Latino/Hispanic Ultimate Catch All Thread of Culture, Language, Food, Travel and Identity (gringos welcome)

51 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep it's confusing to outsiders as to why "The Valley" is called the a Valley when it's not even close to a technical definition of a valley.  The closest Mountain range is the Sierra Madre (Monterrey)  to the west and southwest which on a crystal clear day, you can Cerro de la Silla from Falcon Lake on the US side.   To the North is Coastal plains and desert and to the the due south it's much the same for a couple of hundred miles and of course to the east is the GOM.    Technically it's a river delta and back before the Rio Grande was controlled with dams and other diversion devices, the Rio Grande changed courses many times and the old River beds are still there other wise known as Rasacas which you start seeing around the Harlingen area as you progress towards Brownsville.    The Valley term was primarily used to lure investors and other money down to the area post Civil War into the 20th Century  and it worked for the most part as it brought agricultural infrastructure in that is still used today.  Many of the towns are named after some of those people or have streets, schools or other things named after them.  

Not just the Valley, the MAGIC Valley. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Did your Dad have anything to do with MMA (Marine Military Academy) in Harlingen?  Just asking because many retired Leathernecks end up down there teaching or being an administrator at that prep school,

Yep.  A lot of retired Marines end up at MMA in some capacity, and many stay down in the Valley for good.  There's some chance my parents would've stayed in Harlingen, but me and my kid brother settling in Austin and giving them four grandkids brought them to the Austin area. 

Just now, South Austin said:

Yep.  A lot of retired Marines end up at MMA in some capacity, and many stay down in the Valley for good.  There's some chance my parents would've stayed in Harlingen, but me and my kid brother settling in Austin and giving them four grandkids brought them to the Austin area. 

And, I mean, your mom's work was portable.

Speaking of Mexican Nationals hell yea those dudes got money. I was working for Motorola on a wifi project and some of the IT guys from the city took us out to some strip clubs and parties. Went to a big fucking ranch with a huge house on it and a 23 years old Mexican national living there solo. I didn't ask any questions but drugs were everywhere. I remember my CIO got pulled over for a DUI and with a stripper he was taking home from the club. Somehow that 23 year old dude got him out of everything. Still not sure how that worked but lucky as shit.

/csb 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Gracias, Maximillian!

Poor Maximillian. CSB: I try as often as I can to visit the Habsburg royal crypt in the Capuchin Church when I am in Vienna. Only a few sarcophagi always have fresh flowers (Sisi the most), and Maximillian’s is one of those. In red, white and green.

He was a man not nearly as ruthless and scheming as he needed to be to make a real run at the stunningly awful task he selected for himself. And his life story reveals how completely foreign the inner lives of European autocratic royalty are to us mere moderns. We are talking about a man who may have escaped execution if he could have brought himself to bear the indignity of shaving his beard to help effect his mistake, a man who ordered thousands executed and then gave gold pieces to each of the members of his firing squad. 

Austriae est imperare orbi universo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I enjoy making various kinds of salsa.  I recently was looking at a salsa roja recipe that after blending the ingredients, they would fry the salsa in a pot with a couple tbsp of oil, then bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Then chill and serve.

Is this a common practice to fry in oil and simmer?  Just for red sauce?

You might as well ask for naked pics of my wife.  Don't you know my salsa is the next one to be sold at HEB.  Can't risk giving you my secrets. 

Ok, I'll give you this.  Dump the blender and get a molcajete.  Someone else can assist from here.  I've given away too much.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Speaking of Mexican Nationals hell yea those dudes got money. I was working for Motorola on a wifi project and some of the IT guys from the city took us out to some strip clubs and parties. Went to a big fucking ranch with a huge house on it and a 23 years old Mexican national living there solo. I didn't ask any questions but drugs were everywhere. I remember my CIO got pulled over for a DUI and with a stripper he was taking home from the club. Somehow that 23 year old dude got him out of everything. Still not sure how that worked but lucky as shit.

