Fat People

Hanrahan

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't understand why people get so upset about stuff like this. First, there are in fact a subset of large people who are in good health. It's not a large subset, but they exist. Second, this person is exercising, isn't that what we want? If it if inspires some obese people to commit to exercising more, that is a good thing. Third, even if this person could do more, doing anything physical is positive. Finally, worst case scenario. it's not necessary to shame large people to make a point. There is nothing to be gained by making people feel bad about themselves for whatever reason. Not everyone has to be thin and fit to have value. Ideally everyone would be healthier and fitter, and there are discussions that need to be had about public health and how we view nutrition and portion sizes etc., all of which can be had without insulting obese people all the time.

First of all, no one is “upset.”  They are pointing out that it’s a ridiculous looking photo and the premise is ridiculous.  The ad is saying “this person is obese, but she’s also a “next level” athlete.”  She’s not.  If you want to send a real world inspiring message to obese people, show them walking up hills, not doing an activity that looks cool but at her weight is almost certainly doing more harm than good.  I say this as a guy who’s had cervical spine surgery in my mid 40s and if anything have been underweight most my life. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Shit, just eat a PBJ if you don't have the time to cook.  It's not the healthiest, but better, cheaper and faster than McD's.  

You'd think that with inflation going through the roof, fast food employees making $15/hr, and $15+ burgers, that Americans on the average would start losing weight.  Fast food is just too damned expensive PERIOD. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

"Healthy fat". Like an avocado. I love avocado.

Reminded me of our office manager(owners daughter) who struggled with obesity since her early 20s.  She always ranted and raved about eating healthy foods and still no being able to lose weight. Well, you stupid fat fuck when you eat a laundry basket sized salad for lunch every day with 3 to 4 avocados and God only knows what else you might have a problem losing a few(dozen) pounds. 

28 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You'd think that with inflation going through the roof, fast food employees making $15/hr, and $15+ burgers, that Americans on the average would start losing weight.  Fast food is just too damned expensive PERIOD. 

Ordered chicken fajitas to go last night from Los Tios on my way home from work.  Was $38 plus tax.  Fed the four of us and enough left overs for three lunches for me (rice, beans, chicken and salsa mixed together).

Even that's cheaper or at least equivalent on a per meal basis than Whataburger.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think a lot of the push back regarding the school lunch thing is that for a lot of kids, they simply won’t eat school lunch if it doesn’t taste good.  “You need energy to learn” and “this is healthier” are completely meaningless concepts at a certain age.  So little bags of carrots rather than fries sounds great but if the carrots go in the trash and the kid goes hungry little was gained.   

Btw, I’m not saying I agree with the pushback.  I think part of the solution to getting kids to accept healthier school lunches is to model that behavior at home too.  Not 1 healthy meal at school and garbage for breakfast and dinner.

Edited by Lhorn

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

7 meals out of a pound of chicken fajitas + rice/beans is pretty good.

Probably ordered the food, drove to picked it up, waited and drove home faster than it would have taken to move one car length in the WB line 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is this more of East Coast/Midwest thing?

There is not one low income neighborhood in Houston that doesn't have a Fiesta, Food Town/Circle/Land/City, Seller Bros. or a small independent store(with a real meat counter) that I can think of. All of those are legit grocery stores. Dallas and SA are probably the same.

Point being, in today's urban areas, fat people aren't fat because of some subjective food desert. But because many of them eat dessert like it's the only food. They have access to healthy options. Many of them are not making healthy choices. Maybe because they don't know any better. Heck I don't always make the best choices and I absolutely know better.

Maybe there are some deserts in West Texas.

Growing up the closest grocery store was 7 miles. And if you wanted a chain store(MiniMax, Brookshires), it was another 10 miles.

There’s plenty of low income neighborhoods in Houston (and the rest of Texas) that are > 1 mile from a full service grocery store. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but if you don’t have a car in this very car-based city, which also happens to have a pretty hellish climate for half the year, getting to one and bringing groceries back becomes a pretty time consuming and strenuous process. And we’re talking about areas with higher rates of poor physical health and people that work shit jobs without schedule flexibility. Yeah, I get it, bootstraps and all, but that’s missing a lot of context.

