2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Three college world series appearances in the last four seasons for David Pierce. I know this is the expectation but he's a good coach.

How many other coaches have done this in the last four seasons? 

Don't know the answer to your second question, but I feel like Pierce's philosophy isn't all that far off of Chris Beard's philosophy.  It's about the post season.  Shave and taper, so to speak.  As long as Pierce gets us to Omaha as many years as not, I'll be happy.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't know the answer to your second question, but I feel like Pierce's philosophy isn't all that far off of Chris Beard's philosophy.  It's about the post season.  Shave and taper, so to speak.  As long as Pierce gets us to Omaha as many years as not, I'll be happy.

A lot of fans will (and should) forgive inconsistent regular season results for postseason success.  Beard's philosophy.  Softball's champ series appearance this year (and 3 straight super regional appearances).  Vic's back to back Elite 8 appearances.  No one remembers that you lost a series or a game against Texas Tech if you end up making a run to the CWS/WCWS/Sweet 16 or Elite 8. 

This is Pierce's first CWS appearance at Texas after finishing worst than 1st in the Big 12, which is a testament to how strong the league was (or parity).  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

A lot of fans will (and should) forgive inconsistent regular season results for postseason success.  Beard's philosophy.  Softball's champ series appearance this year (and 3 straight super regional appearances).  Vic's back to back Elite 8 appearances.  No one remembers that you lost a series or a game against Texas Tech if you end up making a run to the CWS/WCWS/Sweet 16 or Elite 8. 

This is Pierce's first CWS appearance at Texas after finishing worst than 1st in the Big 12, which is a testament to how strong the league was (or parity).  

I mean, someone remembers...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

All I’ve ever given a shit about is whether or not the program (whichever sport) is at the final table when the cards are dealt. If we’re continually there at the end, titles will come. I’ll take my chances with Pierce going to the CWS 10 out of 20 years.  There’s a title or three in there somewhere if he’s doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I’ve ever given a shit about is whether or not the program (whichever sport) is at the final table when the cards are dealt. If we’re continually there at the end, titles will come. I’ll take my chances with Pierce going to the CWS 10 out of 20 years.  There’s a title or three in there somewhere if he’s doing that. 

Yep.  Winning the conference regular season and not making a super regional sure seems to be the suck.  I'd rather finish 3rd, 4th, 5th and go on a postseason run than to lose in the regional round

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  Winning the conference regular season and not making a super regional sure seems to be the suck.  I'd rather finish 3rd, 4th, 5th and go on a postseason run than to lose in the regional round

Losing in the regional round is the worst kind of hell. Especially if it is because some team has a little speed freak playing centerfield (fucking Ollie and UC Irvine!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

What are his hitting numbers? It’s great that he made all defense but he plays 3rd which means he needs to be able to hit. 

I don't know his numbers, but the article suggests he's pretty good...

Now, they lose one of their best hitters to the portal. Denton led the Crimson Tide in both RBIs and home runs this season. Denton also played third base and was a fairly reliable fielder. Just an all-around good ball player. So, a major loss to Alabama’s lineup.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What are his hitting numbers? It’s great that he made all defense but he plays 3rd which means he needs to be able to hit. 

.263, 48 RBI, 13 HR, 12 doubles.  .971 fielder

• Hook 'Em 1

First year, almost makes supers.  Has one bad season.  That 2020 team looked pretty damn good too.  If not for COVID, could be going to our 3rd straight CWS and 4th in the past 5 years.

As I recall, both our diamond sports looked like legit title contenders early in the 2020 season.  God damnit. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That 2020 team was going to be so damn good. Elder, Stevens, Madden, Hansen, healthy Duplantier, Donny Diaz, Quintanilla.

The hitting would have been the question mark but we had the horses to get to Omaha.

That team was going to be amazing. I was really amped for that season. 

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That 2020 team was going to be so damn good. Elder, Stevens, Madden, Hansen, healthy Duplantier, Donny Diaz, Quintanilla.

The hitting would have been the question mark but we had the horses to get to Omaha.

Yeah but with Stehly, Williams, Kennedy, Duke, Hodo, Zubia and Todd would’ve done just fine. Who knows how Silas and Faltine would’ve progressed. Bet that team would’ve pulled a 2021. Whatever. Fuck you, Covid. Fuckin everything up  

Not sure where to put this, but when I was looking up Messinger's Big 12 stats for previous years (they really were horrible), I saw that Zubia hit 1 (one) double in conference play last year.  That's bizarre.

In any case, it's an understatement to say that Messinger has had a fucking outstanding year.  I did not see that coming, and I'm guessing it's a combination of increased experience and much better (Tulo) coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, Antico then Messinger.  Holy transfer portal, Batman.

He's turned it on much like Antico.  However, I sense that Antico was more of a leader/stabilizing force last year, although we shouldn't need it as badly with another year's experience under the belt, collectively.  We did need it, though.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Tulo is what make this a great hitting program. We need to do everything we can to keep him around.

I fear at some point somebody is going to want him to be a head coach though.

Not to take away from Tulo too much, but I wonder how much of it is actually using the available technology.  One of the major criticisms of Augie was his non-use of modern baseball technology.