/csb 

CSB: Hanging out on the beach at SPI one time with a couple buddies, all of us wearing our lifeguard trunks (from a Valley city pool, no beach lifeguards back then). A Mexican national dude, dressed in track pants and and a designer shirt, all the rage for that set in the 1990s a bit older from us comes and asks us if we could ride the banana boat with their “cousins”, who don’t swim well. Cousins are all these stunning fresas. Um, sure, but that that shit is expensive.

No worries, he said. He will pay for all of us. “Just don’t touch her if she don’t need no help.” Those girls and us rode that damn banana boat four times and it easily cost him 200 bucks or more to pay for strangers to ride the damn thing around. And yes, they needed some “help“ getting back on the boat every time the operator dumped us off in the Gulf.

• Hook 'Em 1

Poor Maximillian. CSB: I try as often as I can to visit the Habsburg royal crypt in the Capuchin Church when I am in Vienna. Only a few sarcophagi always have fresh flowers (Sisi the most), and Maximillian’s is one of those. In red, white and green.
He was a man not nearly as ruthless and scheming as he needed to be to make a real run at the stunningly awful task he selected for himself. And his life story reveals how completely foreign the inner lives of European autocratic royalty are to us mere moderns. We are talking about a man who may have escaped execution if he could have brought himself to bear the indignity of shaving his beard to help effect his mistake, a man who ordered thousands executed and then gave gold pieces to each of the members of his firing squad. 

Austriae est imperare orbi universo. 
Verdad.  My kids love the story of Maximillian, and we absolutely visited his sarcophagus in Vienna.  He asked for mariachis to play as he was executed.  What an odd duck.

70012db0212269930056a22a9204aeb8.jpg
7872eb6369ef534fc52162e49988f653.jpg

6 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Mexican Fast Food 

In their prime...what order?

Taco Palenque (Valley) v Taco Cabana (SA) v Chachos (SA) v El Taco Tote (El Paso) v Rosa's (Ft. Worth) v  Taco Bueno (Dallas)

How can you not have Las Palapas on there. I’d take it over everything but Taco palenque.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

How can you not have Las Palapas on there. I’d take it over everything but Taco palenque.

Taco Bueno is a nonstarter for me, it’s a step above Taco Bell and works only as drunk food with no other options.. Taco Cabana in its heyday was solid. Palenque is so far out front it’s not funny.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

These are all TX franchises so no Taco Bell.  Some didn't make it like Taco Casa cause they just suck.  The others are all in the major cities.  LP too small still. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

more food pics...plz

dog GIF

It is kind of weird, or maybe not so much, but I just don't have a ton of food pics.  But here is the absolute most amazing squid dish I have ever eaten.  I was in Paraty, Brazil...

spacer.png

And the first thing you gotta do when returning to Brazil...some Guaraná and coxinha...

spacer.png

There are thousands and thousands of cachaça distilleries in Brazil.  I was in a store in Brotas, São Paulo and they had a collection of vintage bottles...

spacer.png

Poke some fun at culture.  In my mother in law's house there was a new wall clock, then I noticed it hadn't been removed from the box and just taped to the wall (very cropped phone pic, sorry for quality)...

spacer.png

My girls hanging out at their cousin's apartment in the interior of São Paulo...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

These are all TX franchises so no Taco Bell.  Some didn't make it like Taco Casa cause they just suck.  The others are all in the major cities.  LP too small still. 

El Pato kicks most of those places ass, because every time you dine, it’s fiesta time. They’re the Valley’s Amigo, EL PATO!!!

Also, El Pato is freaking good. When I was a picky four year old they’d make me a warm PBJ taco and I will be forever loyal to them for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Taco Bueno is a nonstarter for me, it’s a step above Taco Bell and works only as drunk food with no other options.. Taco Cabana in its heyday was solid. Palenque is so far out front it’s not funny.

Agreed, but that's how Dallas represents.  That or Taco Casa.  Houston doesn't even have one to offer up.  Sad.  

