Arsenal 2021-22: The Youth Movement

shadow_operative

Concur. Auba had 23 touches tonight; only De Gea had fewer. Laca’s probably leaving in January and definitely next summer. We definitely need to add an elite #9 in the next two windows.

Auba carried us for many years, but he’s losing his touch. 

Edited by Dutch

^^^ Yup. The total lack of ideas and production in the opponent’s half is killing us. Edu did good business in the summer window; he needs two and probably three similar ones before we can sniff top 4.

Edited by Dutch

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We look like shit. The passing is comically bad. WTF.

You’re playing the Saints. Don’t worry about it. Soton are all huff and puff and will have a mental error or two before it is over. 

Edited by yoladu

Reality has struck the past four matches; I believed the dawn had arrived after the unbeaten run.  We're still two or three really good transfer windows away from really competing for a CL place. I think we're around 8th or so as presently constructed.  Good enough to fuck around and beat most of the teams 9th and below, but not good enough to compete with the Top 6.  Partey's downturn and loss of finishing form form Auba mean we desperately need a holding midfielder and No9., and a healthy Santi-esque No10 to unpick defenses.

9 minutes ago, dbecks said:

The lead up to the first goal was nice. It was good to see an old-fashioned Arsenal possession again.

it helped that Bednarek backed off the Arsenal winger in order to defend a space that no Arsenal player was in. brilliant.

and zero marking in the box, shambolic defending.

i honestly don't see us getting 4th, and i'm definitely ok with that. we just now have a positive GD for the first time all season. we have been winning games without being a threat to score goals with any regularity. barring an incoming ST in January who just steps into the team and starts bagging goals, i'm in the camp that would be happy with finishing in a Europa League spot, and who would be thrilled to actually finish top 4.

22 hours ago, Pathetic Shark said:

While it was a good win against west Ham I think that the irons are really running out of gas. As Antonio goes so goes the team; couple this with injuries and fixtures piling up I think they will drop away.  Battle for fourth is with man Utd 

United are certainly a contender for fourth, but unfortunately, so are Spurs.  Don't let their current place and point totals fool you.  They have three games in hand against mostly scrubs.  Both teams made good manager changes to keep them in it. 

The silver lining as far as Spurs are concerned is that all of these postponements are going to compress their schedule, which makes it more likely that they will drop some matches they shouldn't.

I'm not optimistic of Arsenal's CL chances, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.  

Edited by idigTexas

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal trifecta seems to have taken the soul from scrappy Leeds.

And their next match? Liverpool @ Anfield. Whoever made their fixture list must hate Leeds. 

3 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Fuck. Good call

Nothing can ever be easy for us. This is a match again, when we should have been killed off long ago.