Fat People

Hanrahan

Just now, F250 said:

We had a flauta contest one time at Pancho's. One dude downed 36 flautas over a 90 minute period. 2nd place guy stopped at 30 and then went straight to the bathroom but then tried to rejoin and after some arguing we decided bowel movements were a disqualification. Later we had a keg of Shiner and they both ended up barfing due to bellies full of Pancho’s flautas and chugging Shiner.

Oh dear God......

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

We had a flauta contest one time at Pancho's. One dude downed 36 flautas over a 90 minute period. 2nd place guy stopped at 30 and then went straight to the bathroom but then tried to rejoin and after some arguing we decided bowel movements were a disqualification. Later we had a keg of Shiner and they both ended up barfing due to bellies full of Pancho’s flautas and chugging Shiner.

Now that we're older, wiser, and more sophisticated, we make ourselves miserable at higher end places like Fogo De Chao like goddamn gentlemen.....then sit in the parking lot with our pants unbuttoned, trying not to black out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Or the vegan cross fitt gym rats

6JkC.gif

Ex-wife is vegan and I tried it for awhile and then vegetarian and eventually pescatarian. Well, I love steaks so I do pescatarian M-F and consume meat on the weekends. Never did cross fit but have been into strength training for years. Struggled to hit protein requirements with vegetarian and found a good balance with pescatarian + dairy/eggs.

During the quarantine I went down pretty deep into the Bro Science out of boredom. Wasn't shit to do except workout and meticulously tinker with nutrition and supplements.

Anyways, yeah I follow an odd nutrition plan but knowing it's odd I don't promote it. People that do their weird shit should keep it to themselves rather than promote it like it's a religion.

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Now that we're older, wiser, and more sophisticated, we make ourselves miserable at higher end places like Fogo De Chao like goddamn gentlemen.....then sit in the parking lot with our pants unbuttoned, trying not to black out.

Passing out is half the fun...pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I got invited there last week by some friends. My reply was "No meat sweats for me. Thanks but no thanks." Friend's wife asked what was the meat sweats and I pretty much described it as the adult version of Pancho’s.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

I got invited there last week by some friends. My reply was "No meat sweats for me. Thanks but no thanks." Friend's wife asked what was the meat sweats and I pretty much described it as the adult version of Pancho’s.

The salad bar is legit.  I think it was $35/head for JUST the salad.  It's amazing and massive and worth the trip by itself. 

Fogo de awesome

• Hook 'Em 2

I try not to indulge much (KISS—Keep it Simple Stupid)….but…the Pitmaster Cuban Sandwich! 

“House Cured & House Smoked Ham thinly sliced, Smoked Pork Shoulder, Lance’s Spicy Mustard Sauce, Swiss Cheese, & Pickles. Griddle Pressed.”

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/#home-section

Something like this is a once a week type deal/ eat one half for lunch and other for dinner. But that’s how I’ve maintained my weight my whole life even as I’ve gotten older and metabolism slows down. Mainly salads and yogurt and fruit and cheese and crackers for me with the occasional steak or chicken. It’s not so bad if it means I can indulge. I’m used to my routine. 

39E5F5EE-2A0C-47F9-845E-15B55872A6CB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The salad bar is legit.  I think it was $35/head for JUST the salad.  It's amazing and massive and worth the trip by itself.

My dad tried to tell me when I was in my 20s that the salad bar at Fogo was the bomb, and I thought, yeah right, I'm going to waste my money and my stomach capacity at a Brazilian steakhouse on salet.  I gave it a shot one one night when he was in town and realized that my old man occasionally still knew what the hell he was talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My dad tried to tell me when I was in my 20s that the salad bar at Fogo was the bomb, and I thought, yeah right, I'm going to waste my money and my stomach capacity at a Brazilian steakhouse on salet.  I gave it a shot one one night when he was in town and realized that my old man occasionally still knew what the hell he was talking about. 