58 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Mexican Fast Food 

Taco Palenque (Valley) v Taco Cabana (SA) v Chachos (SA) v El Taco Tote (El Paso) v Rosa's (Ft. Worth) v  Taco Bueno (Dallas)

Blasphemy!!!   

https://elpatomexicanfood.com/

El Pato back in the RGV was the bomb!   None of the above could hold the Ducks nuts. None!!!!

I think it was sold and later bought back by the family who started it in the 1970's

46 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

El Pato kicks most of those places ass, because every time you dine, it’s fiesta time. They’re the Valley’s Amigo, EL PATO!!!

Also, El Pato is freaking good. When I was a picky four year old they’d make me a warm PBJ taco and I will be forever loyal to them for that. 

Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

54 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Taco Bell was good for us poor college students to eat cheap and gain that quick 15 or more pounds.

Taco Cabana was decent back before they tried to go to out of state markets and sold to an investor sometime back in the late 90's or 2000's.  Kind of sounds like another Texas brand......  Just saying keep it real Whataburger.

55 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This right here

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Blasphemy!!!   

https://elpatomexicanfood.com/

El Pato back in the RGV was the bomb!   None of the above could hold the Ducks nuts. None!!!!

I think it was sold and later bought back by the family who started it in the 1970's

Maybe i'd have an opinion but they never made it to Htown, SA, Austin or DFW.   I here they are a Rosa's clone which i like.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I grew up in Houston.  In the late 70s early 80s, after that dumbass "killed Halloween" in Houston, my mother decided our neighborhood kids needed SOMETHING for the holiday, so she organized a little Halloween Carnival.  Wasn't a big deal, haunted house, activity booths, the usual.  BUT, they needed some food options, especially for the adults hanging out while their kids ran around.  My dad said "I'll make tacos de carne asada."  Other people on the committee didn't know what they were.  He said "don't worry, you'll like em."  Simple as shit -- pretty sure he used skirt steak (it was still cheap then), marinated in lime juice and salt.  He borrowed someone's big-ass grill, and used mesquite coals.  Grill the meat, slice and put on a tortilla for a buck or two.  The first year, he sold out in an hour.  And every year after that, everyone in the hood was lined up when the carnival started to get their tacos.

He was kind of amazed.  "They're just damned carne asada.  The kind of shit we had at every backyard party in Eagle Pass my whole life."  But to the mostly gringo hood in Houston in 1978, they were the most amazing, exotic thing they'd ever had.  And then, as my dad puts it, those fuckers at Chili's started selling fajitas, every gringo figured them out, and skirt steak went from $.79 lb to $5 lb.

And that’s how your dad ruined fajitas for all Texicans !!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Mexican Fast Food 

The og taco cabana in SA was damn good 

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I was about to say, you can't make a list like that and not have El Pato on there. I still dream about that Chicken Guisada taco (and an order of nachos I think) during the year I lived in Edinburg in 2011. 

I'm one of those damn Tejanos everybody from other countries seems to misunderstand. Parents from South Texas, an abuela born in Shiner and another in Kingsville. We make up those words because we're only kinda Mexican, and (to some others) only kinda American. As I've grown older I think my dad's growing fascination with Mexico (Kingsville graduate, he served in AF during Vietnam) has rubbed off on me. Not til his 40s/50s did he really start to show an interest in Mexican music, soccer, novelas, w/e. Now I find myself an adult appreciating Mexico and other Latin countries a lot more for how we exist in the U.S. (at least for those of us not afraid of claiming it).

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How about garapa, or guarapa in Spanish? Y’all messkins drink it? Love it with lime or pineapple.

That stuff in the Goya cans? I’ve seen it in stores but I’ve never tried it since I didn’t really know what it was. 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That stuff in the Goya cans? I’ve seen it in stores but I’ve never tried it since I didn’t really know what it was. 

I have never seen that.  Will need to investigate.  I have only had it fresh, usually from a guy parked at the cathedral in my wife's hometown.  Pressed sugar cane to extract the juice, then add juice of lime, pineapple or other fruit.  Really good.

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

syuoytx1krsfubx9lmug.jpg

Saltenas from Bolivia are something I have never found in the U.S. Such a unique taste. 

