2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

Just now, Balcones said:

Air Force is who frightens me in that Baseball America protection.

They still have some work to do. They won their opening game over 1-seed UNLV yesterday so that is why they are projected as the automatic qualifier out of the Mountain West now. I did see where Air Force already burned their best starter so they still have to win two more to clinch.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If A&M ends up with OU or TXST as their 2-seed they aren't making it out of regional play. I also would prefer to not have UTSA as a 3-seed. Solid team. 

Yeah, that d1baseball projection would have me feeling good about the chance to host the super

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Arkansas is about to be 2-6 in the last 8 games. They aren't very good. 

That’s impossible. They’ve told us multiple times they’re the Omahogs. We should listen. 10 trips and no national titles blows our resume out of the water….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Arkansas is about to be 2-6 in the last 8 games. They aren't very good. 

Also sounds like one of their best relievers left the field today and it didn't look good. 

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Omahogs is still the aggy-est shit I've ever seen or heard of from non aggy.

Just fucking embarrassing.

My favorite part was how they had it printed all over their fucking stadium as NC State took them down in front of all their fans. It was beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 6

56 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Omahogs is still the aggy-est shit I've ever seen or heard of from non aggy.

Just fucking embarrassing.

Hey! You can talk all you want when you’ve been national runner up not once, but twice!!!!! 

• Haha 2

Obligatory:
giphy.gif

I love this .gif.
It cracks me up every time someone posts it and/ or when I see it.
While the angle for the second baseman (ss on the other side of the field) can make for an easier catch, in this case you can see that 1B not only had a good angle, but is accounting for the spin and the ball coming back towards the field (as most do). RF may have gotten there also but you know that Arky 2B not only called him off, but more importantly the 1B (who was going to make the catch) and then overran the ball .
Dumbass wanted to be the hero and make the final out but is instead remembered forever in piggy lore for fucking up.

Priceless piggy Omahog giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Looks like the RPI has fallen a handful of spots today to 14. Interestingly projected RPI has us finishing at 21. Even if we fall to around 20 I still think we’ve done enough to host.

Better win just to make sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

D1 currently has Southern Miss as the last national seed. If UTSA can win again today at 12:30 and we can go 2-0 it'd be real hard for the committee to keep us out with Miami and Louisville getting knocked early. 

UTSA did win. Here is hoping little bro wins the Conference USA championship tomorrow.

That should also help us out. Good day.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Pierce is going to have an interesting decision in the regional because Texas is so dependent on Hansen and Gordon. 

Do you risk throwing Morehouse against a midweek caliber opponent/4 seed so then you have Hansen for game 2 and Gordon for game 3? 

No chance in my opinion. You throw Gordon the first game and have Hansen ready for the winners bracket game or an elimination game.

We can’t mess around with any other starter until those two have been used. I don’t care what type of 4 seed we might get. Pierce has also thrown his #2 in the first game in every tournament appearance he’s had at Texas so I bet he leans that way.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No chance in my opinion. You throw Gordon the first game and have Hansen ready for the winners bracket game or an elimination game.

We can’t mess around with any other starter until those two have been used. I don’t care what type of 4 seed we might get. Pierce has also thrown his #2 in the first game in every tournament appearance he’s had at Texas so I bet he leans that way.

This. Don’t even risk ending up in the loser’s bracket. You have 2 legit starters to get you 2-0. Then let everyone else burn staffs and have to beat you twice

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Pierce is going to have an interesting decision in the regional because Texas is so dependent on Hansen and Gordon. 

Do you risk throwing Morehouse against a midweek caliber opponent/4 seed so then you have Hansen for game 2 and Gordon for game 3? 

Absolutely not. Gordon goes game 1, Hansen game 2.

51 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't pick Texas to win it all but every team outside of Tennessee has serious warts. 

I would...but then I am a fanatical homer.

We just need the other pitchers to win a game in the Regionals and in Omaha and we can ride Hansen, Gordon, Stevens, and our offense to the national championship. 

Beat OU first though.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I would...but then I am a fanatical homer.

We just need the other pitchers to win a game in the Regionals and in Omaha and we can ride Hansen, Gordon, Stevens, and our offense to the national championship. 

