Fat People

Hanrahan

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Never would have guessed why. Interesting. They don’t all look like that dude from the Olympics 

Obesity in the Pacific Islands is also thought to be influenced by social and cultural factors (tambufoods), including past poor public education on diet, exercise and health[16] Micronutrient deficiencies are also common.[17]) Feasting and festivals are major parts of life,[18] imported foods have been given higher social status than local, healthier foods,[16] and historically a large body size was associated with wealth, power and beauty.[6][16] The Nauru term for satisfaction and feeling healthy, pweda, is the same as fullness or distention.[19]

232da9db-7c99-40b4-93d0-2e708a324052_tex

they need a 'patch' for the dopamine/serotonin (or whatever) hit i get when consuming chocolate.  that pull is way stronger than anything i have had for tobacco or caffeine.  It's nothing to do with hunger or being full.  luckily had metabolism to counter the results but nearing 50 that may be waning.   around xmas time i just said fuck it and started rampaging on sweets and lo and behold there is 5lbs more of me to enjoy in 2023 so far.

• Rage+1 1

Part 1

I've never understood the psychology of obesity, although I realize that some people have triggers.

Just going by my family as a kid, we were all so different. My dad was 6', 200-220lbs all his life and at 220 had a starter gut which he would notice and get rid of. My mom was a typical curvy woman of that era but not considered over weight by the beauty standards of the day. My 2 sisters who are 12 and 16 years older than me had their own issues with weight, although the younger sister only had minor issues with it. My older sister was a totally different story however.  Even from her childhood through her teen years she could be considered "chunky". From her mid 20s on she continued to get larger and larger. She was to be considered morbidly obese all of her adult life with short periods off and on of dieting with only minor, limited success.  When she passed away 8 years ago she was close to 500lbs. Once I had reached my mid to late 20s I started to notice how she viewed food portions. At family gatherings she would get a plate with semi normal potion sizes, any maybe go back for small 2nds on an item or two. Then while cleaning up would "grab a bite" here and there as she was cleaning up. While at a glance it didn't seem like much, watching more closely I realized she was eating another 1 to 2 plates while cleaning up. I finally mentioned it to her once trying to help her get a plan together as she had finally gotten over 500lbs. I don't know whether it was some form of denial, but she really coulnt/didn't/refused to believe how much she wa eating, JUST COULD NOT SEE IT.

End Part 1

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Eating becomes a habit as well. 6pm time for dinner whether I'm hungry or not. If I skip dinner or have a light dinner, I will be starving by 9pm so gotta eat now.

I've never been more than 15-20 lbs overweight, and I'm using medical definitions of overweight not something I made up in my head. However I can't easily drop down to what I consider a normal weight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've never understood the psychology of obesity, although I realize that some people have triggers.

Just going by my family as a kid, we were all so different. My dad was 6', 200-220lbs all his life and at 220 had a starter gut which he would notice and get rid of. My mom was a typical curvy woman of that era but not considered over weight by the beauty standards of the day. My 2 sisters who are 12 and 16 years older than me had their own issues with weight, although the younger sister only had minor issues with it. My older sister was a totally different story however.  Even from her childhood through her teen years she could be considered "chunky". From her mid 20s on she continued to get larger and larger. She was to be considered morbidly obese all of her adult life with short periods off and on of dieting with only minor, limited success.  When she passed away 8 years ago she was close to 500lbs. Once I had reached my mid to late 20s I started to notice how she viewed food portions. At family gatherings she would get a plate with semi normal potion sizes, any maybe go back for small 2nds on an item or two. Then while cleaning up would "grab a bite" here and there as she was cleaning up. While at a glance it didn't seem like much, watching more closely I realized she was eating another 1 to 2 plates while cleaning up. I finally mentioned it to her once trying to help her get a plan together as she had finally gotten over 500lbs. I don't know whether it was some form of denial, but she really coulnt/didn't/refused to believe how much she wa eating, JUST COULD NO SEE IT.

End Part 1

Denial is a powerful trait we all have and it is not just with our own weight.

Case in point.  My parents live on a ranch and my dad(89) is pretty skinny and mom (83) is overweight, but not crazy, and actually pretty good considering she has really bad knees and does not move around a whole lot.  Over the last 30 years or so they have had many dogs come and go, and all of them  gain an enormous amount of weight while under their care.  It doesn't matter the source or age.  They have had new born pups, strays, rescues, purchased pure breeds, you name it.  All of them have gotten morbidly obese.

