2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Whatever happened to Demas? Does anybody even want him? 

I can't imagine anyone's super interested after he assaulted his girlfriend. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in juco at some point but I think his D1 career is probably over barring a miracle. Maybe OU or Baylor, are slimy enough to take a flier on him, I guess?

Edited by campcrunk

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

I can't imagine anyone's super interested after he assaulted his girlfriend. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in juco at some point but I think his D1 career is probably over barring a miracle. Maybe OU or Baylor, are slimy enough to take a flier on him, I guess?

Christian Bale What GIF

Joe mixon says

college gameday sport GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

What about Deion?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That's the reason I'm mad. He only took two OVs and it appears Texas didn't even try to get one.

The LB position better be incredibly deep and talented in the 2022 season if they are this confident they don't need a guy of this caliber.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

That's the reason I'm mad. He only took two OVs and it appears Texas didn't even try to get one.

The LB position better be incredibly deep and talented in the 2022 season if they are this confident they don't need a guy of this caliber.

Yes, he visited Ole Miss and Texas A&M and now is returning to the University of North freaking Texas. It's obvious there was something sketchy going on or it was a money grab play. There's no reason to believe Texas getting involved would have changed the outcome. 

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

They must love Tucker-Dorsey

The Texas defensive staff seems freaking unable/unwilling of taking advantage of the portal:

You need a safety, but don't really pursue any.

You need a LB. Oh look, an all conference G5 guy. A great piece to sure up a big need in the defense. What do you say? "Nah"

You need an edge. Let's not get serious with Mathis and lose him to Nebraska.

Who needs a defense?

PK and Choate acting like Gary isn't waiting in the wings to take their jobs.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

The Texas defensive staff seems freaking unable/unwilling of taking advantage of the portal:

You need a LB. Oh look, an all conference G5 guy. A great piece to sure up a big need in the defense. What do you say? "Nah"

Who needs a defense?

Mathis was more a function of not liking the new scheme next season. PK wanted to stand him up some and he didn't like that. The money was there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Mathis was more a function of not liking the new scheme next season. PK wanted to stand him up some and he didn't like that. The money was there. 

Doesn’t really matter why we lost him. We’re now going into the season with Ovie, Sorrell, and guys who’ve never played before. They had to get an edge transfer this offseason and failed. There were more guys than just Mathis who would improve what we have on campus, because we don’t even have a single good starter, let alone any depth. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Who needs a defense?

I'm not going to defend Kwiatkowski and Choate on anything. That said, Texas was plenty serious with Mathis. In the end, Mathis chose Nebraska for 2 reasons. First, he liked how they presented their scheme and he did not like, at all, how Texas presented its scheme. Second, no matter how much Patterson is trying to push Texas to some of his guys now, he spent 2 decades shitting all over Texas as part of his program's identity. Mathis found that whole dynamic as straight up odd. And money wasn't an issue, as Texas offered to post more than Nebraska could ultimately offer.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not going to defend Kwiatkowski and Choate on anything. That said, Texas was plenty serious with Mathis. In the end, Mathis chose Nebraska for 2 reasons. First, he liked how they presented their scheme and he did not like, at all, how Texas presented its scheme. Second, no matter how much Patterson is trying to push Texas to some of his guys now, he spent 2 decades shitting all over Texas as part of his program's identity. Mathis found that whole dynamic as straight up odd. And money wasn't an issue, as Texas offered to post more than Nebraska could ultimately offer.

Perhaps I was being hot-headed adding Mathis in the original post.

Regardless, as @Burt Macklin said, you needed edge guys. You are now in a situation if you have an injury at LB or DE you could be screwed. They play Bama week 2, and I doubt Texas gets out of that game injury free. Texas needed a DE, a Safety, and a LB. Even if it was just a year long rental. Tamper if you need to, but you have to get the guys because nobody is going to want to hear excuses.

Edited by OnAComputer

7 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Perhaps I was being hot-headed adding Mathis in the original post.

Regardless, as @Burt Macklin said, you needed edge guys. You are now in a situation if you have an injury at LB or DE you could be screwed. They play Bama week 2, and I doubt Texas gets out of that game injury free. Texas needed a DE, a Safety, and a LB. Even if it was just a year long rental. Tamper if you need to, but you have to get the guys because nobody is going to want to hear excuses.

Sure. I wasn't addressing the overall take. Just want to keep data straight when I know better. 

After reading a couple of the college football magazines and catching up across the country a little, I still think Texas 2022 is one of the hardest teams in the country to get a read on, directly because of the defense. The failure of the program to land key transfers, the intransigence regarding scheme, not addressing any staff changes, the weak talent in key spots currently on campus, and the question marks that are new guys arriving all work together to give me a complete lack of confidence. 