I will say, in the year of our lord 2023, I think there’s an opportunity for government assistance programs to incorporate use expanding grocery delivery services to help get people in such areas better quality food.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The anti-beef movement is deluded, and that ridiculous chart is a good example of it in action. There are few better sources of dense quality nutrients than beef, but the movement to rid the planet of it based on faulty (or no) science has picked up a lot of steam.  The same morons actually believe that mass produced and highly processed meat alternatives are somehow better for you and the environment (they're not).  Agribusiness has done a number on these poor saps that we haven't seen since the tobacco industry's shenanigans.
Like many agendas that come from a well intentioned place of misapplied ideology, the end result is poor people suffer the most.   I'm sure everyone will get super healthy eating mass produced sludge, as that's the future we're staring down the barrel at.  If you think you have to be well off to eat healthy now, just give it another decade.

The irony of this post decrying hardline ideological dogma while claiming we’re going to be eating sludge in a decade when the average American eats 50+ pounds of beef a year is something.

We, as a society, should eat less beef because it’s very environmentally taxing and resource/energy intensive. It’s not an efficient way to feed the world at scale. But yeah, you can do much worse nutrition wise than lean beef.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There’s plenty of low income neighborhoods in Houston (and the rest of Texas) that are > 1 mile from a full service grocery store. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but if you don’t have a car in this very car-based city, which also happens to have a pretty hellish climate for half the year, getting to one and bringing groceries back becomes a pretty time consuming and strenuous process. And we’re talking about areas with higher rates of poor physical health and people that work shit jobs without schedule flexibility. Yeah, I get it, bootstraps and all, but that’s missing a lot of context.

I will say, in the year of our lord 2023, I think there’s an opportunity for government assistance programs to incorporate use expanding grocery delivery services to help get people in such areas better quality food.

I understand that some live in food deserts but is there any proof that is why their family has a poor diet? Or is it just a theory? The nearby convenience store would sell fresher food if that is what the public actually bought. Convenience stores are not anti capitalism.

You can walk into any grocery store and see that many people make bad diet choices when healthy options, often cheaper, are 10 feet away. (And I’ve done this as well.) We all judge what others buy at the store. And I’ve seen shoppers that appear to restrict themselves to chips, “bread”, soda, cereal and processed lunch meat aisles or sections.

I understand that some live in food deserts but is there any proof that is why their family has a poor diet? Or is it just a theory? The nearby convenience store would sell fresher food if that is what the public actually bought. Convenience stores are not anti capitalism.
You can walk into any grocery store and see that many people make bad diet choices when healthy options, often cheaper, are 10 feet away. (And I’ve done this as well.) We all judge what others buy at the store. And I’ve seen shoppers that appear to restrict themselves to chips, “bread”, soda, cereal and processed lunch meat aisles or sections.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I think we can look at health outcomes in different neighborhoods/income levels and reasonably infer that access is an issue. Is it the only issue? No, that’s off base as dismissing it.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I just read Amazon is adding fees for grocery delivery under $150. That’s just further limiting access to food. People who can’t easily leave their homes, people without transportation, etc. had the option of Amazon Fresh to get groceries delivered for free ($35 min) with their Prime membership. 

Now? $150 is like 2 dozen eggs 

20 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The cost of the BIG MAC is....

jimmy-mcmillan-too-damn-high.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

There used to be almost no fats.  And certainly not the gargantuans you see these days.  

Something has changed.  And it certainly isn’t food deserts.  Healthy food isn’t less accessible than it was 50 years ago.  And we have access to more nutrition information.  People are making poor choices.  They eat and drink too much and move too little.  

Edited by Jock Ewing

1 hour ago, Jock Ewing said:

There used to be almost no fats.  And certainly not the gargantuans you see these days.  

Something has changed.  And it certainly isn’t food deserts.  Healthy food isn’t less accessible than it was 50 years ago.  And we have access to more nutrition information.  People are making poor choices.  They eat and drink too much and move too little.  

What do you think caused such a vast number of people to all begin making different, worse choices?

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, Deej said:

It's the moving too little. I eat like shit and drink, but I walk about 10 miles a day. I hate sitting still. I'm 6'2 and 185 pounds, and could probably stand to drop 10 pounds. 

6'3" 190 right now and I could stand to lose 10 pounds. I was probably close to 210 at my heaviest a few years ago. 175-185 is a good range for me. 

Guessing you're a slim dude i.e. not super muscular. 

Not muscular any more. Shattered my hand 7 years ago and can't hold much weight with it, so I'm out of the lifting game. Walk and ride a bike, now. I was 210 when I broke it and within three weeks was 168. Haha. Kept it off since. I go between 175 and 190, now. 

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

What do you think caused such a vast number of people to all begin making different, worse choices?

It wasn’t all of a sudden.  It’s been building for decades.  No idea on the cause.  Affluence maybe?  50 years ago people rarely ate out.  Now even the poorest among us eat out routinely.  I suspect people also snack more.  And drink a lot more calorie rich drinks.  

