Arsenal 2021-22: The Youth Movement

shadow_operative

Yeah, WBA ran out their reserves (manager admitted they’re focusing on promotion and don’t want Cup entanglements), but sometimes a “slumpbuster” is called for. Get a bit of positivity back in the dressing room. I was a bit surprised we rolled out a first choice XI with City on Saturday morning (Pep won’t roll out a B-side like he did in their opener). 

Bellerin loaned out. (I don’t get it, but he’s had his injury issues lately.)

Tomiyasu signed. Spending £ right and left, but not where it matters the most.

Hey, at least they can’t lose this weekend…

£150M spent and no one who can contribute at a world class level TODAY was signed.

That takes some talent.

Leno/Ramsdale

Tomiyasu • White • Gabriel • Tierney

Sambi • Partey

Odegaard

Pepe • Auba • Saka

i want to see us play with this team going forward. maybe Tomiyasu isn't ready to start, but he'll, who is at RB? I love AMN, so maybe he could fill in for now. still, i look at that team and i see a bright future if they can stay healthy and be properly coached. i really hope that this is generally our starting XI looks like going forward. fuck I wish we'd sold Xhaka to Roma though. 

2010-11 was my first season as a Gooner, and i just now sat down and came up with what's sort of a "two deep" of Arsenal's best players since i've been here. well, more specifically, i tried to make what i feel to be our best possible team, using all players at their peak for Arsenal- meaning if i absolutely need to win one game with a team made up of Arsenal players from my time as a supporter, who all am i throwing out onto the pitch? and then, excluding those players, who would be my next 11? here's what i came up with:

AF3C221D-1239-4A7B-857F-943F5446A6DD.thumb.jpeg.3af9ac04594b13e3f23e827b8c637da9.jpeg

and

6841EC84-2A63-4E80-B7EE-FFE741A19CDA.thumb.jpeg.39ea82461b6ee931cfe45d273e703367.jpeg

my biggest takeaways: our record/trophy cabinet during this time period is FUCKING OUTSTANDING considering the lack of top flight talent compared to the likes of the other big clubs in the EPL. Arsene Wenger is a god, and i don't think another manager in the history of football could have gone to 9 consecutive UEFA CL knockout stages and/or won three FA Cups with the players we've had. 

i gotta tell you, people have always loved to make fun of Arsenal. that's always been my experience as a supporter- everyone makes fun of Arsenal, even fans of broke ass clubs that never win shit. most of the clubs in England would *kill* to experience what we did over the last decade, and yet they laugh at us. okie silly dilly dokie o! laugh all you want, those trophies and memories aren't going anywhere, and we did that shit with inferior talent and a shoestring budget.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i mean holy shit, look at our CB depth. in picking my four-deep CBs from the last decade+ i legit had to choose between Sokratis and Gabriel. what AW did with our budget was an absolute masterclass on building a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. our stats when all 4 of Santi/Coq/Kos/Per started are obscene. that's nobody's dream spine (not any teams that are trying to win the Prem/CL), and yet we were downright dominant with that group. just awesome. 

Not a bad list. Only change I’d make is Ramsey for Coquelin in your 1st XI. He was one of the few during this period who had the ”Fuck this, we ain’t losing” mentality. We’ve never really replaced Santi; he was a special No10 when healthy. Such a shame about his injury situation. Gilberto is another player the club never replaced; IMHO not doing so has really hurt us.

And you’re damn right about other fanbases shitting on us. ManU, City, Chelsea, and ‘Pool? Yeah, ok, y’all have the silverware to talk. Everyone else? Fuck the fuck off. Especially EPL aggy. We’ve won four FA Cups since 2014 and four more Community Shields (not a major trophy I know, but how many other clubs have won four pieces of silverware this millennium? Not many).

Edited by Dutch