2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If we lose Barron and Crawford, I see little reason to pay attention this season. In fact, I would agree with Macklin in that I would consider our management of the defense as negligence.

Texas made ZERO changes to the defensive coaching staff and practice approach - the staff that coached the worst defense in Texas football history - negligence is in the rearview mirror. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 5

What's really interesting to me is that with NIL as it is right now, there's a fundamental misalignment between who lays out the money and who reaps the tangible rewards of that spending. When an NFL team signs a player, yes they're hoping he will help them win, but there's an additional hope that a better team equates to more tickets sold, better TV viewership, more merchandise, and so on. Jerry Jones signs the checks, and Jerry Jones reaps the rewards.

For NIL, BMDs are laying out big money, but all the financial benefits of better players and a better team accrue to the program itself. The spending is for pride purposes only, and probably viewed in the same way as a donation to the athletic department. I think that's a system that's untenable in the long run for a variety of reasons. IMO, we're much farther down the road to true professionalization than many realize.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Crawford outplayed Thompson in the scrimmage imo. Thompson had the one strip play and everyone got excited but Crawford has far more upside. Barron has been our best cover guy from what’s been reported, we need to shut this shit down.

It’s either already been shut down or already happened. I’ll choose for now to believe that nobody posting a tweet from them thanking the coaches and teammates before announcing their transfer is a sign that they did not enter by the deadline. They are under no obligation to wait until their name appears in the portal system to announce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Scoop:

Portal

Do you guys have vertigo from this thing yet? Wild times.

Just when you think things are winding to a close, a few more names entered late that have UT’s interest. Who knows, perhaps a few more will become public before things are said and done.

Florida A&M outside linebacker Isaiah Land will receive an aggressive effort from Texas. We have no expectations in this recruitment as of now but just know they’ll gauge his interest.

Texas also has interest in Purdue safety Marvin Grant. Similar to land, we have no expectations at the moment.

Gerry already mentioned Iowa State’s Tyrique Milton as someone they like at wide receiver.

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If we lose Barron and Crawford, I see little reason to pay attention this season. In fact, I would agree with Macklin in that I would consider our management of the defense as negligence.

Wasn't May 1st the deadline to enter the portal and transfer without sitting out a year (unless you're a grad transfer)? If so, I don't think there are many players who will be transferring that aren't already in the portal. 

Both Crawford and Barron came out of last season believing they were the best CBs on the team and expected to start outside. Jamison stays and Watts transferred in. I think Barron can be worked out cause he still will get plenty of time in the slot. Crawford is who I’ve been more worried about. Yes he should win the safety job but there are people in his ear that believe he should still be a corner and head somewhere that will let him. We shall see over the next day or so if they entered the portal. 

So if boosters are the ones making contact with players to avoid technically tampering, what prevents a group like CFC from just going out and picking some players on their own to buy? I guess you have to make sure our coaches would take the guy but in a lot of cases I'd think that's an obvious yes (ex: literally any edge with a pulse).

In other words, I wonder if at some point the collectives end up driving this ship as much as the coaches at some schools.

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Wasn't May 1st the deadline to enter the portal and transfer without sitting out a year (unless you're a grad transfer)? If so, I don't think there are many players who will be transferring that aren't already in the portal. 

Yes, but it can take up to 48 hours to show up in the portal. So they could have submitted their paperwork to UT yesterday and still not be showing up yet. If they aren't in by the end of tomorrow, then yeah I think we can put it to bed.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

So if boosters are the ones making contact with players to avoid technically tampering, what prevents a group like CFC from just going out and picking some players on their own to buy? I guess you have to make sure our coaches would take the guy but in a lot of cases I'd think that's an obvious yes (ex: literally any edge with a pulse).

In other words, I wonder if at some point the collectives end up driving this ship as much as the coaches at some schools.

Nothing. 

Yes, but it can take up to 48 hours to show up in the portal. So they could have submitted their paperwork to UT yesterday and still not be showing up yet. If they aren't in by the end of tomorrow, then yeah I think we can put it to bed.

Sure. But I would think that if someone we were worried about losing actually submitted the papers, then we would probably have heard it from one of the $9.95ers to drum up clicks. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s either already been shut down or already happened. I’ll choose for now to believe that nobody posting a tweet from them thanking the coaches and teammates before announcing their transfer is a sign that they did not enter by the deadline. They are under no obligation to wait until their name appears in the portal system to announce. 

