Fat People

Hanrahan

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That reminds me of Charles Barkley and his comments about the robust San Antonio women over the years…His attempt at an apology in 2017 was hilarious:

"I want to apologize to the women of San Antonio," Barkley stated.

"What happened to prompt this?" asked host Ernie Johnson.

"Ernie, I had churros last night," Barkley said as Shaquille O'Neal walked off the stage in laughter. "I see what all the excitement is about!"

However, Barkley did not leave well enough alone. He continued to profess his love of the fried dough treat, saying, "Them damn things are good, Ernie. I see why they got all them big ol' women down in San Antonio. Them churros are the BOMB!"

Barkley repeated that he wanted to apologize to the women of San Antonio, but, obviously his execution left a lot to be desired.”

I’d normally not quote myself but I forgot to include…like a dumbass the clip. Shak walking off screen is where I lost it.

Churos!   

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d normally not quote myself but I forgot to include…like a dumbass the clip. Shan walking off screen is where I lost it.

Churos!   

Those deals where you have to pick 4 people to have dinner/drinks/play golf etc. with, Barkley makes every one of my lists.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Those deals where you have to pick 4 people to have dinner/drinks/play golf etc. with, Barkley makes every one of my lists.

I love him! Anyone who gets pulled over at a stop sign (running through it-no pun intended) and tells the cop who pulled him over he as speeding to get a blow job? 

Also as has been mentioned, a lot of problems society has including being fat, also has to include self responsibility. Something I see we as a country and as a world, don’t want to acknowledge. Personal responsibility has gone out the window. It’s more “who can I blame?” If this is TOO political I don’t know what to say about that. There is ability to learn information. What people do with that is on them at some points. If you are on FB, Tiktok, Instagram you have fucking access to the internet and information. Whether or not that is important to you is up to you. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mole said:

I lost about 60 pounds a few years ago and have kept it off. A few scattered thoughts:

1. People who want to lose weight but never seem to do so often tell me that losing weight was really easy for me and that it’s really complicated. It was the exact opposite. It was very simple but very difficult. Friends and family minimizing the work I did is a little annoying, but I understand the psychology. And they’re still fat and I’m not, so I don’t really care.

2. I still get lots of pushback against eating choices that I make. There’s a great deal of social pressure to make food choices that make you fat. It’s a small price to pay to feel so much better, but the social pressure is real and doesn’t make things easier.

3. I think one thing that helped me was that I didn’t tell anyone what I was doing. I get the idea of a support system, but my experience has been that our culture wants you fat. I didn’t get any pressure to eat poorly until people noticed that I wasn’t fat anymore.

4. And know what I’ve eaten every day for the past 3ish years. It’s simple, but not easy.  I feel so much better though.

5. I don’t think it’s so much a knowledge thing or a laziness thing or whatever. Some years back, everyone in education start using the word grit. It’s that. Losing weight is unpleasant and persisting in the unpleasantness is the price you have to pay.

That’s bad ass!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

My best drinking buddy I had when I was living in Dallas had some great -isms. One of the best being (dictated as basically a mission statement): "I just walk around and drink beer". Which was pretty much true as he didn't own a car (genuine alcoholic with a few DUIs) and he was in decent shape. 

His other great one was "I don't play poker with the ocean".

Did he go by Dirtbike in another life? 

13 minutes ago, Mole said:

I lost about 60 pounds a few years ago and have kept it off. A few scattered thoughts:

1. People who want to lose weight but never seem to do so often tell me that losing weight was really easy for me and that it’s really complicated. It was the exact opposite. It was very simple but very difficult. Friends and family minimizing the work I did is a little annoying, but I understand the psychology. And they’re still fat and I’m not, so I don’t really care.

2. I still get lots of pushback against eating choices that I make. There’s a great deal of social pressure to make food choices that make you fat. It’s a small price to pay to feel so much better, but the social pressure is real and doesn’t make things easier.

