Fat People

Hanrahan

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

1 month in and I miss cigarettes about a billion times more than alcohol and slightly more than food.  God I loved smoking.  Having to give that up is awful (I mean it's healthy, but it really cuts down on my enjoyment of life). 

Have you tried the nicotine pouches?

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That will get better. A lot better. Pretty soon smoking will disgust you, like it does everyone else.

I quit smoking Jan 8 2003. After a pack a day for probably 15 years.

I like to do this math occasionally: pack a day x 30 days x 12 months X 20 years is 144,000 cigarettes I haven’t smoked through Jan 8 of this year.

144,000 fucking cigarettes I would have smoked.

That is something I’m proud of.

You also saved a lot of $$$$.  Assume $5 per pack (currently about $8 per pack) that’s about $36,000. Hard to see how people of average means (not that that’s you) can afford to smoke.

24 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Have you tried the nicotine pouches?

Can't do nicotine gum, pouches, snuff anything. It's the nicotine that's the actual problem- not the smoking (weird right). I mean the smoking isn't healthy but the nicotine messes with your blood vessels which mess with the surgery for sure during recovery, and even afterwards fucks with the linings and staples in your stomach and can cause your stomach to rip open. If that happens you are on your way to death or serious bodily injury.  So, yeah, no such luck.  

36 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That will get better. A lot better. Pretty soon smoking will disgust you, like it does everyone else.

I quit smoking Jan 8 2003. After a pack a day for probably 15 years.

I like to do this math occasionally: pack a day x 30 days x 12 months X 20 years is 144,000 cigarettes I haven’t smoked through Jan 8 of this year.

144,000 fucking cigarettes I would have smoked.

That is something I’m proud of.

You should be. It's harder to quit smoking than to quit crack or heroin according to the science/meds.  So, yeah- congrats to you.  I can't ever imagine I will find it disgusting. I loved it.  It was my second favorite thing to do behind only sex.  Third being eating.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Maybe if you're smoking some dogshit cigarettes. 

Yeah- my Marlboro lights come out to $9.00 a pack.  Assume that he is buying cartons though and you can get a carton for 75-80 around me.  You can get them on the cruise ship for $40.00 a carton.  My parents cruise a lot and used to always bring back 4 cartons which would last about 4-6 months (wife and I both smoked- her mostly only when she drank but a full pack when that happened). Me 6 or 8 cigs a day. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Maybe if you're smoking some dogshit cigarettes. 

I don’t smoke so I just googled it and it said avg price is $8 per in US.  If that’s low then I really don’t see how most people can afford a 1-2 pack a day habit.  

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- Yeah- society is different. The higher paying your job the more likely it is to be sedentary sitting behind a desk for 8 hours without moving. 
Yesterday was my first day back at work since my surgery. I’ve been WFH and reactive not proactive the last couple weeks.  I set an alarm to get up every hour and walk for 10 minutes. Managed to get in 6000 steps during the work day. Previously it had been about 500. Cool cool. My wife gets in 10,000 steps without trying doing housework. That pays nothing when it’s your house- 30k or so when you are doing other peoples houses for money.  When I was a busboy was probably my skinniest, that pay-  nothing- was fucking around at my parents restaurants over the summer time in between teaching school. If I was doing that for money it would have been $10 an hour. Awesome. 

Yet obesity is worse among the poor in the United States

Recent origin and evolution of obesity-income correlation across the United States | Humanities and Social Sciences Communications (nature.com)

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What are they called.. "Food Deserts"?

Because for many poors their only source of food are dollar trees and McDonalds. 

Makes my Poco Loco look like HEB in comparison.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sure, but even our poors are mostly sedentary compared to 1948 or 1932. I don't see a ton of fat busboys, construction guys, housekeepers, manual laborers etc.  My point was active jobs in the past (the vast majority of people) vs sedentary jobs now (most people). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Deej said:

Most wouldn't be buying healthy food if they had an HEB next door to their home. 

This is correct.  Poor people eat trash by choice.  There are some extenuating circumstances like odd work scheduled but by and large, they like Hot Pockets and fast food.

14 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is correct.  Poor people eat trash by choice.  There are some extenuating circumstances like odd work scheduled but by and large, they like Hot Pockets and fast food.

