2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

In Sarks press conference yesterday he seemed to be pleased with the overall depth on defense, especially the secondary, but he seemed worried about the WR depth on offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we only take one edge guy and a LB for defense and bring in multiple WR this summer. 

My concern with this approach is that he seems to believe that by simply adding numbers to the edge position the competition will organically make guys better when in reality I think that we just need to go find better players.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

In Sarks press conference yesterday he seemed to be pleased with the overall depth on defense, especially the secondary, but he seemed worried about the WR depth on offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we only take one edge guy and a LB for defense and bring in multiple WR this summer. 

My concern with this approach is that he seems to believe that by simply adding numbers to the edge position the competition will organically make guys better when in reality I think that we just need to go find better players.

I don't know what more we could have done at the edge over the offseason assuming that Mathis comes on in the summer. Mathis, Finkley, and Tapp are all guys who can give immediate help, plus you have Brown and Burke as developmental guys. Burke could very well turn into the best player on the defense in 3 or 4 years. I am sure there will be a culling at some point with what is on the roster now.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't know what more we could have done at the edge over the offseason assuming that Mathis comes on in the summer. Mathis, Finkley, and Tapp are all guys who can give immediate help, plus you have Brown and Burke as developmental guys. Burke could very well turn into the best player on the defense in 3 or 4 years. I am sure there will be a culling at some point with what is on the roster now.  

And maybe Zac Swanson. Those are a lot of bodies if Mathis comes here. Linebacker, though - fuck: We don't have bodies on campus and we don't have prospects coming in. We should be desperate. Our defensive coordinator coaches OLB and we have a coach dedicated to ILB. The ILB coach should want some players to coach you would think.

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I thought I saw that Brown was going to start out at ILB. 

LSU transfer Josh White talks second recruitment

Mike Roach

Spoiler

LSU transfer Josh White talks second recruitment

Mike Roach

Josh White gets the benefit of going through a second recruitment.

The LSU transfer linebacker entered the NCAA Transfer Portal on Monday, and he will go into the next few months with the benefit of experience being recruited. A former four-star prospect out of Cy Creek, White just wants to go somewhere he can get on the field.

“I’m really trying to find a place where I can make an immediate impact and get on the field,” White said.

For White, there are a lot of familiar names and faces this time around. Several assistants recruited White in the 2020 class, and he's having a good time reconnecting with them.

“For sure,” he said. “Some of the coaches I’m talking to right now, I’ve known in high school and I’ve been talking to them since my sophomore year. It’s kind of fun to talk to those guys again and having them recruit me again.”

Texas through its hat in the ring on Tuesday, and there is some comfort with coaches who recruited him while at Alabama.

“It’s been good,” he said. “I know the staff already because they were at Alabama and I was recruited heavily by Alabama. The conversations have been great. They said I can come in and I can compete which is what I want to do.”

White also spoke with Texas linebacker coach Jeff Choate. Though the two didn't know each other in the past, White said they had an enjoyable conversation.

“He’s a great guy,” White said. “That was my first time meeting him. It was good to talk to him and see what the plans are for me.”

White is looking for the right fit, but he'd also like to stay close to home if possible. He has a visit set for Baylor this weekend and is planning a trip to Texas.

“If I could stay home and start for a school in Texas, that would be a dream come true,” White said.

White will enroll in the summer, so he has a few months to decide. He plans to take his time with the decision.

“I don’t want to go quick at all,” White said. “This is my last decision and I want to take my time and go slowly to make sure I’m making the right decision.”

Now, White will start diving into depth charts to see what the best situation Is.

“I haven’t really started looking at the depth charts yet, but I’m going to start getting into all of that this weekend,” he said.

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I thought I saw that Brown was going to start out at ILB. 

He very well could, it might be a better place for him. Swanson could also spin down inside, but I like Swanson's natural disruption that he plays with. I could easily see him at Strong side Edge (Buck?) if he doesn't put on too much weight. 

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Bringing in another WR who isn't a Boutte level guy seems like a stretch at this point, much less multiple WR transfers 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He very well could, it might be a better place for him. Swanson could also spin down inside, but I like Swanson's natural disruption that he plays with. I could easily see him at Strong side Edge (Buck?) if he doesn't put on too much weight. 

I always thought of Swanson as a spin down candidate. That is probably where his highest upside resides. Going to be interesting to see how Texas handles it. Throwing numbers at the problem, so there is likely going to be a lot of movement and some early transfers (guys arent going to be happy being 3rd srtring in their own class)

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Bringing in another WR who isn't a Boutte level guy seems like a stretch at this point, much less multiple WR transfers 

If we can just get the light to come on and the injuries bug stamped out between Dixon, Alexis, and Omeire, we should be fine with what we have if you consider Thompson coming in over the summer. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

If we can just get the light to come on and the injuries bug stamped out between Dixon, Alexis, and Omeire, we should be fine with what we have if you consider Thompson coming in over the summer. 

Also consider that we'll frequently be in 21 and 12 personnel with Worth and Neyor as the WRs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Aggies are saying Jake Johnson has pushed Cupp aside and is apparently "A DUDE."  Of course, Aggies are ignorant dumbasses, so who knows what's really happening?

Johnson is good, Cupp has had some pretty serious injuries, sure, it's plausible.

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Johnson is good, Cupp has had some pretty serious injuries, sure, it's plausible.

Apparently Cupp recently picked up a hammy and so Johnson started repping with the first time while he was out

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

5 star mom aside, it might not be the worst idea to pursue Cupp. It's not like Texas has proven starters and depth at the position.

Billingsley/Sanders/Davis/Helm is a fine enough depth chart compared to some other needs, and Cupp is a pure lottery ticket with his injuries.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)