2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

51 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It is always scary to get confident about something regarding our program, but Nebraska is one of those fanbases whose brains completely stop functioning when you mention Texas.  Logic and coherent thought go completely out the window when the burnt orange is being discussed.  I'm not saying Mathis is a lock to us or anything, but there is not a single person in the Nebraska fanbase that is able to unbiasedly discuss something regarding Texas.

Kinda like when they were 100% gonna smear Texas the next year, in Nebraska, after getting screwed over in the Big XII Championship? According to them that that was a foregone conclusion. LOL, how did that work out for them? 

I guess enough time has passed for them to get another banana in the tailpipe.

CHIEF

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Number 3 class in the nation and there's MAYBE two potential NFL players in there?  Fucking nuts.

Over half the 2019 class was nothing but recruiting deadweight.

The 2018 had way too many players without a position (or not willing to change positions) as well as just not being talented enough.

For example, the wide receivers in the 2018 class were pure trash. Eagles had some talent, but was a well known one trick pony in high school. He was worth a shot with the testing numbers, but well known to be way too heavy-footed to ever be more than a one trick pony. Yes, sometimes the shuttle time isn't a real reflection of agility. The other two receivers should never, ever play at a blueblood program Ever. Washington? A combo of lack of strength and SLOW. Moore? Good explosiveness out of the box but weak, SLOW and a known headcase. We desperately needed receivers and that's all we got? Not good. Rinse and repeat with many other positions in the class and over the years.

There were some talented pieces at the top of the 2019 class (we got unlucky there) but it just wasn't a deep class. Average for a blueblood.

Fans have to stop being fooled by the recruiting services who need to sell subscriptions to the largest fan base in the country. The recruiting services create a false sense of security because the fan base thinks we always have the talent. Back in the 80's, before the internet, there was no fooling anyone. The fanbase was well aware that the cheating in the SWC had eroded the talent level on the 40.

The 2022 class (and transfers) is a nice start. Texas still need to step it up a couple of notches to compete with the best.

Hook' em

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

According to a Husker buddy of mine, their Rivals writers are saying there is a 70% chance they get Mathis. Also said their version of CTJ is confident. These guys think Casey Thompson is going to be the savior so take it with a grain of salt.

How much do you have to hate OU as a QB legacy QB and to enroll at UT then later transfer to Nebraska?   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

According to a Husker buddy of mine, their Rivals writers are saying there is a 70% chance they get Mathis. Also said their version of CTJ is confident. These guys think Casey Thompson is going to be the savior so take it with a grain of salt.

tumblr_pa1lsyCSDY1qe8lb8o1_500.gif

• Haha 2

How I imagine a Husker CTJ writes his posts

Spoiler

Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Nebraska out recruits Texas by 70% around 20% of the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Over half the 2019 class was nothing but recruiting deadweight.

The 2018 had way too many players without a position (or not willing to change positions) as well as just not being talented enough.

For example, the wide receivers in the 2018 class were pure trash. Eagles had some talent, but was a well known one trick pony in high school. He was worth a shot with the testing numbers, but well known to be way too heavy-footed to ever be more than a one trick pony. Yes, sometimes the shuttle time isn't a real reflection of agility. The other two receivers should never, ever play at a blueblood program Ever. Washington? A combo of lack of strength and SLOW. Moore? Good explosiveness out of the box but weak, SLOW and a known headcase. We desperately needed receivers and that's all we got? Not good. Rinse and repeat with many other positions in the class and over the years.

There were some talented pieces at the top of the 2019 class (we got unlucky there) but it just wasn't a deep class. Average for a blueblood.

Fans have to stop being fooled by the recruiting services who need to sell subscriptions to the largest fan base in the country. The recruiting services create a false sense of security because the fan base thinks we always have the talent. Back in the 80's, before the internet, there was no fooling anyone. The fanbase was well aware that the cheating in the SWC had eroded the talent level on the 40.

The 2022 class (and transfers) is a nice start. Texas still need to step it up a couple of notches to compete with the best.