Poor people eat trash for a variety of reasons and only some are by willful, explicit choice. The others appear to be choice, but are really informed by the 2/3 of the iceburg you don't see-- generational poverty, stress/illness induced by poverty that affects metabolism and health, systematic racism, aforementioned food desserts that drive convenience culture, the culture and view in and around food that is born around all these things, etc.

I think you are being either ignorant or arrogant, by virtue of your virtue-- that is to say, because you once were fat, but now are not, your lived experience and view is very myopic.

You were once fat and now are found, but without the amazing grace for fat people, it seems.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Poor people eat trash for a variety of reasons and only some are by willful, explicit choice. The others appear to be choice, but are really informed by the 2/3 of the iceburg you don't see-- generational poverty, stress/illness induced by poverty that affects metabolism and health, systematic racism, aforementioned food desserts that drive convenience culture, the culture and view in and around food that is born around all these things, etc.

I think you are being either ignorant or arrogant, by virtue of your virtue-- that is to say, because you once were fat, but now are not, your lived experience and view is very myopic.

You were once fat and now are found, but without the amazing grace for fat people, it seems.

I've spent 20 years in the CPG food space but tell me more about what poor people eat and why.  Big Retail has lost untold millions of dollars trying to deliver healthy food at a cheap price to poor people.  They simply don't want it.  They want Hot Pockets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've spent 20 years in the CPG food space but tell me more about what poor people eat and why.  Big Retail has lost untold millions of dollars trying to deliver healthy food at a cheap price to poor people.  They simply don't want it.  They want Hot Pockets.

In what capacity and roles in the CPG food space, as specific as you can be or vague as you want, would be helpful to know what's informing your experience. I've spent a little bit in the space myself /greenlanternmeme

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

In what capacity and roles in the CPG food space, as specific as you can be or vague as you want, would be helpful to know what's informing your experience. I've spent a little bit in the space myself /greenlanternmeme

Various big box retailers and various CPG suppliers.  All food (dry, frozen, fresh, etc.).

Just walk around a lower tier grocery store on the days that EBT hits.  Look into the baskets.  Look at the end caps.

Also, pay attention to the commercials during sports.  While those are aimed at young men, they're on the lower end of the economic totem pole.  It's a bunch of trash fast food.  It ain't Cool Greens.

• Hook 'Em 2

Various big box retailers and various CPG suppliers.  All food (dry, frozen, fresh, etc.).
Just walk around a lower tier grocery store on the days that EBT hits.  Look into the baskets.  Look at the end caps.
Also, pay attention to the commercials during sports.  While those are aimed at young men, they're on the lower end of the economic totem pole.  It's a bunch of trash fast food.  It ain't Cool Greens.

All that seems to be a problem that should be changed. I know it’s easy to say we’ll be smart and ignore the commercials and shop only the outer aisles of the supermarket, but you know it isn’t all that simple. For many people it is, but a lot has been done to try and program us into consumers. Bother consumers in the general capitalistic sense, as well this context of food. I think there is middle ground between what you are saying and what crispy is talking.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

All that seems to be a problem that should be changed. I know it’s easy to say we’ll be smart and ignore the commercials and shop only the outer aisles of the supermarket, but you know it isn’t all that simple. For many people it is, but a lot has been done to try and program us into consumers. Bother consumers in the general capitalistic sense, as well this context of food. I think there is middle ground between what you are saying and what crispy is talking.

The middle ground is to change consumer behavior and that's been tried and failed.  I'd love it if all the poors ate better but I got a business to run.

We all like to pretend like we're big brained brads but much of what we do is driven by what we've always done, what we've always seen done, and what we've always understood to do. Poor people make shitty food choices for the same reason they smoke and buy lotto scratchers and do the myriad other po folk things that they do. Which is the same reason middle class people go around doing middle class shit. People can change, they can break free from cycles, but they don't usually and almost never completely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, South Austin said:

I get it, Lobo (like Cassius Clay, you’ll always be Lobo to me). There were a lot of folks in the park who could easily shed some weight. But they were still relatively compared to the mass of people who looked like they were auditioning for the lead in the sequel to The Whale.

It’s one thing to see a few people like that scattered in a crowd. But it was a significant part of the park’s population. And the sad thing is a lot of them are starting their kids down that path at a very young age.

Yeah, when you see the obese kids under the age of 12, that makes me furious.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, when you see the obese kids under the age of 12, that makes me furious.

