Fat People

Hanrahan

Make cell phones and iPads really heavy.  That'll get people to exercise and solve the problem completely.

And I know, because I lost 50 lbs. about 4 years ago.  I'm qualified to say anything I want on this thread, bullshit or not.  Because I Surly.

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the fuck did i just read?

If you scroll down you can catch up on fun stories like...

My Back Is My Enemy - Back pain is worse than the asshole in middle school

When Motel 6 Called the Cops on a Dying Girl

Confessions of a Reluctant Alpaca Farmer

Why I Buried My Siblings Alive

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Obesity is a problem in our society because obesity is a sign of 1. depression and 2. Anxiety which also happen to be our National pastime.  

Obesity is a problem in our society due to a multitude of reasons and attempting to pin it all on behavioral health ailments is lazy.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, MoJames said:

Obesity is a problem in our society due to a multitude of reasons and attempting to pin it all on behavioral health ailments is lazy.

Lazy on who’s part? The researchers? 

are you under the impression that’s an opinion?

34 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've long been an advocate for putting small doses of birth control in junk food. Eat a little, no problem. That's all you eat? Well let's just say the obesity problem will mostly work itself out over time.

32 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

why not kosher food too while we’re at it…

he agrees, with the second suggestion, not the first.

vo2btt2lfm871.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Obesity is a problem in our society because obesity is a sign of 1. depression and 2. Anxiety which also happen to be our National pastime.  

The great Scottish Philosopher Fat Bastard said it best:

"I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

All joking aside, this is a national health issue. Solving this involves every facet of society: cultural, geography, education, socioeconomics, race, self accountability, financial stability, etc.

I'm sure most overweight people are fully aware of their condition. For some, maybe many, there are valid reasons for their plight. 

there's way too much money made off fast food/junk food/sodas, etc. this problem will absolutely not be fixed because there is too much money that will be lost if it's ever solved.

edited to add, don't forget about how much money is made in the healthcare industry trying to keep our fatasses alive. there's absolutely no incentive for anyone to solve this problem. 

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You were in one of the fattest cities in one of the fattest states, at a game for a team with the fattest dumbest fanbases in sports. 

All that said, yes America has a big time fat problem. 

Despite getting a sensible chuckle out of this post and the no-doubt Houston fatasses that negged you on it, Houston is actually the second fittest area in Texas.

Obesity%20picture.png

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/uploadedFiles/Content/Prevention_and_Preparedness/obesity/Obesity_In_Texas_InfographicV5-accessible (1).pdf 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

On TOS there was a fasting thread, and i talked a bit about some of my hard core fasting.   I lost 150lbs in about 8 months and after almost 3 years I'm still 125 down.   So went from 345 to 195, and i hover around 225 now (I'm 6'1 and 53 years old).    

So not close to skinny, but can tie my shoes and run a 10k without dying.

All that to say I have some experience being fat ( i had a decade of big time obesity and a life time of needing to lose a few).   I understand them.

Those fatties know they are fat, they have just given up and don't think they can fix it.   Every minute of the day they think about their weight, they don't go on family vacations, or if they do, it is reluctantly.   That guy debated about going to the astros game because those seats are small and he knew they will be in the next person's way sitting there - but someone convinced them and they couldn't tell them why they didn't want to go.   They wake up every Monday morning saying today is the day it will change and they fail by lunch.   Over and over, decade after decade they fail.    All that failure is just a beating and have given up.    They have accepted their fate - they are committing suicide, and they know it, and they hate themselves way more than you hate them.  

Thanks for posting this. Congrats on your success.

It's surly, we are assholes. However I am fully aware there are many on here who dealing with what you just described. Positive thoughts to you and those who are trying to better themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

250 is the new 200.

American capitalism has figured out how to make calories as cheap as possible. I imagine subsidized sugar and grain are a big reason.

It's a demand thing.  People want trash food and that's what the market brings, especially people on the low end of the money spectrum.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

are you under the impression that’s an opinion?

I'm under the impression that you have a very difficult time disseminating information if your take from articles like this was that Depression is the cause of Obesity.

This meta-analysis confirms a reciprocal link between depression and obesity. Obesity was found to increase the risk of depression, most pronounced among Americans and for clinically diagnosed depression. In addition, depression was found to be predictive of developing obesity.

Both depression and obesity are widely spread problems with major public health implications.1,2 Because of the high prevalence of both depression and obesity, and the fact that they both carry an increased risk for cardiovascular disease,3,4 a potential association between depression and obesity has been presumed and repeatedly been examined. Such an association has been confirmed at the cross-sectional level.5-7 A recent systematic review8 examined primarily cross-sectional studies showing a weak association between obesity and depression, though significance tests were not performed. In addition, a recent meta-analysis9 of 17 community-based cross-sectional studies among adults showed a positive overall association between depression and obesity (defined as a body mass index [BMI] [calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared] ≥30 or a waist-hip ratio ≥102 cm for men and ≥88 for women). de Wit et al9 found an overall odds ratio (OR) of 1.18, confirming that depression is associated with an 18% increased risk of being obese. Only sex acted as a moderating factor; in subgroup analyses the association was found in women but not in men, whereas age and continent of residence did not affect the association.

Although cross-sectional evidence is informative, it does not provide detailed insight into the exact mechanisms linking depression and obesity. It could be that depressed persons, through dysregulated stress systems10,11 or through unhealthy lifestyles, develop more obesity over time, whereas it is also possible that obesity, eg, through its negative effects on self-image or somatic consequences, results in the development of depression over time. Longitudinal studies are essential in providing more information on the direction of the association. With this information, prevention and intervention strategies could be improved. Although Atlantis and Baker8 did discuss some longitudinal studies12-15 in their overview article, 3 of 4 studies were based on the same cohort and only described the effect of obesity on the development of depression. Several studies (among slightly younger samples) available at the time were not included,16-21 and since then a considerable number of longitudinal studies have been published,22-28 indicating that the volume of evidence on this topic has rapidly increased. Consequently, a meta-analysis that would examine the longitudinal, bidirectional evidence of the association between depression and obesity would be justified as well as needed. To explore a potential dose-response association, it is important to differentiate between overweight and obesity, since the latter is the more severe condition and most strongly associated with biological dysregulation and unfavorable health outcomes.29,30

The current meta-analysis summarizes available prospective cohort studies and examines whether depression is predictive of the development of overweight and obesity and, in turn, whether overweight and obesity are predictive of the development of depression. In addition, possible moderators will be identified by examining the consistency of the longitudinal associations in subgroups stratified by sex, age, follow-up duration, depression assessment, quality assessment, and continent of origin.

Here.

Oh, wait, I thought this was a roll call thread.

I need to lose some weight.  I've never been skinny, but I've gone in and out of being in decent shape, and being overweight.  I'm at an overweight spot these days.  And I know I am.  I need to eat better -- better food, at better times.  But I end up backsliding way too often.  And I need to get out and exercise more.  But I always have an excuse, usually work-related -- working long hours, and barely having any time to yourself, makes it really easy to make that happen.  And I have a bum knee, so running hasn't been an option for a long time.  Still, I can take walks (and when I do that regularly, it helps), and I can ride on a spin cycle (that also helps).  But I don't.  At least, not often enough.

I get it.  But by the same token, I don't get it.  I don't get how you let yourself fall THAT far.  I don't sit down and eat a bucket of fried chicken.  I don't eat 4 slices of cake.  I could make BETTER eating choices, but I don't make repeated, utterly destructive choices.  You know, mix in a salad every now and then, that sort of thing, and you can at least not be MORBIDLY obese.

But shit.....pretty much everybody makes lots of bad choices.  Some physical, some mental.  Let he who is without sin, etc.  And I am sure guilty of being angry at people who make shitty choices, but I've also realized that doesn't change a damned thing except make me pissed off.  So, maybe helping people out when they have a chance to make better choices is the way to go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Some day you boys will learn.  Only after you are the ones shamed for your hate speech on this soon to be protected group.  How do you not know whether they identify as skinny.  Biology makes no shit.   

