2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

3 minutes ago, T3SL4 said:

When the baseball team has to divide 11.7 scholarships amongst the entire team, it is a huge benefit to have a player on full scholarship via other means (football).

While I’m not sure how much Baseball would factor into Mario Williams‘ decision, David Pierce could absolutely use a fast, rangy, athletic player as a defensive replacement and pinch runner and would value a position like that over a 12th pitcher or fringe freshman.  If there is any legitimacy to Williams’ interest in baseball, Texas baseball should absolutely try to help with that recruitment. 

furthermore, with the MLB shrinking the draft soon (evidenced by the COVID draft in 2020 and outspoken desires from MLB front office members), and more and more minor league baseball teams going away, college baseball athletes will be more marketable and players who would have gone into the draft will now be playing in college with fewer rounds in the draft.  Absolutely bar minimum, Baseball would give Mario Williams a point of leverage similar to Kyler Murray. 

I don't disagree with this, dude wants to come play, cool. Pitchers get the majority of scholarships anyway. After that they start splitting up the ships, maybe catcher, or SS. Kyler Murray was kinda weird though, dude only played 2 years varsity baseball and stats weren't anything special. Would have been average on a good HS baseball team. Dude is a freak athlete though. The dude can fly and you can't teach that.

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I don't disagree with this, dude wants to come play, cool. Pitchers get the majority of scholarships anyway. After that they start splitting up the ships, maybe catcher, or SS. Kyler Murray was kinda weird though, dude only played 2 years varsity baseball and stats weren't anything special. Would have been average on a good HS baseball team. Dude is a freak athlete though. The dude can fly and you can't teach that.

Agreed; Kyler Murray was drafted on “upside” and raw potential that the metrics supported from basic Track Man projectile and kinematic stats like exit velocity and sprint speed.  Doesn’t always translate.  

Who knows— if a guy like Mario Williams is the difference between us stealing a base in a tie game against Vandy or Mississippi State to get into scoring position to take the go ahead score or snagging a ball deep in the hole to take away and XBH in the College World Series, you take that every day of the week.  

Edited by T3SL4
  • Hook 'Em 1

He looked frightened and bad after IT spent the offseason puffing him up to goose the value of that NIL deal they had with him.

How might you feel if on the 2nd play of the game 4 of 5 dudes responsible for protecting you are playing patticake with each other while Bijan is getting mauled?

It might take some time to get over it.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, the coaching staff is telling folks they don’t think he has “it” and isn’t the guy. Does that count? And this is a crew that helped make Mac Jones a first round pick. 

They're on the record saying that? 

If they are saying it, then, yes, I would trust their judgment more than my own.

Well, the coaching staff is telling folks they don’t think he has “it” and isn’t the guy. Does that count? And this is a crew that helped make Mac Jones a first round pick. 

I think I will wait and see what futureman has to say about this before making a decision.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If they are saying it, then, yes, I would trust their judgment more than my own.

I am not going to defend Card. He needs to step up, get out of his own way, and just go play. But a few of the coaches live in my neighborhood and i can most definitely say without any hesitation that the coaches do not believe that Hudson doesn't have it or isnt the guy. They are frustrated with him because they know what he is capable of and they are very focused on bringing out the best from him moving forward. Odds are that Ewers will win the job. I just want the best to play. But the coaches have most definitely not given up on Card.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Define “on the record.” I’d you are looking for it in print, no obviously you will not find a coaching staff shitting all over a current player on their roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I am not going to defend Card. He needs to step up, get out of his own way, and just go play. But a few of the coaches live in my neighborhood and i can most definitely say without any hesitation that the coaches do not believe that Hudson doesn't have it or isnt the guy. They are frustrated with him because they know what he is capable of and they are very focused on bringing out the best from him moving forward. Odds are that Ewers will win the job. I just want the best to play. But the coaches have most definitely not given up on Card.

I’m shocked they’re not telling casual neighbors they’re giving up on card. Shocked. Of course they’re going to try and bring the best out of him. They’re one injury away from needing him to play. The fact they went out and got a 5 star QB to transfer in doesn’t say anything at all…

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m shocked they’re not telling casual neighbors they’re giving up on card. Shocked. Of course they’re going to try and being the best out of him. They’re one injury away from needing him to play. The fact they went out and got a 5 star QB to transfer in doesn’t say anything at all…

Im shocked. SHOCKED. they would go out and get a 5 star QB to transfer in. I mean who would do that? the ONLY thing and I MEAN THE ONLY THING that could mean is that they privately think Card doesnt have it. and instead of telling former players and long time friends, they chose to tell you? SHOCKED I tell you! clearly you are right.

• Haha 1

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

Im shocked. SHOCKED. they would go out and get a 5 star QB to transfer in. I mean who would do that? the ONLY thing and I MEAN THE ONLY THING that could mean is that they privately think Card doesnt have it. and instead of telling former players and long time friends, they chose to tell you? SHOCKED I tell you! clearly you are right.

Clearly they didn’t tell me first hand. But they’re telling people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clearly they didn’t tell me first hand. But they’re telling people. 

LOL. So the coaches are telling people that they don't believe the QB they might have to rely on to win games next year can do so?

You've said a lot of stupid shit over they years but this is some of the stupidest. 

