Fat People

Hanrahan

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And man, in 2020, they got serious about their warning labels:

alertgraphic.jpg?h=220&w=322&la=en&rev=2

First time I picked up a Mexican coke (a rare treat for me) and was confronted by the first two big black stopsigns, I was taken aback a bit.

Still bought the coke, though.

unless it was in a glass bottle, it wasn't any different than the Coke you buy at 7-11 in Pampa. Coke Mexico switched over to corn syrup years ago.

Congrats on being in the 5% of people that can pull that off losing that weight and keeping it off. You are a statistical anomaly.  You should certainly act with vitriol toward the other 95% of the people that aren't as capable as you at oh, I don't know, completely and totally reprograming their entire life without any help. Totally no big deal.  

It is striking how many people who post in the Whataburger thread that don’t understand the problem. One whataburger, never mind the fries and coke, would wreck my diet for a week.

Everyone is different. There are no easy answers. Folks writing off others and claiming this is easy are really insensitive.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

unless it was in a glass bottle, it wasn't any different than the Coke you buy at 7-11 in Pampa. Coke Mexico switched over to corn syrup years ago.

It was in the glass bottle.  I know about the switch, I read the label.  Like I said, a "full sugar" soda is a treat I have a handful of times a year, I make sure it's worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Like I said, it was a rant.  Sorry.  Maybe I should have posted in “Trivial things that make you surly” instead.

out of curiosity, how long have you kept the weight off? Were the steps incremental, or did you just wake up one day and and say "I'm going to completely change my life"? 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It was in the glass bottle.  I know about the switch, I read the label.  Like I said, a "full sugar" soda is a treat I have a handful of times a year, I make sure it's worth it.

🤘 you're one of the few. I get a good laugh reading mexico FB travel group posts from people sneaking back 40 liters of "Mexican Coke" that is identical to the US stuff.

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

out of curiosity, how long have you kept the weight off? Were the steps incremental, or did you just wake up one day and and say "I'm going to completely change my life"? 

One day I said I was done being the fat guy.  It was my 30th birthday - almost exactly 5 years ago.  Lost the weight over the course of 18 months and kept it off for the last 3.5 years.  I was getting winded from running around with my 18 month old and was tired of it.  I probably went a little overboard the first initial 6 months (went OMAD, no more sodas, no sugar, etc.).  Looking back, I don’t think what I did was exactly “healthy” but I’ve found a good balance now.  I eat, a lot, but make good choices.  I fluctuate between 180-190 (I’m 6’2”) depending on if it’s running season or not.  Just did my first full marathon in January and enjoyed it enough to sign up for one again next year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Like I said, it was a rant.  Sorry.  Maybe I should have posted in “Trivial things that make you surly” instead.

I get it... I've been where you are. 

When I turned 40, I made a decision that I was going to make a big change.  I became much more disciplined about what I ate, and I took up distance running.  I signed up for a marathon six months in the future.  My weight when I started caused me to have right knee issues and I had to slow down my training plan.  I only did the half marathon at the six month mark, but signed up for another full later that year.  I kept with my training plan religiously for 10 months.  I dropped 40 lbs and could run a 10K in 45 minutes.  Nothing spectacular, but I was damn happy with myself.  I kept running and eating well for three years.  It was fun to keep up with all of the 20-somethings in my command.  

Then life changed.  I retired from the Navy and moved from San Diego to Monterey, CA.  I tried to keep running, but I found the hills around Monterey to be fucking brutal and what had once been a fun way to exercise became a huge chore.  That was 8 years and 60 lbs ago. 

Now I keep trying to mind-fuck myself back into exercising regularly and eating well.  It's a lot harder at 51 than it was at 40.   Guess my point is that it feels simple once you get going and get into a groove and you wonder why everyone else doesn't "just do it."  I know I felt that way at times.

Edited by Guadaloopy
typo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I get it... I've been where you are. 

When I turned 40, I made a decision that I was going to make a big change.  I became much more disciplined about what I ate, and I took up distance running.  I signed up for a marathon six months in the future.  My weight when I started caused me to have right knee issues and I had to slow down my training plan.  I only did the half marathon at the six month mark, but signed up for another full later that year.  I kept with my training plan religiously for 10 months.  I dropped 40 lbs and could run a 10K in 45 minutes.  Nothing spectacular, but I was damn happy with myself.  I kept running and eating well for three years.  It was fun to keep up with all of the 20-somethings in my command.  

