2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

5 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Exactly.  If our billionaires outbid their billionaires, our coaching staff would be best recruiting staff in nation.  

Instead, we play by different rules than reality and then are schocked when we lose a recruit or aggies dominate us in this game.  Sadly, for as much as we rightfully make fun of aggies, they were ahead of game and ahead of us.  We are stuck defending why this isnt real NIL.

Its not even Billionaires - look at the aggy 'fund' - its a bunch of new money millionaires supporting their cult/football team.  They are desperate for a title - and when you haven't won one since the Great Depression that can fuel the fanaticism we're now seeing out of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Exactly.  If our billionaires outbid their billionaires, our coaching staff would be best recruiting staff in nation.  

Instead, we play by different rules than reality and then are schocked when we lose a recruit or aggies dominate us in this game.  Sadly, for as much as we rightfully make fun of aggies, they were ahead of game and ahead of us.  We are stuck defending why this isnt real NIL.

image.jpeg.bfac2597435f79cbea6a7f3f925af87c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

$600k for one year is bad value. Should be able to procure 2-3 one year rentals at that cost 

As with most things, the market will determine value. Everytime a higher amount is paid, a new floor is essentially set. 

Will those who overpay be burned? Time will tell. The current landscape is in a price discovery phase. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Sabalo said:

600k for 4 sacks? Power to the kid for getting paid but that seems high. I hope our bmds  are ready to pony up to keep our top players.

It’s crazy, but the #1 pick in the draft had 6 and 9.5 sacks for his career. Inflation is real

3 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

As with most things, the market will determine value. Everytime a higher amount is paid, a new floor is essentially set. 

Will those who overpay be burned? Time will tell. The current landscape is in a price discovery phase. 

Gonna be interesting when businesses (like in Nebraska) pay big NIL money for a 1yr player only to see their results on the field suck, or they unfortunately get injured.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

NFL minimum salary is something like $650K/year so naturally a one year rental should be something lower than that.

That's a bad comparison. Some of these one year rentals are first round picks (e.g. Jordan Addison) - NFL minimum isn't relevant.

Even in round 5+, by which time a lot of these expensive 1 yr rentals will land, you're making over league minimum, though not much more, and that's a commitment of $650k+ for multiple years vs $650k for 1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

NFL minimum salary is something like $650K/year so naturally a one year rental should be something lower than that.

Two problems with that logic is 1) nfl artificially suppresses player value in the first 3 years of their career by not allowing them to be drafted and 2) you presume a nfl nobody has more value than a college football player when the avenues for setting value are far, far different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Good point, we should go and offer an NFL player a big NIL deal instead and get better value. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

We would pay/are paying to keep worthy. He’s a top 5 receiver in CFB. Mathis might not even be top 15 at his position.

But the opportunity cost of us not getting him is probably a couple of wins.  Because there doesn’t appear to be an equivalent or better solution.   If that’s true, then is it worth 600K to go 8-4 instead of 6-6?

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

But the opportunity cost of us not getting him is probably a couple of wins.  Because there doesn’t appear to be an equivalent or better solution.   If that’s true, then is it worth 600K to go 8-4 instead of 6-6?

This bum and his 4 sacks isn't going to net us 2 wins

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

This bum and his 4 sacks isn't going to net us 2 wins

Giving up a third and long in a one score game because the QB could find time can change the game’s outcome.   WVU and OU are probably wins if we get one sack on third and long instead of giving up long passes.  Possibly KU too.  

Assuming we actually did lose out on Mathis, this is not the end of the world. It would have been great to pick up a solid edge rusher, but if Nebraska wants to throw 600k at a one year project then good for them. He may provide a few impactful plays, but he's not a Joseph Ossai or Alex Okafor game changer type. Sark may go 6-6 or 8-4 this year, and I don't see a big difference between the two. A lot of people were still drooling all over Charlie Strong's cock after two consecutive 7 loss seasons. Sark will still be in a position to either prove his worth or be replaced in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We are in the early, experimental stages of NIL and these players are taking advantage. Good for them. 

