Fat People

Hanrahan

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All started with a '50s biochemist, Ancel Keys, who decided on poor-to-no research that fats were responsible for heart disease. America was freaking out that Eisenhower had a heart attack. We had to find the one cause or cure for everyone.

70 years later, no one has once proven Keys correct and studies show that he was wrong.

John Harvey Kellogg thought that eating corn flakes would keep your hand off your dick and your system as pure as the aryan race. Much of this has also been proven to be false.

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd heard it was even more nefarious than that - there were straight up brides to these guys paid to disavow sugars/sweets and place the blame on fats, etc.  

the original sugar daddies

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

See that's another thing that makes no sense. You can't push that people need to be healthier and then push body positivity with examples like that.

Which one is it?

Not to argue but it can be both. That woman should be applauded for being able to do that pose. She didn't wake up one day and just did that pose on a whim. It took a lot of practice. 

With that said, damn woman. If you have that much conviction and self motivation to regularly do yoga, have the conviction and self motivation be mindful of what and how much you eat.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, texashorne said:

Rising grocery prices are going to further push people to buying cheaper, unhealthy options as well. 

And people are more sedentary since covid. 

Also smartphones and other technology. 

I don't buy this at all.  Eating better is cheaper, in my opinion.  For one thing, so many people also drink calories and that costs money -- whether it be booze or soda.  Water is free.

Rice, beans, frozen veggies, soups, stews, lentils, and basic proteins are cheaper than processed foods. Meal prepping is much cheaper than fast food.

I think this type of excuse making is part of the problem. Americans can afford to buy healthy foods -- you can get them at Wal Mart and are not required to go to Central Market -- most don't for various reasons that do not involve costs.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Not to argue but it can be both. That woman should be applauded for being able to do that pose. She didn't wake up one day and just did that pose on a whim. It took a lot of practice. 

With that said, damn woman. If you have that much conviction and self motivation to regularly do yoga, have the conviction and self motivation be mindful of what and how much you eat.

I am guessing there is a crane or something involved.  She is going to break her neck otherwise.

We should applaud overweight people working out and making better choices.  We should shame the shit out of anyone who claims you can be healthy and obese.  It is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd heard it was even more nefarious than that - there were straight up brides to these guys paid to disavow sugars/sweets and place the blame on fats, etc.  

Forcing them to marry unless they published these bad nutrition takes is indeed the most nefarious thing I've ever heard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2023 at 3:38 PM, Sawbonz said:

Most of the stuff above about eating “real food” is bullshit. It’s simple physics. Skinny people burn as much in calories as they ingest/absorb. Some people are blessed with a high resting metabolic rate, or don’t absorb all the calories they ingest, but otherwise that’s it. Walking to the store burns calories. If you buy carrots and celery when you get there you are good. If you buy a big gulp and 4 snickers not so much 

I will say there are studies that show HFCS may change your resting metabolic rate, but it also fucks with dopamine production, so that may be more of a factor (inducing you to consume more calories than you would.) than slowing your metabolism 

there are a few new medications that are very effective for weight loss and, shockingly, they curb hunger, leading to decreased caloric intake

*Have never been fat* Ran track Div 1 etc.  But got into heavy weights (405 for bench reps at 205 pounds bro!) and did put a little bad weight on.  Could still see some abs but not great.  During Covid nothing was open, so I would fast out of necessity because fuck packing a lunch…and soon realized I was at 14-15 hrs and the weight was coming off.  I kept it up and now fast 16-18 hrs 7 days a week.  It’s a simple calorie deficit.  Didn’t lose any muscle mass but the abs are back at 182-185 pounds.

moral of the story:  I’m a badass.  Also, people overthink this shit.  Burn more than you take in.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't buy this at all.  Eating better is cheaper, in my opinion.  For one thing, so many people also drink calories and that costs money -- whether it be booze or soda.  Water is free.

Rice, beans, frozen veggies, soups, stews, lentils, and basic proteins are cheaper than processed foods. Meal prepping is much cheaper than fast food.

I think this type of excuse making is part of the problem. Americans can afford to buy healthy foods -- you can get them at Wal Mart and are not required to go to Central Market -- most don't for various reasons that do not involve costs.

You're talking about cooking. Eating out is more expensive when it comes to higher quality or healthier meals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

See that's another thing that makes no sense. You can't push that people need to be healthier and then push body positivity with examples like that.

Which one is it?

I don't understand why people get so upset about stuff like this. First, there are in fact a subset of large people who are in good health. It's not a large subset, but they exist. Second, this person is exercising, isn't that what we want? If it if inspires some obese people to commit to exercising more, that is a good thing. Third, even if this person could do more, doing anything physical is positive. Finally, worst case scenario. it's not necessary to shame large people to make a point. There is nothing to be gained by making people feel bad about themselves for whatever reason. Not everyone has to be thin and fit to have value. Ideally everyone would be healthier and fitter, and there are discussions that need to be had about public health and how we view nutrition and portion sizes etc., all of which can be had without insulting obese people all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're talking about cooking. Eating out is more expensive when it comes to higher quality or healthier meals. 