Then life changed.  I retired from the Navy and moved from San Diego to Monterey, CA.  I tried to keep running, but I found the hills around Monterey to be fucking brutal and what had once been a fun way to exercise became a huge chore.  That was 8 years and 60 lbs ago. 

Now I keep trying to mind-fuck myself back into exercising regularly and eating well.  It's a lot harder at 51 than is was at 40.   Guess my point is that it feels simple once you get going and get into a groove and you wonder why everyone else doesn't "just do it."  I know I felt that way at times.

Oh I know - I can be an insensitive asshole towards the people that I used to be like.  It’s not fair to them, they just haven’t hit that point.  I don’t place the entire blame on them.  It’s not wholly their fault.  It’s a shared problem between them, the fast food industry, industrialization of the food industry adding preservatives and overall shit chemicals that fill the inner shelves of the grocery stores.  

It’s something I’m working on personally (my attitude towards other people).

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Oh I know - I can be an insensitive asshole towards the people that I used to be like.  It’s not fair to them, they just haven’t hit that point.  I don’t place the entire blame on them.  It’s not wholly their fault.  It’s a shared problem between them, the fast food industry, industrialization of the food industry adding preservatives and overall shit chemicals that fill the inner shelves of the grocery stores.  

Look man- I ain't mad at you. And the bullshit about healthy at any weight pisses me off and I've always been a fat guy... because it's just not true and people don't need to be lied to.  

But, the reason I pointed out the statistic to you that you are 1 in 20 people that has successfully done this is b/c you should be aware of how unusual your situation is, and that should inform your feelings toward others that aren't able to do what you can do. It's why the best players typically make shitty coaches- MJ wants to know why you don't just hit someone with a crossover, spin around and jump from the FT line switch hands and hit the layup while going through 3 guys.  Why don't you do that man?  Well MJ- it's easy for you but you are a 1 of 1 man- how about you give us something more useful for mere mortals.

Put another way- if your solution to something is expecting everyone to be able to do what the 95th percentile can do... that's not a solution.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look man- I ain't mad at you. And the bullshit about healthy at any weight pisses me off and I've always been a fat guy... because it's just not true and people don't need to be lied to.  

But, the reason I pointed out the statistic to you that you are 1 in 20 people that has successfully done this is b/c you should be aware of how unusual your situation is, and that should inform your feelings toward others that aren't able to do what you can do. It's why the best players typically make shitty coaches- MJ wants to know why you don't just hit someone with a crossover, spin around and jump from the FT line switch hands and hit the layup while going through 3 guys.  Why don't you do that man?  Well MJ- it's easy for you but you are a 1 of 1 man- how about you give us something more useful for mere mortals.

Put another way- if your solution to something is expecting everyone to be able to do what the 95th percentile can do... that's not a solution.  

I truly appreciate the feedback.  Thanks.

Don't eat until your full. Don't keep food in the house that provides instant gratification. I lost weight by realizing that unless I was really hungry, I was too lazy to actually cook a meal, and I had nothing in the house that I could eat unless I had to spend time preparing it. 

Edited by Deej

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Congrats on being in the 5% of people that can pull that off losing that weight and keeping it off. You are a statistical anomaly.  You should certainly act with vitriol toward the other 95% of the people that aren't as capable as you at oh, I don't know, completely and totally reprograming their entire life without any help. Totally no big deal.  

it does feel like, from Aqua Buddha and pearland who are self-described former fatties, that there is a lot of disdain once they've gotten all hot and skinny like the rest of us. You don't have to make up for lost time and you can have empathy and compassion for those still suffering and struggling with food abuse or food injury or any other reason for their obesity. Y'all know that right?

It's also pretty telling that you probably thought and talked to yourselves in such negative and harmful ways when y'all were fat, if y'all think it's just fat people can't put food down and stop eating and "they just don't understand it's basic math, more calories out than in!", which is kinda sad. I guess that is where the body positivity movement was born out of, to help people's mental health while struggling with something that might be a lot part genetic and brain injury related rather than just income-based and will-power related.