I think my uncle used to have a daily standing order at Pacena for 20 (10 carne/10 chicken).  He said it was to share at the office, but nobody believed him.

There were always contests to not spill a drop on your plate.  The loser had to buy the next days order.

12 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I was about to say, you can't make a list like that and not have El Pato on there. I still dream about that Chicken Guisada taco (and an order of nachos I think) during the year I lived in Edinburg in 2011. 

I'm one of those damn Tejanos everybody from other countries seems to misunderstand. Parents from South Texas, an abuela born in Shiner and another in Kingsville. We make up those words because we're only kinda Mexican, and (to some others) only kinda American. As I've grown older I think my dad's growing fascination with Mexico (Kingsville graduate, he served in AF during Vietnam) has rubbed off on me. Not til his 40s/50s did he really start to show an interest in Mexican music, soccer, novelas, w/e. Now I find myself an adult appreciating Mexico and other Latin countries a lot more for how we exist in the U.S. (at least for those of us not afraid of claiming it).

Speaking of Kingsville and Tex Mex... There used to be two places over there I used to like ..    El Jardin which burned down back sometime in the 90's .   And Casa De Tacos for a quick bite.    They used to serve their food in tin foil trays like we had back in the day for TV Dinners.   I think  Casa De Tacos is still open?

Your Abuela born in Shiner might have some German or Czech in her bloodline.  

• Hook 'Em 1

When I get hungry in San Antonio, what I do is

1. Get on a surface street, preferably one that is a pre-Interstate-highway road to an adjacent town. I head inward.

2. GPS? What the hell is a GPS? I look at stuff and wait to smell food through the open window.

3. The place will appear to me. It will have

A. Work trucks with ladders.

B. Bars on the windows.

C. A name related to some town where Pancho Villa was in a battle.

4. Inside,

A. The menu will be written on different pieces of fluorescent poster board.

B. The waitress will duck and hide in the kitchen if you don't look Mexican, because she doesn't know any English or she has paperwork concerns. You can head this off by saying something friendly in Spanish before she gets too far away.

C. Start every conversation by asking if they have lengua today. I don't know why. Just do.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lucky enough to have traveled through 3/4 of Latin America and a good chunk of the world.  

Here are my death row meals:

Best breakfast is central american.....over easy eggs, refried beans, Salvadoran queso duro, plantains, and a tamal de elote with crema with a side of thick ass tortillas.   Don't bring that hollandaise and poached bullshit to this thread cuz you lying.

Best lunch is Texas bbq, American cheeseburger, or Mexico City street taco

Best dinner is Argentinean bife de ojo with 2 to 5 gallons of chimichurri on side

Best dessert is French nutella crepe.

I don't apologize that 2 out of 3 meals are Latin american...and lunch could squeeze in mexican to make it 3 for 3 (but I'd go bbq, gun to head).

I love many other cuisines so I'm not a hater but was inspired by this post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I get hungry in San Antonio, what I do is

1. Get on a surface street, preferably one that is a pre-Interstate-highway road to an adjacent town. I head inward.

2. GPS? What the hell is a GPS? I look at stuff and wait to smell food through the open window.

3. The place will appear to me. It will have

A. Work trucks with ladders.

B. Bars on the windows.

C. A name related to some town where Pancho Villa was in a battle.

4. Inside,

A. The menu will be written on different pieces of fluorescent poster board.

B. The waitress will duck and hide in the kitchen if you don't look Mexican, because she doesn't know any English or she has paperwork concerns. You can head this off by saying something friendly in Spanish before she gets too far away.

C. Start every conversation by asking if they have lengua today. I don't know why. Just do.

Good way of finding the good stuff for sure....   I Would add what you don't know about their last inspection from the local health department is ok....  kind of site unseen..  LOL

My rule of thumb when it comes to finding outstanding places for Tex-Mex style food 

1) Restaurants named after the family, a member of the family,  or some  figure in Mexican/ Tejano lore are much better than Taqueria 'Whatever"  Chances are the cooks have been there for a very long time, maybe as long as the place has been open.  Or they are family members themselves.     The newer Taquerias are owned and operated by newer immigrants who don't necessary understand some of the special ingredients or prep  that go into genuine Tex Mex.  And then if they own multiple locations, the consistency flows like a roller coaster.   They are good places though to pick up simple breakfast tacos.   They got that down for the most part.