The offense has a chance to be top 10 in the country if Ewers is vaguely close to as good as advertised. They have 3 solid-ish returning IOL, a great backfield, a great WR corps, and a talented TE group. Seven Loss Steve is one of the best playcallers in the country. If they get quality production at LT/RT and Ewers is good, they're putting up 50 PPG against an okay schedule. 

On defense, I can only hope that they've pushed out the cancers and the weak and now they're ready to step up meaningfully.

• Hook 'Em 8

Surly is really out of whack right now...

• Saty with positive posts
  • OnAComputer just posting negative stuff all the time now
  • Immamac sleeps thru the big Surly Crash 

Next thing yah know SydneyCarton will be training to whip ctj's ass in the 40 at Louisiana-Monroe tailgate Sept. 3rd

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Oh quit your bitching until you start paying us tuition.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sure. I wasn't addressing the overall take. Just want to keep data straight when I know better. 

After reading a couple of the college football magazines and catching up across the country a little, I still think Texas 2022 is one of the hardest teams in the country to get a read on, directly because of the defense. The failure of the program to land key transfers, the intransigence regarding scheme, not addressing any staff changes, the weak talent in key spots currently on campus, and the question marks that are new guys arriving all work together to give me a complete lack of confidence. 

The offense has a chance to be top 10 in the country if Ewers is vaguely close to as good as advertised. They have 3 solid-ish returning IOL, a great backfield, a great WR corps, and a talented TE group. Seven Loss Steve is one of the best playcallers in the country. If they get quality production at LT/RT and Ewers is good, they're putting up 50 PPG against an okay schedule. 

On defense, I can only hope that they've pushed out the cancers and the weak and now they're ready to step up meaningfully.

It’s June and you are coming around to my way of thinking from February after landing Ewers and the stud OL. I said we would get a quality WR and we did, we would get a couple other dudes that played receiver and were better than the trash we had last year, double check, and we would get a TE, and that will cause us to be so fucking good on offense ( I trust Sark as a schemer and a play caller) that we can go 10-2 by accident. Might it be 9-3?  Sure. Could it be 11-1?  Yeah, that’s feasible. But our defense will have to be historically bad and awful and shaving points AND Ewers will have to get hurt or suck for us to fail to win 9 games. 
That could happen, but I’m going to choose to believe happy times are here again, relatively speaking, and we are going to collect enough talent to solve the sarkaloser problem going forward. 
I think top 10 offense undersells this skill talent. Bama will have the advantage on the edge to make us look bad at times (hopefully not all the time), but nobody else on our schedule presents a problem there. 

• Hook 'Em 5

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s June and you are coming around to my way of thinking from February after landing Ewers and the stud OL. I said we would get a quality WR and we did, we would get a couple other dudes that played receiver and were better than the trash we had last year, double check, and we would get a TE, and that will cause us to be so fucking good on offense ( I trust Sark as a schemer and a play caller) that we can go 10-2 by accident. Might it be 9-3?  Sure. Could it be 11-1?  Yeah, that’s feasible. But our defense will have to be historically bad and awful and shaving points AND Ewers will have to get hurt or suck for us to fail to win 9 games. 
That could happen, but I’m going to choose to believe happy times are here again, relatively speaking, and we are going to collect enough talent to solve the sarkaloser problem going forward. 
I think top 10 offense undersells this skill talent. Bama will have the advantage on the edge to make us look bad at times (hopefully not all the time), but nobody else on our schedule presents a problem there. 

Counterpoint:

3-1 against a third of the schedule is baked in in what should be an insurmountable gap in roster quality: ULM, UTSA, Kansas (lol) Ws, Alabama L.

Sark has had huge talent advantages before. There's nothing about his track record that tells you to expect anything better than maybe one game over .500 on the remaining two thirds of the schedule. That gets you to 8-4 as a reasonable ceiling, with rom for it to be a game or two worse. It is hard for me to expect anything beyond that. The defense, specifically lack of a pass rush, is going to cost this team games. Playing a freshman QB, LT, and other OL is going to cost this team games.

What you describe could happen, sure, but it's on the extreme right side of the bell curve in my mind.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Counterpoint:

3-1 against a third of the schedule is baked in in what should be an insurmountable gap in roster quality: ULM, UTSA, Kansas (lol) Ws, Alabama L.

Sark has had huge talent advantages before. There's nothing about his track record that tells you to expect anything better than maybe one game over .500 on the remaining two thirds of the schedule. That gets you to 8-4 as a reasonable ceiling, with rom for it to be a game or two worse. It is hard for me to expect anything beyond that. The defense, specifically lack of a pass rush, is going to cost this team games. Playing a freshman QB, LT, and other OL is going to cost this team games.