Edited by HamsterHookah

27 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

it does feel like, from Aqua Buddha and pearland who are self-described former fatties, that there is a lot of disdain once they've gotten all hot and skinny like the rest of us. You don't have to make up for lost time and you can have empathy and compassion for those still suffering and struggling with food abuse or food injury or any other reason for their obesity. Y'all know that right?

It's also pretty telling that you probably thought and talked to yourselves in such negative and harmful ways when y'all were fat, if y'all think it's just fat people can't put food down and stop eating and "they just don't understand it's basic math, more calories out than in!", which is kinda sad. I guess that is where the body positivity movement was born out of, to help people's mental health while struggling with something that might be a lot part genetic and brain injury related rather than just income-based and will-power related.

We have disdain because we know it's not as impossible as you make it out to be.  Early 30's, I was 235 lbs at 6'0".  The wife was 185 lbs at 5'6".  We both realized we were fat and were tired of being fat.  We got a gym membership for a year and barely used it.  It came up for renewal and I wanted to cancel.  The wife said no but let's use it this year.  We started out at a few times a week and cleaned up our diet.  Mostly chicken, veggies, and pasta during the week.  A few cheat meals on the weekends.  Oatmeal for breakfast.  Shit like that.

We started running 5K's, then 10K's, then a half marathon.  This took 3-4 years to work up.  The wife would eventually run the Marine Corps Marathon in 3:45 at age 40.  When she started, she could barely run down the street.  Now she's 135 lbs and I'm 190 lbs and we both live a normal lifestyle.  Nothing crazy.

Stop acting like we cured ourselves of cancer.  We cured ourselves of being fat and obesity is not a disease.  It's a simple lifestyle change.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I originally thought they switched to avoid a Mexican sugar surtax, passed because gordos, but just read the surtax applies to any sweetener.

edit: evidently their 10% soda surtax there led to almost 6% drop in consumption.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Do fat people's brains also tell them not to exercise?  

My skinny brain tells me that. That's what its saying right now.

I've never had weight problems, and quit smoking on a lark because my friends were talking about (they did not quit). But even I see that if I were fat I would probably stay that way.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1

Former fatty-ish here -- 260 at 6'3" in my late 20s/early 30s.  I'm now around 200 at 41yo. Cutting back a bit for another visible abs summer (douche alert), when I'll be low 190s.

Is it simply or just a lifestyle change? Not quite. it took the better part of a decade for my wife and I to deprogram ourselves from our poor people lifestyle patterns and the typical American diet. We are still working on it but are pretty close to a good equilibrium that allows us to have fun but not pack the pounds back on.

But I think it's facile to chalk it up to diet. Or wrapping it up neatly in a package of just lifestyle change. Most people need to be comfortable with it being dozens or hundreds of small good habits that you build, and bad habits that you lose until, one day, you blink, and you can't believe how you looked in pictures or what you used to eat.

But I agree with those in here that think it's asking a lot to make a broad lifestyle change. But to ask people to do something small better a few times a month until, a year or two down the road, it aggregates into a lifestyle change? That's fair. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, choripan said:

Former fatty-ish here -- 260 at 6'3" in my late 20s/early 30s.  I'm now around 200 at 41yo. Cutting back a bit for another visible abs summer (douche alert), when I'll be low 190s.

Is it simply or just a lifestyle change? Not quite. it took the better part of a decade for my wife and I to deprogram ourselves from our poor people lifestyle patterns and the typical American diet. We are still working on it but are pretty close to a good equilibrium that allows us to have fun but not pack the pounds back on.

But I think it's facile to chalk it up to diet. Or wrapping it up neatly in a package of just lifestyle change. Most people need to be comfortable with it being dozens or hundreds of small good habits that you build, and bad habits that you lose until, one day, you blink, and you can't believe how you looked in pictures or what you used to eat.

But I agree with those in here that think it's asking a lot to make a broad lifestyle change. But to ask people to do something small better a few times a month until, a year or two down the road, it aggregates into a lifestyle change? That's fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Don't eat until your full. Don't keep food in the house that provides instant gratification. I lost weight by realizing that unless I was really hungry, I was too lazy to actually cook a meal, and I had nothing in the house that I could eat unless I had to spend time preparing it. 