8f82a3a705d1f09a0888a0e2bb426a88.gif

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, MoJames said:

The way I look at it is in our current system it is from a caloric intake standpoint the easiest time to ever be alive. The ratio of calorie to dollar is the best it has ever been. Now that we have an excess amount of calories at our disposal, we see the result. I take personal responsibility with my kids and family to keep us in a healthy situation from a weight standpoint.

I realize there are plenty of factors in the equation. The one I can control very very easily is how much calories I take in and how many I expend. Both  myself and my wife work. We have no family to help us where we live. We are responsible enough to not go get fast food every day because it is easy. Many people don't. I have a hard time believing it is the governments job to keep us from becoming overweight.

Imagine going back 200 years and telling people we were arguing that the stores and government should keep people from over eating.

The first sentence is part of why it has become a problem.  The human body's programming is to pack on weight, select for calorically dense foods, and resist losing weight.  As we have manipulated food to be more addictive, more accessible, cheap, our body also desires nutrition which we are not getting in those cheap foods likely causing us to want to eat more to obtain those nutrients.   

It is wonderful that you have been able to have a healthy relationship with food and instill that in your family.   In the past, obesity was confined to a minority of the population as the food, accessibility, and structure was different.   There were no vending machines, soda fountains were a novelty shop, and sugary drinks were far and few between.   A person with a sugar addiction is bombarded by sugar ads and access.   (Smoking, alcohol, and cocaine have to be easier to recover from, because the access alone to sugar.) A modern series of families put into the past would lose weight and the inverse would gain weight.   This is a societal problem.    

This is a government problem because it impacts our society, our readiness for national defense, our health, and our medical expenses, and our intellect/mental health.  That is a problem.   And the government helped create this problem when it pushed out its recommendations.    

It is a problem that people are trying on their own to conquer, and not having much success doing so.  They are spending big money on diets, and while you think he big girl is blissfully unaware that women shouldn't weight 250 lbs, she is keenly aware of her situation and how it impacts her socially.  So she puts on a brave face, and pretends she is curvy and beautiful, but I imagine she would trade that admiration from some of her fellow women for a 115 lb frame before you could wave that magic wand.   

This idea that the shit food pusher and those manipulating products bear little to no responsibility is how we got here in the first fucking place.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I try not to indulge much (KISS—Keep it Simple Stupid)….but…the Pitmaster Cuban Sandwich! 

“House Cured & House Smoked Ham thinly sliced, Smoked Pork Shoulder, Lance’s Spicy Mustard Sauce, Swiss Cheese, & Pickles. Griddle Pressed.”

Something like this is a once a week type deal/ eat one half for lunch and other for dinner. But that’s how I’ve maintained my weight my whole life even as I’ve gotten older and metabolism slows down. Mainly salads and yogurt and fruit and cheese and crackers for me with the occasional steak or chicken. It’s not so bad if it means I can indulge. I’m used to my routine. 

would smash.   I fell in love with cubanos on our frequent visits to Miami (GF is from there).  They're fucking fabulous.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The first sentence is part of why it has become a problem.  The human body's programming is to provide negative feedback when alcohol is removed from the diet pack on weight, select for calorically dense foods, and resist losing weight.  As we have manipulated alcohol food to be more addictive, more accessible, cheap, our body also desires stimulation of the GABA receptor nutrition which we are not getting in non-alcoholic beverages those cheap foods likely causing us to want to eat more to obtain those nutrients.   

This is a government problem because it impacts our society, our readiness for national defense, our health, and our medical expenses, and our intellect/mental health.  That is a problem.   And the government helped create this problem when it decided to legalize alcohol pushed out its recommendations.    

It is a problem that people are trying on their own to conquer, and not having much success doing so.  They are spending big money on rehab diets, and while you think the drunk girl is blissfully unaware that women shouldn't drink a handle of vodka a night weigh 250 lbs, she is keenly aware of her situation and how it impacts her socially.  So she puts on a brave face, and pretends she is without addiction curvy and beautiful, but I imagine she would trade that admiration from some of her fellow women for a sober year a 115 lb frame before you could wave that magic wand.   