The worse case was when I could no longer have my Hungarian Visla at my house because he had become overly protective of my two toddlers and he was interfering with their ability to have friends over.  He barked a lot and would scare the other kids, so my folks took him in at the ranch before anything bad happened at my place.  That dog was the model for a fit hound.  He looked like an Olympic sprinter and had to have all kinds of activity for his enjoyment.  So my folks got him and he absolutely loved them and they him.  He could spend as much time as he wanted outdoors chasing cows and other critters.  It only took about a year for him to gain so much weight the he was flat on the top of his spine and went from his sleek form to a walking five gallon bucket with legs. At which point I had to say something to my parents.  i pointed out what happened to him and all of their other dogs and the vet vet bills, and the doggy insulin, and all of it.  It was like talking to a brick wall and they looked at me like I was crazy and then accused me of starving my my own dog before I sent him over to the ranch.

Despite all of the evidence, the years of pictures with fat dogs, vet bills etc., they refused to believe that they were doing anything wrong.  JUST COULD NO SEE IT.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eating becomes a habit as well. 6pm time for dinner whether I'm hungry or not. If I skip dinner or have a light dinner, I will be starving by 9pm so gotta eat now.

I've never been more than 15-20 lbs overweight, and I'm using medical definitions of overweight not something I made up in my head. However I can't easily drop down to what I consider a normal weight. 

habits have a physiological impact beyond just "we like our routines". That, paired with what is going on with our brain chemistry and how we deal with that in any of our emotional states, has a lot to do with why many people have lifelong struggles with overeating. I mean, plenty (most even) of people make bad nutrition choices because they don't know any better and all of the easy options are bad (policy could help here). On top of that, lots and lots of people are chronically unable to prioritize long term benefit over short term happiness. And above that, lots of people have deeply ingrained habits with food that are hard to break. And for many of those people, many of those habits might be better described as coping mechanisms, and at this point we're talking about something that is a lot more like addiction than simply bad choices.

2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

they need a 'patch' for the dopamine/serotonin (or whatever) hit i get when consuming chocolate.  that pull is way stronger than anything i have had for tobacco or caffeine.  

they sell a powder that will do that for you

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think you're really disagreeing with the above stuff - it's that the "fake food" usually isn't as filling or satisfying or nutritious as "real food". Food deserts are a real thing in the US, where you have no access to "real food" and can develop some pretty terrible nutritional habits for lack of any better options to survive
Not to mention our car-centric, anti-pedestrian city design (obligatory plug for
on youtube) make it legitimately unsafe to do anything BUT take a car to work or the store
What are your definitions of a 'food desert' and real food?

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
22 hours ago, Captainant said:
I don't think you're really disagreeing with the above stuff - it's that the "fake food" usually isn't as filling or satisfying or nutritious as "real food". Food deserts are a real thing in the US, where you have no access to "real food" and can develop some pretty terrible nutritional habits for lack of any better options to survive
Not to mention our car-centric, anti-pedestrian city design (obligatory plug for
on youtube) make it legitimately unsafe to do anything BUT take a car to work or the store

What are your definitions of a 'food desert' and real food?

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/45014/30940_err140.pdf

In the 2008 Food, Conservation and Energy Act (2008 Farm Act), Congress directed the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to assess the extent of areas in the United States where people have limited access to a variety of healthy and affordable food. Commonly referred to as “food deserts,” these regions of the country often feature large proportions of households with low incomes, inadequate access to transportation, and a limited number of food retailers providing fresh produce and healthy groceries for affordable prices. In response to this directive, USDA published Access to Affordable and Nutritious Food: Measuring and Understanding Food Deserts and Their Consequences (USDA, 2009). The report measured the extent of limited food access in the United States, highlighted potential sources and consequences of the problem, and suggested general policy solutions. The report found, among other conclusions, that 23.5 million people live in low-income areas that are further than 1 mile from a large grocery store or supermarket, and that 11.5 million of these people have low incomes themselves.

It's a combination of lack of safe transportation to places where you can buy fresh food, and stores that sell fresh food often not being in lower income areas.

It's a combination of lack of safe transportation to places where you can buy fresh food, and stores that sell fresh food often not being in lower income areas.

Is this more of East Coast/Midwest thing?

There is not one low income neighborhood in Houston that doesn't have a Fiesta, Food Town/Circle/Land/City, Seller Bros. or a small independent store(with a real meat counter) that I can think of. All of those are legit grocery stores. Dallas and SA are probably the same.