*You're.  How much fast food do you eat in a week?  How does it impact your weight?  How does the sodium impact your blood pressure and biomarkers for cardiovascular disease?  How often do you monitor your blood glucose?

Edited by tigol
Questions.

I eat fast food maybe once a week (and I'm counting Dirty's as my once a week.) I just don't eat a lot anymore, and according to my watch, I do enough steps to equal about 8 miles a day. Not being sedentary is the key. I'm 53, 6'2", and go between 173 and 190. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6-1 185, mid 40s here. Losing weight is hard because you really do have to make lifestyle changes and keep them. Forever. Which is fine if you want to enjoy your older years.

The consistency is hard. I use all kinds of tricks to stay motivated, find what works for you and dont let excuses pop up. Every bit of effort matters. I use planned trips as motivation- got to be ready for that surf trip this July and i need strong shoulders; I need strong legs to protect my knees so i cant skip leg day. I have 20 min before my kids game starts- get in a short run, bang out some push ups, do some burpees. 30 min of yoga is better than none. Feel like shit, hit gym and give it 20 min, I almost always end up going full workout once there. Hire a trainer, prepay for classes -whatever it takes. Play sports with your kids. Go ref some games. Take the stairs. Walk more. All of it.

I lift 3-5 times a week, do yoga 2-3x a week, paddle on the lake or swim and mountain bike. As you get older (mid 40s) injuries will sideline you creating excused to skip workouts which fucks shit up badly. When I last had a running injury and could no longer run I gained 10 lbs before I snapped to riding bikes and more yoga. Or my current knee injury, started gaining weight until I got in the gym and did whatever I could on crutches. If I can't burn a fuckload of calories then I have to eat clean and cut out booze completely. This week if I hit gym 5 days I'll reward myself with a few drinks for the basketball game and maybe some noach. Next week if I'm so busy I slack a bit, I gotta cut calories and fast some as my burn rate drops.
Highly recommend strength training and HIT training versus repetitive cardio. I've seen too many people over train just doing running. Either way mix it up. A buddy of mine lost 40lbs just walking, playing disk golf and doing basic body resistance work like push-ups and pull-ups consistently- every day. My brother on the other hand does hard core Keto plus cardio but the cardio is inconsistent so hes always hungry and suffering and chubby and pretty weak. Even on vacation get in some work to mitigate extra calories and not fall back into a rut. It's enjoyable as shit to run in Central Park or bang out a workout in a hotel gym before a fun day. It's great to hit a yoga class at the beach instead of drinking or hammock time. I also enjoy vacation more if I mix in a few hours of strenuous effort surfing, hiking, skiing, gym time, yoga or sport fucking before chill time.

Get your annual physical. Some get spiritual cause they see the light; some cause they feel the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like how we're told it's impossible to lose weight long term for all but 2% but we have numerous people posting stories about how they did it and their stories are essentially all the same.

Nice sample size, asshole.  

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

I eat fast food maybe once a week (and I'm counting Dirty's as my once a week.) I just don't eat a lot anymore, and according to my watch, I do enough steps to equal about 8 miles a day. Not being sedentary is the key. I'm 53, 6'2", and go between 173 and 190. 

Congrats on your exceptional metabolism.

• Haha 1

Yep that's exactly it. I used to not feel comfortable eating a meal without milk, a soda or maybe a lemonade for a drink. It just wasn't "right". So I didn't drink sodas or anything with sugar for about a decade until water became normal, maybe sparkling water at a nice meal.

I used to have a small dessert after dinner. Mostly nope there too.
I used to get fries, mostly nope. If I do I'm splitting a small fry maybe.

Over time I just don't want fries. I don't want carbs. But you start eating that shit and the body wants it more.

I relaxed a bit, I'll order a coke on a plane because it's like 4oz of shit not 44 Oz and trust me after you obstain for awhile the little airline soda cup is amazing and enough sugar.

About this business of your body not feeing full.  It's because it's used to the huge amount of food you're putting in it.  