this will lead to the discussion of how dumb fat poor people are responsible for the choices that cause them to be dumb fat and poor. shouldn't be eating mickey d's and shit when you could make a very economical bowl of dal. someone will post the video of the baby daddy getting yelled at for bringing Mcdonalds for only his kid and we'll feel good about how smart and good we are. and of course that's ultimately what that conversation would be about - feeling good about ourselves for not being dumb, fat, and poor, or at least not relative to the unfortunates. 

meal prepping can be cheaper but I do think if you just look at the raw price of lentils versus what you might spend at McDs, you miss some of the dynamics around why people make that choice every single day. Certainly some of it is laziness, some of it is lack of knowledge or awareness, but even people who know they could be doing better prepping meals at home, if they're trapped in a minimum wage cycle the amount of energy required to do all the things that need to be done to make that happen versus there's a fucking mcdonalds on every corner. At any rate, for any change to happen to fight the obesity problem that is one of the bigger problems we face as a country, macro solutions are required.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

there's a LOT of misunderstanding about that.  Only those who have attended UT football/basketball home games truly know.  

"DOOOOOOOOOONG"

i get the joke having attended a combined 1 billion texas sporting events...still funny username for the post.

I’ve always had the belief that the high school curriculum should be overhauled to make more sense for the vast majority of the population.  A course on health and nutrition including how to cook healthy would be very beneficial to most students about to graduate.  As would a course of budgeting and basic finances.  These should be required to graduate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

I’ve always had the belief that the high school curriculum should be overhauled to make more sense for the vast majority of the population.  A course on health and nutrition including how to cook healthy would be very beneficial to most students about to graduate.  As would a course of budgeting and basic finances.  These should be required to graduate.

why do you want to shame fat kids and their parents?????????

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

personal budgeting/finance are in some HS, then there's PE.  Need more fat shaming. 

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

A former first lady made school nutrition a key platform. It was, let's just say, "not well received" in certain circles. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

personal budgeting/finance are in some HS, then there's PE.  Need more fat shaming. 

I know that it’s in high schools but it’s not mandatory.  You shouldn’t be able to graduate high school without properly setting up a budget that includes the calculations of loan amounts and the interest that comes with them.  You also shouldn’t be able to graduate without the ability to cook 3 or 4 basic meals.  A lot of young adults eat out a ton because the simply don’t know how to cook.  That gets them dependent on fast food and they are never able to drop that dependency.  I know mid 30s couples that eat out 5 times a week because they can’t cook.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

this will lead to the discussion of how dumb fat poor people are responsible for the choices that cause them to be dumb fat and poor. shouldn't be eating mickey d's and shit when you could make a very economical bowl of dal. someone will post the video of the baby daddy getting yelled at for bringing Mcdonalds for only his kid and we'll feel good about how smart and good we are. and of course that's ultimately what that conversation would be about - feeling good about ourselves for not being dumb, fat, and poor, or at least not relative to the unfortunates. 

meal prepping can be cheaper but I do think if you just look at the raw price of lentils versus what you might spend at McDs, you miss some of the dynamics around why people make that choice every single day. Certainly some of it is laziness, some of it is lack of knowledge or awareness, but even people who know they could be doing better prepping meals at home, if they're trapped in a minimum wage cycle the amount of energy required to do all the things that need to be done to make that happen versus there's a fucking mcdonalds on every corner. At any rate, for any change to happen to fight the obesity problem that is one of the bigger problems we face as a country, macro solutions are required.

image.gif.b294624c732bc89baceb2b4adb5d624e.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Yeah, I go to the gym 5 days a week, but damn I can't do that pose.  Good for her. 

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Health and nutrition and how to budget and do taxes is clearly not as important as learning the quadratic equation.  Something I haven't used since....12th grade. 

• Like 1

I know that it’s in high schools but it’s not mandatory.  You shouldn’t be able to graduate high school without properly setting up a budget that includes the calculations of loan amounts and the interest that comes with them.  You also shouldn’t be able to graduate without the ability to cook 3 or 4 basic meals.  A lot of young adults eat out a ton because the simply don’t know how to cook.  That gets them dependent on fast food and they are never able to drop that dependency.  I know mid 30s couples that eat out 5 times a week because they can’t cook.

come on man. The solution to every societal ill is not another bullshit high school class that some coach who doesn't gaf will teach.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Agree.

Even when you factor in the added costs of organic/farm raised/local food there are ways to meal plan/freeze/container/systemize/leftover the process so that you get good food at a reasonable price.  Of course all of that hippie shit is not completely necessary, but a plan and a system is...and that takes work and a small investment in some cooking stuff and consistency of execution.  Also, it takes willing participants.  Case in point: I have two teenage boys still at home and they are not big on left overs, even if I get them ready, unless it is something that lends itself to reheating like brisket.  They are competitive rock climbers and kick my ass up and down the crag, but have no clue how this shit works despite my involving them in meal prep and family budgeting-perhaps it will sink in when they are paying the bills.

Also, the wife is good a torpedoing my meal and leftover plans too.

As others have also said, Fatness is but one El Guapo that we deal with.  Most other unhealthy habits and their manifestations are largely hidden from all but the most observant, but may nevertheless be even more destructive than excess weight and a poor diet.  There are numerous threads on this site devoted to the El Guapos of alcohol addiction, self made personality disorders, drugs, relationships, and, of course, following Texas Longhorns football.

• Haha 1