Beat OU first though.

I'll be interested to see if Tennessee is really the buzzsaw they appear to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whoever made the post regarding our team ERA being #25 got me thinking.

As of now, we are #27 with roughly half of those teams above us being non-P5. We’re at 4.07 with I guess some rounding keeping us out of the #24 spot, also at 4.07. Notre Dame is #19 at 4.03.

There’s been a ton of pants shitting about the staff. Some warranted; some I guess irrational fandom.

Come this time last year, we had Madden, Hansen, Stevens, Witt, Quintanilla and Nixon. We were pretty thin. And it cost us versus MSU in that last game.

So this year, we have Hansen, Stevens and Nixon. All 3 have been lesser versions of themselves. Gordon has been a very good sub for Madden production-wise. Harrison is very solid. Southard has been too. Olivarez damn good. And LeBarron has done well but had limited chances.

Morehouse, Stehle and Eckhardt have fairly live arms and have pitched more than the other bullpen guys. Ultimately, they have not gotten it done.

Pierce has a certain stubbornness to him. It hurts in development of depth. Several of these arms were played, in my opinion, to offset the loss of power arms from last year. So they got more chances than some lesser talented guys.

This years staff has not been helped by several wind aided homers. But I’m confident in saying the strike zones are a less liberal this year too. So if you’re made to bring it over the plate and the ball gets good carry, that is a strong recipe for offensive success. It’s not just the bullpen walks that it has impacted, but it impacted Stevens and Hansen as well.

So the question is the #3 starter. It’s not Harrison. It’s not Southard. It’s not Nixon. Maybe it’s Duplantier. Maybe it’s Olivarez. Maybe it’s Morehouse. Get guys to throw 1-2 innings. Stevens is not a guy to get you 7+ innings, but if you bring him in the 3rd, he could take you almost all the way home. The contrast to a large extent from last year to this year has been a lack of defined roles. Harrison and Southard come in at any time. Nixon could as well. From memory, it really wasn’t that way last year. And I realize that our starter has been less consistent. Harrison, Southard and Nixon are your 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys. Gordon and Hansen are your top two starters. Set that in stone and go from there. Sometimes having faith in a guy is borne and his confidence grows in having well established expectations/roles.

• Hook 'Em 3

Sometimes having faith in a guy is borne and his confidence grows in having well established expectations/roles.

Well said @Had Enough.

Surprisingly,  we lead the B12 in ERA.    Kyle Peterson, ESPN, said pitching is down across the NCAA this year.   That said,  pitchers need to be developed and shown confidence.

Frank Anderson has Tennessee at 2.37.   Wow !

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2022

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/211

44 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Come this time last year, we had Madden, Hansen, Stevens, Witt, Quintanilla and Nixon. We were pretty thin. And it cost us versus MSU in that last game.

So this year, we have Hansen, Stevens and Nixon. All 3 have been lesser versions of themselves. Gordon has been a very good sub for Madden production-wise. Harrison is very solid. Southard has been too. Olivarez damn good. And LeBarron has done well but had limited chances.

The biggest difference is last year we had two guys who could go multiple innings out of the bullpen (Witt and Quintanilla) AND a shutdown closer. We didn’t lose that last game due to being thin. We had a fully rested Quintanilla out there. Having 6 reliable arms on a pitching staff in the postseason is damn good in college baseball.

Hansen hasn’t been a lesser version of himself this year. He’s been just as good as last year and Gordon has been just as good as Stevens was last year. Biggest difference is we don’t have guys who can reliably go multiple innings out of the bullpen. You have to flip a coin anytime Harrison, Nixon, Johnson or Southard come into a game. You didn’t have to worry about consistent strikes with Quintanilla or Witt last year (and Nixon for that matter).

Having Stevens potentially settle down in the closers role is great but we are still missing the setup men we had last year who got us to the 8th and 9th innings when the starter only went 6 or 7. Along with also missing a 3rd starter.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

It won't surprise me to see Aggy left out of a national seed.

They should be with their bullshit cancelling games to help their shitty RPI not be so shitty. Send coaches a message that it will not be tolerated, and when Douchenozzle cries about it. Tell him to man up and play all the games he scheduled.