This idea that the alcohol shit food pusher and those manipulating products bear little to no responsibility is how we got here in the first fucking place.   

So based on this argument we should also go back to prohibition?

Edited by MoJames
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

If I am not mistaken, and I'm not, that is a can of Pint House Pizza Electric Jellyfish in the back there.

I would pound a couple of pints of that stuff after rock climbing a couple time a week in the before times.

After I got vaccinated, I spied a 4 pack at HEB and got it thinking it would be like Nirvana after not having had it for over a year.  I tried to like the can version but it was meh, especially considering how expensive it was.

Undaunted, I tries a couple of pints from the tap a few weeks ago and it was still meh.  Not sure what happened, but either they changed the formula or the vaccine has lessened my liking for all non Bill Gates associated products. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Fogo de awesome

I've had it and agree. One of the other reasons I opted out was the wine. As others have mentioned regarding the social aspect is people like to socialize over food and drinks. I have no issues passing on the meat but I would have ended up downing some wine on a Tuesday night and prefer to keep that set aside for later.

As Nicole said, I have my routine.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

I've had it and agree. One of the other reasons I opted out was the wine. As others have mentioned regarding the social aspect is people like to socialize over food and drinks. I have no issues passing on the meat but I would have ended up downing some wine on a Tuesday night and prefer to keep that set aside for later.

As Nicole said, I have my routine.

More people with situational awareness like this would make the world a better place

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

QFT

Ironworks used to have an all-you-can-eat beef rib special during random weekday lunches.  It was surreal to wake up at night after barely making it home and passing out.

Re: Panchos, their sopapillas still hold a warm, honey filled space in my 10 year old heart.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Re: Panchos, their sopapillas still hold a warm, honey filled space in my 10 year old heart.

I have a very large uncle who still goes goes to the Panchos in Mesquite/East Dallas area. I learned they serve chicken tenders now and he wraps a sopapilla with it and it is his version of chicken and waffles. He is more like my dad but he has been killing himself for about 2 decades. I hate it and he doesn't have a sit on your ass office job, he is a master electrician for high rise construction always at job sites but never seems to have to have lost any weight. Looking in old family photo albums he has always been the bigger one in the family so could be our shitty genes.

Also came to say I got fatter during the last year and working on losing it. I gained weight around 26 and lost 65lbs doing p90x in about 6 months, didn't eat much and  drank a shit ton of alcohol. Got to find a new way to lose this shit now. I am at 260 now and notice it way more than before and way more out of shape. I have started playing tennis a few times a week but feel it in my knees for days

Edited by Zepol87
meant to quote Mach1 but I am an idiot
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

The other half is waking up with your pants down to your ankles and your ass hurts, amiright?  Right?! 

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Fogo de awesome

Agreed.  

20 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Also came to say I got fatter during the last year and working on losing it. I gained weight around 26 and lost 65lbs doing p90x in about 6 months, didn't eat much and  drank a shit ton of alcohol. Got to find a new way to lose this shit now. I am at 260 now and notice it way more than before and way more out of shape. I have started playing tennis a few times a week but feel it in my knees for days

MIx in this (tailor it to what you can do at first, then work your way up) with some walking/hiking and some low impact treadmill work.  Cutting way back on carbs and calories for a few months and you'll see progress.  Meant to post in the body transformation thread but never got around to it.  Did this for most of the lockdown and lost 20 lbs, but I figure I probably gained 5-10 lbs of muscle, so it was, indeed, transforming.  (I still drank during that time, but tried to keep it within reason).

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

I'd kill a lot of mofos for that plate. 

Different strokes for different folk. Everyone has a different perspective and needs. That's a fuck-ton of calories and you better be in need of a lot of calories. The problem is our bodies are hard wired to feel satiated eating that many calories. Satiation leads to inactivity and . . . the calories do not get burned - they get stored.

There were periods where I needed that many calories in a meal . . . and the food is palatable and rather soothing. Pancho's glob hugs the gullet like thick soup with hints of tastes from Texan and Mexican Cuisine. No objection here.

