2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They took upper class-men who couldn't get playing time at their previous school.  That is not going to work out well most of the time outside of qb.  If they do it again, they haven't learned anything.  The Ben Davis take is the most egregious because Sark saw him every day in practice.

As horrifying as it is to realize that Ben Davis was legitimately better than what we had on the roster at the time, as an upperclassman, even if he didn't work out you have no real long term loss of scholarship numbers on a guy that wasn't very good. The take made sense to me because as bad as Davis and Thornton both sucked, they still saw the field plenty last year. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You do you, but just to keep facts straight - the staff got to see the entire roster in action in the spring and they had 6 months to work within the confines of the transfer portal to target who they liked. 

Well are we opposed to tampering? Because if we are opposed to tampering, we are doing this with an arm tied behind our back. Stud portals know where they are going upon entering. 

2 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Well are we opposed to tampering? Because if we are opposed to tampering, we are doing this with an arm tied behind our back. Stud portals know where they are going upon entering. 

From reading between the lines on some of the high profile guys like Ewers or even some TBD names, I don't think we are opposed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Serious question for you and anyone else with this line of thinking - what have you seen so far that merits giving Sarkisian and staff the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this? 

Texas may get some transfers right in this cycle, I hope so. At the same time, the staff didn't cover itself in glory in the first go-round at the portal. 

Ewers and Watts has given them a bit more leeway in my eyes. The offense has something to sell as well, so I am hopeful on the offensive side of the ball. My stance on the defense and DC in particular has been well documented so I wont start that up again but at least they have the ability to sell playing time. Say what we will about the staffs ability to succeed here but there are good recruiters on the staff

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

what the fuck even is tampering? lol

A pro sports term of talking to potential free agents while they are still under contract with other teams. It isn't quite the same here because there are no contracts, but the NCAA doesn't really have any way to monitor these back channel conversations or have any punitive rules in place for enticing guys into the portal. It is pretty much the wild west.  

Edited by Vertigo

20 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

I don't think we're opposed which is partially why I think if the coaches don't know what they need until after spring ball, it's probably too late to make a big impact through the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

A pro sports term of talking to potential free agents while they are still under contract with other teams. It isn't quite the same here because there are no contracts, but the NCAA doesn't really have any way to monitor these back channel conversations or have any punitive rules in place for enticing guys into the portal. It is pretty much the wild west.  

my post was extreme sarcasm as in the staff doesn't believe in tampering.

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So, in theory, the “haves” essentially are given a farm system, correct? Assuming the NIL goes the way we want it to, and we become the gold standard, you let others take the recruiting risk and then snag them once they are developed. You essentially take who you absolutely want while recruiting, but no longer take any as a flyer. Use those extra roster spots to snag developed talent to fill any holes/weaknesses, and the NIL already in place is the magnet used for them to choose us. Staff analysts whose sole job it is to identify current talent on other rosters and then backchannel them here. Sounds good

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Well I for one shudder to think what our defensive might have been had we not gone out and got Ray Thornton and Ben Davis. 

The real sad part is that Thornton was actually a mainstay of the defense because we had nothing better..yikes

If I were the staff I'd be bringing in 2 edge transfers as the #1 top priority (now that Ewers is in)

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe this kid isn't the one, but Texas still needs LBs in the worst way.

Frustrating that we seemingly didn't go after that Jennings guy KSU just got. Young guy who was an elite recruit and a midseason Freshman All-American this year before injury. 

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Frustrating that we seemingly didn't go after that Jennings guy KSU just got. Young guy who was an elite recruit and a midseason Freshman All-American this year before injury. 

Maybe, but the fact he had to go all the way down to KSU means the injury is likely either really bad or he has some other red flag. The more concerning part is how many seemingly quality LBs have hit the portal and committed without UT really getting involved. I'd like to have @RGBIII's optimism that it means we have better guys lined up, but I'll have to see it to believe it with this staff. One good HS recruiting class with a shitload of tailwinds doesn't overcome the litany of mistakes Sark and Co. have already made in one year.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The more concerning part is how many seemingly quality LBs have hit the portal and committed without UT really getting involved.

Because any LB worth a damn isn't going in undecided. You don't hit the portal as a LB or OL without your next destination already picked out. Maybe there's 1 or 2 exceptions, but OL and LB are the two premium positions in the portal.

If we want a high quality LB, we will have to recruit one in the portal ourselves. Those guys don't fall in teams laps. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

You don't hit the portal as a LB or OL without your next destination already picked out. Maybe there's 1 or 2 exceptions, but OL and LB are the two premium positions in the portal.

If we want a high quality LB, we will have to recruit one in the portal ourselves. Those guys don't fall in teams laps. 