I get that same reaction.  Sure, there might be a small number of genetic outliers.  But for most of those obese kids, their diets largely fall on their parents, who have put them in the diabetes fast lane.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I get that same reaction.  Sure, there might be a small number of genetic outliers.  But for most of those obese kids, their diets largely fall on their parents, who have put them in the diabetes fast lane.

First thought is damn, those kids will never know what it's like to be skinny in their entire lives. That's a shame.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Rich people like hot pockets and fast food too, amigo. This is America. The difference is that rich people can afford better stuff and are better educated on the impact that different foods have on your well-being. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

First thought is damn, those kids will never know what it's like to be skinny in their entire lives. That's a shame.

They also compare themselves to their friends who are likely fat.  They don’t even realize they’re fat.  They think they’re normal sized.

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

Perhaps the biggest spread between what could be and what it actually is in the history of food. Insanely mouth-burning hot on the ends with still unmelted cheese in the middle.

14 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They also compare themselves to their friends who are likely fat.  They don’t even realize they’re fat.  They think they’re normal sized.

I was talking to a buddy about going to a game at Q2 in a couple weeks and he said we had to be sure and get our seats in the section with bigger chairs. I had no idea what he was talking about, but apparently some sections feature larger seats. The constant worry and stress that comes with being big can't be good for you on top of the physical damage.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I was talking to a buddy about going to a game at Q2 in a couple weeks and he said we had to be sure and get our seats in the section with bigger chairs. I had no idea what he was talking about, but apparently some sections feature larger seats. The constant worry and stress that comes with being big can't be good for you on top of the physical damage.

I saw a couple adults get turned away at some of the rides at Universal Studios.  And I'm not talking about kiddie rides.  I mean the adult rides, the ones that say "You must be this tall to ride," but nowhere do they have anything similar for folks who might be too large for a standard adult amusement park ride.  So you have to eyeball it when it's close to you're turn up.  Or you attempt to take an open seat and realize then that the body restraint won't come down as far as it's supposed to, and then staff tells you you can't ride.  I imagine that comes with some amount of humiliation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I saw a couple adults get turned away at some of the rides at Universal Studios.  And I'm not talking about kiddie rides.  I mean the adult rides, the ones that say "You must be this tall to ride," but nowhere do they have anything similar for folks who might be too large for a standard adult amusement park ride.  So you have to eyeball it when it's close to you're turn up.  Or you attempt to take an open seat and realize then that the body restraint won't come down as far as it's supposed to, and then staff tells you you can't ride.  I imagine that comes with some amount of humiliation. 

That's not really true. You didn't notice it but at the beginning of the line or the front of the attraction they have a seat that you can sit in to see if you fit- they should have done that.  Now- one time I fit in that seat but couldn't get the restraint down (Universal) when it was my time to ride and that was after a 75 minute wait, so that sucked and was sort of humiliating like you described.  But, every fat person should know about those chairs and try them on so they don't waste their time nor humiliate themselves. 

Also- at Universal most of their rides have specific rows with bigger seats for fat people- so they will tell you- row 2 or row 6 please when you get on and then you magically fit whereas you wouldn't fit in most places. 

When I just went to Fiesta TX there was only 1 ride I didn't fit on and that was a very old one and I didn't fit by like 1/2 an inch. If I got the attendant to help I probably would have but didn't really care. Ride was dinky and I'd only waited like 5 or 10 minutes with my kids so it was whatever.  That was down from last time I went and had 1/2 the rides I couldn't ride. Universal is much more fat friendly on their thrill rides than 6 flags. 

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's not really true. You didn't notice it but at the beginning of the line or the front of the attraction they have a seat that you can sit in to see if you fit- they should have done that. 

Could be.  But I have seen two people turned away right at the point of boarding.  So either those rides didn't have special accommodations or nothing or nobody pointed out any special seating or measuring seat to the patrons.  In any event, I felt bad for them.

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

1 month in and I miss cigarettes about a billion times more than alcohol and slightly more than food.  God I loved smoking.  Having to give that up is awful (I mean it's healthy, but it really cuts down on my enjoyment of life). 

Man, I forgot IRL that you also used to smoke (certainly ate and drank with you).  I'm cheering for you to tackle this all at once, that's gotta be a bitch and a half.  You're a good dad for taking this big a swing at a helluva fucking pitch. 