Hook' em

Think other coaches could've gotten more out of Eagles than Drew Mehringer?  A big Longhorn problem wandering the desert hasn't been recruiting services--it's been undeveloped talent.  Other teams are beating Texas with lesser talent unless we want to believe Kansas recruiting is equal.  This post is selling players without the coaching aspect. There's a reason they're all gone and it wasn't success. We've watched teams like TCU convert qbs to linebackers, while Texas whiffs at the position with its third different linebacker coach in 3 years-I liked Hutzler.  What's the base defensive alignment going to be this year?  

We're not building on success right now, we're trying to build to succeed without the cultural aspect.  Sark didn't build the culture at Bama, failed at building it at USC, or really establishing one at Washington.  He's learning too, which is really kind of frightening, but hopefully, the right coaches are finally in place.  And it'll be interesting to see how the portal pieces contribute to the rebuild, especially since they will be leaned on heavily for added leadership. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Think other coaches could've gotten more out of Eagles than Drew Mehringer?  A big Longhorn problem wandering the desert hasn't been recruiting services--it's been undeveloped talent.  Other teams are beating Texas with lesser talent unless we want to believe Kansas recruiting is equal.  This post is selling players without the coaching aspect. There's a reason they're all gone and it wasn't success. We've watched teams like TCU convert qbs to linebackers, while Texas whiffs at the position with its third different linebacker coach in 3 years-I liked Hutzler.  What's the base defensive alignment going to be this year?  

We're not building on success right now, we're trying to build to succeed without the cultural aspect.  Sark didn't build the culture at Bama, failed at building it at USC, or really establishing one at Washington.  He's learning too, which is really kind of frightening, but hopefully, the right coaches are finally in place.  And it'll be interesting to see how the portal pieces contribute to the rebuild, especially since they will be leaned on heavily for added leadership. 

Yeah, big Hutzler fan here too.  Wish he was kept on when PK arrived.

Damn Saban hired him this year... 

It’s a combination of a lot of things. Bad mental evals leads to attrition. Head coaching turnover leads to attrition. Assistant coaching turnover leads to attrition. Having 3 DC’s in 3 years leads to attrition. Trying to make Malcolm Epps an X receiver leads to attrition. Taking 250 pound Ayodele Adoeye as your only inside LB take in a class and following it up the next class by trying to backfill with Juwan Mitchell is going to cause issues.

We loaded up at safety and wide receiver in back to back “top 3” classes. Now 4 years later we are paying the price in the trenches and at key positions like LB. 

Trying to point to just one thing as the cause is just looking for an easy answer. It was a domino effect and it’s going to take more than 1 year to undo. I hate using this word but there has to be some continuity from the top down to reverse certain trends and get roster management back on track. I saw some encouraging signs over the past 12 months with the way we cut dead weight at WR, are allocating more scholarships to the OL/DL and got rid of dudes who were occupying space on the roster. It will probably take another offseason to get things truly how we need it.

Now, development is an entirely different conversation. But one way to make development easier is by getting and retaining talented players who have mental toughness. We haven’t been very good at that.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

One guy who I hope enters the portal in the next few days is Clayton Smith from OU. Apparently he did not play much in their spring game and isn’t exactly seeing eye to eye with the new staff. A mod commented on one of their boards that he is still at least year away from seeing the field.

He would immediately upgrade our pass rush and obviously was heavily considering Texas coming out of high school and is former teammates with Derrick Brown.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Kinda like when they were 100% gonna smear Texas the next year, in Nebraska, after getting screwed over in the Big XII Championship? According to them that that was a foregone conclusion. LOL, how did that work out for them? 

I guess enough time has passed for them to get another banana in the tailpipe.

CHIEF

My only regret at that game was not buying one of their special t-shirts they had made for the game. They were having a pre-African mission sale after the game.

My son’s best friend was with us, and his family is everything Huskers. It would have been downright rude to buy that shirt with him there.

I still regret it, though.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

One guy who I hope enters the portal in the next few days is Clayton Smith from OU. Apparently he did not play much in their spring game and isn’t exactly seeing eye to eye with the new staff. A mod commented on one of their boards that he is still at least year away from seeing the field.