The upcoming seasons will determine if these big money guys were actually worth it.  Rates/payments will be adjusted accordingly. Some people need to calm down. 

Lol...people said that about coaches salaries too 

This Addison situation could get real interesting. What if he enters the portal but the public tampering backlash/accusations make USC a no-go? Does he go back to a Pitt program that just cost him $2 mil? Or does he look elsewhere?

We certainly don’t need another portal WR but if Marion can land him, no brainer. <5% chance but we can always dream. 

Edit: watch him end up at Bama

Edited by Tex-19

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This Addison situation could get real interesting. What if he enters the portal but the public tampering backlash/accusations make USC a no-go? Does he go back to a Pitt program that just cost him $2 mil? Or does he look elsewhere?

We certainly don’t need another portal WR but if Marion can land him, no brainer. <5% chance but we can always dream. 

I see no reason to think that we are going to pay over $600K to sign a player between now and the start of the season.

18 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Assuming we actually did lose out on Mathis, this is not the end of the world. It would have been great to pick up a solid edge rusher, but if Nebraska wants to throw 600k at a one year project then good for them. He may provide a few impactful plays, but he's not a Joseph Ossai or Alex Okafor game changer type. Sark may go 6-6 or 8-4 this year, and I don't see a big difference between the two. A lot of people were still drooling all over Charlie Strong's cock after two consecutive 7 loss seasons. Sark will still be in a position to either prove his worth or be replaced in 2023.

lol as soon as we get our first loss, posters will bring Mathis name up if we don't land him today.

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I think he'll do the Caleb Williams dog and pony show of visiting schools before committing at the last possible day to enroll for the summer session.  Hell he may give us a visit too.

19 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’m sorry but I don’t think Myles Garrett gets this defense two more wins last or this year

Fun fact, Myles Garret never won more than 8 games and their defensive ranking was never higher than 30. In fact in the NFL he's only won more than 8 games once.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

So Nebraska is giving Mathis 600k to play there. And we aren't blaming our money guys for saying , dude aint worth that much. Thanks. But no thanks. 

And in the next post yall screaming how our staff sucks because Nebraska is beating us out for the kid who is making a money decision, not a whats best for me decision. 

Does that about cover it?

The staff can/should influence who gets what. Just saying every transfer is all about NIL and has nothing to do with the coaching staff is a replay dumb, naive way to look at it.

And even if they decided Mathis ain’t worth it, if they don’t land a single edge transfer, it’s a huge failure on their part. We are fucked at the position without a solid starter coming in. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So parents giving school/coaches millions to get kid into usc means federal crime and jail time. 

Usc getting rich alums to give millions to kid to get kid into usc is just the way of the world. 

because the former is inequitable and the latter is not?

If you can’t tell the difference between the two, then, well, I guess you belong here. 

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

You’re so dumb lmao

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

We would pay/are paying to keep worthy. He’s a top 5 receiver in CFB. Mathis might not even be top 15 at his position.

If you’re talking nationally, Mathis is absolutely not top 15. He’s a good bit great starter. Losing on him isn’t a massive deal, but not landing a single edge transfer absolutely is. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

you can’t tell the difference between the two, then, well, I guess you belong here. 

Oh I can tell. That’s why I had to omit the football aspect completely from the descriptor to make them appear more similar, other than the direction of the money. 

Put me in the category that says $600K for a player that isn't a guaranteed all conference performer is assinine.  Why in the hell are Nebraska boosters ponying up for this.  Just to fuck with Texas?  It's not like they are a player away.  Neither are we which is why it doesn't even piss me off.  But they should be stockpiling cash for inevitable coaching change and NIL roster turnover that comes with it after they shit the bed this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Fun fact, Myles Garret never won more than 8 games and their defensive ranking was never higher than 30. In fact in the NFL he's only won more than 8 games once.