When i started making bigger changes ~8 months ago, the other guys in my "older" dads club basically all concluded, it's about this age in your life with young kids you literally have to shit or get off the pot (I was also terribly irregular).  None of us, not a one, is gonna hit some hot streak at 50 and get all ripped and energetic and dry out and quit bad habits magically.  You quit what you need to quit and make the changes you need to make, or you don't see them graduate.  My wife cried and said, "don't you want to walk her down the aisle"?  I didn't have the heart to tell her my goal was simply to make it to their 18th birthday;  college or a wedding or grandchildren weren't a possibility.  Obviously anything can still happen, but I'm on a better path for the first time in years.  

Yeah, I know real change comes from within and satisfying yourself.  But I'm a self-hating Jew, I don't give a shit if I'm happy, sad, fit, or fat.  I'm doing this for my girls.  If that ain't enough, I'll die trying.  The world is filled with self-enriching programs, books, programs, lectures, retreats, mantras, and crossfit classes.  And the world is filled with plenty of assholes just like me.  But those two little munchkins.  There is no replacement on this planet, no self-help course, yoga class, nor Oprah endorsed book that can replace Dad.  This is for them.  Fuck the rest of it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

Could be.  But I have seen two people turned away right at the point of boarding.  So either those rides didn't have special accommodations or nothing or nobody pointed out any special seating or measuring seat to the patrons.  In any event, I felt bad for them.

That kid that recently died - that happened.  Big 14yr old kid, it was on the ride that goes up, and then drops down.  His harness came undone and he lost a fight with gravity.  Video is tough to watch

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

FFP (former fat person) here.  Lost 120/130 lbs over the course of a year and a half or so.  I went from 315 to 185/190.  In my opinion, it just takes willpower and the desire to change.  I did it without surgery and just by changing my diet and exercising.  I now eat more volume wise than I did when I was 315 pounds.  I also do distance running which helps and do weight training 3 or 4 times per week but in my opinion, it’s 100% a mental game of reprogramming yourself to actually eat well.

If people would just stop eating shitty fast food, cooked at home 90% of the time, and walked half an hour a day, a lot of people would actually lose weight.  A huge problem, in my opinion, is the media and publicity of dieting to lose weight.  A diet is a short term fix to a long-term problem because it has a finite beginning and end.  Losing weight and keeping it off is a life-style change.  I’m continuously mystified by the studies that come out that says Americans eat fast food on average 6 times per week or whatever the number is.  I honestly can’t remember the last time I had fast food.  The amount of money that Americans spend on eating out is such a waste.  It’s not just fast food either.  All of the restaurants that Americans eat at have portion sizes that are way too large, cook everything in butter or peanut oil, and we eat it all because we were trained to by our parents (clean your plate or you can’t leave the table!) Americans are too lazy, too “busy”, and aren’t incentivized to lose weight and be healthy.  It’s easier to just go through the drive-thru which is a fucking problem.

If I had a dime for every time I heard a fat person say “I’ve tried dieting…it just doesn’t work for me!”, I’d be a fucking thousandaire.  No shit, thanks mainstream media.  It’s not a fucking diet.  It’s a lifestyle change.  I’m busy as shit, travel for work, have a kid in little league, run a half marathon damn near every weekend, and STILL have the time to meal prep every other fucking workday.  When I travel for work, do I eat out 3 meals a day?  No, I go to the grocery store on my way to the hotel and get healthy food for breakfast and dinner.  It’s a fucking choice to be healthy.  It’s a hell of a lot easier to be fat and lazy because of the fast food giants lobbying their way into Congress.  

Eat eggs, oatmeal, chicken, rice, avocados, leaner cuts of beef, fruits, nuts, and vegetables.  Stop eating processed foods with sugar added and stop drinking fucking calories.  Fuck Coca-cola.  

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and Americans are addicted to fucking sugar.  We put sugar in everything.  Coffee, tea, food, orange juice, fucking PEANUT BUTTER!.  WHY?  If I had to estimate, I’d say the average adult American consumes about 800 calories per day in liquid calories.  Drink fucking water or coffee with Splenda.  It’s not difficult people.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

FFP (former fat person) here.  Lost 120/130 lbs over the course of a year and a half or so.  I went from 315 to 185/190.  In my opinion, it just takes willpower and the desire to change.  I did it without surgery and just by changing my diet and exercising.  I now eat more volume wise than I did when I was 315 pounds.  I also do distance running which helps and do weight training 3 or 4 times per week but in my opinion, it’s 100% a mental game of reprogramming yourself to actually eat well.

