I am a failed human, I have the yips

on any putt inside of 10'. I cannot get the putter triggered. I cannot develop a pre-putt routine that allows me to seamlessly take the putter away. When I finally get the putter to move, it is ,of course, jerky and halting. This has been brewing for almost a year but I hit rock bottom Sunday. I missed 3 putts inside of 4' that cost me about $45 in winnings. This is particularly maddening because I went 30 years being an excellent short putter. I have changed putters, stance, grip, you-name-it within the last couple of months. Nothing has made a difference yet. I am only afflicted while putting for real. I can practice putt without any hint of trouble and any putts over 10' don't lock me up. The two putter swings as part of my pre-shot routine are smooth as silk.  I used a standard Zebra mallet with a 1.3" oversize Stroke-saver grip for almost 30 years until I thought I needed a change up. I have been using a TaylorMade White Smoke MC 72 for the last few weeks without any better results. Maybe they are too similar to jar me loose. My buddy has 2 Scotty Camerons that I used with horrible results. The lighter heads made me swing harder and that made the spasm even more pronounced.

Talk mean to me, ridicule me, whatever but I need help. What do you think, Doctor?

Have you ever just thought of getting over the ball muttering to yourself "I'm not on the fucking PGA tour, this isn't the Masters, nobody really cares what I do here and it won't be remembered by history in any way shape or form" and just gripping it and ripping it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Try putting with your opposite hand.  I'm right handed and put right handed for anything over about 10 feet.  Inside of that 10 feet I putt left handed.

Yeah sometimes when I'm struggling with my ball flight off the tee I like to hit a few drives left handed. 

?

(I'm assuming you mean switch your lead hand - not actually put left handed)

Edited by ztejas

31 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Try putting with your opposite hand.  I'm right handed and put right handed for anything over about 10 feet.  Inside of that 10 feet I putt left handed.

This.  get a lefthanded putter and practice.  Then put left-handed in situations where you would yip before.  sooner or later your brain will stop choking at those distances. 

200.gif

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

This.  get a lefthanded putter and practice.  Then put left-handed in situations where you would yip before.  sooner or later your brain will stop choking at those distances. 

200.gif

I can't believe someone is actually agreeing with this concept. I have never heard of this. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yep. Get a read on it, but putting is mainly about speed and touch (and it sounds like you have touch of a blacksmith).  You need to relax and stop grinding so much. 

I find putting and chipping and sand play pretty easy. 

I've always been a good sand player and putter. It's the other parts of my game that keep me around bogey golf.

But never have I considered buying a left handed putter. Or even heard of that. 

Now a serious reply. Get a metronome app for your phone. 75 BPM is a good starting point, but adjust to what feels good. I like 72. Take away on one tick and make contact on the next, regardless of length of putt. Practice for an hour, then take away the metronome and practice another hour, but try to "hear" the ticks in your mind. Focusing on the ticks will take away the yips. Good luck and report back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

on any putt inside of 10'. I cannot get the putter triggered. I cannot develop a pre-putt routine that allows me to seamlessly take the putter away. When I finally get the putter to move, it is ,of course, jerky and halting. This has been brewing for almost a year but I hit rock bottom Sunday. I missed 3 putts inside of 4' that cost me about $45 in winnings. This is particularly maddening because I went 30 years being an excellent short putter. I have changed putters, stance, grip, you-name-it within the last couple of months. Nothing has made a difference yet. I am only afflicted while putting for real. I can practice putt without any hint of trouble and any putts over 10' don't lock me up. The two putter swings as part of my pre-shot routine are smooth as silk.  I used a standard Zebra mallet with a 1.3" oversize Stroke-saver grip for almost 30 years until I thought I needed a change up. I have been using a TaylorMade White Smoke MC 72 for the last few weeks without any better results. Maybe they are too similar to jar me loose. My buddy has 2 Scotty Camerons that I used with horrible results. The lighter heads made me swing harder and that made the spasm even more pronounced.

Talk mean to me, ridicule me, whatever but I need help. What do you think, Doctor?

Got the yips playing fast pitch softball. I'd been playing the outfield so long I was having trouble coming to the infield, and only making the throw across the diamond.  A real mental thing. You stop acting natural, and letting the force flow thru you, and start aiming, and thinking about throwing wild.

I eventually came out of it, not even sure how, but it really sucked while it was happening. I certainly hope that helps......

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I can see why someone has the yips while chipping. Not while putting. You should probably just quit the game. 

That's a little harsh but kind on on brand on this site.

I guess I just can't relate. I've never been great at sports but pretty good at some during periods of my life and never experienced any yips. I had bad days or consistently did certain things well or others poorly but I always was able to rebound enough. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So, first, I doubt it's the putter, second, it sounds like you are caring way too much about results. Just give it a read and walk up and hit the ball. 

You are correct. I know this. I say all that in my head and then, stiffer than a wedding dick.

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've always been a good sand player and putter. It's the other parts of my game that keep me around bogey golf.

But never have I considered buying a left handed putter. Or even heard of that. 

You’re questioning advice for a game you aren’t any good at? If you’re a “good” putter and bunker player you aren’t shooting bogey golf. Sounds like you make an occasional putt and can get it out of the bunker sometimes.

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

If you’re a “good” putter and bunker player you aren’t shooting bogey golf.

Lol what? I'm more than capable of costing myself a stroke on each hole between my approach game and chipping. 

Not sure what that has to do with the point at hand. Putting isn't my issue. A 3 putt for me is a fuck up and I'm not exactly hitting GIRs all the time. Why would I do something wacky like buy a left handed putter. 

18 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

You’re a documented dipshit

That might be true but you're the one under the impression that bogey golf means that every part of your game sucks and switch-hitting certain clubs in the bag makes any sense whatsoever. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I play right handed but I'm amphibious.

Well that's kind of pertinent 😂

I'm actually cross-eye dominant myself, so I shoot baskets and hit right handed but shoot guns and bows left handed.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That might be true but you're the one under the impression that bogey golf means that every part of your game sucks and switch-hitting certain clubs in the bag makes any sense whatsoever. 

Yes there are no “good” bunker players that can’t break 90. I’d bet my life on it. And you’ve missed the point of putting left handed, it shows you don’t have one fucking clue about a dominant hand causing the issue 

35 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I play right handed but I'm amphibious. They forced me to the right side when I started school. Anyway, the LH putter approach isn't that farfetched. I have access to LH tools and will try it. It worked for Notah Begay.

Wait...... you have gills ?!

I have two friends that are right handed but putt left handed. One just thinks he is a better putter left handed and the other does it because of the yips. The second guy does not have the yips when he putts left handed. It is a thing and you should try it. I wouldn’t carry two putters though unless you really don’t mind giving up one of your other clubs. Also, private clubs often waive the 14 club rule for some of their events so you may not have to give up a club sometimes if you really want to putt right handed on longer putts.

• Like 1