2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Ewers
Watts
Neyor
Billingsly
Probably Brini.
That's a fucking haul. Even without Brini, it's arguably the best in the country and that's before we add Mathis. Bunch of smart guys on here talking shit and pissing their diapers while crying about the staff over the last hundred pages or so. Pretty funny now.

They’ve moved on to pissing diapers in the 2023 thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

Ewers

Watts

Neyor

Billingsly

Probably Brini.

Those guys plus Mathis plus a linebacker worth a shit makes 7/22 or 32% guaranteed new high level starters. I think we will field a very good team, but if we don't it is pretty obvious that the issue is scheme. We will score with a good QB and at least 2 great receivers and a pass catching TE. Will we stop people though with an edge, a strong interior DL, and a great secondary?

Everyone on earth predicted this with the portal. This is what you get so good they fucked the game up.  It’s basically ruined the high school recruiting landscape. It’s very much the discussion in local circles in the area that unless you’re a top dog stud the days of diamonds in the rough and late bloomers are coming to an end when you have 3000 kids in the free agency market with a year or so of maturity and body prep at the ncaa level.  It will be harder for the small school fringe players to get a shot, some coaches here are now looking at alternative ways of getting kids into schools that aren’t 4-5 star.   If the portal was a thing during Colts day. A low 3 star from some 2a no man’s land he may never get discovered.      It will likely end up as a  single double triple A type System where you get the guys going to Wyoming, Idaho or FCS land. Perform well transfer to a big program abs finish out. 
Schools like Wyoming will find the rough cut diamonds, polish them up, and school like Texas will scoop them up; just like Neyor. He wasn't highly recruited. Wyoming was his best offer. In two seasons showed what he could do, and bam, gone. Schools like Wyoming will become the AAA to the Texas major league.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

How much does a hotshot service get per mile these days? That move to LA ain't gonna be cheap. 

It’s Oklahoma, so like $132 for gas and a half ounce of meth for the drive.   Plus driver probably picking g up some riding lawnmower parts for his USLMRA racer on the way back. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

It’s Oklahoma, so like $132 for gas and a half ounce of meth for the drive.   Plus driver probably picking g up some riding lawnmower parts for his USLMRA racer on the way back. 

Surely they have a chain of meth Costcos where people can buy in bulk.

6 hours ago, The Virginian said:

Schools like Wyoming will find the rough cut diamonds, polish them up, and school like Texas will scoop them up; just like Neyor. He wasn't highly recruited. Wyoming was his best offer. In two seasons showed what he could do, and bam, gone. Schools like Wyoming will become the AAA to the Texas major league.

… and hopefully, we’ll get past the Orioles level of suffering soon.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- On Hawgs 247, the only thread I saw had devolved into complaints about Texas $$$, and how that was the only reason he was expected to choose us

- On Horns 247, well, here's Mike

image.thumb.png.75918f0f7818f21e81d288cfa6346fa9.png

And per a 247 poster, here was Anwar's position:

image.thumb.png.4527d418466381ad57fd8f881b1b40aa.png

What, exactly, would you say you're paid to do, Mike?

The parts of his job that aren't related to TXHSFB pretty blatantly bore him. Hopefully a spot opens up at DCTF for all our sakes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Virginian said:

My buddy is the head guy at a sunbelt school (baseball) but he’s pretty happy about the portal. From his perspective he thinks he will get more quality players that don’t want to sit the bench at the big schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, THUJONE said:

Ewers

Watts

Neyor

Billingsly

Probably Brini.

That's a fucking haul. Even without Brini, it's arguably the best in the country and that's before we add Mathis. Bunch of smart guys on here talking shit and pissing their diapers while crying about the staff over the last hundred pages or so. Pretty funny now.

Ewers alone makes it the best in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

Any update on Brini?

Warning -- The following may just be crap info... 😋

FWIW... Post on Horns247 claims IT says Brini will become a Horn today.  Then they argued about whether he has 1 or two years eligibility left.

Another post claims OB also says Brini is in and should be official today.

So kinda third hand $9.95er info    😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

FWIW... Post on Horns247 claims IT says Brini will become a Horn today.  Then they argued about whether he has 1 or two years eligibility left.

Saving to come back and ridicule 3rd handledly if it don’t happen :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My buddy is the head guy at a sunbelt school (baseball) but he’s pretty happy about the portal. From his perspective he thinks he will get more quality players that don’t want to sit the bench at the big schools. 