Here's an example of the reverse.  I spent a week in Chicago on business in February with one of our suppliers.  They kept taking us out to lunch and dinner every single day and that was on top of breakfast at the hotel.  (I generally only eat oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and lean meats, veggies, and pasta for dinner.)  Instead, it was like a cheat day every day for lunch and dinner.  I got back on Friday and you know what happened on Saturday?  I literally shat three times.  I didn't have "the shits."  I just shat three times that day.  You know why?  My body simply wasn't used to that amount of food and it didn't know what to do.  For you fats, your body is the opposite.  You've trained it that a high volume of shit food is normal and it adjusts.

That's your problem that you need Ozympic to fix.  You're just eating too much.

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

It's not hard.  Quit being an asshole.  Should be easy for you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I got up to 228 when I was at a bad spot in life and let myself shut down my physical activity. Keep moving and your metabolism will burn hotter. You may not be skinny, but you probably won't be obese. 

You sound like a fat person that eats a ton of fast food.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We have disdain because we know it's not as impossible as you make it out to be.  Early 30's, I was 235 lbs at 6'0".  The wife was 185 lbs at 5'6".  We both realized we were fat and were tired of being fat.  We got a gym membership for a year and barely used it.  It came up for renewal and I wanted to cancel.  The wife said no but let's use it this year.  We started out at a few times a week and cleaned up our diet.  Mostly chicken, veggies, and pasta during the week.  A few cheat meals on the weekends.  Oatmeal for breakfast.  Shit like that.

We started running 5K's, then 10K's, then a half marathon.  This took 3-4 years to work up.  The wife would eventually run the Marine Corps Marathon in 3:45 at age 40.  When she started, she could barely run down the street.  Now she's 135 lbs and I'm 190 lbs and we both live a normal lifestyle.  Nothing crazy.

Stop acting like we cured ourselves of cancer.  We cured ourselves of being fat and obesity is not a disease.  It's a simple lifestyle change.

Yeah, just a normal lifestyle running marathons huh?  I have a genetic condition that resulted in severe adult onset asthma in my mid 30s. I ran 4 to 6 miles a day and weighed 60 pounds less than I do today before the asthma.

I’m glad your wife runs a lot and did a marathon. fucking great. There’s a shit ton of people who cannot do that for a very wide number of reasons.  Some posters on this thread say, “well, just get off your lazy ass and go run and lose weight.”  Some of us are not blessed with the ability to run or do much other exercise

y’all come across as insensitive judgmental assholes, FYI.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Yeah, just a normal lifestyle running marathons huh?  I have a genetic condition that resulted in severe adult onset asthma in my mid 30s. I ran 4 to 6 miles a day and weighed 60 pounds less than I do today before the asthma.

I’m glad your wife runs a lot and did a marathon. fucking great. There’s a shit ton of people who cannot do that for a very wide number of reasons.  Some posters on this thread say, “well, just get off your lazy ass and go run and lose weight.”  Some of us are not blessed with the ability to run or do much other exercise

FWIW, if you're including me in that group, I'd encourage you to re-read my post, where I say it's not simple or easy and involves hundreds of small lifestyle changes over years, if you're going to get it to stick. As with most things, cold turkey doesn't work for most people and then, when it doesn't work, they get frustrated.

Also, I think it's implied that what folks are talking about here doesn't apply to people with health challenges like pituitary gland issues or hormone regulation issues or something like that. For the remaining large majority of larger people, though, it would apply.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I know right?  What’s funny is the people that talk about how they are having success and it’s so easy why can’t anyone do it are unwittingly proving their point talking about running marathons, or traveling every day and going to grocery stores to buy breakfast and dinner to make themselves or subsisting on small numbers of calories a day, or “3 times a year I drink 4 OZ of coke and let me tell you buddy that’s a treat/or that thing wrecks my body. 
Could anyone do all this stuff if they completely changed their life and made this first priority and put it in front of everything else?  Sure, with a couple exceptions probably. 
but, they don’t realize because they did it and were able to do it that what they did was HARD and beyond the ability of most people to do.

Everyone can probably climb Everest if they really wanted to and made it their life’s mission.  Few ever will. 
I personally couldn’t subsist on this plate of food 5 times a day without help. If you can good for you and congrats. You have my respect. I just don’t understand your scorn.  Do you not think there’s something in life that is probably easy for me and hard for you that I could be a judgmental dick about?