He would immediately upgrade our pass rush and obviously was heavily considering Texas coming out of high school and is former teammates with Derrick Brown.

I hope that's not true, damn.  I know the staff likes what they're getting out of some of the other young guys quite a bit, but if they can't find a way to get Smith motivated and involved, that's a failure in my eyes.  Maybe it's just personalities not meshing and what can you do with a new staff, but he's got tons of potential.

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Good points, especially on Sark and culture. Herman had a lot of that in place (even if some didn't like his personality) but he's too much of a blowhard to see his mistakes in scheme and coaching hires. He also didn't receive near enough pushback and assistance from administration in getting it right. He was an up and coming coach that needed a coming to Jesus moment from day one. It's the administrations job to make sure that is ironed out. He needed better assistant coaches. There's no excuses for the administration allowing some of those dudes to be hired. Other schools would have ironed all that out before hiring him. At the end of the day, Herman didn't land the right players. I've never seen a coach give away top recruits like Strong and Herman. Their recruiting issues weren't helped by the administration but much of it was their own undoing. The recruiting services way overvalued those classes.

Development is an issue but that is discussed here all the time. It's always the coach's fault. Is that really the only issue? Even the main issue? Let's look at it from another viewpoint:

3 RECRUITS I MENTIONED BEFORE:

Eagles left Texas early with very limited success to...declare for the draft. I think that tells you something about Brennan Eagles. I seriously doubt he develops in some alternative universe. He's just another school's deadweight. He can't sink his hips and change directions. It was an issue in high school. There is not a miracle pill.

Washington is a wide receiver that runs over 4.7 in the 40 (yikes!).

Moore was also a high 4.6 to low 4.7 kid coming out of high school (lol at him telling the world he's the fastest man on the team). Moore was a mental headcase in high school. I'm not sure how many schools were really pushing for him down the stretch. It's almost like he was starting to run out of options. But that recruiting ranking!

How many successful receivers at blueblood programs, while also being skinny as a rail, run 4.75? 4.65? Our rosters over the years are littered with players like that on both sides of the ball. I'm glad to see Sark upping the game at receiver. We still need more there, and not just transfers. Even back in the mid-2000's, I'm of the opinion that Greg Davis, his biggest issue, was laziness in recruiting and pay for play. We'd get some top recruits but way too inconsistent, especially on the o-line and at receiver. And then when school's started paying players in the state again, it was all downhill from there on out. 

The defense needs a huge shot in the arm in that department as well. It lacked speed and athleticism in a major way in the past few years. Doesn't excuse the lack of toughness last year. That's a culture issue.

HOW MANY GREAT COLLEGE COACHES ARE OUT THERE?

Coaching has definitely been an issue, and corch Meh was incompetent, but if you don't have the talent then it's harder to evaluate a coach one way or another. Talent being equal: Herman or Cookie Monster? Herman or Les Miles? Herman or Cristobal? Herman or Kirby Smart? Herman or Jimbo Fisher? I would take Herman in every case with equal talent. I can tell you how every one of those other coaches was so successful (at least in stretches) and I think you already know the answer. Just a wake up call: There aren't very many great coaches in college football. That's why we have such a hard time hiring one. It's been that way for a 100 years with only a few exceptions. Bear Bryant would like to tell you how he won. Go look it up.

"IF HE BITES YOU AS A DOG, HE WILL BITE YOU AS A PUP" - Darrell K. Royal

An influx of 5-star "type" talent spread out over the various position groups has always been the championship winning formula at this level. This is not the NFL. Coaching is important but at a blueblood program it is more about talent acquisition than we want to believe. The 250th "ranked" recruit in a class is a crap shoot and the kid ranked 900th may be a significantly better player and athlete. Of course, if he commits to Texas he goes from unranked to probably 500th in most cases. And many times much higher than that. He also comes to Texas with way more pressure on him than at TCU. He's not just going to be thrown on the field in front of small crowds, and against weak out of conference opponents, and given the chance to learn on the job. It doesn't work that way here or any other blueblood program.