Point being, in today's urban areas, fat people aren't fat because of some subjective food desert. But because many of them eat dessert like it's the only food. They have access to healthy options. Many of them are not making healthy choices. Maybe because they don't know any better. Heck I don't always make the best choices and I absolutely know better.

Maybe there are some deserts in West Texas.

Growing up the closest grocery store was 7 miles. And if you wanted a chain store(MiniMax, Brookshires), it was another 10 miles.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Point being, in today's urban areas, fat people aren't fat because of some subjective food desert. But because many of them eat dessert like it's the only food.

NSIAP, Shit like this isn't helping either - frosted mini wheats near the top?  So stupid, but many people are ignorant of what they put in their bodies and the impact that it is

JUP-H_6JosdJzTFPy7bbFwd3lEfTvV8LlSyfO-hK

The anti-beef movement is deluded, and that ridiculous chart is a good example of it in action. There are few better sources of dense quality nutrients than beef, but the movement to rid the planet of it based on faulty (or no) science has picked up a lot of steam.  The same morons actually believe that mass produced and highly processed meat alternatives are somehow better for you and the environment (they're not).  Agribusiness has done a number on these poor saps that we haven't seen since the tobacco industry's shenanigans.

Like many agendas that come from a well intentioned place of misapplied ideology, the end result is poor people suffer the most.   I'm sure everyone will get super healthy eating mass produced sludge, as that's the future we're staring down the barrel at.  If you think you have to be well off to eat healthy now, just give it another decade.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

In a peer-reviewed journal from Tufts Dean of Nutrition

The paper it comes from is a million pages and ain’t nobody got time for that. But its title is “Limitations of the Food Compass Nutrient Profiling System”. That makes me wonder if the chart is as stupid as it looks, or if the context explains what the scientists/academics/whoever is saying and this just another instance of something from an academic study being taken out of context by people with agendas who wish to fool credulous people on the internet.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

Had to run to Target for poster board and mid way through… where the fuck did the baby find some kind of sticky foamy substance? Of course the cup holders (plural) on the shopping cart, where someone must have spilled some whipped cream from the Starbucks milk shake that they bought to consume while shopping, presumably for pop tarts and ketchup.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

The paper it comes from is a million pages and ain’t nobody got time for that. But its title is “Limitations of the Food Compass Nutrient Profiling System”. That makes me wonder if the chart is as stupid as it looks, or if the context explains what the scientists/academics/whoever is saying and this just another instance of something from an academic study being taken out of context by people with agendas who wish to fool credulous people on the internet.

Agreed. I tried for awhile to find rebuttals to the critiques on twitter, substack, etc, but couldn't find much. And I'm definitely not reading the paper.

Edited by KYHorn

Right of course - the paper is written by a critic of some system of food healthfulness characterization published by the government and the chart is meant to show that it is not very good. That's probably true, although I imagine whatever it is is an improvement from the food pyramid which is just fucking bananas.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Right of course - the paper is written by a critic of some system of food healthfulness characterization published by the government and the chart is meant to show that it is not very good. That's probably true, although I imagine whatever it is is an improvement from the food pyramid which is just fucking bananas.

That pyramid had a hand in more deaths than many wars.  Millions upon millions over the decades.  

This nonsensical bullshit right here that led to such obesity, diabetes, heart issues, and depression.

• Saturated fat clogs your arteries
  • Whole grains are heart-healthy
  • Low-fat dairy makes your bones strong
  • White meat is better than red
  • Vegetable oils are healthier than butter
  • High-cholesterol foods cause heart disease

It also goes to show how powerful tracking your progress can be.  Modern food apps that SHOW you what you eat, how much you weigh, and how active you are matter.  What's that famous phrase:  you can't manage what you don't measure.

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That pyramid had a hand in more deaths than many wars.  Millions upon millions over the decades.  

This nonsensical bullshit right here that led to such obesity, diabetes, heart issues, and depression.

• Saturated fat clogs your arteries
  • Whole grains are heart-healthy
  • Low-fat dairy makes your bones strong
  • White meat is better than red
  • Vegetable oils are healthier than butter
  • High-cholesterol foods cause heart disease

It also goes to show how powerful tracking your progress can be.  Modern food apps that SHOW you what you eat, how much you weigh, and how active you are matter.  What's that famous phrase:  you can't manage what you don't measure.