If you were referring to the best thing about Pancho's - the plastic/aluminum plate combo - I am #teamcomboplate #panchos #texas VERSUS #panchos #panchosflags #panchosplategross #yankeetexans  

Them pancho's flag people are dizzy. 

5 hours ago, F250 said:

American Flag America GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

I will say the flautas were badass dipped in cheese. I didn't give a shit for most anything else other than that.  I never ate 30 though, I did eat 30 tacos and a jumbo jack one time after a baseball game at jack in the box in high school.

I was fat in HS, skinny for a few years in college (185) until craft/home brews in college porked me up, and went nuts in law school (250). Got married at 207 (5’10”) and eventually got up to 225. Tried everything but keto finally got me down to 200 and then IF got me down to 185.

My “thermostat” finally hit at 185 and I am now a medium shirt. That’s freaking awesome. Being able to button up a medium shirt and not having it gap is great.

I may have cancer but being thin-ish is quite nice. My wife, of course, would like me at 175 and I cannot believe she stuck with me at 200+ (as shown on my FB memories) so I’m gonna try.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

I was fat in HS, skinny for a few years in college (185) until craft/home brews in college porked me up, and went nuts in law school (250). Got married at 207 (5’10”) and eventually got up to 225. Tried everything but keto finally got me down to 200 and then IF got me down to 185.

My “thermostat” finally hit at 185 and I am now a medium shirt. That’s freaking awesome. Being able to button up a medium shirt and not having it gap is great.

I may have cancer but being thin-ish is quite nice. My wife, of course, would like me at 175 and I cannot believe she stuck with me at 200+ (as shown on my FB memories) so I’m gonna try.

That is badass, I miss the days of a large shit but I am little taller and I think that actually fucked with my head a bit when I up in size. Oh XL it's all good I am 6'4 well now it is a 2x and looks like shit

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

With all due respect, tell the wife to fuck off. Respectfully, of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I did eat 30 tacos and a jumbo jack one time after a baseball game at jack in the box in high school.

Back in college we were high as shit one night and stopped by JitB. They were 2 for a dollar and I don't know what we said at the drive-thru but somehow confused total orders of two with total tacos. We ended up with 40 tacos.  Ate about a dozen and that was rough. 30 would have ruptured my stomach.

3 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Keto folks can be obnoxious, but doing a clean keto, not all bacon and cheese, is a remarkable tool to enable IF success. IF on its own it amazing if you can make it work with your schedule, but the appetite suppression of getting into ketosis is truly remarkable and makes doing IF pretty easy. I've experimented with some success too using exogenous ketones as appetite suppressants for IF.

Really it's all just understanding caloric deficit versus thinking "fat makes you fat" and finding something that works for you. Regarding fat shaming, I'm not for personally making anybody feel like they're a worthless piece of shit for being obese, but at the same time we've damn near normalized being so fat you need a scooter to grocery shop. I'm pro body positivity that keeps girls from thinking they need to be bulimic to fit an image, but there's a balance somewhere short of where we are finding ourselves now where legitimately obese chicks want to wear dental floss bikinis and be praised for their bravery. Also, fuck Big Corn. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I truly believe believe IF is the only reason I'm not super fucking overweight. Coffee until noon and first meal at 3 dinner at 8 has worked even on the the worst meals.

I hate going to the office but one thing I have have started is walk to lunch to deep ellum. Not a great walk but a mile is more than I was doing a year ago. That is when it hit me holy shit a mile is nothing to walk to lunch and actually pretty good when walking in Dallas compared to what most people have to deal with 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/07/massive-dna-study-finds-rare-gene-variants-protect-against-obesity

Spoiler

For some people, no amount of exercise and dieting keeps the kilograms off. For others, leanness comes naturally. Now, scientists might know one reason why. In one of the most comprehensive studies of the genetics of obesity to date, a research team has identified rare gene variants that protect lucky carriers from putting on weight.

