Latino/Hispanic Ultimate Catch All Thread of Culture, Language, Food, Travel and Identity (gringos welcome)

Colombian-style chicharrones changed my world a bit. There's a little truck off East 6th (artessano) I ordered from regularly pre-covid. 

its as if Colombians were born to master anything that starts with a “c”… chicharrones, chivas, culos, cocaine…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Years ago, got invited to come stay at a Mexican friend's posh house outside Querétaro. I took the bus from Colima and hit Querétaro way late in the middle of a Noah's Ark frog-choker storm, I mean, the taxi drivers were afraid to leave the station and there was no way I was gonna ask anybody at my friend's drunk house party to come get me.

Saw some muy mandona gramamas talking to a taxi guy, I figured these ladies are going to make something happen, so I attached myself to them. They talked the guy into taking them to a hotel, but me I was gonna make that party. Taxi dude was freaking out, bridges were underwater, etc.

Knowing nothing about Querétaro, I used my super 19Delta Cav Scout skills to talk the dude into trying some road that I guessed must noodle around the lowlands on a ridge, until we got to a dry part of the valley and popped out near my friend's house. We were both happily surprised. Paid him a wad of money and went in to the party.

It was going strong, but it was maybe 3 am and they'd just run out of booze. My pal's dad's first memory of me is I walked up to him and pulled a fresh bottle of tequila out of my pack. Also, he made sure I had paid the taxista extra for risking his car. Sir yessir. Before I crashed out that morning, I remember seeing an Aunt laying out chilaquile tortillas to dry on the tile countertop.

Next morning, chilaquiles and beer for breakfast at a long table with all the friends and cousins and people I am still not sure who they were. Damn I am hungry now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Verdad.  My kids love the story of Maximillian, and we absolutely visited his sarcophagus in Vienna.  He asked for mariachis to play as he was executed.  What an odd duck.

70012db0212269930056a22a9204aeb8.jpg
7872eb6369ef534fc52162e49988f653.jpg

Word is that they offered to spare Maximilian, but he wouldn't take the pardon unless they also spared a couple of his officers they caught with him. Nope? OK, shoot us all then.

Right before COVID-19 I went into a migas/migitas phase. I couldn't find decent migas (read: NOT chilaquiles) anywhere. It's like nobody makes them anymore or they aren't posh, I don't know. I get their origins were very humble, but I've always enjoyed migas and seem to remember having some good ones in Austin when I lived there: Dario's, Cisco's and even Juan in a million.

I can't find them anywhere in the suburbs of Dallas or Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, Mo Horn said:

I am not Hispanic, but been married to one for almost 38 years. Also, grew up in Mexico City and RGV. Have also been fortunate to travel extensively in Central and South America, and not in just the big cities.  I've been to some pretty rural places. So I consider myself to be a white Latino. Every country is unique in culture,food, and language. Even though the majority speak Spanish, they don't always use the same words, or phrases, for the same things. These are the things I love to experience. I wish more people would travel there. 

Yep, been married to a Hispanic woman for almost 20 years now, and consider my white ass a 'Naturalized Mexican'. 

I think we've earned that, lol.

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Speaking of Kingsville and Tex Mex... There used to be two places over there I used to like ..    El Jardin which burned down back sometime in the 90's .   And Casa De Tacos for a quick bite.    They used to serve their food in tin foil trays like we had back in the day for TV Dinners.   I think  Casa De Tacos is still open?

Your Abuela born in Shiner might have some German or Czech in her bloodline.  

el tapatio and Lydia’s were both damn excellent. 

if you clone casa de taco and drop it in Austin, that place would be slammed. Lot of bang for the buck 

Edited by tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

el tapatio and Lydia’s were both damn excellent. 

if you clone casa de taco and drop it in Austin, that place would be slammed. Lot of bang for the buck 

Lydia's was excellent.  Their Fajitas were good!

Casa de Taco would do well in a number of places.    The UFO would be legendary.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

south Texas Tex mex spots usually served a killer cfs 

and....if you're SUPER S. Texas, like my old man, you mix ketchup with the cream gravy.  It's the damndest thing, but I seen't it.

But.....now we're getting off on a S. Texas tangent, which of course has a heavy hispanic overlap, but not entirely.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

and....if you're SUPER S. Texas, like my old man, you mix ketchup with the cream gravy.  It's the damndest thing, but I seen't it.

But.....now we're getting off on a S. Texas tangent, which of course has a heavy hispanic overlap, but not entirely.

Always thought that was fucked. Many family members do it but I add salsa

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dairy burger pro move - mix your gravy and salsa. Damn good 

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I noticed in Mexico they'd go a little crazy for Sanborns and VIPs. Both places made me feel like I'd teleported back to a 1960s HoJo on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

I lived in Mexico City for part of elementary school and we used to go to VIPs all the time. Sanborns some, but not as much. 

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I lived in Mexico City for part of elementary school and we used to go to VIPs all the time. Sanborns some, but not as much. 

Don't get me wrong, it can be a party at the Sanborns bar. And one time I left my debit card in the Sanborns ATM, went la-dee-dah wandering the town, stepped back inside an hour later, security dudes had my card for me.

