2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

And after Saturday but before May 1st expect several more names from the current roster to be processed as well. 

Yeah, Sark hinted there could be roster changes -- Next week coaches meeting individually with each player for progress reports...  

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And after Saturday but before May 1st expect several more names from the current roster to be processed as well. 

It's possible that super seniors exercising their Covid yeah might not count against the 85 limit, and we may not need to process any more. The NCAA hasn't announced if that will be the case again this year.

We may end up processing them anyhow. 

41 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

So, Miami is getting the ASU kid, Caleb Johnson AND Ted Hendricks? 

AND the Cavinder twins!

Cavinder twins Haley and Hanna transferring from Fresno State to Miami women's basketball program

1C1BA856-FFD2-4B89-AADC-E916CF39CB0D.thumb.png.4eadb7d2c05b82cc4e8e522129b0a9a3.png

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33781373/cavinder-twins-haley-hanna-transferring-fresno-state-miami-women-basketball-program

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Nahlin this AM on Caleb Johnson

Edit: The NIL era is tough. Many recruitments will simply come down to who wants a player more. That appears to be Miami at latest check. Texas felt pretty good following the visit but Miami seems to be treating him like a need rather than want. If you dropped a like, please come collect it.

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Smaller pool to compete with. In Miami they will be big fish in a smaller but still pretty large pond. In California it’s just another set of blondes.

Miami and Fresno are almost the same size but Miami has a lot more burbs. Fresno is 33% hispanic, 27% white, and 7% black. Miami is 64% hispanic, 14% black, and 13% white.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin this AM on Caleb Johnson

Edit: The NIL era is tough. Many recruitments will simply come down to who wants a player more. That appears to be Miami at latest check. Texas felt pretty good following the visit but Miami seems to be treating him like a need rather than want. If you dropped a like, please come collect it.

Nahlin needs to go cover Jackson State since he’s mastered the art of backpedaling. He and Deion would be a good fit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I don't think he was being serious about the whole "more than Fresno" remark. 

I am just interested in that kind of stuff so I looked it up. I thought Fresno had a lot of hispanics but it only has half as many as Miami. So the biggest difference seems to be that Fresno sucks and Miami is decent.

I think it’s technically against the rules, but I assume there’s plenty of coordination happening between coaching staffs and NIL machines? Like, “hey this is a guy we really need this year”?

This is all evolving so quickly. It’s like each program has it’s own salary cap, but the number is secret. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There will be at least 3 guys just as good or better than Johnson who enter the portal over the next week before the May 1st deadline.

I'm not sure how many quality players will be hitting the portal between now and 5/1. I think a lot of the new entries will be guys getting pushed out, but I do agree Johnson isn't a huge loss. It would've been nice to have some more depth at ILB, but he wasn't going to be a big difference maker. I'm skeptical he would've started over Overshown and Ford. It would have been nice to have him if one of them gets hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We have a free for all free agency in college football, but unlike every pro sport, no guardrails at all on team salaries. I don’t think this ends well. 

Yep. It's going to be full chaos unless/until some of the major conferences decide there needs to be clear rules and an enforcement authority they all agree to. And even if that happened, the legal side would still make enforcement very complicated. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We have a free for all free agency in college football, but unlike every pro sport, no guardrails at all on team salaries. I don’t think this ends well. 

Soooo it's just European soccer. All the way down to the overhyped, overpriced 17 year olds.

Let's hope aggy isn't able to turn their Qatar campus into a wing of the PSG sportswashing machine.

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The only benefit that salary caps have in pro sports are to ensure that billionaire owners keep a higher percentage of profits than they otherwise would, thus ensuring some level of parity. Otherwise, some schmuck like Jerry Jones would gladly spend $10 billion of his own money if it would guarantee a Super Bowl victory. Other owners, like Woody Johnson or Jimmy Haslam would no longer field competitive teams, because they are more interested in milking profits than wins.

In the current college landscape, there's nothing preventing the billionaire from spending ungodly amounts of money to see his favorite team win. It probably "ends well" for the players, and the for teams that have extremely rich patrons willing to spend it to win. It probably doesn't end well for teams that don't. And as for parity? There hasn't been anything remotely resembling parity in College Football in a long, long, time. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The only benefit that salary caps have in pro sports are to ensure that billionaire owners keep a higher percentage of profits than they otherwise would, thus ensuring some level of parity. Otherwise, some schmuck like Jerry Jones would gladly spend $10 billion of his own money if it would guarantee a Super Bowl victory. Other owners, like Woody Johnson or Jimmy Haslam would no longer field competitive teams, because they are more interested in milking profits than wins.

In the current college landscape, there's nothing preventing the billionaire from spending ungodly amounts of money to see his favorite team win. It probably "ends well" for the players, and the for teams that have extremely rich patrons willing to spend it to win. It probably doesn't end well for teams that don't. And as for parity? There hasn't been anything remotely resembling parity in College Football in a long, long, time. 

Please help us Michael and Elon!

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)