2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

Not sure if its Tulo or what, but this year’s team is so different hitting its absurd. Of the ~50 player batting seasons from Pierce’s 5 full years here, this team has like 5 of the top 10. And Im pretty sure all 9 of the starters from the super would be in the top 20. Just a completely different performance.

Can anybody with season tickets comment on their past experience claiming tickets for CWS?  Ever had request not get fulfilled? 

As a younger, non Surly 1%'er, my $99 GA season ticket (and low loyalty point status) probably puts me pretty far down the pecking order.  

Edited by 40acredropout

Latest draft report per Bohls,  fwiw.     Second link is Jim Callis' (reputable writer) first round draft projection.    Tech's Jace Jung at #10.

6. Prospects galore. Saw a list of the projected top 200 players for the Major League Baseball draft, a 20-round affair from July 17-19. And I’m still shocked scouts aren’t drooling more over Ivan Melendez than they are. Many still see the Texas slugger as a one-tool guy even though he has played very well at first base. MLB.com listed him as only the 115th best prospect in this draft. The report said he does have “plus-plus raw power” (duh) but “doesn’t have standout bat speed,” leading to concerns he could struggle against top-velocity pitchers. “Melendez still doesn’t offer much value beyond his bat, and a righty-hitting first baseman is the least attractive profile for pro teams.” Whatever. … Other draftables include Hansen (No. 125), a left-handed pitcher with killer slider and precision; Faltine (No. 149), a shortstop with concerns he’s overly aggressive at the plate and too pull-happy; Ardoin (No. 150), considered the best catcher in college baseball and who improved hitting numbers; and Hodo (No. 200), a speedy center fielder with some pop. All the Texas high school stars named are going to other schools save for Brandeis shortstop Jalin Flores (No. 91), who could easily sign a pro contract or would be draft-eligible as a college sophomore if he comes to campus.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/2022/06/15/texas-king-college-sports-doesnt-mind-seeing-those-horns-down/7627208001/

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2022-historic-focus-on-offense

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would be really nice to get screwed in the draft this year with our 2022 class considering the amount of holes we will have on the roster.

I think Bolte is the only kid that everyone can probably agree won’t make it to campus. Although, Jalin Flores keeps moving up with every new top prospects list I see. Cutter Coffey is also a bit of a wildcard. 

Edited by Horny Bull

5 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

I think Bolte is the only kid that everyone can probably agree won’t make it to campus. Although, Jalin Flores keeps moving up with every new top prospects list I see. Cutter Coffey is also a bit of a wildcard. 

I think I agree. Would love to see Flores on campus. Think he is a day 1 starter. Most important positions to replace next year will be SS and C. Getting Flores on campus would be huge and I also think Rylan Galvan will push for playing time behind the plate immediately. He is a stud.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think I agree. Would love to see Flores on campus. Think he is a day 1 starter. Most important positions to replace next year will be SS and C. Getting Flores on campus would be huge and I also think Rylan Galvan will push for playing time behind the plate immediately. He is a stud.

I’ve been assuming O’Dowd is gonna take over at short next year 

I went ahead and answered my question from earlier. Here are the number of College World Series appearances in the last 4 full seasons by head coach. 

David Pierce 3

Dave Van Horn 3

Tim Tadlock 2

David Esquer 2

Chris Lemonis 2

Tim Corbin 2

Butch Thompson 2

*No other coach has multiple appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Last years team had 2 players in the lineup hitting over .300. This years team has 6. 

Man the pitching last year though. You felt if starting pitchers had a good outing , the hitters would find enough production and we could beat anyone. We were so close vs Miss Aggie. It was a Fun, likeable team.

This year it feels like we need to score 9 to win with our erratic pitching, yet we are more often than not fully capable of doing just that against anyone. Also, fun likeable team.

2020 Could have been Lit, as the kids say.

I still trust 2 of our starting pitchers. 

Hansen and Gordon are good starters. Some are expecting last years pitching numbers when there's been an offensive explosion because of the wind and/or juiced baseballs. Nobody is producing spectacular pitching numbers and Texas still has the 2nd or 3rd best pitching staff at the College World Series. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed