Fat People

Hanrahan

20 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Two things surprise me from that list:

1. New Zealand being so high.

2. Italy being so low.

I've been to Italy twice for long trips that covered a lot of ground.  Yeah, there are fat people in that country, but considerably fewer than in the U.S.  Like a lot of European countries, I think the Italian population by and large has not adopted the Western diet of shitty, processed, high-fructose-corn-syrup-infused foods.  That shit is what has made our country fat.  Not pasta.  (And the notion that Italians eat a lot of pasta is a bit overblown, I think.)

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

2. Italy being so low.

Pacific Islanders are fat as fuck and make up like 25% of NZ's population. Here's a more current list with the top countries all being small islands in the Pacific. Screenshot_20230125_140918_Chrome.thumb.jpg.37f3d241c700c509109f44aec6c48302.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pacific Islanders are fat as fuck and make up like 25% of NZ's population. Here's a more current list with the top countries all being small islands in the Pacific. Screenshot_20230125_140918_Chrome.thumb.jpg.37f3d241c700c509109f44aec6c48302.jpg

great graphic which explains a lot quickly.  It's culture in the Pacific, not just recent malaise of fast food. Also take a look at the Arab nations too.  Again, fat is a sign of wealth and prosperity, not just recent western fast food.

btw, I've had several people die in their 50s (work, schoolmates). I can honestly say they all were chubby or had a massive bowling bowl embedded in the middle of said dead body.  Anecdotal of course, but you have guys seen the same death range , ie, 50s deaths?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

great graphic which explains a lot quickly.  It's culture in the Pacific, not just recent malaise of fast food. Also take a look at the Arab nations too.  Again, fat is a sign of wealth and prosperity, not just recent western fast food.

btw, I've had several people die in their 50s (work, schoolmates). I can honestly say they all were chubby or had a massive bowling bowl embedded in the middle of said dead body.  Anecdotal of course, but you have guys seen the same death range , ie, 50s deaths?

Yeah. Those MFers in the Middle East like to eat - and a lot of it is very calorie-dense food. Fries, falafel, pita, beef, lamb - thick sauces like hummus and that white sauce which is mostly mayo. 

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

2. Italy being so low.

https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/new-zealand-market-overview

The foundation of New Zealand’s economy is the export of agricultural commodities such as dairy products, meat, forest products, fruit and vegetables, and wine.   Dairy is the lead export commodity – in 2021 New Zealand dairy exports totaled approximately US$12 billion.  

Getting fat on their on supply perhaps?

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've been to Italy twice for long trips that covered a lot of ground.  Yeah, there are fat people in that country, but considerably fewer than in the U.S.  Like a lot of European countries, I think the Italian population by and large has not adopted the Western diet of shitty, processed, high-fructose-corn-syrup-infused foods.  That shit is what has made our country fat.  Not pasta.  (And the notion that Italians eat a lot of pasta is a bit overblown, I think.)

pasta is the first dish. and it's appetizer sized.

spaghetti-cacio-e-pepe-recipe-1x1-1200x1

in america, these are single serving pastas from olive garden:

Create-your-own-pasta-dpv-1180x730.jpg

when you're there, you're family! except nobody eats family style. each of those pasta dishes would feed a family of 5 in italy. 

bread is everywhere in europe, but they do lack the high fructose corn syrup crap. also, they eat real food in europe. had a chicken in europe? it tastes like a chicken, not canned water based meat. cheese in europe? it's actually cheese from europe. it's fucking delicious. 

but you don't really eat that much. it isn't really until they come to america that italians generally get fat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

bread is everywhere in europe, but they do lack the high fructose corn syrup crap. also, they eat real food in europe. had a chicken in europe? it tastes like a chicken, not canned water based meat. cheese in europe? it's actually cheese from europe. it's fucking delicious. 

Also they walk their asses to the market or boulangerie to buy their freshly baked bread.  They don't drive their car to HEB to pick up curbside groceries. 

Go to Europe for a week, eat like a European, come back weighing less than when you left.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also they walk their asses to the market or boulangerie to buy their freshly baked bread.  They don't drive their car F150 to HEB to pick up curbside groceries. 

Go to Europe for a week, eat like a European, come back weighing less than when you left.  

fixy

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, BabaYaga said:

Ever been to Underwood's in Brownwood?  Looks like theirs.  Meh.  But the rolls are covered in crack and unicorn dust....

you shut your whore mouth! 

nah, agree that's not real bbq. at least they don't even call it brisket, but whatever it is it's good but i really like their sauce, though.  i am having flashbacks of my cattle ranching family complaining that Underwoods bought 'foreign' beef.  never reached the point of an aggy-like boycott, though

The potato thing is very interesting.  we always make twice baked potatoes where they are chilled/frozen until we need them. I would have pigged out even more had i known.