If people would just stop eating shitty fast food, cooked at home 90% of the time, and walked half an hour a day, a lot of people would actually lose weight.  A huge problem, in my opinion, is the media and publicity of dieting to lose weight.  A diet is a short term fix to a long-term problem because it has a finite beginning and end.  Losing weight and keeping it off is a life-style change.  I’m continuously mystified by the studies that come out that says Americans eat fast food on average 6 times per week or whatever the number is.  I honestly can’t remember the last time I had fast food.  The amount of money that Americans spend on eating out is such a waste.  It’s not just fast food either.  All of the restaurants that Americans eat at have portion sizes that are way too large, cook everything in butter or peanut oil, and we eat it all because we were trained to by our parents (clean your plate or you can’t leave the table!) Americans are too lazy, too “busy”, and aren’t incentivized to lose weight and be healthy.  It’s easier to just go through the drive-thru which is a fucking problem.

If I had a dime for every time I heard a fat person say “I’ve tried dieting…it just doesn’t work for me!”, I’d be a fucking thousandaire.  No shit, thanks mainstream media.  It’s not a fucking diet.  It’s a lifestyle change.  I’m busy as shit, travel for work, have a kid in little league, run a half marathon damn near every weekend, and STILL have the time to meal prep every other fucking workday.  When I travel for work, do I eat out 3 meals a day?  No, I go to the grocery store on my way to the hotel and get healthy food for breakfast and dinner.  It’s a fucking choice to be healthy.  It’s a hell of a lot easier to be fat and lazy because of the fast food giants lobbying their way into Congress.  

Eat eggs, oatmeal, chicken, rice, avocados, leaner cuts of beef, fruits, nuts, and vegetables.  Stop eating processed foods with sugar added and stop drinking fucking calories.  Fuck Coca-cola.  

Sorry for the rant.

55 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and Americans are addicted to fucking sugar.  We put sugar in everything.  Coffee, tea, food, orange juice, fucking PEANUT BUTTER!.  WHY?  If I had to estimate, I’d say the average adult American consumes about 800 calories per day in liquid calories.  Drink fucking water or coffee with Splenda.  It’s not difficult people.

Holy shit!  He's solved it all, people.  What has worked for one person is a panacea that will save us all.

Seriously, though.  Congrats.  Happy that you found a way that worked for you.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Not just the US. Visit Mexico. Park in front of any tienda/OXXO and watch fat latinas waddle in all day long to spend their last peso on a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a bag of cookies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Not just the US. Visit Mexico. Park in front of any tienda/OXXO and watch fat latinas waddle in all day long to spend their last peso on a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a bag of cookies. 

And man, in 2020, they got serious about their warning labels:

alertgraphic.jpg?h=220&w=322&la=en&rev=2

First time I picked up a Mexican coke (a rare treat for me) and was confronted by the first two big black stopsigns, I was taken aback a bit.

Still bought the coke, though.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Holy shit!  He's solved it all, people.  What has worked for one person is a panacea that will save us all.

Seriously, though.  Congrats.  Happy that you found a way that worked for you.  

Like I said, it was a rant.  Sorry.  Maybe I should have posted in “Trivial things that make you surly” instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Sorry for the rant.

Congrats on being in the 5% of people that can pull that off losing that weight and keeping it off. You are a statistical anomaly.  You should certainly act with vitriol toward the other 95% of the people that aren't as capable as you at oh, I don't know, completely and totally reprograming their entire life without any help. Totally no big deal.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

when I was single, I would often entertain myself by cooking in the evening but also ate out all the time. now that I have a wife who cooks dinner every night (in a given month there will be a couple of date nights and on average 1 pizza/burger/chinese night) I almost never do, even for lunch. not trying to come at this from a "wives belong in the kitchen" angle but I wonder how directly obesity struggles relate to how much more difficult it has become to support a household on an average single income.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Congrats on being in the 5% of people that can pull that off losing that weight and keeping it off. You are a statistical anomaly.  You should certainly act with vitriol toward the other 95% of the people that aren't as capable as you at oh, I don't know, completely and totally reprograming their entire life without any help. Totally no big deal.  

Thanks.

• Haha 1