E17D8623-328E-4B70-BCF3-FD25FDBDC5D8.jpeg

465092D8-803B-4D19-825E-35A0A8ABE068.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know right?  What’s funny is the people that talk about how they are having success and it’s so easy why can’t anyone do it are unwittingly proving their point talking about running marathons, or traveling every day and going to grocery stores to buy breakfast and dinner to make themselves or subsisting on small numbers of calories a day, or “3 times a year I drink 4 OZ of coke and let me tell you buddy that’s a treat/or that thing wrecks my body. 
Could anyone do all this stuff if they completely changed their life and made this first priority and put it in front of everything else?  Sure, with a couple exceptions probably. 
but, they don’t realize because they did it and were able to do it that what they did was HARD and beyond the ability of most people to do.

Everyone can probably climb Everest if they really wanted to and made it their life’s mission.  Few ever will. 
I personally couldn’t subsist on this plate of food 5 times a day without help. If you can good for you and congrats. You have my respect. I just don’t understand your scorn.  Do you not think there’s something in life that is probably easy for me and hard for you that I could be a judgmental dick about?

E17D8623-328E-4B70-BCF3-FD25FDBDC5D8.jpeg

465092D8-803B-4D19-825E-35A0A8ABE068.jpeg

That's not what anyone is saying at all.  There is post after post on here and you keep ignoring it.

I lost 40 pounds and never ran a marathon.  I simply did cardio 2-3 times per week and lifted 1-2 times with each taking maybe on hour.  Diet during the week was grilled chicken with veggies or rice, salads, and pasta with a cheat day or two on the weekend.  There is no reason the average person can't do that.

Yes, my wife ran a marathon.  It also took her 5 years to get there from when she started.  (It was a 5K in San Antonio where she got passed by a guy and his dog and also a woman pushing a stroller.)

Stop making it sound like these are all outliers are miracles.  I know dozens of people personally that did what I did.  

If you don't change anything, nothing changes.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I don't mean to be a dick here but you're enabling people's excuses.  If people listen to how impossible something is, they'll never even try.  Stop equating losing 40 pounds with climbing Mt Everest.  Good grief.

For people that are morbidly obese (which is a duck loss more than 40 pounds) it’s less than 5% chance that they can lose that weight and keep it off. 
I’m not e a king any kind of excuses I’m telling you you have your head crammed so far up your ass you can’t see the light of day with your attitude that “it’s no big deal and easy and anyone should be able to do it in these 3 easy steps”. 
If anyone wanted the numbers are the numbers and you are also conflating your experience with something completely different, but by all means continue to heap scorn upon fat people if it makes you happy. It is the literal default position of most on here. 
and by the way- everything I said that you responded with “that’s not what people are saying” was said in the last couple pages. 
Do whatever you want. I wasn’t talking to you nor am I interested at all in your opinion. I was talking to Gator and we were sharing an eye roll (I think).  Your point is perfectly clear. You did it so everyone should be able to do it and it was. I big deal. Just mix in a little cardio occasionally and eat a salad. Got it. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's not what anyone is saying at all.  There is post after post on here and you keep ignoring it.

I lost 40 pounds and never ran a marathon.  I simply did cardio 2-3 times per week and lifted 1-2 times with each taking maybe on hour.  Diet during the week was grilled chicken with veggies or rice, salads, and pasta with a cheat day or two on the weekend.  There is no reason the average person can't do that.

Yes, my wife ran a marathon.  It also took her 5 years to get there from when she started.  (It was a 5K in San Antonio where she got passed by a guy and his dog and also a woman pushing a stroller.)

Stop making it sound like these are all outliers are miracles.  I know dozens of people personally that did what I did.  

If you don't change anything, nothing changes.

Yep.  With all things, change happens when the pain of doing nothing outweighs the pain of change.  Until that time occurs, nothing will happen.

It's such an insidious addiction because we all have to eat.  There is no quitting "cold turkey" as there is with drugs/alcohol/gambling, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yep.  With all things, change happens when the pain of doing nothing outweighs the pain of change.  Until that time occurs, nothing will happen.
It's such an insidious addiction because we all have to eat.  There is no quitting "cold turkey" as there is with drugs/alcohol/gambling, etc.  