3. I think one thing that helped me was that I didn’t tell anyone what I was doing. I get the idea of a support system, but my experience has been that our culture wants you fat. I didn’t get any pressure to eat poorly until people noticed that I wasn’t fat anymore.

4. And know what I’ve eaten every day for the past 3ish years. It’s simple, but not easy.  I feel so much better though.

5. I don’t think it’s so much a knowledge thing or a laziness thing or whatever. Some years back, everyone in education start using the word grit. It’s that. Losing weight is unpleasant and persisting in the unpleasantness is the price you have to pay.

What is the culture you are referencing? "Fat" culture? They don't want to see one of their own get skinny and so there is negative reinforcement to eat bad because misery loves company? Educator culture? Mexican-American culture? I don't know if you are hispanic but you have an avatar and the name mole, which is probably not healthy and maybe informs your identity?

59 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This is why I say don’t fat shame people, but absolutely shame the bad parents letting freaking toddlers and prepubescent children get fat. It’s sad and it’s not the children’s fault; it’s 100% the parents. Just like any other unhealthy and potentially toxic substance, parents should be at risk if they have obese children. You wouldn’t put up with parents letting their kids get drunk or smoke cigarettes, but we let these parents let their kids mainline Cheetos and Big Macs daily. This is another reason why Dr. Thunder and Taki’s shouldn’t be paid for by EBT/SNAP benefits, or they should be capped at a certain % or $ of overall food purchase.

Also I’m all for making it more expensive for fat people; insurance or airlines or whatever. We already do that with life insurance, if you are fat you pay a higher premium. If you smoke you pay more for insurance, etc., it’s the same thing.

I’ve long been for taking any processed food, sugary drinks, and other items completely off subsidization eligibility.   

Fruits, veggies, meats, staples….absolutely.   

strawberry flavored milk?  Fuck you

chips? Fuck you

3 liter Coke?   Get fucked 

Frozen chicky nuggies?  Get bent 

frozen pizza?  Get fucked.  

• Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

My best drinking buddy I had when I was living in Dallas had some great -isms. One of the best being (dictated as basically a mission statement): "I just walk around and drink beer". Which was pretty much true as he didn't own a car (genuine alcoholic with a few DUIs) and he was in decent shape. 

His other great one was "I don't play poker with the ocean".

I played poker with the ocean once and was lucky to come away with a push.  

And the eating healthy is really expensive/takes too long bit is something we really need to work on.   There are thousands of good meals you can make in 10-25 minutes that can feed 8-10 people for $2 meal/person at the very most, and hundreds that take less than 20 minutes to fix.  

I cook at home all the time, and my absolute goal is to keep our family meals in the $2-3/meal/person range. It sounds cheap as shit, but I make some fucking badass meals for my wife and I, with leftovers for us to take to work, and after all is said and done we’re out $15 for 5 or 6 servings.    

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 3

yep, same here. Taught both kids how to cook good meals and they tend to be the ones inviting their college friends over. They tell each one to bring one thing and rock and roll. 

Plus I invested in a crock pot for them. They know how to prep on Sundays for their week. Son's GF did not grow up like that and lets just say it shows post COVID. Lots of eating out which I never understood. You are locked in your house. Make a good meal. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Mole said:

I can see where it would be annoying for people to minimize your successes.  I think “it’s harder for me” is the way they justify to themselves that they have not been able to be successful at sustained weight loss.  

Can I ask you what were the things you did that made the difference?  And what were the lifestyle changes you made?

Having known people that have lost weight and kept it off and others that continually diet without success, it’s my observation that they are going about it in very different manners.

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hard times make hard men.  Hard men make good times.  Good times make weak men.  Weak men make hard times.

This is definitely the weak men make hard times phase.  That’s why there are bums and junkies living in tent cities from San Diego to Seattle.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What is the culture you are referencing? "Fat" culture? They don't want to see one of their own get skinny and so there is negative reinforcement to eat bad because misery loves company? Educator culture? Mexican-American culture? I don't know if you are hispanic but you have an avatar and the name mole, which is probably not healthy and maybe informs your identity?