I mean we already saw the UNLV LB who didn't have a school picked out and there have been plenty of others. The stud Center Baylor got from Buffalo last year is another example. Picking out a school before hitting the portal is not position-specific, but yes I agree our best bet for any of these guys is having them already coming here before they hit the portal. Hopefully were working on that at positions of need and do a better job of it than last year.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hopefully were working on that at positions of need and do a better job of it than last year.

I think the biggest thing that hindered them last year was just timing. The staff wasn't in place until late mid-late January. It's already hard enough to find quality LB and OL as it is, but then you basically start off with 50% of the portal period already over by the time you even sit down in your new office.

Maybe they could have found a marginally better interior OL in the summer or added a body at LB or safety, but for the most part you are just left to shop in the bargin bin which is what we had to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU247 saying Caleb Williams is meeting with the coaches today and then expect him to enter the portal. 

Fuck OU and all, but I don't really get this. Is it the other QB? Does he think he's going lose his starting spot? Where does he go that will be as good a fit as OU? But okay, whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, THUJONE said:

Fuck OU and all, but I don't really get this. Is it the other QB? Does he think he's going lose his starting spot? Where does he go that will be as good a fit as OU? But okay, whatever.

I really get it. Why would any sane person want to spend any more time in Norman than he already has?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

So, in theory, the “haves” essentially are given a farm system, correct? Assuming the NIL goes the way we want it to, and we become the gold standard, you let others take the recruiting risk and then snag them once they are developed. You essentially take who you absolutely want while recruiting, but no longer take any as a flyer. Use those extra roster spots to snag developed talent to fill any holes/weaknesses, and the NIL already in place is the magnet used for them to choose us. Staff analysts whose sole job it is to identify current talent on other rosters and then backchannel them here. Sounds good

Bama is doing this now.  They have such a good track record of putting guys in the league that it's an easy sell.

We need to start putting guys in the league again.  Hopefully, this staff really is a developmental staff.

I have quite a bit of hope on offense.  Defense seems a long ways away.

8 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

The coaches that recruited him left. They hired a defensive coordinator. Half the team transferred. Their recruiting class is tanking. He can go pretty much anywhere and start immediately. What's not to get? 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, TheAuditor said:

Athens >>> Norman.   Athens Talent >>>>>>>>>>>> Norman Talent.  Undefeated and all.  He got a girlfriend at OU?  

It isnt the same fit though. I think the kid is talented, but I dont think he thrives in a drop back passer system. If he went to USC or Ole Miss type of offense, I would get it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Is this a throwback to ShaggyTexas?

Or even back to ShaggyBevo days?

I don’t believe that we were still with HornFans when our board went all “The Californians” and everyone had driving suggestions, but this reference has brought laughs and joy to my late night. I can go to sleep now. 😁😴

I think it's a joke in regards to Lagaryonn Carson 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. That's a pretty quick offer too, just entered a couple days ago. Have we offered any other safeties? Wonder if the Northwestern guy hasn't gotten an offer (doesn't look like he announces them on Twitter)

Have we offered other safeties? Staff may feel like that's a bigger need than Surly does

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It isnt the same fit though. I think the kid is talented, but I dont think he thrives in a drop back passer system. If he went to USC or Ole Miss type of offense, I would get it. 

I don't think Williams is thrilled with the way RIley left - and Ole Miss hasn't proven it can do anything and just lost their OC.  Kid can transfer onto a team that's in the title game with a guy named Stetson Bennett at QB - I bet CW thinks he can accomplish that and more if he were to go there.  With Kirby Smart and that defense - its going to make any QB's job easy as hell.

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

wouldnt OU's new offense be Ole Miss type then?

I would think OU's offense would be a much better fit for him. I am not convinced Lebby is a great OC, as he has never been OC without a strong offensive HC, but that system would better highlight his skills. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Interesting. That's a pretty quick offer too, just entered a couple days ago. Have we offered any other safeties? Wonder if the Northwestern guy hasn't gotten an offer (doesn't look like he announces them on Twitter)

Have we offered other safeties? Staff may feel like that's a bigger need than Surly does

I think it's a definite need. Only returning guys we have are Jerrin Thompson and Coffey. If they keep Cook at Nickel it definitely makes sense to find another safety. I think someone like BJ Allen could be ready to play early but you don't want to have to put your eggs in the basket of a true freshman. 

Edited by Hookem2147

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU247 saying Caleb Williams is meeting with the coaches today and then expect him to enter the portal. 

blOU went into last season with the consensus Heisman favorite and #1 QB in the 2021 class (not counting Ewers) backing him up. Next season they'll probably be starting Dillon Gabriel. 

You hate to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)