Even if they thought it, they wouldn't tell anybody outside their offices. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Quick notes on O. Mathis and M. Williams

By: @JoeCook and Eric

Inside Texas caught up with a source close to the recruitment of TCU transfer defensive end Ochaun Mathis. The source said Clemson and Alabama issued offers to the two-time All-Big 12 edge defender in addition to his interest from Texas.

Though those are formidable recruiting opponents for Steve Sarkisian, the same source said if former Horned Frog head coach Gary Patterson assumes a role within the Longhorn football program it would place Texas as the clear front-runner for Mathis’ services for the 2022 season.

By now you should know where IT stands on Patterson and Texas and therefore on Mathis and Texas.

IT also caught up with a source in the know on Mario Williams. The OU transfer wide receiver has been on a Texas official visit the last two days. USC came into the visit as the heavy leader but IT heard UT has made up ground. How much is yet unknown.

Confidence in UT’s chances did increase throughout the visit with the baseball coaches doing their part today.

IT also checked to see if there were any unknown suitors in contention. This is important because the Tampa native would prefer being closer to home, all things being equal. From what we here this is still a Texas / USC recruiting battle. He’s already accustomed to traveling from this region to Florida. That helps.

In short, it was a productive visit but we haven’t heard anything definitive about where Williams will end up or just how significant UT’s movement was. Did they go to 30% chance? 50%? More? The good thing about where we are on the portal recruiting calendar is we’ll find out soon enough.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

LOL. So the coaches are telling people that they don't believe the QB they might have to rely on to win games next year can do so?

You've said a lot of stupid shit over they years but this is some of the stupidest. 

Even if they thought it, they wouldn't tell anybody outside their offices. 

You don’t think coaches talk negatively about players to those close to them? Odd take.

28 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Y'all's positions aren't mutually exclusive, especially with how info diffuses out in the CFB world

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, T3SL4 said:

When the baseball team has to divide 11.7 scholarships amongst the entire team, it is a huge benefit to have a player on full scholarship via other means (football).

While I’m not sure how much Baseball would factor into Mario Williams‘ decision, David Pierce could absolutely use a fast, rangy, athletic player as a defensive replacement and pinch runner and would value a position like that over a 12th pitcher or fringe freshman.  If there is any legitimacy to Williams’ interest in baseball, Texas baseball should absolutely try to help with that recruitment. 

Furthermore, with the MLB shrinking the draft soon (evidenced by the COVID draft in 2020 and outspoken desires from MLB front office members), and more and more minor league baseball teams going away, college baseball athletes will be more marketable and players who would have gone into the draft will now be playing in college with fewer rounds in the draft.  Absolutely bar minimum, Baseball would give Mario Williams a point of leverage similar to Kyler Murray. 

UT actually has a lot of what Mario Williams has expressed interest in. He definitely does have interest in baseball. Riley allowing Kyler Murray to play both was an important point in his recruitment. Mario was also openly interested in NIL early. He has a cameo account link in his twitter page.

One more thing. Apparently he was one of the guys who didn't get to take many (?any) recruiting trips because of the Covid and expressed disappointment about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m shocked they’re not telling casual neighbors they’re giving up on card. Shocked. Of course they’re going to try and bring the best out of him. They’re one injury away from needing him to play. The fact they went out and got a 5 star QB to transfer in doesn’t say anything at all…

Yeah, really weird that the local university's football staff wouldn't tell local high school homers in the local high school neighborhood that their local high school kid will just probably never get it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, really weird that the local university's football staff wouldn't tell local high school homers in the local high school neighborhood that their local high school kid will just probably never get it. 

Exactly! you tell em Huck!

hey, wait a minute! 😜

Agreed; Kyler Murray was drafted on “upside” and raw potential that the metrics supported from basic Track Man projectile and kinematic stats like exit velocity and sprint speed.  Doesn’t always translate.  

Who knows— if a guy like Mario Williams is the difference between us stealing a base in a tie game against Vandy or Mississippi State to get into scoring position to take the go ahead score or snagging a ball deep in the hole to take away and XBH in the College World Series, you take that every day of the week.  

Somebody mentioned Card vs WV on here earlier. I never watched that game, I was at the camp, caught score, fuck it. I just watched it, most impressive thing was the mid game OU highlight of Mario Williams’ TD catch right side of end zone. We need to land that fucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

If people who read this board every day do not understand who the belligerents on this board are, and cannot adjust their expectations/responses accordingly, then that is completely on-brand for this forum. 

Just ignore those fuckers and smile to yourself when Earnest Greene goes to Georgia instead of Ohio State. In spite of the reported confidence of all of the Ohio State gentry during the summer, which I stated on this very board was worthless information.

Just let it go, people.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Although this has been a truly wonderful anonymous source off, I would humbly suggest that in determining whether coaches think a QB is “the guy”, perhaps what they say to casual acquaintance neighbors and/or “sources” for boosters is less informative than getting benched for Casey f’n Thompson and then staying benched on a 5-7 team?

It seems to me that this would probably mean that the coaches thought Casey was the better bet to win the next game, not that they think that Card doesn't have or won't have what it takes sometime in the future.  If they think he will never have the right stuff he probably wouldn't still be here.

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)