2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He will if he hits .236 in conference again.

Where did he typically hit in their order?  I looked at one box score and got bored. 

From some quick tape---He's got a knack for hitting the gaps, I'll give him that.  South Austin's Mom approves.  He is prone to striking out more than you'd like to see for a guy with that lack of overall power though. 

Depends on if we can find another lefty bat between now and then, but yeah---looks like a 7 spotter.  I didn't realize his glove was a bit suspect, maybe just a fluke this year.  His range and arm are good, just sometimes fumbles shit more than you'd like to see.  Good, but not quite what we're used to at Texas in terms of infield play.  He should come along fine though, great singles/doubles hitter.  Small dropoff from Cam, but not much.  Maybe he flourishes here, who knows? We need another left bat in the bottom half of the order though.  

Would really like to see one more grad transfer at either OF/DH kinda role or setup/spot starter kinda stuff on the staff.  

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

From some quick tape---He's got a knack for hitting the gaps, I'll give him that.  South Austin's Mom approves.  He is prone to striking out more than you'd like to see for a guy with that lack of overall power though. 

Depends on if we can find another lefty bat between now and then, but yeah---looks like a 7 spotter.  I didn't realize his glove was a bit suspect, maybe just a fluke this year.  His range and arm are good, just sometimes fumbles shit more than you'd like to see.  Good, but not quite what we're used to at Texas in terms of infield play.  He should come along fine though, great singles/doubles hitter.  Small dropoff from Cam, but not much.  Maybe he flourishes here, who knows? We need another left bat in the bottom half of the order though.  

Would really like to see one more grad transfer at either OF/DH kinda role or setup/spot starter kinda stuff on the staff.  

They already have one. Gavin Kash. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

After 2010-2019's lost decade, sure feels like Texas is moving into a new decade with new leadership in Bellmont and competent, hungry head coaches who want championships. 

Versus going into the 2010s with a bunch of burnt out coaches just coasting for retirement checks and a checked out AD and university president which led into a bunch of incompetent coaches and incompetent AD. 

People need to be giving CDC a lot more credit.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Oh my Gash.  

You're a chick?

In 2020, he had 2 HRs and 2 SBs. Not sure he fits a role Pierce had last year. Is he looking for a base hit guy?

Yeah seems several have given the spot to him. Nothing about his stat line says he’s the starter.

He very well could be transferring for the degree and a shot at playing for what could be an elite team. Not some guaranteed spot.

Only Silas can hit 2 or fewer homers and get lots of playing time. And he wouldn’t be getting that opportunity at 3rd.

Yeah, not sure if you remember 2020...but a lot of people had career lows in HRs and SBs.  Messinger doesn't steal bases but he runs 'em well (43 runs scored in 56 games in a dogshit lineup).  Doesn't walk much and strikes out more than you'd like for a guy with that little power.  But he's a gap hitter.  Singles and doubles every weekend.  He'll flourish more with that at Disch-Falk.  He's a touch below arm and range than Cam, but not by much.  Overall, we'll be about the same by season's end at 3b with this guy, better than a dropoff I suppose.  One more utility infielder emerging from the dugout would be very welcomed.  Barring any major injuries (we are not terribly deep in the field next year with so many new faces)...we are a Top 1 or 2 defensively and a Top 3-5 offensively.  Our lineup won't have as many "stars" but we'll go better 1-9 than this past year.  

On 7/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not if you don’t use his name, image, or likeness. 

That's what's weird to me.  It's not explicitly against the Texas law or any other that I have seen, but developing a "brand" that isn't NIL is really kind of beyond the scope of all this.

47 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Slashed .236/.299/.348 in conference.

Williams went .360/.442/.707 in conference.

Well to be fair to Messinger, he was just 2/11 in conference play versus Texas.  So consider he won't have to face that pitching again this season, it gets a little better.  I agree, he's not a massive threat.  I think overall, by mid-season, he's comparable overall to Cam, not an upgrade by any means.  Just not a drop-off is all.  He can even back up Faltine at times if needed at SS and give somebody else some reps at 3b.  one thing I know is based on his swing and hips, he'll love the larger gaps at Disch-Falk.  