What you describe could happen, sure, but it's on the extreme right side of the bell curve in my mind.

image.gif.86ad7af7ae303c0c564da1503d1c7f19.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Counterpoint:

It will happen if the offense is that good. The question is, is the offense that good?  He said 50 a game. That’s what I expect (taking away the Alabama game). I suggest that if we score 50 every game (other than Alabama) we will go 11-0 in those games. We would have won every game last year had we scored 50 at the end of the 4th quarter (yes- even Kansas). 
If we average 50 by alternating scoring 30 and 70 then yes- we can go 8-4. 
If we put up say- at least 42 every game but Bama I can’t see us being worse than 9-2 in games we score in the 40’s. I mean- it could happen but it would be really really unlikely.  

Now- if we aren’t that 50 (ish) point per game juggernaught he referenced and I claimed we would be In February then all bets are off. But my thesis is that we will be so good on offense (if Ewers stays healthy and is good) that the defense is irrelevant to a 10-2 season. 

*we won’t be in the title hunt bc of the lousy defense and aren’t a real contender bc the line won’t be good enough to hold up against the best 4 or 5 or 8 defenses in the country that can just whip an offensive line with talent all over the place and negate what your skill position guys can do. I don’t think anyone other than Alabama is that on our schedule though. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It will happen if the offense is that good. The question is, is the offense that good?  He said 50 a game. That’s what I expect (taking away the Alabama game). I suggest that if we score 50 every game (other than Alabama) we will go 11-0 in those games. We would have won every game last year had we scored 50 at the end of the 4th quarter (yes- even Kansas). 
If we put up say- at least 42 every game but Bama I can’t see us being worse than 9-2 in games we score in the 40’s. I mean- it could happen but it would be really really unlikely.  

Now- if we aren’t that 50 (ish) point per game juggernaught he referenced and I claimed we would be In February then all bets are off. But my thesis is that we will be so good on offense (if Ewers stays healthy and is good) that the defense is irrelevant to a 10-2 season. 

*we won’t be in the title hunt bc of the lousy defense and aren’t a real contender bc the line won’t be good enough to hold up against the best 4 or 5 or 8 defenses in the country that can just whip an offensive line with talent all over the place and negate what your skill position guys can do. I don’t think anyone other than Alabama is that on our schedule though. 

Until we see this OL and Ewers under actual live fire no one really knows because to score 40+ a game in Sark's O we will have to be able to run the ball.

I think just by having Patterson to help with scheme and self scouting we will improve.  8-4 should be the floor though.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Until we see this OL and Ewers under actual live fire no one really knows because to score 40+ a game in Sark's O we will have to be able to run the ball.

I think just by having Patterson to help with scheme and self scouting we will improve.  8-4 should be the floor though.

We were good at running the ball last year with that abortion of a line. It was the one thing we did pretty well. It should only improve this season.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Texas were to hypothetically average 50 a game, I am pretty confident that would be what it looked like given the inexperience at key positions. Even if Ewers is the number one pick in the 2024 NFL draft, he is going to have a few off games as a starter, protected by a true freshman LT, rattled in the Cotton Bowl or on the road, etc.

But also, Ohio State led the nation last year at 45 ppg. Sark's Alabama teams and the juggernaut that was 2019 LSU got really damn close, basically there at 47-48 ppg. Lincoln Riley, Kyler Murray, and however many NFL draft pick OL averaged 48 in 2018. Unbeaten UCF averaged 48 in 2017 and Riley/Mayfield averaged 45. No one has averaged 50 in the past five years at least, not going to bother going back further. Texas isn't going to average 50 and I would happily bet $100 to charity that they won't average 45.

I understand it's not about the literal number 50 though. So really, what is being entertained here is whether or not Texas is going to be up there with the best offenses in recent CFB history; those led by QBs that went #1 overall in that year's draft. I expect the offense to be better and more consistent, but not all time great offense in the sport good. I agree this is a 9+ win team if that happens, obviously. I just think that has to happen for this to be a 9+ win team, and the chances are slim that the Texas offense is that good.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If Texas were to hypothetically average 50 a game, I am pretty confident that would be what it looked like given the inexperience at key positions. Even if Ewers is the number one pick in the 2024 NFL draft, he is going to have a few off games as a starter, protected by a true freshman LT, rattled in the Cotton Bowl or on the road, etc.

But also, Ohio State led the nation last year at 45 ppg. Sark's Alabama teams and the juggernaut that was 2019 LSU got really damn close, basically there at 47-48 ppg. Lincoln Riley, Kyler Murray, and however many NFL draft pick OL averaged 48 in 2018. Unbeaten UCF averaged 48 in 2017 and Riley/Mayfield averaged 45. No one has averaged 50 in the past five years at least, not going to bother going back further. Texas isn't going to average 50 and I would happily bet $100 to charity that they won't average 45.