I’m as white as can be; not a bit Mexican.

I’m sure there are environments that are supportive, but my experience is that the push to eat unhealthy foods is pretty universal. It’s not just serving these things — that’s fine — it’s the active resistance against avoiding that stuff, even quietly. I just eat the foods I need to eat and don’t make a fuss about it, but there’s still the pressure. It’s subtle, and it’s a burden I can bear, since I lost weight, but it doesn’t make losing weight easier.

It’s not something I noticed until I lost weight. I never noticed it before I gained the weight nor while I was fat. Once I wasn’t fat anymore, it was everywhere, and it’s hard to unsee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Eating unhealthy is easy and pushed on you at this point, eating healthy is also fairly easy but takes some planning and resolve and a little more time. Every place has free refills, cheap desserts, bread at every meal, over the top portions, etc. rather than trying to help people make better decisions. The only way it ever gets resolved is to make it more expensive/difficult to eat like shit and a cheaper deal to eat better.

I’ve spent most of my life on the bigger side although not necessarily a fatass, just more a fullback type than a WR or OL. I’ve always eaten fairly well, but one thing that made a difference for me was getting some medical issues resolved. After seeing a cardiologist and getting some things straight, I dropped 40 pounds pretty easily and have held it off with no issues. I need to get down another 20 or so, but just haven’t committed to giving up bread and a few other things.

I felt horrible and extremely self conscious when my weight hit it’s peak. I think most in that group feel the same way, but also feel stuck in their ways with too much uncertainty on how to change.

• Like 1

One of the issues we face is that every big problem like this is an opportunity to shit on people we perceive as stupider and weaker than us. And why should we do anything to improve when it feels so good to point at people and talk about how smart and strong we are in comparison.

I’m certainly guilty of falling into that mode. It is a character issue.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I’ve started journaling everything Ineat and it makes a difference with accountability. 
lots of people are pretty judgmental about this as there’s a lot that goes into this shit. 
Culture

Work (never weighed less than when I worked in kitchen and as a delivery guy or waiting and buzzing tables around 30 years old in between careers helping out in a family restaurant. I made almost no money then but was really healthy. Now that I work 10 hours behind a desk it’s way harder. Financial incentive to be physically lazy. 

convenience 

price

advertising

engineering food/taste

natural evolutionary biology that had us store up food to help in a society of scarcity working against a society of plenty

Meds that a lot of people are on that fuck up body weight. 
None of these are Excuses or saying it’s impossible. It’s merely shedding light. 

as far as people that hate fat people I’m not going to try to change your mind or make you cry for me or anything, but realize that I walk around in shame all day every day, and I have to wear my greatest failing as a human being for all the world to see- while most others don’t wear their vices for the entire world to see. It sucks. If you want to hate that’s fine, but I probably hate that more about myself than you ever could, and a bit of compassion or empathy is probably a more humane and appropriate human response. 
it’s a huge portion of society as has been pointed out. We’ve switched to the idea of addition being a demon- I think food addiction is very real and a psychological thing like many/most other substances. But, in some ways it’s harder because it’s legal, ubiquitous and you can abstain from other substances but you must eat, so the temptation is always there every time you turn in the TV, open the fridge or get in the car. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I can see where it would be annoying for people to minimize your successes.  I think “it’s harder for me” is the way they justify to themselves that they have not been able to be successful at sustained weight loss.  

Can I ask you what were the things you did that made the difference?  And what were the lifestyle changes you made?

Having known people that have lost weight and kept it off and others that continually diet without success, it’s my observation that they are going about it in very different manners.

1. I keep track of everything I eat. I don’t track or consider the calorie value of exercise. It’s just an excuse to eat more.

