2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

18 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

I wonder if Mims might go somewhere like tOSU. I imagine they might be in the market for another receiver to play opposite of JSN next year.

He fits well anywhere. He can play slot or outside.

OU will miss him dearly if/when he leave.

43 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I guess we'll find out why we ignored a kid that talented. Either we have better options in the bag or we're as dumb as ever.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but i can see where guys at small schools could be really productive and then never crack the starting lineup at a place like Texas if they transferred. Devin Richardson is an example of that last year. They aren't just chasing productIon, they are looking for a specific profile. That means we will pass on some guys that would seem like obvious takes. The UNLV linebacker is the headscratcher so far this offseason with his HS coach on staff here, but they are showing at the very least that they believe what they are doing and sticking to their guns. Things could have turned out much differently had we not had the fortunate coaching changes, but they rolled the dice and won. I just hope we dont tempt fate too many times.

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but i can see where guys at small schools could be really productive and then never crack the starting lineup at a place like Texas if they transferred. Devin Richardson is an example of that last year. They aren't just chasing productIon, they are looking for a specific profile. That means we will pass on some guys that would seem like obvious takes. The UNLV linebacker is the headscratcher so far this offseason with his HS coach on staff here, but they are showing at the very least that they believe what they are doing and sticking to their guns. Things could have turned out much differently had we not had the fortunate coaching changes, but they rolled the dice and won. I just hope we dont tempt fate too many times.

Unfortunately incompetent people tend to misattribute good fortune to their own skill and competence when nothing can be further from the truth.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Haha this is a good thing in my eyes, we didn’t offer because we are confident in getting someone better

This is the thinking that led me to think last year’s disinterest from Flood/Sark in adding any portal OL meant that the talent already on campus was just that good…

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

He would make all those places equidistant, by driving through Silsbee (and picking up Patrick Hudson).

Is this a throwback to ShaggyTexas?

Or even back to ShaggyBevo days?

I don’t believe that we were still with HornFans when our board went all “The Californians” and everyone had driving suggestions, but this reference has brought laughs and joy to my late night. I can go to sleep now. 😁😴

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To find some context for WR portal recruiting, I went back to the top 10 transfer options (per 247's WR transfer ratings) from last year and the date they entered the portal: 

1. Arik Gilbert - January 2nd
  2. Wen'Dale Robinson - January 11th
  3. Puka Nacua - March 7th
  4. Jameson Williams - April 28th 
  5. Charleston Rambo - January 5th
  6. Jake Smith - June 22nd
  7. Daylen Baldwin - June 1st
  8. Grant Calcaterra - August 18th
  9. Samori Toure - November 24th
  10. Mookie Cooper - December 23rd

So, at this time last year, only 3 of the top 10 had entered the portal. Let's be a little patient here.

Yup. Players entering the portal is just getting started. 

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To find some context for WR portal recruiting, I went back to the top 10 transfer options (per 247's WR transfer ratings) from last year and the date they entered the portal: 

So, at this time last year, only 3 of the top 10 had entered the portal. Let's be a little patient here.

Don't forget Worthy decommitted on April 15th before flipping to us on April 24th. Also Shadrach Banks entered the portal on April 26th. The Bru McCoy path is becoming more and more popular. 

14 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

3 of the top 5 ( Robinson, Williams, and Rambo) had absolute monster years for their new teams. And Nacua had a good year too. WR might be the easiest position to get out of the portal.

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Ketch warning, but worth noting.

Too small of a sample size to read much into, they just offered a WR from Wyoming. And Sark kept Dunn after he got the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, mvlonghorns said:

I wonder if Mims might go somewhere like tOSU. I imagine they might be in the market for another receiver to play opposite of JSN next year.

If the guy is worried about targets, tranferring to perhaps the most loaded WR room in the country would be a head scratcher.

12 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

I guess we'll find out why we ignored a kid that talented. Either we have better options in the bag or we're as dumb as ever.

This post sadly made me laugh. Of course you know the answer - we're as dumb as ever. Just default to it, lower your overall expectations, and enjoy the ride in Seven Loss Steve's busted-ass hoopty. 

12 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Haha this is a good thing in my eyes, we didn’t offer because we are confident in getting someone better

Serious question for you and anyone else with this line of thinking - what have you seen so far that merits giving Sarkisian and staff the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this? 

Texas may get some transfers right in this cycle, I hope so. At the same time, the staff didn't cover itself in glory in the first go-round at the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Sure seems like we've been a step behind in the portal other than Ewers/Watts. Even for offers like Neyor and the Albany guy, we've been late. Wish we had gone after that Jennings LB that KSU just got. 

Like others, I'm hopeful there's a plan for guys who aren't in the portal yet, which is certainly possible, but the lack of activity has been surprising. Given our staff ties, wouldn't be too surprised to see more from Bama once they finish up.

I know others will disagree but I personally will give the staff somewhat of a pass for last year's portal. They came in late, didn't fully know what was on the roster, and obviously had a ton on their plate as they built the staff and got ramped up. Obviously not a valid excuse if they screw up this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I know others will disagree but I personally will give the staff somewhat of a pass for last year's portal. They came in late, didn't fully know what was on the roster, and obviously had a ton on their plate as they built the staff and got ramped up. Obviously not a valid excuse if they screw up this year.

This is where I am re: last offseason portal moves. 

Plus I'd imagine walking in, calling everyone fucking crap and using the portal to recruit over them would have led to a lot of discontent/unhappiness and a pretty pissed off locker room from the program guys in year 1.  

Sometimes you roll with the first year punches (Aranda's 2-7 season and Mel Tucker's 2-5 season) before you go out and overhaul the roster with a bunch of transfers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They took upper class-men who couldn't get playing time at their previous school.  That is not going to work out well most of the time outside of qb.  If they do it again, they haven't learned anything.  The Ben Davis take is the most egregious because Sark saw him every day in practice.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sure seems like we've been a step behind in the portal other than Ewers/Watts. Even for offers like Neyor and the Albany guy, we've been late. Wish we had gone after that Jennings LB that KSU just got. 

Like others, I'm hopeful there's a plan for guys who aren't in the portal yet, which is certainly possible, but the lack of activity has been surprising. Given our staff ties, wouldn't be too surprised to see more from Bama once they finish up.

You do you, but just to keep facts straight - the staff got to see the entire roster in action in the spring and they had 6 months to work within the confines of the transfer portal to target who they liked. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)