I get what both sides of this are saying. But I think AB is kind of glossing over the addiction part. That shit is very much real for a lot of folks. Sugar is a sumbitch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

For people that are morbidly obese (which is a duck loss more than 40 pounds) it’s less than 5% chance that they can lose that weight and keep it off. 
I’m not e a king any kind of excuses I’m telling you you have your head crammed so far up your ass you can’t see the light of day with your attitude that “it’s no big deal and easy and anyone should be able to do it in these 3 easy steps”. 
If anyone wanted the numbers are the numbers and you are also conflating your experience with something completely different, but by all means continue to heap scorn upon fat people if it makes you happy. It is the literal default position of most on here. 
and by the way- everything I said that you responded with “that’s not what people are saying” was said in the last couple pages. 
Do whatever you want. I wasn’t talking to you nor am I interested at all in your opinion. I was talking to Gator and we were sharing an eye roll (I think).  Your point is perfectly clear. You did it so everyone should be able to do it and it was. I big deal. Just mix in a little cardio occasionally and eat a salad. Got it. 

With all due respect, I've seen your posts on food related threads and your diet is/was not normal and would have led you to an early grave then throw in the smoking.  I'm glad you're taking control of it with a surgery but you are not a guide about how to lose weight.  You were morbidly obese because of your diet.

We had a guy in one of our run groups show up for half marathon training at easily 400 lbs.  Dude had no business being there but every week, his fat ass was out there.  He finished the actual race in around 4 hours.  That's incredibly slow but he finished it and it was great story.

He fell back off the wagon because he literally ate 9 Big Mac's the next day.  He said it was to celebrate.  He easily lost 100 lbs but quickly put it back on and faded back into obscurity.

You can't outrun a bad diet and this obesity questions begins and ends there.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I get what both sides of this are saying. But I think AB is kind of glossing over the addiction part. That shit is very much real for a lot of folks. Sugar is a sumbitch.

No glossing over it at all.  I keep hammering the diet.  I also understand that some people have an emotional attachment to food that's hard to kick.

People also don't need a crazy diet.  Just be sensible and cut out the snacking and late night meals.    

No glossing over it at all.  I keep hammering the diet.  I also understand that some people have an emotional attachment to food that's hard to kick.
People also don't need a crazy diet.  Just be sensible and cut out the snacking and late night meals.    

Well there is emotional attachment/stress eating, but there is also this, no?

https://alcoholstudies.rutgers.edu/sugar-addiction-more-serious-than-you-think/

14 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Well then don’t eat so damned much

signed,

current fatty with no excuse not to exercise more

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The 5% stat is misleading.  It's total population of morbidly obese who lost and then maintained a normal weight category for 9 years without medical intervention.

Something like 50% of morbidly obese people will get their BMI under 35.

It is, but it's not impossible

Of course not. I’m just saying that for some folks I suspect they have a physical dependency that is difficult to break. Just as you mentioned, you can’t stop eating and in the US, sugar is in everything. I never smoked but imagine if nicotine was in practically everything at the supermarket. Awfully tempting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

We’re insensitive or are you too overly sensitive?

You don’t have to exercise to lose weight. Does your asthma prevent you from a 30 minute walk per day?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Of course not. I’m just saying that for some folks I suspect they have a physical dependency that is difficult to break. Just as you mentioned, you can’t stop eating and in the US, sugar is in everything. I never smoked but imagine if nicotine was in practically everything at the supermarket. Awfully tempting.

Education is the first show to drop, and why the fucking food pyramid probably killed more people than all our wars combined.  That's the easy part.  Then comes discipline.  That's the hard part.  Food tracking apps help a lot

Seriously though your gut has its own “ brain” — neuro endocrine axis that acts independent of and along with your brain. Adipose tissue plays a very active role in this process. This is where meds like ozempic work. It’s not as simple as watching portions and exercising (I mean it is as simple as that, but “that” is incredibly difficult if you are carrying significant excess adipose tissue). And it’s not as simple as just losing it. Once you have excess fat reserves it’s going to be a permanent battle. The adipocytes (fat cells) lose their store of triglycerides but the cells themselves stick around and work on that neuroendocrine gut axis. This is the biggest tragedy of childhood obesity. 

You can definitely be successful at long term weight loss without medication or surgery but they are absolutely valid treatment options, just like BP meds diabetes meds and antidepressants 

• Hook 'Em 2