2. I treat it as simple math; if I keep my calories below a certain threshold, I’ll lose weight. Maybe it’s more complicated than that, but more complicated approaches are easier to quit. Simple and doable is good.

3. I learned to be ok with being hungry. It’s pretty primal to fear hunger, but it’s ok to be hungry. It makes sense to me that if you’re losing weight, you’ll probably be hungry. Also, the worst part of being hungry is getting hungry. Once you get used to it, it isn’t so bad.

4. I prioritize foods that I can eat a lot of without getting fat. A steamable bag of broccoli is 100 calories, costs $1, and takes 3 minutes to microwave. It’s also very filling and makes you feel good. An apple is also about 100 calories, is crunchy and sweet, costs like 50 cents and takes 10 seconds to wash. I could have probably lost weight just eating ice cream, but I would have been even hungrier all the time. Once you get used to a food, anything can taste ok.

5. I’m ok with a lack of variety. Once I find meals that work, I beat them into the ground. The less thinking and figuring I need to do, the more likely I am to stick with it. Simple beats fun for me.

6. A lot of the stuff that makes us fat — junk food, fast food, drinks, party foods — we barely even pay attention to while we’re eating. We don’t really taste it, just shove it in our mouths. If I’m going to spend my calorie budget on something calorie rich, I stop and only pay attention to eating it. No eating chips while watching the game, no scarfing down a candy bar while I drive. If I’m paying for it in calories, I’m going to enjoy it.

7. la Croix Lemoncello tastes better than Coke/Dr. Pepper/etc.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

The Carrot or the Stick. 

Capitalism can solve this. And the data is there for what works on an individualized setting. Stellar health care is becoming rare to non-existent for most thanks to a negative curse of efficiency in this market. 

I will be interested to see how Noom fares in this market. Wish there were more serious mental health professionals in this practice area. Noom appears to be filling a gap. I hope it is successful in this area. Wisdom is a good thing and hope they are dealing straight wisdom.

14 hours ago, F250 said:

Fat shaming doesn't work and anyone that is an advocate of it has rocks instead of grey matter in their head. It will result in the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Don't do it if you are genuinely trying to help someone. If you are doing it because you are an asshole than stop being an asshole.

Calm down fatty

Listing out 5 steps/tips to losing weight really does nothing. There are many paths to being what was previously thought of as normal weight. I'm not even talking about getting in shape or even fit but rather below what medicine calls overweight. 

The truth is that people don't want to even remotely change their eating behavior. Eating is about pleasure. They cannot fathom sitting through a meal without it being overloaded with carbs and/or too many calories. It makes them feel good and we all want to feel good.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mole said:

1. I keep track of everything I eat. I don’t track or consider the calorie value of exercise. It’s just an excuse to eat more.

This is so absurdly important and overlooked by virtually everyone.  It is simple math.  You are either at a caloric surplus or deficit.  Nor are all calories the same.  It isn't the old "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks" saying.

Certain foods have a very high glycemic index.  Certain foods are very high in sugars, natural or processed.  Many, many people still think muffins, granola bars, and bagels are good for them.  

When we say "shaming", we're not talking about getting in someone's face.  This isn't meant to convey you go on the offensive, but rather the idea that being fat is "ok" needs to stop.  It's not ok.  I liken it with smoking.  It needs to take on the cultural stigma cigarettes did.  Nobody said smokers were bad people, but rather people making bad choices.  This is no different.  

Good on you for walking the path.  Even better you did it for yourself.  That's discipline.  The people that need an external push haven't figured out the difference between motivation and discipline.   

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The truth is that people don't want to even remotely change their smoking behavior. Smoking is about pleasure. They cannot fathom sitting through a meal and then lighting up  after and taking a long drag.   It makes them feel good and we all want to feel good.

How is this any different?

11 hours ago, Mole said:

11 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What is the culture you are referencing? ...