Power at 3b at Texas is not a necessity, it's a 'nice to have.'  Cam slugged very well this season.  But historically, we have had good lineups without much damage from 3b.  We've had some standouts there, but typically-it's been a field well, throw great, hit above average.  I'm not excited about this Messinger transfer, I just think he'll plug in fine.  We need more outfield production at the plate, that much is obvious.  Messinger can slide over to SS to give a guy who might be a DH/3B type some reps in the field in later innings/midweek as well.  I dunno, the coaches brought him here for a reason beside gapping doubles and a good arm.  He mostly hit third at KU, he's a #7 hitter here, maybe #8 against righties with good breaking balls/offspeed stuff.   

Could someone who does Twitter tweet @TexasBaseball and ask to tweet a Summer League Roster ?    TexasSports no longer publishes the roster.

Hope Melendez is somewhere working on a position (or receiving individual instruction).    Summer League rosters are often incomplete/inaccurate, but what is known/listed:

Campbell is playing 3B at Santa Barbara this Summer,  hitting .422 but fielding .786.   6 errors in 10 games.

CapeCod

Gordon, Hodo - Falmouth  (Gordon made the Cape All Star game)

Witt -  Chatham

Faltine, Hansen - Brewster

Southard - Orleans

CCL

Campbell, Eckardt, Nixon - Santa Barbara

Coastal Plain League

Johnson - Lexington

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, not sure if you remember 2020...but a lot of people had career lows in HRs and SBs.  Messinger doesn't steal bases but he runs 'em well (43 runs scored in 56 games in a dogshit lineup).  Doesn't walk much and strikes out more than you'd like for a guy with that little power.  But he's a gap hitter.  Singles and doubles every weekend.  He'll flourish more with that at Disch-Falk.  He's a touch below arm and range than Cam, but not by much.  Overall, we'll be about the same by season's end at 3b with this guy, better than a dropoff I suppose.  One more utility infielder emerging from the dugout would be very welcomed.  Barring any major injuries (we are not terribly deep in the field next year with so many new faces)...we are a Top 1 or 2 defensively and a Top 3-5 offensively.  Our lineup won't have as many "stars" but we'll go better 1-9 than this past year.  

Did you mean 2020? I assume so since that was many guys first year here. But we only played 17 games and didn’t hit the hotter months in which the ball travels better. I’d assume Kansas is more homer friendly and guess their non-conference schedule is weaker than ours, which based on Messingers numbers is where he shined. The conference numbers won’t fly.

He doesn’t need to exhibit home run power but those conference numbers don’t come close to substantial playing time here. And he’d need to exhibit quite a bit of gap power since his speed seems limited. A guy like Stehly could match his numbers so again not a clear start. Now I’m not saying he won’t be the starter, but he’ll have to earn it. You referenced him not walking much, but he’ll have to take pitches here so no telling how that’ll work out. It’s a good add with limited downside so let’s see it play out.

Wow !  very sorry to hear !   

Hopefully,  Drew has trained someone on the complexity of being the Director of Baseball Operations to assume the position or assist the selectee.  His uber congenial personality and knowledge will be difficult to replace.

He was a member of the '05 Championship Team.    Best always to Drew and his Family  !

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, torre said:

Wow !  very sorry to hear !   

Hopefully,  Drew has trained someone on the complexity of being the Director of Baseball Operations to assume the position or assist the selectee.  His uber congenial personality and knowledge will be difficult to replace.

He was a member of the '05 Championship Team.    Best always to Drew and his Family  !

Ugh.  Drew's a good kid/guy and his family is super nice.  His Dad was an editorial cartoonist and artist for DMN for a number of years and is a UT grad and former football player.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Didn't Campbell play outfield for us last year?

Yes,  but infielder in high school.    With the transfers (Messinger, O'Dowd) seems he will remain in OF and/or DH.   No idea if he is a 1B candidate.