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, Deej said:

Not muscular any more. Shattered my hand 7 years ago and can't hold much weight with it, so I'm out of the lifting game. Walk and ride a bike, now. I was 210 when I broke it and within three weeks was 168. Haha. Kept it off since. I go between 175 and 190, now. 

168?

Somebody send this poor bastard a couple cheeseburgers stat!

On 1/28/2023 at 6:30 AM, gmr548 said:

my town has a mexican supermarket.  It's a nice store, fresh tortillas, nice produce, a good meat counter, etc.  I go there at least twice a month, usually for tortillas or their house-made salsas and guac. 

They have a shuttle van.  If you spend some amount (I don't know how much but I presume $50 or $75) they give you and your groceries a ride home. There is a bus stop nearby, and I see quite a few older latino women get off the bus and walk the half-block to the store. 

Edited by Gil Bang

On 1/28/2023 at 9:13 PM, Celery Man said:

Eating out, explosion in portion sizes, sugar added to everything, less time spent on meal prep, more fast food locations. I’m guessing the door dashes and Uber eats isn’t helping the issue.

Capitalism has optimized the food industry profits which requires people eating more than they need.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

my town has a mexican supermarket.  It's a nice store, fresh tortillas, nice produce, a good meat counter, etc.  I go there at least twice a month, usually for tortillas or their house-made salsas and guac. 

They have a shuttle van.  If you spend some amount (I don't know how much but I presume $50 or $75) they give you and your groceries a ride home. There is a bus stop nearby, and I see quite a few older latino women get off the bus and walk the half-block to the store. 

Mexican markets have great fresh produce and proteins.  Love them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, Deej said:

Can you do bodyweight stuff?  Pushups?  For pullups, they make straps that wrap around the wrist and the bar that take the pressure off the hands.  No excuses for the lower half.  Squats.  Sled.  Rucking.  

;)

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Can you do bodyweight stuff?  Pushups?  For pullups, they make straps that wrap around the wrist and the bar that take the pressure off the hands.  No excuses for the lower half.  Squats.  Sled.  Rucking.  

;)

I'd have to do one-handed pushups. Bones in the hand were pulverized. It wouldn't hold up. Gave up any activity that involves any sort of possible impact. No golf, no softbalI, etc. I get plenty of exercise, otherwise.

For your enjoyment, this was 8 days after it happened, before they operated on it. 

hand.jpg.a18f5ac050e104ea6ae54be769cdf0fe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'd have to do one-handed pushups. Bones in the hand were pulverized. It wouldn't hold up. Gave up any activity that involves any sort of possible impact. No golf, no softbalI, etc. I get plenty of exercise, otherwise.

For your enjoyment, this was 8 days after it happened, before they operated on it. 

image.png.db2b2d7e0d571fbcd22be1ff04d7395d.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Cowboy up and get you one of them fake, Jedi hands.  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9525ate6o24c1ymwk8gfn3

On 1/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, Deej said:

You lost 2 pounds a day in the 3 weeks following the accident?   You stopped buring calories at a higher rate and lost weight?

23 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

You lost 2 pounds a day in the 3 weeks following the accident?   You stopped buring calories at a higher rate and lost weight?

I couldn't feed myself. My metabolism burns hot and I barely had any caloric intake. I just took pain meds and slept a ton. I've always dropped weight very quickly by doing nothing but cutting my caloric intake. 

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

I couldn't feed myself. My metabolism burns hot and I barely had any caloric intake. I just took pain meds and slept a ton. I've always dropped weight very quickly by doing nothing but cutting my caloric intake. 

Don't know whether it was true in his case, but serious injuries can consume a huge amount of calories to facilitate healing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- I got the bariatric sleeve surgery on Tuesday. Removed 80% of my stomach/ current stomach is the size of a banana. Lived at 300 pounds more or less for 20 years with yo-yo’s between 240 and 320. Decided to have the surgery January 1 at 320 and was 292 when I got on the scale (livestock scale) at the clinic the day before the surgery (Monday)

Had to go on a 500 calorie a day protein shake diet for a week before surgery for prep. Had to stop smoking for 8 weeks before hand (and need to be through smoking for ever now or serious problems could result. 
Didn’t want to do this but had some health problems creep in and didn’t want to leave my wife a widow or my 3 kids as orphans. 
Hoping to hit 199 on the scale sometime around 7 or 8 months from now. 
6’1”

Good luck man.  That sounds very challenging.  

• Hook 'Em 1