All started with a '50s biochemist, Ancel Keys, who decided on poor-to-no research that fats were responsible for heart disease. America was freaking out that Eisenhower had a heart attack. We had to find the one cause or cure for everyone.

70 years later, no one has once proven Keys correct and studies show that he was wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All started with a '50s biochemist, Ancel Keys, who decided on poor-to-no research that fats were responsible for heart disease. America was freaking out that Eisenhower had a heart attack. We had to find the one cause or cure for everyone.

70 years later, no one has once proven Keys correct and studies show that he was wrong.

There was a massive trend in the 90s and 00s to label things as "100% FAT FREE!!" and then load them chock full of sugar (which then turns into fat, of course), as well as a general "you gotta eat EVERYTHING on your plate" attitude. Turns out, you should listen to your body and not eat that whole plate of food, and forcing it down just to clean your plate and be less wasteful is making your ass fat. 

No doubt it's also significantly an education problem to your point brothahorn, but just having easier access to healthy food than to processed/packaged food is a pretty big part of being educated about it IMO. 

This "breaking news" seems germane to this discussion:

People who regularly adhered to at least one of four healthy eating patterns were less likely to die than those who ate less healthily, researchers found

That’s the takeaway from a major study published this month in JAMA Internal Medicine. Scientists led by a team from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that people who most closely adhered to at least one of four healthy eating patterns were less likely to die from cardiovascular disease, cancer or respiratory disease compared with people who did not adhere as closely to these diets. They were also less likely to die of any cause.

“These findings support the recommendations of Dietary Guidelines for Americans that multiple healthy eating patterns can be adapted to individual food traditions and preferences,” the researchers concluded, adding that the results were consistent across different racial and ethnic groups. The eating habits and mortality rates of more than 75,000 women from 1984 to 2020 over 44,000 men from 1986 to 2020 were included in the study.

The four diets studied were the Healthy Eating Index, the Alternate Mediterranean Diet, the Healthful Plant-Based Diet Index and the Alternate Healthy Eating Index. All four share some components, including whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes. But there are also differences: For instance, the Alternate Mediterranean Diet encourages fish consumption, and the Healthful Plant-Based Diet Index discourages eating meat.

The Alternate Mediterranean Diet is adapted from the original Mediterranean Diet, which includes olive oil (which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids), fruits, nuts, cereals, vegetables, legumes and fish. It allows for moderate consumption of alcohol and dairy products but low consumption of sweets and only the occasional serving of red meat. The alternate version, meanwhile, cuts out dairy entirely, only includes whole grains and uses the same alcohol-intake guideline for men and women, JAMA says.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-healthy-diets-were-associated-with-lower-risk-of-death-according-to-a-study-of-119-000-people-across-four-decades-11674325772

Link to study (abstract):

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2800411

~~~

Healthy Eating Index:  https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/developing.html (see also: https://www.fns.usda.gov/healthy-eating-index-hei )

Mediterranean Diet*:  https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/a-practical-guide-to-the-mediterranean-diet-2019032116194

* Not sure what the study means by "Alternative" Med Diet.  Would likely need to read the actual study to see how it differs from the Med Diet

Healthful Plant-Based Diet Index:  https://plantbasedhealthprofessionals.com/plant-based-diet-index

Alternate Healthy Eating Index:  https://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/what-is-harvards-alternative-healthy-eating-index-ahei-where-does-your-meal-rank/857745

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd heard it was even more nefarious than that - there were straight up brides to these guys paid to disavow sugars/sweets and place the blame on fats, etc.  

Didn't notice this thread when it was created years ago, and been catching up the past few days.

Everyone here has a weight story of some kind or another, and it involves friends or family members (or even ourselves).  I've posted some stuff about myself in the fatass threads on the help board.   

Just an anecdote about how we perceive ourselves; last January, my dad passed away.  A few weeks prior to that I took him to his doctor.  We were sitting in the waiting room, and he had trepidation over how much he was going to weigh.  I told him it was going to be fine,  but he wasn't so sure.  He hadn't weighed in a few years (he was 77 at the time), and felt like he was very overweight.  He didn't look any larger than he had been the past 20 or years, at least to me.

He weighed 195 fully clothed, at 5' 10".  He was disgusted with himself.  

miss you dad.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'll take a guess. The government knows that there isn't infrastructure or resources necessary for every American to switch to a traditional food pyramid; so they have to put shit out there like this. But I'm probably wrong.