I understand it's not about the literal number 50 though. So really, what is being entertained here is whether or not Texas is going to be up there with the best offenses in recent CFB history; those led by QBs that went #1 overall in that year's draft. I expect the offense to be better and more consistent, but not all time great offense in the sport good. I agree this is a 9+ win team if that happens, obviously. I just think that has to happen for this to be a 9+ win team, and the chances are slim that the Texas offense is that good.

Yeah but I’m presupposing Alabama and maybe someone else throttled us pretty good and have mentioned that multiple times (if you can solve the OL issues with a freaky DL you can utterly shut us down.). I would bet it’s not historically rare to see offenses average 45-50 for the season when removing the lowest or lowest two performing games in the season. 
I’m not going to do all that research with recalculating after taking out the worst or worst two performances, but by definition it has to improve those numbers. My suspicion  is somewhere between 3-7 points a game whether you are removing 1 performance or 2. I would bet it’s not a historical unicorn to talk about teams averaging “50” in their best 10 games of the regular season. 

Hell if we’d have just scored 41 every game last year we’d have gone 10-2. 
what I posit is with this team we can score 42 points a game 8 or 9 times in the year, we go undefeated in those games where we get to the 42 (or X & 1) and then we split the other couple games we don’t get there. That’s not near as crazy a sounding ask I don’t think. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hell if we’d have just scored 41 every game last year we’d have gone 10-2. 
what I posit is with this team we can score 42 points a game 8 or 9 times in the year, we go undefeated in those games where we get to the 42 (or X & 1) and then we split the other couple games we don’t get there. That’s not near as crazy a sounding ask I don’t think. 

I would say put the bottle down... But I haven't either

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
Booze

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Who are you and what have you done with @closetojumping!?  Did you take a trip down to South America and decide to do ayahuasca?

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Who are you and what have you done with @closetojumping!?  Did you take a trip down to South America and decide to do ayahuasca?

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I’d say that those offenses above may have posted a 50+ppg avg if they were on the gas the entire game, and didn’t let off in 4th qtrs where games were secured. 

“All gas, no brakes” may actually be a thing for us, though (although in an unfortunate way). If Ewers is adequate/good, an OL plays decent…… I could see our ppg inflated due to never letting up the whole game (out of necessity).

A 45-13 game going into the 4th usually has the winning team playing backups and taking the air out of the ball. Maybe 1 TD at most. A 45-37 game going into the 4th is a different ballgame. 

With the assumption that QB/OL play is adequate/good, it’s not out of the realm that 50ppg can be achieved.

Edited by The Deuce
  • Hook 'Em 2

On a more serious note, without the necessary transfer to buff up key weak points on defense I see it as wholly unrealistic to expect to beat Alabama or even Baylor (a team that will return elite lines that will dominate us on both sides). That's 2 highly likely losses. Assuming we go 3-0 against ULM, UTSA, and Kansas, we're going to need to go 6-1 against the Big 12 minus Kansas and Baylor. The RRS is a coin toss no matter how good either team is and we know this because Charlie Strong's worst team beat an Oklahoma team that went otherwise undefeated that had Baker at QB, Mixon and Perine at RB, and Shephard and Westbrook at WR all while getting humiliated by Notre Dame and choking away at home to Cal on a missed XP. Oklahoma State should also be a reasonably difficult team to beat. I think with this team we're looking at 8-4 and 9-4 with a bowl win given the massive improvement in line play I expect in the back half of the year. To see us at 10-3 after a bowl game I'd need to expect an improvement on defense that I don't think the transfers we got can produce.

• 2 weeks later...
On a more serious note, without the necessary transfer to buff up key weak points on defense I see it as wholly unrealistic to expect to beat Alabama or even Baylor (a team that will return elite lines that will dominate us on both sides). That's 2 highly likely losses.

This mentality never ceases to amaze me.

We left plenty of points on the board versus Baylor. Lost by 7 and had the ball with a chance to tie on the last possession. We led into the 4th. It was at Baylor. They had more dudes drafted than we did.

And oh by they averaged about 7 TFLs per game. They had about half that versus us.

So why in the hell is that a highly likely loss?
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This mentality never ceases to amaze me.

We left plenty of points on the board versus Baylor. Lost by 7 and had the ball with a chance to tie on the last possession. We led into the 4th. It was at Baylor. They had more dudes drafted than we did.

And oh by they averaged about 7 TFLs per game. They had about half that versus us.

So why in the hell is that a highly likely loss?

I'm in the same boat.  I see a 9 win season as the floor

• Hook 'Em 2