Leads the league in taking off his helmet and attempting to bludgeon the qb with it tho

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can’t find a way to rationalize the thought process of PK’s scheme sucks ass, and he was carried by other great coaches so we are completely fucked butttttt if we don’t land Mathis or a better edge player then we are fucked also. Are we saying an average edge player will be enough to overcome a shitty scheme or the scheme might actually be good we just have absolute dog shit players? 
christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

15 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Interesting. Nathan Rawlins Kibonge posted that he's entering the portal and deleted it. We'll see.

https://247sports.com/player/nathan-rawlins-kibonge-46085715/

Edit: It's back

Interesting background.

Mid-year enrollee ... a four-star recruit by 247Sports and Rivals and a three-star prospect by ESPN ... ranked as the nation’s No. 171 overall player by 247Sports and No. 229 by Rivals ... rated as the No. 10 strongside defensive end by 247Sports and No. 15 by Rivals ... regarded as the country’s No. 67 defensive end by ESPN ... the No. 2 player in Oregon by 247Sports, ESPN and Rivals ... only played 10 football games in his high school career ... didn’t start playing until his junior year and had 2020 fall season wiped out due to the coronavirus pandemic ... registered 74 tackles, 28 tackles for loss and five sacks in 2019 as a junior ... originally committed to Washington State as a basketball player in June 2019 and was named the Portland Interscholastic League Player of the Year as a junior when he led Jefferson to a 24-2 record ... the tallest player in OU’s 2021 class ... chose the Sooners over Arizona State and Stanford.

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I can’t find a way to rationalize the thought process of PK’s scheme sucks ass, and he was carried by other great coaches so we are completely fucked butttttt if we don’t land Mathis or a better edge player then we are fucked also. Are we saying an average edge player will be enough to overcome a shitty scheme or the scheme might actually be good we just have absolute dog shit players? 
christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

You should probably change your username to ThinkingIsHard. We had personnel and scheme issues last year. Landing a true edge improves our personnel and let’s PK better run his scheme, which he showed last year he won’t change to match his personnel. Just Mathis won’t fix the defense, but it will help. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I just wonder what bringing in a guy that isn't 1st round/all conference talent and paying him that much does to the rest of your team.   Obviously we don't see the "salary" each player is making but I'm willing to bet Mathis would be getting paid multiples of what = talent is making.  You match Nebraska here does every starter want a raise?  Numbers aren't really workable at some point.  It's one thing for USC to pay the Biletnikoff winner.  That's clear value for a rental and worth every penny.  But paying a guy that seemingly projects out to an "above average starter" more than league minimum is just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The staff can/should influence who gets what. Just saying every transfer is all about NIL and has nothing to do with the coaching staff is a replay dumb, naive way to look at it.

And even if they decided Mathis ain’t worth it, if they don’t land a single edge transfer, it’s a huge failure on their part. We are fucked at the position without a solid starter coming in. 

I would take this statement further. We sucked on the edge last year and that played the largest role in our historically shitty defense. We signed Tapp, Finkley, and Burke and an injured linebacker. None of those guys are going to be difference makers this year. So, baring an unexpected couple of transfers, I would be surprised if our defense next year is any better than last year's defense. We have some better defensive backs but we did absolutely nothing to address our weaknesses.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would take this statement further. We sucked on the edge last year and that played the largest role in our historically shitty defense. We signed Tapp, Finkley, and Burke and an injured linebacker. None of those guys are going to be difference makers this year. So, baring an unexpected couple of transfers, I would be surprised if our defense next year is any better than last year's defense. We have some better defensive backs but we did absolutely nothing to address our weaknesses.

I would say our three weakest positions last year were Edge, LB, and OL. Combined portal signings: Zero.

Guess you could make an argument for WR outside of X, and TE, and QB, and ok wow we were really bad last year. 

Edited by Red Five
forgot one!
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)