14 hours ago, hornimal said:

hold up, playah.  that 3/4 of latin america include the places that serve bandeja paisa or cachapas for breakfast?

4cgydlbidpu21.jpg

cachapa-con-queso-y-combinada-con-pernil

I go back and forth between Colombian and Peruvian as being my favorite Latin American cuisine outside of Mexican.  Rice/beans vs potato as my starch is often the difference in my choosing in the moment.  Colombian is more meat intensive imo.  Though if I crave a Japanese style steak i have gone Peruvian and just got a parillada.  To me their style of cooking satisfies that craving. 

I also have some very good friends from Bolivia.  Dinner at their house is always a feast for kings.  As others have said spicy, in my experience, is primarily Mexican but Bolivians love them some spice.  Most others countries rarely include as much if any heat in their food.  That not just from my experience but from my non-Mex Latin American friends.    

Sorry, if i offend but i'm not a huge fan of El Salvadoran or Costa Rican food.  Pupusa's, for example, are often bland and just not good to my taste.    

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm a kechup on eggs guy.  I know that on my biscuits with gravy I have often put some egg on top.  So i suppose i probably have mixed them myself, but its hard to imagine doing it for the purpose of mixing the gravy and ketchup.   Interdasting.  

13 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, been married to a Hispanic woman for almost 20 years now, and consider my white ass a 'Naturalized Mexican'. 

I think we've earned that, lol.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, Mo Horn said:

I am not Hispanic, but been married to one for almost 38 years. Also, grew up in Mexico City and RGV. Have also been fortunate to travel extensively in Central and South America, and not in just the big cities.  I've been to some pretty rural places. So I consider myself to be a white Latino. Every country is unique in culture,food, and language. Even though the majority speak Spanish, they don't always use the same words, or phrases, for the same things. These are the things I love to experience. I wish more people would travel there. 

I suppose since you identify as hispanic we should call you transhispanic;)  

I suppose since you identify as hispanic we should call you transhispanic;)  

This actually brings up a few interesting questions.

I was hoping Hefeweizen would show up in this thread. If I am remembering correctly his mom is German and dad American (not sure ethnicity) but he was born and raised in Rio. Curious if he considers himself Latino. I mean, if he does, I wouldn’t even bat an eye. But like I said, I think it’s a personal choice.

Another thing is with non Latin groups, such as Japanese in Brazil and Peru, Germans in various countries and Chinese in Cuba. What do they consider themselves? I have had several Japanese Brazilian friends. One has actually been living in Japan now for about 7 years. I know from talking to her and reading other accounts that while they didn’t really feel uncomfortable in Brazil, they did feel different. But when they got to Japan to work and live, they realized they are in fact VERY Brazilian.

Anyways, interesting ideas.

I go back and forth between Colombian and Peruvian as being my favorite Latin American cuisine outside of Mexican.  Rice/beans vs potato as my starch is often the difference in my choosing in the moment.  Colombian is more meat intensive imo.  Though if I crave a Japanese style steak i have gone Peruvian and just got a parillada.  To me their style of cooking satisfies that craving. 
I also have some very good friends from Bolivia.  Dinner at their house is always a feast for kings.  As others have said spicy, in my experience, is primarily Mexican but Bolivians love them some spice.  Most others countries rarely include as much if any heat in their food.  That not just from my experience but from my non-Mex Latin American friends.    
Sorry, if i offend but i'm not a huge fan of El Salvadoran or Costa Rican food.  Pupusa's, for example, are often bland and just not good to my taste.    

Outside of Argentina/Uruguay parrilladas, I found Peru to have the most interesting food. I spent a couple weeks in Colombia last year and found the food generally good and filling, but not especially interesting.

They have some good base campesino soups and plates that most latin countries have some version of, but not exactly exciting. I usually had to salt the hell out of my food and add hot sauce to spice it up enough.

16 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I noticed in Mexico they'd go a little crazy for Sanborns and VIPs. Both places made me feel like I'd teleported back to a 1960s HoJo on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Damn I haven't heard those names in a minute. The VIPs by the centro in MTY was dope, also had some fine ass waitresses.

@Orale Peruvian food is the one SA type of food I have never liked. Everything I had was always with some weird hollandaise type sauce. Ruined everything for me

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damn I haven't heard those names in a minute. The VIPs by the centro in MTY was dope, also had some fine ass waitresses.
[mention=5292]Orale[/mention] Peruvian food is the one SA type of food I have never liked. Everything I had was always with some weird hollandaise type sauce. Ruined everything for me

Ceviche says hola.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

@Orale Peruvian food is the one SA type of food I have never liked. Everything I had was always with some weird hollandaise type sauce. Ruined everything for me

I'd stab an innocent bystander to get some more good Ají de Gallina. They make it at a Peruvian place up the hill, and it's alright, but the first time I had it it was made by a Peruvian in her home kitchen, and BAM.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

No love for a good lomo soltado?

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Also hamburgers. The cheeseburger at Harlingen’s Palmetto Inn kicked ass.

That's not just a South Texas thing.  Plenty of Tex-Mex places in Austin and elsewhere in the state, make great burgers, and also great gringo breakfasts. 

• Like 2