Edited by gyroprotagonist
  • Hook 'Em 1

Most of the stuff above about eating “real food” is bullshit. It’s simple physics. Skinny people burn as much in calories as they ingest/absorb. Some people are blessed with a high resting metabolic rate, or don’t absorb all the calories they ingest, but otherwise that’s it. Walking to the store burns calories. If you buy carrots and celery when you get there you are good. If you buy a big gulp and 4 snickers not so much 

I will say there are studies that show HFCS may change your resting metabolic rate, but it also fucks with dopamine production, so that may be more of a factor (inducing you to consume more calories than you would.) than slowing your metabolism 

there are a few new medications that are very effective for weight loss and, shockingly, they curb hunger, leading to decreased caloric intake

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Most of the stuff above about eating “real food” is bullshit. It’s simple physics. Skinny people burn as much in calories as they ingest/absorb. Some people are blessed with a high resting metabolic rate, or don’t absorb all the calories they ingest, but otherwise that’s it. Walking to the store burns calories. If you buy carrots and celery when you get there you are good. If you buy a big gulp and 4 snickers not so much 

I don't think you're really disagreeing with the above stuff - it's that the "fake food" usually isn't as filling or satisfying or nutritious as "real food". Food deserts are a real thing in the US, where you have no access to "real food" and can develop some pretty terrible nutritional habits for lack of any better options to survive

Not to mention our car-centric, anti-pedestrian city design (obligatory plug for Not Just Bikes on youtube) make it legitimately unsafe to do anything BUT take a car to work or the store

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

The potato thing is very interesting.  we always make twice baked potatoes where they are chilled/frozen until we need them. I would have pigged out even more had i known.

Yep - why the glycemic index of potato salad is so low.  When heated, chilled, then reheated the carbs turn into insoluble starches that are great for your gut and don't trigger an insulin spike.  

On 7/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve never heard that about the cooked potatoes. Learned something new today.

But as much as I love potato salad, it won’t do me much good. I like potato salad hot and fresh. Can’t be having that stuff cold like the other savages.

I read an article on the  "potato hack" earlier this week. Pretty amazing the difference it(supposedly?) makes imo.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Also they walk their asses to the market or boulangerie to buy their freshly baked bread.  They don't drive their car to HEB to pick up curbside groceries. 

Truth. I lost weight after my recent trip to Europe. And I ate tons of pastries. 

43 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I will say there are studies that show HFCS may change your resting metabolic rate, but it also fucks with dopamine production, so that may be more of a factor (inducing you to consume more calories than you would.) than slowing your metabolism 

there are a few new medications that are very effective for weight loss and, shockingly, they curb hunger, leading to decreased caloric intake

My sister in law is on one of those. Shocking results to be honest. Like 35lbs in two months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Same because I walked 10-15 a mile for 9 days while eating every pastry in sight 

The Paris Effect. Go to Paris, eat rich, high caloric food. Drink tons of delicious cheap wine. Come home 3-5 lb lighter because you were walking between 4-8 miles a day. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2. Italy being so low.

Don’t know why Italy would surprise, but agree on NZ.

Edit: didn’t know obesity was such a widespread issue amongst islanders. That explains that.

Not shown, but I’ve read Saudi Arabia is giving the US a run for its money.

In China, the rise in prevalence has been notably rapid; about 12% of the adult population has diabetes [2], accounting for almost one quarter of cases worldwide [1] and representing a 10-fold increase over the last 3 to 4 decades.Jul 21, 2022

compare that to 8% of the U.S.   

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Maori people

Never would have guessed why. Interesting. They don’t all look like that dude from the Olympics 

Obesity in the Pacific Islands is also thought to be influenced by social and cultural factors (tambufoods), including past poor public education on diet, exercise and health[16] Micronutrient deficiencies are also common.[17]) Feasting and festivals are major parts of life,[18] imported foods have been given higher social status than local, healthier foods,[16] and historically a large body size was associated with wealth, power and beauty.[6][16] The Nauru term for satisfaction and feeling healthy, pweda, is the same as fullness or distention.[19]

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Map of obesity in the US.

This is why I'm retiring in Colorado, to be with other fit, skinny people.

56006930bd86ef14008bbf59?width=1200

I was gonna blame the Mexicans but Texas and California both have a lot and Texas is far more obese than California.  Maybe it’s CFS?  

8 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I was gonna blame the Mexicans but Texas and California both have a lot and Texas is far more obese than California.  Maybe it’s CFS?  

California has skiing, nice beaches, Hollywood, hiking. Texas has… food. 

• Hook 'Em 1