It's possible that they submitted their paperwork but now they and UT are negotiating NIL. And then if their needs get hit, they'll withdraw from the portal before even showing up (or could still be after). Basically the Amarius Mims move.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

You can’t honestly be naive enough to think there’s no coordination between coaching staff and money source when guys are being poached for 600k to 3 mil. 

Coaching staff communicates through back channels to money, lines up the funds, then communicates through back channels to the player. 

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What's really interesting to me is that with NIL as it is right now, there's a fundamental misalignment between who lays out the money and who reaps the tangible rewards of that spending. When an NFL team signs a player, yes they're hoping he will help them win, but there's an additional hope that a better team equates to more tickets sold, better TV viewership, more merchandise, and so on. Jerry Jones signs the checks, and Jerry Jones reaps the rewards.

For NIL, BMDs are laying out big money, but all the financial benefits of better players and a better team accrue to the program itself. The spending is for pride purposes only, and probably viewed in the same way as a donation to the athletic department. I think that's a system that's untenable in the long run for a variety of reasons. IMO, we're much farther down the road to true professionalization than many realize.

This is what's so messed up about it to me. There's really no practical/economic value tied to these deals because it's all just coming from (wealthy) fans who aren't even in the program.

I think you are underestimating the power of emotional fandom though. A lot of pro sports owners don't give a shit about profits, they just want the pride of winning a trophy. They'll spend for decades to get there.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What practice approach changes would you have liked to see in the 14 closed spring practices?

Total number of repetitions per practice, per unit, and across the individual player base needed to go up dramatically and did not. There are simply too many players standing and watching in individual, group, and full team drills -- and too few reps even for the players that are repping the most. That would've been a good jumping off point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t honestly be naive enough to think there’s no coordination between coaching staff and money source when guys are being poached for 600k to 3 mil. 

Coaching staff communicates through back channels to money, lines up the funds, then communicates through back channels to the player. 

Accurate. Narduzzi called Riley. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not saying there isn't coordination. Of course there is.

What I'm saying is, hypothetically, it is possible for a collective to drive the ship without coordination if they feel like a staff is pussy-footing around. Ex: UT officials are scared of tampering so won't chase anyone who isn't in the portal (hypothetically. Idk if that's true). What if CFC goes out on their own and offers $5 mil to Dallas Turner? Clearly the coaches wouldn't turn him away. (again, that's a ridiculous hypothetical but just illustrating the point)

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I believe the Coordinators got three years deals and the assistants originally signed two year deals.

Banks and Bo Davis got 3 year deals originally. Every other position coach got 2.

Flood and PK were 3 year deals.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Total number of repetitions per practice, per unit, and across the individual player base needed to go up dramatically and did not. There are simply too many players standing and watching in individual, group, and full team drills -- and too few reps even for the players that are repping the most. That would've been a good jumping off point. 

Maybe that plays a factor, but I have a tough time believing the number of practice reps is the reason Ovie Oghoufo couldn't set the edge or why Vernon Broughton stood directly vertical after every snap or why BJ Foster was scared of contact.

You can have only have 22 players on a field when you are doing team drills so not sure what else you are wanting unless you think the tempo is crap and guys are playing grab ass between snaps.

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

wtf. why. 

The appearance of coaching stability for recruiting purposes. 

they can still be fired at any time, would just cost the AD a little more. The thing to be able to know is if this additional guaranteed money is enough to make them less likely to be fired in the near term. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

What if this was actually the better hire, but Texas fans saw "Stoops" and lost their minds and our campaign to get this hire scuttled before it could happen actually led to this moment in time? 

Do you have any data to support this? Like, Mike Stoops has gone elsewhere and is being productive? Or he was productive somewhere else without his brother? Anything like that? No, you don't have that kind of data. I've posted it before, but the people at Bama think he's a joke and a dipshit, and they tend to like the guys that Saban brings in for rehabilitation.

We were all just a bunch of mouthbreathing morons and you had it the whole way, right? Except, no, this wasn't just a case of Texas fans being idiots because of someone's last name and you have nothing to support the alternative ending being better, other than Choate also sucking. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe that plays a factor, but I have a tough time believing the number of practice reps is the reason Ovie Oghoufo couldn't set the edge or why Vernon Broughton stood directly vertical after every snap or why BJ Foster was scared of contact.

You can have only have 22 players on a field when you are doing team drills so not sure what else you are wanting unless you think the tempo is crap and guys are playing grab ass between snaps.

We just had 0 players drafted. It hasn't been going much better before. I can guarantee you it isn't because the whole team isn't actively practicing during 11 on 11s. It's probably also not why kids are wanted to transfer at the last possible minute. 