2) Agreed the off the beaten path is the way to find the better places.   Smaller town South Texas or Texas for that matter has more of these options vs the bigger cities, IMO. The places in the larger cities can become tourist draws which is OK if you have an hour to wait for a table.

3) One can also find some damn good Tex Mex at places that are not necessarily known for it for which some are owned and operated by Gringos.    One of the better places around here that had some darn good Enchiladas was up in Sinton, but was more known for it's Chicken Fried and Hamburger Steaks.   

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I think my uncle used to have a daily standing order at Pacena for 20 (10 carne/10 chicken).  He said it was to share at the office, but nobody believed him.

There were always contests to not spill a drop on your plate.  The loser had to buy the next days order.

Having a clean shirt after eating one, is nearly impossible. And don't bite down hard on the olive pit and crack a tooth. These and a hot cup of api and I'm in heaven. Miss them both so much. 

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

One can also find some damn good Tex Mex at places that are not necessarily known for it for which some are owned and operated by Gringos.    One of the better places around here that had some darn good Enchiladas was up in Sinton, but was more known for it's Chicken Fried and Hamburger Steaks.   

I remember back 40+ years ago, some of the best tex-mex cheese enchiladas around could be found at.....Don's Hungry Farmer, a south texas CFS/diner type joint.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How about garapa, or guarapa in Spanish? Y’all messkins drink it? Love it with lime or pineapple.

Never heard of it. Thanks to this thread I did have arepas last night for the first time in over a year, damn good

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

My wife has requested my caipirinha making skills for the Brazil game on Friday. We will be in Fulton so had to make a run today. Even in Houston, cachaça is slim pickings. The 51 is for mixing. It’s probably the most widely distributed pinga and you can even by it in 12oz cans in grocery stores in Brazil. 

spacer.png

Picking up that cheap ass firewater made me think of how more than a few times in Brazil when we needed an accelerant for a churrasco, we would drive to the gas station and pump 100% ethanol for lighter fluid. That is probably unique to Brazil because of the widespread use of ethanol. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Lucky enough to have traveled through 3/4 of Latin America and a good chunk of the world.  

Here are my death row meals:

Best breakfast is central south american.....over easy eggs, refried beans, Salvadoran queso duro, plantains, and a tamal de elote with crema with a side of thick ass tortillas.   Don't bring that hollandaise and poached bullshit to this thread cuz you lying.

hold up, playah.  that 3/4 of latin america include the places that serve bandeja paisa or cachapas for breakfast?

4cgydlbidpu21.jpg

cachapa-con-queso-y-combinada-con-pernil

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hornimal said:

hold up, playah.  that 3/4 of latin america include the places that serve bandeja paisa or cachapas for breakfast?

4cgydlbidpu21.jpg

cachapa-con-queso-y-combinada-con-pernil

I don't even know what those are.....but I would eat the HELL out of em.  Esp the top plate, with the chicharrones. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't even know what those are.....but I would eat the HELL out of em.  Esp the top plate, with the chicharrones. 

Colombian-style chicharrones changed my world a bit. There's a little truck off East 6th (artessano) I ordered from regularly pre-covid. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Speaking of Kingsville and Tex Mex... There used to be two places over there I used to like ..    El Jardin which burned down back sometime in the 90's .   And Casa De Tacos for a quick bite.    They used to serve their food in tin foil trays like we had back in the day for TV Dinners.   I think  Casa De Tacos is still open?

Your Abuela born in Shiner might have some German or Czech in her bloodline.  

Damn I think casa de tacos has been there forever. The only place my family frequents these days is El Dorado, because they got the carne guisada down and the flour tortillas are homemade and nice & dusty. Only been to Kingsville once in the past 5 years or so though, to lay an uncle to rest. It'll all be memories soon.

• Hook 'Em 2