You’ll already catch hell for “body shaming”.

everyone is different but it's a very simple formula. calories burned > calories in. understood that in practice it's much more complicated than that but the science behind losing or maintaining weight is simple.

i work from home full time so it's easy for me. i take a shake for lunch (first "meal" of the day) and then eat a normal meal for dinner (2nd meal). i'm lucky in that i've never craved junk food so i don't eat shit in between those two "meals". i started the shake for lunch just out of habit. would wake up, log on, start working and forgot to eat breakfast. my body has now completely adjusted to this routine. i'm not consciously doing this 2 meals a day thing. just came about.

again my situation is different but thought i'd share. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was on a recent flight from SAT to SEA on Alaska Air.   Older woman by the window leans her seat back and the lady behind her (who is very large) taps the husbands shoulder and asks her to bring her seat back up because "it's really tight in here"  He dead ass responded with.  "maybe if you lost some weight you'd have more space".  That set off a lovely war of words from her travel partners one of which was equally fat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

flying back to texas from colorado, the first thing that always struck me was 'man, these people are fat as fuck.' it's pretty jarring.

In CO I'm a fattie.  In Texas I'm on the skinnier side.  

But I'd rather be around skinny people.  Gives me more incentive to drop the weight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

I am well aware of the ongoing obesity problem but is this thing really starting to get out of hand?  I went to an Astros game last night - first stadium event post-pandemic - and a solid 1/3 of the people in my section were morbidly obese.  Like fat rolls all around and spilling over fat.  Another 40% were fat and/or overweight.  I'd say about 30% were what one would generally consider to be a normal body type.  Maybe it was just a bad random sample but I am still shaking my head at the 350-punder who ate a batting helmet full of nachos, used his finger to scrape and eat the leftover cheese and then busted out an insulin pen.

Note: I need to drop about 20 and am not some skinny guy gratuitously fat hating.

I’m guessing it was either $1 hot dog night or you purchased tickets in the all-you-can-eat section.

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve read that our least obese state now (CO) is more obese than our most obese state was in 1980. 

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

I saw this documentary recently called Fat Fiction.  It's primarily about the myth of dietary fat that originated in the 1950s and 1960s and started our country on the road to higher carb diets, which then turned into higher sugar and higher processed food diets.  There's a lot of interesting physiological and nutritional information, but it touches on how the American food industry has unapologetically turned us into a nation of fatties.  It's on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it.  Plus, it makes you feel better about eating a lot of bacon.

• Hook 'Em 5

58 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

4A7B054E00000578-5536457-image-m-2_15218

more than fat bottomed boys

16 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You’ll already catch hell for “body shaming”.

Female obesity is on the rise are the "beauty standards are so 1950's" stories. No one cared when men got called fat, but it's a hate crime now to call a woman fat.  

Somehow this is Vic's fault.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

I was on a recent flight from SAT to SEA on Alaska Air.   Older woman by the window leans her seat back and the lady behind her (who is very large) taps the husbands shoulder and asks her to bring her seat back up because "it's really tight in here"  He dead ass responded with.  "maybe if you lost some weight you'd have more space".  That set off a lovely war of words from her travel partners one of which was equally fat

This is a wonderful story.  I wish I could’ve witnessed it.

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

4A7B054E00000578-5536457-image-m-2_15218

more than fat bottomed boys

Also, watching that rise in the obesity rate in a relatively short time....tied to a point someone made above about a correlation with depression/anxiety/despair, and coupled with a rise in violent crime rates after a long period of decline......I wonder how much of this is all tied to us being a kind of messed up country with some messed up minds.

Whatever the underlying reasons, as a people, we are descending into despair and depression, which leads to all manner of bad outcomes: obesity, violence, suicide, etc.  Maybe there's a much bigger conversation to be had here about a broad social sickness, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Whatever the underlying reasons, as a people, we are descending into despair and depression, which leads to all manner of bad outcomes: obesity, violence, suicide, etc.  Maybe there's a much bigger conversation to be had here about a broad social sickness, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

tina turner auntie entity GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Right about the time the Government Food Pyramid started popping up.  

You could argue that fucking pyramid contributed to millions upon millions of deaths from obesity and being a general fat fuck.  

Quit shoving cupcakes, cokes, and mocha-frappa-bullshit milk shakes in your mouths you fucking jelly-bellies. 

Sugar is what is killing more Americans than almost anything else.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1