2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Guy in the seats behind us said “I had a dream last night that we blocked a FG and ran it back for a TD” before the game kicked off. Right before that snap he said “OK guys, here comes the block and TD”…

b6e7dad5d3de561dce3182a9c68bc080.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Bama 247, in an Addison thread.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.932419b27446d4f85b0ef8c8af1bd087.png

I have no idea what's going on with Addison, but I am sure he won't go to the school where our former OC and many other coaches coach. /Bama mod

So did USC not have their NIL money lined up? 2-3 mil is a lot of fucking money to throw around.  Caleb Williams and Mario Williams weren’t small NIL deals and they just spent another 15ish mil firing Helton and buying out Riley’s contract. That’s a lot checks to write. 

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So did USC not have their NIL money lined up? 2-3 mil is a lot of fucking money to throw around.  Caleb Williams and Mario Williams weren’t small NIL deals and they just spent another 15ish mil firing Helton and buying out Riley’s contract. That’s a lot checks to write. 

They also have brought in another 13 guys from the portal.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I've seen one report from Pete Thamel (ESPN) that claims knowledge of a bama visit.  All other reports just reference the Thamel report. 

On 5/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Big Woodrows said:

USC On3 mod re: Addison's visit to USC

"I'm told USC visit went extremely well, but Addison will take a few more visits. Alabama will be one of those visits. Don't know the other school."

Just going off this. I believe Burton also mentioned this.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sorry if I missed something, but is there any evidence that USC fucked up their visit other than that one article written by a high schooler that was based off Farrell quotes from before the USC visit?

I've seen much less credible sources put this place into an apoplectic tailspin. So this will suffice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

That's a good story, but he just wants to get paid and play with his buddy Caleb.  This is an easy call.  9.95ers blow smoke, news at 11.

Mario Williams is Caleb's buddy. Not sure Addison knows him very well, beyond both of them growing up around DC.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought I mentioned this but to be clear, Riley was full of shit with the total value of his offer. He underestimated the market and overestimated what his backers would post for a one year transfer. Does he cajole them into ponying up now that the bluff has been called? We’re about to find out. Texas won’t be losing due to NIL though, irrespective of outcome. 

Any idea why is he not visiting Alabama now? 

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Any idea why is he not visiting Alabama now? 

I'm guessing the sequence of events is something like this:

1. USC recruits him into the portal with a promise of big NIL
  2. Bama, Texas, and others see him in the portal and decide to get involved
  3. He visits Texas as a favor to his old coach
  4. Texas puts a very attractive NIL offer on the table
  5. Still visiting USC because that was the destination all along
  6. Bama decides they can't/won't match the Texas NIL so they're out

So it now boils down to can/will USC match our NIL, or if not, does he decide to stick with the program that recruited him into the portal or go with the high bidder (us)?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexasPride10 said:

FWIW: when I was a Sr. in high school, I took a recruiting trip to Texas (for swimming) and then I took one to Auburn the following week. The whole time I was at Auburn, all I could think about was how much I liked Texas. I was supposed to visit Michigan after Auburn, but I cancelled the Michigan trip because the Auburn trip convinced me I definitely wanted to go to Texas. Now, I'm not saying this is exactly what happened with Addison. But this is exactly what happened with Addison. Put him in the calculator. 

This. I choose to believe this. Addison’s in the calculator… 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Chargers aren’t Lambos.  🤷 

This recruitment really does seem to capture the sea change we are experiencing due to NIL. He could go play with a Heisman winner at QB, for the GOAT coach, on a team that is the odds on favorite to win a national championship this year, and they’ve had to drop out of the running for his services because they can’t afford him. 

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

One thing I do want to pinpoint is that Caleb Williams is a bigger running threat than passing threat. 

well, the game against us distorted those numbers a bit. Williams averaged 22 ypc against us but only 4.7 ypc against the rest of blOU's schedule. Against other opponents his arm was doing much more than his legs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I also imagine the tax implications of playing in Cali.  If we're talking about a million dollar deal, you're probably paying 100k more in taxes.  I'm sure housing and car situation will be taken care of for him at either spots.  Pretty sure Lambo Austin can give him a 1 year lease for an instagram post.  

One thing I do want to pinpoint is that Caleb Williams is a bigger running threat than passing threat.  Teams later in the year were able to contain him a bit.  All of those players are also new to USC.  SC was a 4 win team last year.   I would argue that is a bigger rebuilding job than Texas right now.  Quinn is known for his elite arm and deep ball.  That's going to benefit him more than playing next to Caleb Williams.  He also gets to play for Marion again and Sark is still the only coach in recent history that can say his WR won a heisman trophy.

If Addison is truly going into the portal with an open mind, I like our chances.  I'm just not sure if they already agreed on a deal with USC prior to entering.  

This. Williams is not a guy I want to line up against, but he was an above average passer at best outside of the RRS. He had a bit of the Casey Thompson vibe going when he blew out lesser teams and played shitty against good ones. The upside with Ewers as a passer is >>>>>>>, and being able to line up with Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor in whatever combination will ensure he can't be doubled for any substantial amount of time in any game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

One thing I do want to pinpoint is that Caleb Williams is a bigger running threat than passing threat.

I'm on board with the idea that Ewers is a better fit than Williams, other than CW being more of a known commodity, but this is not really true. He was a true Freshman and you're going off of the rapelor and ISU games where they got him like Odom got Card. He can run, but it's not the best part of his game.