Mole is spot on.  I'm 52 years old and I've been 150 plus or minus 5 pounds since I was a teenager.  It's not an accident of genetics.  I make conscious decisions about what I eat/drink.  I ate a strict vegan diet for about 20 years (I've since mellowed out for reasons).  You really can't grok what Mole is saying until you experience it first hand.  People are tribal.  Choosing to eat differently from a herd means you aren't part of that herd.  It offends people.  You think differently from them.  Words don't need to be exchanged.  The simple act of thinking differently speaks for itself.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, BabaYaga said:

How is this any different?

I didn't bring up smoking. But I would agree that most smokers don't really want to give it up. Even if they wished they had never taken it up in the first place, that doesn't mean that they want to remove the feeling of that drag of the cigarette.

Obese people definitely want to be closer to normal weight but not at the expense of taking away all of that delicious food that gives them pleasure. We've all been that person or know the person that takes on a diet only to focus in on their cheat meals or how to cook meals that taste exactly like the unhealthy meals. That's going in with the worst attitude. How about just concentrate on eating healthy and not so much on taste. Sacrifice can really reset your needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was reading a story a couple months ago about an individual and his weight loss journey.  I don’t remember the specifics but when he started he was in the 5’9” - 5’10 range and around 350lbs.  

Like many of you suggested, he documented everything he consumed.  But, taking it one step further, he also journaled his friends and families reactions so he could use it as motivation along the way.  

What he found was interesting and ultimately became the greater “story” within his story.  Almost all of the feedback he received the first 100-120 lbs of his weight loss were what you expected: constant encouragement, praisings of his physical appearances, offers from people to join him on his morning walks, near constant pats on the back, etc.  

However, as he continued to lose the weight he ultimately fell below the “normal” weight of that of his social group and he began noticing the responses from his friends changed drastically.  

Suddenly the comments of “you look great, keep up the good work!” gave way to “don’t you feel like you’ve earned a break?” and near constant pushing of people urging him to sneak in a dessert or two, encouraging to incorporate more cheat days and meals into his diet, etc.  

The last 20lbs of his journal basically became people non-stop trying to talk him out of everything they had praised him for the first year+        

The piece went much more in depth on the matter but the crux of it was everyone was encouraging of his actions until it ultimately turned the mirror on them.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Typically when you're trying to address addictive behavior, you do so with the goal of ending it completely. Alcoholics don't become regular drinkers (and don't "win" against alcohol), they stop drinking altogether. You quit smoking (entirely). Presumably a reformed gambling addict doesn't hit the slots three times a day. Maybe there are some parallels with sex addiction but either way - a thing that makes a food addiction different than a drug/drink/nicotine addiction is that you can't quit.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

... it ultimately turned the mirror on them.  

I mentioned in my previous post that the simple act itself offends people.  On an intellectual level this is true.  Knowledge of the difference in choice/thought colors social interaction with peers/family outside of mealtimes, but Chet's (quoted) phrasing is also spot on.  People get really defensive when confronted (directly - during a meal) with a challenge to their own choices/thoughts even if it's at a subconscious level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Everyone tells you you are going to fail - the fat ones secretly want you to fail so they don't look bad in comparison.   Everyone tells you what you are doing is crazy (and what i was doing was hard and a little crazy - i can detail it if anyone cares).    I stopped telling people what i was doing to lose weight, my mother was convinced i was going to die.   I straight up started lying about what i was doing, i started telling people i was just eating healthy and exercising more.    And yes the first 50-70lbs everyone is one board (those who didn't know about the fasting) but as i got closer to 200lbs , people who before weren't bothered by me skipping meals started saying things like, "you are already pretty thin and healthy, you can come out with us drinking and pizza this one time".    

There is a huge social aspect to eating, for me that was the hardest part, i was still cooking my family meals, but i wasn't eating them.    There is a lot of brain power thinking about "what are we going to eat for lunch", "what are we doing for dinner"  that takes up a big part of most peoples days.     It is hard to get away from mentally.