TCU taking a QB and turning him into a linebacker is a good way to find a plus athlete at the linebacker position, if you know how to evaluate the right talent and they have the right mental approach to make the switch. That's more evaluation than development. It also helps if they're willing to inject steroids into their system. And as I stated the previous paragraph, the pressure is much greater here.

Saban has a lot of top ranked talent that ends up being worthless (a lot higher ranked than the kids Texas is landing). He just keeps landing enough of them. I'm not saying he's not a good developer, just making a point. Many of his good players bite as a pup. How is that development?

IF OUR PLAYERS ARE SO GOOD, WHY AREN'T THE TRANSFERS KILLING IT ELSEWHERE?

Why aren't all these players that transfer from Texas going on to great success elsewhere? If they can be developed then why aren't they being developed at their next destination and then off to the NFL? There are a few that were decent elsewhere, but very few of them over the years. And that's something that needs more attention.  Maybe a lot these kids with questionable speed and measurables, or with limited flexibility and very little desire for success, maybe they just aren't that good? Where are the complete players? The near finished products the day they arrive to campus? The sculpted clay that just needs some small details? I will repeat: Darrell Royal said a great player will bite as a pup. I don't see many of those landing here. Why? How is that a development issue? How many of our frosh and sophomores pop off the page when they get on campus? At the spring game? In practice? Not stupid fake reports by "journalists".

DO SOME OF OUR CLASSES EVEN LOOK THAT GOOD ON PAPER?

Texas lands way too many 4-star kids that finish 200-400 in the so-called "rankings". 

EVEN COACHES WITH AN ELITE SPECIALTY STRUGGLE HERE AT THEIR SPECIALTY

Strong was a really good defensive coordinator but suddenly can't coach defense? He was a terrible head coach but he can coach defense. How is that development? Sark tore it up at Alabama but struggled last year on offense. I think he showed a lot of promise on that side of the ball. But we didn't exactly tear it up last year on offense. He's cleaning house on that side of the ball. Bringing in more dynamic players. Why? Because we were so talented??

IT'S LIKE A DOG CHASING HIS TAIL. A CONSTANT LOOP THAT NEVER ENDS.  FOR NEARLY 40 YEARS.

This is a recurring theme here since I've been alive. There was a 7 or 8 year stretch since 1983 where the talent was good, right after the cheating in the SWC was temporarily halted. The talent was probably elite for only 4 years or so. You could see 2010 from a mile away. We didn't recruit on offense after 2006. Thank you for the two man show of Shipley and McCoy. Total disaster. We did still land players on defense for a few more years.

All I know is for 40 years I keep hearing the same damn thing from the administration and the fanbase. Why hasn't it been fixed then?

Talent Kills. You know when you have it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

IT

Defensive end Ochaun Mathis is nearing a decision. The Manor product, who is completing his degree at TCU this spring, is thought to be announcing on April 30 between Texas and Nebraska.

However, IT has been told TCU has tried to wiggle its way back into the picture via NIL. Whether Mathis is interested in returning to TCU is something we can’t confirm because he has not even mentioned TCU as a possibility publicly.

Still, one thing is clear.

While most have thought Texas would be his ultimate destination given the Horns’ need at the position, the relationship between Mathis and Gary Patterson, and the proximity of Manor to Austin, it appears any and all competition isn’t going down so easily.

It’s not only TCU who refuses to yield and/or trying to make a last-minute run.

After speaking with someone who covers the Huskers in Lincoln, Nebraska even has some confidence.

So essentially, it’s a race to the finish. And in the age of NIL and the transfer portal, my best advice is to hold on to your hat.

Mathis could be the ultimate piece needed for the Longhorns’ defense. We’ll find out one way or the other on Saturday.

Texas is still looking in the portal for other positions. Safety and linebacker are chief among them.

Do not be surprised if we hear more about either or both of those spots in the coming days.

Players across the country must submit their paperwork to join the portal prior to May 1, which is this Sunday, in order to be eligible to play at the university of their choice this coming season.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

this is why I love the portal thread

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Like Ewers?

