2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The staff can/should influence who gets what. Just saying every transfer is all about NIL and has nothing to do with the coaching staff is a replay dumb, naive way to look at it.

And even if they decided Mathis ain’t worth it, if they don’t land a single edge transfer, it’s a huge failure on their part. We are fucked at the position without a solid starter coming in. 

If you can’t tell the difference between the two, then, well, I guess you belong here. 

You’re so dumb lmao

If you’re talking nationally, Mathis is absolutely not top 15. He’s a good bit great starter. Losing on him isn’t a massive deal, but not landing a single edge transfer absolutely is. 

I try to understand everything about NIL and am a proud contributor. There are definitely things I don't understand regarding current player deals and transfers. Since they are getting NIL money at a different time than the recruits we get on signing day, do the coaches have to consider the current payroll of our players? In other words, if Worthy hypothetically is netting 400k and Mathis is needing more than 650k, would the staff be worries about Worthy now being underpaid? Or am I overthinking this?

5 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I try to understand everything about NIL and am a proud contributor. There are definitely things I don't understand regarding current player deals and transfers. Since they are getting NIL money at a different time than the recruits we get on signing day, do the coaches have to consider the current payroll of our players? In other words, if Worthy hypothetically is netting 400k and Mathis is needing more than 650k, would the staff be worries about Worthy now being underpaid? Or am I overthinking this?

yes

If you’re talking nationally, Mathis is absolutely not top 15. He’s a good bit great starter. Losing on him isn’t a massive deal, but not landing a single edge transfer absolutely is. 

Agree with this. It’s not that Mathis is some can’t miss superstar that changes the trajectory of the defense. It’s that this staff missed on the best available and had no other options. And this is example #732793 of this staff putting a player on cruise control like they expect to get a signature, only to be left holding the bag.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is the thing. Yeah 600k is a lot. Is he worth it probably not. But you have to be all in if you are (money wise). He alone is not worth it. But if you were to keep spending to get other portals to add more value on the defense then yeah it’s worth it.

One guy isn’t going to fix this shit show. We need a lot of dudes.

• Hook 'Em 1

welp.

Honestly I don't begrudge the kid, but that is some desperation on Nebraskas part to pay that much. It's not like they are in any sort of place to contend for shit in their division, let alone the conference. But I am looking forward to the skewering that our coaches are about to receive. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

IT on Mathis

Spoiler

We’re expecting this to go Nebraska’s way when he announces momentarily. 

What I know:

— Texas put in a longstanding, aggressive effort to land him. 
— Scheme does matter to Mathis. We know this for a fact because Texas made some alterations in recruiting approach in recent weeks. It doesn’t matter that PK’s resume is much deeper than the competition’s, all that matters is what Mathis thinks. So yes, being able to play with his hand in the ground like he always has is something he wanted to continue doing.
— Talk of UT not wanting to win, or “never winning these types of recruitments,” is emotional gibberish.
— Mathis has handled this with the demeanor of a high schooler than someone who should have just been drafted according to those most concerned by his loss.
— Texas was always going to invest more portal capital in the offense (we stated that in December) but to only add Ryan Watts — not ideal. Maybe there’s still a surprise.
— The name only thread is a last ditch effort to jinx things.

What I think:

— Gary Patterson should have had a better handle on the pressure points in this one. It sounds like there were a lot of people involved and that convoluted the process. This is a world of agents and this wasn’t the standard modern portal recruitment, and those are already hard enough to navigate.
— The all eggs in one basket approach in a recruitment that goes down to the May 1st deadline has the staff in a tough spot for this upcoming season. I say move Moro Ojomo there right now. Ian disagrees, and I respect his opinion, but it makes the most sense to me. Texas doesn’t just have questions with the starting Jack, but also the depth. Move Moro,imo. We’ll likely have tons of time to debate that.
— This is the year before the year anyways and the young players will expedite their development this season, not that it’s my preference. Silver linings and all. 

What I don’t know:

— What the financial considerations are, or if Texas matched. I don’t know it for a fact, but I find it extremely hard to believe Texas wanted him as much as Nebraska but didn’t deliver on the deliverables. 
— It’s possible, though unlikely to me, that Texas saw the price tag as being too much and backed off. I would struggle to believe that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT on Mathis

Reveal hidden contents

We’re expecting this to go Nebraska’s way when he announces momentarily. 

What I know:

— Texas put in a longstanding, aggressive effort to land him. 
— Scheme does matter to Mathis. We know this for a fact because Texas made some alterations in recruiting approach in recent weeks. It doesn’t matter that PK’s resume is much deeper than the competition’s, all that matters is what Mathis thinks. So yes, being able to play with his hand in the ground like he always has is something he wanted to continue doing.
— Talk of UT not wanting to win, or “never winning these types of recruitments,” is emotional gibberish.
— Mathis has handled this with the demeanor of a high schooler than someone who should have just been drafted according to those most concerned by his loss.
— Texas was always going to invest more portal capital in the offense (we stated that in December) but to only add Ryan Watts — not ideal. Maybe there’s still a surprise.
— The name only thread is a last ditch effort to jinx things.