It is hard, it isn't fun.   But i ate literally whatever i wanted for 15 years, so now, i have to pay for it.   I have accepted it, I cant eat like a normal person, its okay, after 3 years it doesn't even phase me anymore.   

I ran the Houston marathon in Jan 2003 at 194lbs - by Dec 2007 i was over 320lbs - there are reasons, but its all bullshit - i just liked overeating.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Also America has a tradition of parents telling kids “eat the food on your plate until there is nothing left”.

One of the most memorable smacks I received from my old man was when I wasn't that hungry or maybe didn't like the evening's bill of fare and my ma said "you should eat all the food on your plate as you are fortunate to have food to eat.  There are starving kids in Africa that would love to have that food to eat."  

I retorted, "but, ma, by the time this food got to Africa it would be rancid and they wouldn't want to eat it!"

Enter giant old man: pow, ping, pow....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't bring up smoking. But I would agree that most smokers don't really want to give it up. Even if they wished they had never taken it up in the first place, that doesn't mean that they want to remove the feeling of that drag of the cigarette.

Obese people definitely want to be closer to normal weight but not at the expense of taking away all of that delicious food that gives them pleasure. We've all been that person or know the person that takes on a diet only to focus in on their cheat meals or how to cook meals that taste exactly like the unhealthy meals. That's going in with the worst attitude. How about just concentrate on eating healthy and not so much on taste. Sacrifice can really reset your needs.

What moved the needle in my opinion was public pressure.  There was a stigma on smoking.  There was messaging that it's no longer ok to do this.  The health aspect is always overshadowed.  I thought this pandemic was finally going to be the catalyst for public outreach on diet and fitness, and the two most significant comorbidity factors that people could control were/are obesity and vitamin D deficiencies (which is why we saw so many minority causalities, especially in the northern latitudes).

Best advice I ever heard from a trainer was (and this is for the really big people) is to start with 3 things:

• Drink ONLY water.  As much as you can
  • You can eat as much as you want, but it has to be vegetables only.  If you want potatoes, they have to be first cooked, then allowed to cool first (google the "potato hack)
  • Move for an hour a day

That's it.  Simple, not easy.  

29 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Suddenly the comments of “you look great, keep up the good work!” gave way to “don’t you feel like you’ve earned a break?” and near constant pushing of people urging him to sneak in a dessert or two, encouraging to incorporate more cheat days and meals into his diet, etc.  

The last 20lbs of his journal basically became people non-stop trying to talk him out of everything they had praised him for the first year+        

The piece went much more in depth on the matter but the crux of it was everyone was encouraging of his actions until it ultimately turned the mirror on them.  

Crabs in a bucket......

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

One of the issues we face is that every big problem like this is an opportunity to shit on people we perceive as stupider and weaker than us. And why should we do anything to improve when it feels so good to point at people and talk about how smart and strong we are in comparison.

I’m certainly guilty of falling into that mode. It is a character issue.

Tl;dr = we are assboles

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Tl;dr = we are assboles

also shitting on people rather than trying to be better is expensive as fuck

everyone's responsible for their own behavior. when the behavior of a giant collection of people shifts markedly over a couple of decades, there are things that are happening to cause that shift. things that we could identify and address. but not if we primarily see the misfortune of others as a vehicle to convince ourselves that we are doing great. lowering tide sinks all boats

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

things that we could identify and address

Like obliterating that stupid "health pyramid" is a good start.  That's on a state and federal level.  Illustrating how many things break down into simple sugars:  breads, pastas, carrots, starches, granola, etc.  

On a market level, that's much more difficult as people and businesses capitalized on our basic hard-wiring to crave sugars and salts.  Sugars are very rare outside of fruits in nature.  Our biological drive for calories is an easy target.  It's also one of the most addictive "drugs" known to man.  That's not an excuse for people to overeat, but rather a simplistic explanation for why it's so pleasurable.  

• Hook 'Em 2