Fair enough. Of course, the counter to that would be that IT doesn't have the best NIL contacts. This was more of a shot at their blind optimism/blind spot combination. 

I'm sure in retrospect they're claiming they had Kelvin Banks right the whole way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fair enough. Of course, the counter to that would be that IT doesn't have the best NIL contacts. This was more of a shot at their blind optimism/blind spot combination. 

I'm sure in retrospect they're claiming they had Kelvin Banks right the whole way. 

Nahlin was demoralized for months if it’s any consolation considering his July will tell June story and how much he hyped the July 4th weekend leading up to Banks choosing Oregon 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Defensive end Ochaun Mathis is nearing a decision. The Manor product, who is completing his degree at TCU this spring, is thought to be announcing on April 30 between Texas and Nebraska.

However, IT has been told TCU has tried to wiggle its way back into the picture via NIL. Whether Mathis is interested in returning to TCU is something we can’t confirm because he has not even mentioned TCU as a possibility publicly.

Still, one thing is clear.

While most have thought Texas would be his ultimate destination given the Horns’ need at the position, the relationship between Mathis and Gary Patterson, and the proximity of Manor to Austin, it appears any and all competition isn’t going down so easily.

It’s not only TCU who refuses to yield and/or trying to make a last-minute run.

After speaking with someone who covers the Huskers in Lincoln, Nebraska even has some confidence.

So essentially, it’s a race to the finish. And in the age of NIL and the transfer portal, my best advice is to hold on to your hat.

Mathis could be the ultimate piece needed for the Longhorns’ defense. We’ll find out one way or the other on Saturday.

Texas is still looking in the portal for other positions. Safety and linebacker are chief among them.

Do not be surprised if we hear more about either or both of those spots in the coming days.

Players across the country must submit their paperwork to join the portal prior to May 1, which is this Sunday, in order to be eligible to play at the university of their choice this coming season.

Bleacher Report

• Like 1

Reads to me like Mathis just driving up his NIL. If you want a bidding war, you've got to have bidders.

It's possible that Nebraska, or TCU, or fucking Slippery Rock decides they need this particular player more than Texas does. But as we've discussed plenty on this board, these type of things starting to boil down to naked dollars and cents bodes very well for us in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

One mans trash is another mans treasure when it comes to our edge options

Possible but OU just lost both their edge players, so they are not particular strong on the edges either.  Their mods basically said he has a shit attitude and is least a year away from the field. The conclusion to that was he would immediately upgrade the pass rush, which seems liek a stretch. Based on what the OU mods said, it sounds like he is the Texas version of Prince Dorbah with more attitude

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

To be fair, NIL does make things a lot harder to predict. Sounds like Mathis will just come down to final bids.

But yeah, if IT is hedging, it’s definitely not as certain as we’ve thought. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trying to think, since the portal became a thing, has there a been a guy who's transferred from Texas and just absolutely tore it up at his new school? Most successful transfers I can think of are Buechele and Cam Rising. 

We could use Byron Vaughns right about now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trying to think, since the portal became a thing, has there a been a guy who's transferred from Texas and just absolutely tore it up at his new school? Most successful transfers I can think of are Buechele and Cam Rising. 

was jordan elliott pre-portal?

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I dont think there has been a single All-Conference or even 2nd team player for a transfer to Texas in over a decade, from Texas is another story

Edited by Codaxx

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Byron Vaughns is really fucking good.

Caleb Johnson was decent at UCLA as was Jalen Green at Moo State. 

Most transfers have very little impact at their new schools (see fucking spares like Thornton, Ben Davis, etc...) and despite the message board excitement rarely are they transferring because they are awesome but buried on deep ass teams (or poorly coached/scheme fit) - those guys (like Keilan) are the absolute gems of the portal. Most of the portal guys, ingress or egress, are just shuffling trash around to fill out the depth chart and hoping to find some starting reps out of someone else's crap pile. You could ask that about almost any P5 team and the answers would mostly be 2 or 3 good players that left tore it up at their new schools while these 14 continued to be fucking spares. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)