What I think:

— Gary Patterson should have had a better handle on the pressure points in this one. It sounds like there were a lot of people involved and that convoluted the process. This is a world of agents and this wasn’t the standard modern portal recruitment, and those are already hard enough to navigate.
— The all eggs in one basket approach in a recruitment that goes down to the May 1st deadline has the staff in a tough spot for this upcoming season. I say move Moro Ojomo there right now. Ian disagrees, and I respect his opinion, but it makes the most sense to me. Texas doesn’t just have questions with the starting Jack, but also the depth. Move Moro,imo. We’ll likely have tons of time to debate that.
— This is the year before the year anyways and the young players will expedite their development this season, not that it’s my preference. Silver linings and all. 

What I don’t know:

— What the financial considerations are, or if Texas matched. I don’t know it for a fact, but I find it extremely hard to believe Texas wanted him as much as Nebraska but didn’t deliver on the deliverables. 
— It’s possible, though unlikely to me, that Texas saw the price tag as being too much and backed off. I would struggle to believe that.

Hm. Why is Texas paying Fat Sweaty Gare $150K a year again?

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

FRnil_ZWUAQDUUP?format=jpg&name=large

Tf was this guy during all this? A part of me will always believe he took the job to fuck with us. Same with that OU coach a few years ago under Strong.

Gary was front and center. Mathis visited at least 3 times.

The dude handled his recruitment with more drama than the supposed drama king Agiye Hall. We probably held our position and he wasn’t bluffing. Nebraska it is. 

Both sides will likely suffer. Hopefully we find another guy with a quicker recruitment 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You should probably change your username to ThinkingIsHard. We had personnel and scheme issues last year. Landing a true edge improves our personnel and let’s PK better run his scheme, which he showed last year he won’t change to match his personnel. Just Mathis won’t fix the defense, but it will help. 

Har har it is to laugh. I never noticed how damn witty you are. Exhibit A: 36 games, 118 tackles, 30 TFL, 12.5 sacks. Exhibit B: 34 games, 119 tackles, 26 TFL, 12.5 sacks. That first one is Breckyn Hager and the second is Ochaun Mathis. Mathis was surrounded by other good defensive players, a few of them first and second round draft picks. Hager…well we know that story pretty well. Bringing in a jag isn’t going to help the defense unless we are willing to admit that our defensive roster is complete dog shit. If we admit that then the scheme issue argument bullshit isn’t relevant. No DC is going to change their scheme, that they’ve ran for 20 plus years and had massive success, in 6 months at a brand new job. Herman and co. recruited stars who had piss poor mental evals and didn’t give a fuck about what it takes to be a successful football player. Athletes, sure. Football players, very few. We are Texas though, so after venables pushes our shit in we will fire PK and you can bitch about the next DC not changing his scheme to fit his players. 

There are over 600 billionaires in the US.

Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones have demonstrated that billionaires can be morons who make bad decisions by throwing too much money at a player. 

Now multiply the actions of those two idiots times hundreds of billionaires who want to get talent to their favorite university. 

Get used to this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

can't wait for the sky is falling posts

It is strange. PK will be here 2 years and hasn’t had players to fit his preferred scheme. Wondering if Texas will ever run his 2-4-5 scheme as the base defense for a season. Guessing 3-3-5 with Sorrell/Ovie on the LOS this year or maybe he flirts with some 3-3 stack looks. Fuck it maybe pull out the Elko tape and go 4 DTs 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

We are Texas though, so after venables pushes our shit in we will fire PK and you can bitch about the next DC not changing his scheme to fit his players. 

Our defense could very well be worse this season but I don't see Sark firing PK or Del Conte forcing him to do so. I think we have crap seasons in 2022 and 2023 before any material change occurs. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Har har it is to laugh. I never noticed how damn witty you are. Exhibit A: 36 games, 118 tackles, 30 TFL, 12.5 sacks. Exhibit B: 34 games, 119 tackles, 26 TFL, 12.5 sacks. That first one is Breckyn Hager and the second is Ochaun Mathis. Mathis was surrounded by other good defensive players, a few of them first and second round draft picks. Hager…well we know that story pretty well. Bringing in a jag isn’t going to help the defense unless we are willing to admit that our defensive roster is complete dog shit. If we admit that then the scheme issue argument bullshit isn’t relevant. No DC is going to change their scheme, that they’ve ran for 20 plus years and had massive success, in 6 months at a brand new job. Herman and co. recruited stars who had piss poor mental evals and didn’t give a fuck about what it takes to be a successful football player. Athletes, sure. Football players, very few. We are Texas though, so after venables pushes our shit in we will fire PK and you can bitch about the next DC not changing his scheme to fit his players. 

PK changed his scheme. Not like Texas ran his 2-4-5 look most of the year. They were running a straight 3-4 by the Ok State game. There is a difference between not changing his scheme and not being successful by changing his scheme

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

PK changed his scheme. Not like Texas ran his 2-4-5 look most of the year. They were running a straight 3-4 by the Ok State game. There is a difference between not changing his scheme and not being successful by changing his scheme

Losing Jacoby Jones killed us. Once that happened the whole thing went to shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I remember when he first entered the portal TCU mods talked about his immaturity. That played out in this recruitment. The kid made a documentary for a portal decision like he was Will Anderson or something. And the moms public displays gave me muthahustla vibes

The graphic they had made was something. 

FACAC79B-91D8-49BC-BC18-E4F3FFD92387.jpeg

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna be interesting when businesses (like in Nebraska) pay big NIL money for a 1yr player only to see their results on the field suck, or they unfortunately get injured.  

Fuck CORN -- hope they suck this year !!!

And I also hope Mathis gets paid a ton by the Nebraska folks -- hopefully it's not a bunch of Cracker Barrel bucks... 😋

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)