The work is “a tour de force of genetics,” says Sadaf Farooqi, an obesity researcher at the University of Cambridge who was not involved with the study. Geneticists generally look for mutations that cause disease, but people can also carry subtly different versions of a gene that promote good health. Finding rare variants that offer protection against a disease is very hard because sequencing studies are usually small, Farooqi notes. Yet such variants can lead to new drug targets, she adds.

At least 2.8 million people die every year from being overweight or clinically obese. Obesity increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, some cancers, and even severe COVID-19.a

Diet and exercise can help people with obesity lose weight, but genetics also strongly influence whether a person develops the disease. Studies that focused on people with extreme obesity have identified common gene variants—like a “broken” copy of the MC4R gene, linked to appetite regulation—that make people more likely to be overweight. Other work has found thousands of genetic variants, each of which has a tiny impact on body weight; together, they can significantly increase the likelihood of obesity.

In the new study, researchers sequenced the genomes of more than 640,000 people from Mexico, the United States, and the United Kingdom, homing in on only the exome—the part of the genome that codes for proteins. That’s “a massive amount of work,” says Ruth Loos, a human geneticist at the University of Copenhagen not involved in the study. Just as a photo with thousands of pixels reveals tiny details of a scene, she says, the large number of study participants provided a “very high resolution to get to the rarest variants.”

Then, the researchers looked at mutations within genes that were associated with a lower or higher body mass index (BMI), the most generally accepted, if imperfect, measure of obesity. Of the 16 genes tied to BMI, five encoded cell surface proteins known as G-protein coupled receptors. Adding to the evidence they influence weight, scientists found that all five of these genes are expressed in the hypothalamus, a brain region that regulates hunger and metabolism.

Variants of one of these genes— GPR75—had the largest effect on BMI. Individuals carrying mutations that inactivated one copy of that geneweighed an average of 5.3 kilograms less and had half the odds of being obese compared with those with working versions, the researchers report today in Science.

To see how GPR75 affected weight gain, the researchers engineered mice to lack a working copy of the gene. When fed a high-fat diet, the rodents gained 44% less weight compared with control mice. The modified mice also had better control of blood sugar and were more sensitive to insulin.

Still, the GPR75 variants that inactivate the gene are rare: Only one in 3000 people seem to carry them. “It influences a very tiny group of the world,” says Giles Yeo, a geneticist at Cambridge who was not involved in the study. The fact that the lack of GPR75 has such clear, strong protective effect in the mice suggests it’s involved in metabolic pathways related to obesity, he says. “[That] tells us a lot of new biology that can influence everybody in the world.”

As such, GPR75 could be a potential drug target, the scientists say; there are two proven molecules that activate the GPR75 receptor, but drugs that switch it off could offer new medication options for patients struggling with obesity.

The work also shows that “it’s possible to generalize this approach to other traits and diseases,” such as type 2 diabetes and other metabolic disorders, says Luca Lotta, a genetic epidemiologist at Regeneron Genetics Center who led the study.

Still, for Loos, the real value of the research lies in the scale of the sequencing. “It confirms that to study complex diseases such as obesity, we need enormous sample sizes.” 

When someone needs to drop >30% of their weight, there are many paths to achieving that. You can try fad diets, specialized programs, or whatever. However the really basic idea is to stop the 4000+ calorie days. We've all seen the reality shows that someone at 500 lbs claims to eat the same as someone who weighs 175.

Youtube suggested to me a few videos with the actor Ethan Supplee. He is from My Name is Earl, Remember the Titans, American History X, etc. He's recently lost 100s of pounds. He is open in the videos that when was at his heaviest, he would routinely sneak off to fast food places and order multiple hamburgers. He would lie  to everyone about this behavior, including the fast food employee. Seems like people first need to be honest with themselves and their behavior. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Fogo de awesome

ABSR : "Who is bread and the salad bar for at the Brazilian Steak House?"

ABSR jr 1 and 2:  "SUCKERS!!!'

-- We actually eat very healthy and well (compared to most of America).  But on the rare instance when we go to a place like this I am not going to spend money and time on extraneous stuff.