Great attitude.  I'm glad for him.  

crazy that it could actually work...as designed.  rising stars get to move themselves to the big time, win big games, position themselves for the nfl.  backups at big programs get to move somewhere to actually play football (plenty of kids know their future is not in the nfl, but still are good enough to play after high school).

the nil $ will tilt things in favor of the rich, but the portal will benefit plenty of players, coaches, and fans.  win-win-win.

-michael scott 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Brini as a safety or CB?

Either safety or nickel, but I would think safety. I don't see nickel being a great fit for him. IT reported that the staff moved Cook to Safety and Jerrin took reps at Nickel, which I don't really get. If that's the staff's plan, then I would think Brini will slot in at the other safety spot, but we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

With Watts, Jamison, Barron, Crawford, and Brooks all at CB, I'd like to see one of those guys become the nickel. If the staff thinks it's a good idea to move Cook to Safety, then let Cook, Thompson and Brini battle for the two spots. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

They are probably right, but I wouldn't award them the tri-wizard cup just yet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Either safety or nickel, but I would think safety. I don't see nickel being a great fit for him. IT reported that the staff moved Cook to Safety and Jerrin took reps at Nickel, which I don't really get. If that's the staff's plan, then I would think Brini will slot in at the other safety spot, but we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

With Watts, Jamison, Barron, Crawford, and Brooks all at CB, I'd like to see one of those guys become the nickel. If the staff thinks it's a good idea to move Cook to Safety, then let Cook, Thompson and Brini battle for the two spots. 

Remind me, is Brooks an EE? 

5 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Remind me, is Brooks an EE? 

Current Update... Early Enrollees  (14)

• Maalik Murphy              QB
  • Bryan Allen Jr.               Safety
  • Terrance Brooks            CB 
  • Jaray Bledsoe               DL
  • Justice Finkley               DL
  • Jaylon Guilbeau             CB
  • Jaydon Blue                    RB
  • Larry Turner-Gooden     Safety
  • Cole Hutson                    OL
  • Aaron Bryant                   DL
  • Ryan Watts (transfer)     CB
  • Quinn Ewers  (transfer)   QB
  • Isaiah Neyor  (transfer)    WR
  • Jahleel Billingsley (transfer)  TE
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think the difference between baseball, a mostly individual skill sport, and football, where individual success is usually tied to team success, is key here. An individuals success in football is usually impossible without contributions from other. Your batting average and fielding percentage are mostly reliant on your on skill. Plus baseball has competitive summer leagues for additional opportunities to display talent.

Basketball may be more like baseball too. Harvard had the #80 class in 2020 and #50 class in 2021. Good players know that they can go there and should be able to dominate and get noticed. Plus they can go play in summer leagues and shine. As it turns out Harvard's coach, Tommy Amaker, is historically terrible and squanders massive talent advantages annually. But you see a template for success.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Thought Joshua Moore committed to Tech??

Did he already get in an argument with Joey McGuire during workouts ??

Same principal as a safety school, methinks.  Get committed, go look for something you like even better.  And let's face it, would you rather attend Tech or SMU?  That's a short conversation.

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Didn't he play nickel at UGA? If our starting nickel just got moved to S, seems like Brini would just slide in there. And idk why we'd mess with what worked for him at UGA..they did pretty well with him in that spot.

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Didn't he play nickel at UGA? If our starting nickel just got moved to S, seems like Brini would just slide in there. And idk why we'd mess with what worked for him at UGA..they did pretty well with him in that spot.

It's not the same position for us as it is for UGA.  They call it the Star position, and it's sort of a DB/LB hybrid. Kind of like how Orlando used his Nickels, except Kirby Smart's not a total regard.  PK usually uses smaller guys who can cover better, like Cook.  Brini's 6'2, 210, and coverage isn't his strongest suit, so he may not be as good of a fit at Nickel in PK's defense. We obviously need better run contain, so maybe they use him there. We'll see.

We have a lot of positions up in the air in the secondary right now so I expect they'll move different guys around to see what works. After watching them trot out Foster and Schooler for so many snaps last year, whether or not they actually identify the best combo will be the big question.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

UGA's defense is different than ours and asks for more physicality out of their Nickel, so they tend to use more safety types there. PK usually uses smaller guys who can cover better, like Cook.  Brini's 6'2, 210, and coverage isn't his strongest suit, so he may not be as good of a fit at Nickel for us.

We have a lot of positions up in the air in the secondary right now so I expect they'll move different guys around to see what works. After watching them trot out Foster and Schooler for so many snaps last year, whether or not they actually identify the best combo will be the big question.

I would be satisfied if I never have to hear the name BJ Foster on this message board again. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)