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This is what's so messed up about it to me. There's really no practical/economic value tied to these deals because it's all just coming from (wealthy) fans who aren't even in the program.

I think you are underestimating the power of emotional fandom though. A lot of pro sports owners don't give a shit about profits, they just want the pride of winning a trophy. They'll spend for decades to get there.

How is that any different than when those same boosters were giving money under the table for decades. The NIL push simply legitimized the ability to pay players whatever is necessary while also enabling the "crowdsourcing" of funds to access even more money. In other words, when it was all done under the table, it wasn't practical for every fan who might want to kick in $100 to contact the right intermediary, get the payer paid, etc... Now, we have "legitimate" NIL collectives openly soliciting funds to pay players. They can hide behind whatever bullshit semantics that want about "charitable endeavors", but the only thing that really matters is how much money they can raise to get player "X" to their campus, and keep player "X"  from going to another campus. Pretending this is anything other than pay for play is fucking ridiculous. The willingness of players to switch schools for more money is hard to ignore. 

And as soon as another school's NIL contingent decides they want to pay more than Player "X's" going NIL Deal, there's not a lot you can do to stop it other than pony up more cash. Its worse than the "road to true professionalization" because at least in the pros, you have contracts that enforce who has the right to your services. The model that was decided upon for the NCAA is a fucking joke. I don't blame the players, if I was a college player I would grab as much as the system allows me to grab, as there is no guarantee I'll ever get to the pros. 

12 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Yep, I can’t wait til Riley meets someone he’s fucked over pregame at midfield and gets punched in the face.

The number of coaches that will meet USC on the field that wont also have examples of players transferring into their program in a similar fashion will be zero. Maybe the $ figures wont be as high, and the players quite as well-known, but if you arent competing in the NIL free for all, chances are your program would never be on USCs schedule to begin with. Its how the game is played now. Everyone knows the rules.....there are no rules (or damn few). 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

when it's about getting players involved with the community and raising significant awareness for charities that people don't know about. 

No one cares but I don't believe this at all. NIL is about paying players to play football for your school when they would have gone elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What benefit did BMDs get for paying to renovate the locker room? For building the South End Zone? 

Really, they just want to have close access to the program. If the coaches know that I gave $5M to keep X at Texas, then maybe they'll invite me into the locker room after games and let me do Zoom one-on-one meetings with Sark in the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

one of the things that pisses me off most about the NIL world that we live in is that it gives the $9.95 sites a new source of bullshit to peddle to the masses year round.  simple recruiting "news" was bad enough.  transfer portal "news" was worse.  now NIL related transfer news is downright obnoxious.  

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You realize they have more than one field and can also have people doing stuff on the side while it's not their turn, right? Or instead of having four guys in line for each individual/group drill, cut it down to 2 guys in line and just have more lines.

44 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Ive had two people laugh in my face when they asked me what they got out of it, and I told them we get to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

image.thumb.png.8f1628fa823a912f364a006831f5e693.png

I think the Jordan Addison "dozen schools" thing is interesting. I think it's obvious with what is going on there.

The Ewers departure from fuckOSU seemed like a deal where I'd expect to learn Ewers was putting out a lot of feelers on his own behalf, and receiving a few. Would not be surprised if Texas would be one. 

17 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

At a minimum bring back the sit out for a year until they figure things out

fuck off with this trash take.

this should *NEVER* come back unless the same thing is in place for coaches - position coach up to HC.

allowing for free movement of coaches (often just because the other job is slightly better/offers more money) but not players is shit. there is finally a system in place to let kids do what coaches have been doing literally since day 1. it's the right thing and the right move.

-

side note, but free transfer has absolutely benefited Texas SIGNIFICANTLY more than it has hurt. Texas has turned over like 40% of their roster YoY. Using the 247 transfer portal system and looking at the 1-10 players based on rank, the top 5 are all players they brought in (Ewers, Neyor, Billingsley, Hall, Watts) and #5-10 (cooks, thompson, adimora, wiley, moore) being outgoing players. when your players are transferring to TTU, TCU, SMU you are ok. when your players are transferring to Bama, Georgia, etc then you have a problem

seriously, take 2 min to look at the transfer portal and list of players who left Texas: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24028

how many of those guys are actual losses? you could argue Cooks maybe, but that has a lot to do with shit depth at LB position.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Scott Frost just got hit with a one year show cause, wonder if this is the juice Nebraska boosters use to fire him

This is hysterical. We're in the wild west of pay for play and tampering but the NCAA is "busting" Nebraska because an analyst did some coaching. Which also happens at every school.

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)