2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Some nice TEs hitting the portal. I think Billingsley would be a great get considering the prior connection with Banks and Sark and his familiarity with this offense, so I'm not too concerned that he had an offyear with Bill Ofuckin Brien.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Some nice TEs hitting the portal. I think Billingsley would be a great get considering the prior connection with Banks and Sark and his familiarity with this offense. 

It really depends on what we want to do with the position. If we are looking for an on the line blocking tight end, he would not be a good fit. He did well when he was used more like an H back last year. 

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

In the thread about Sanders:

1555923668_unknown1.png.adbffa975a532a7c8d7cd8a604dbfd4b.png

To add on to this, OB had a note last night saying GP was on campus in a working capacity. The job posting that is presumed to be for GP has a start date of 1/16 so probably no announcement before then. They expect him to be around this weekend for any visits that occur

Nothing else worthwhile on OB

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

to be clear, you watched any Texas games this year...and determined that the team's largest need is defensive end, not linebacker?

and beyond that, the choice is a guy who is a good but not great DE vs a guy who was a dang good LB but stuck behind the next great Bama pass rusher (Dallas Turner)?

Defensive end was clearly the weakest position on the defense this year. That made the rest of the defense look terrible. 

2020 Ossai and Jones made first-year-LB DMO and Juwan fuckface Mitchell look above average. 

The drop-off in EDGE production in 2021 was astronomical. Thornton would consistently do nothing. Ovie would sometimes make a play, bust most other times get blown off the ball so bad an entire side of the defense would get compromised. 

The defense managed to play average football when Jones was healthy. The rest of the time, hapless. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does Sark have some Saban-esque tricks up his sleeve to play with the scholarship numbers if we somehow landed all three of Mathis, Sanders, and Billingsley? I thought I read that we were sitting at 31 out of 33 available spots filled thus far. 
No walk-ons get schollies and some of the dead weight gets gently nudged into the portal.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

to be clear, you watched any Texas games this year...and determined that the team's largest need is defensive end, not linebacker?

and beyond that, the choice is a guy who is a good but not great DE vs a guy who was a dang good LB but stuck behind the next great Bama pass rusher (Dallas Turner)?

To be fair to him, isn't the one positive of last year that no one is wrong when debating our greatest position of need?  Besides RB and X, of course 

i will happily prioritize the high ceiling guy who has 3 to play 3 over Mathis.
not that Mathis is trash, but let's not act like is some fucking rockstar - saw his sacks half from year over year (9 to 4) and 2 of those 4 came in 1 game vs OU. he had a bad back half of the season vs the front half. even last year he had 33% of his 9 sacks in 1 game vs TTU - 2 against La Tech and 2 against Kansas.
image.png.2df300e2385bf7b3b4dbe90baec677e3.png
so, yes. i will happily take Sanders and his upside over Mathis if those are my two options.

Sure. If you think Sanders has more upside and think that’s worth prioritizing, that’s reasonable. Not how I’d approach the edge situation right now but there’s an argument to be made for that. It’s also not at all related to the positional nonsense you posted the first time around. Much better take this time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

not picking on this guy in particular, mainly because he was there 4 years, but does anyone see these as worthless in the age of the portal/free transfer.  I get a grad transfer, you and the school made a commitment and completed it, but who cares if some sophomore transfers out because he only played in 3 games.
I suppose these will become like the "OMG, the coach didn't talk to his team before everyone found out he was leaving or he didn't have a team meeting" type things.  no one gives a shit, pack your bags and get the F out.  
Meh, I'll allow it. The kid did spend 4 years there and has an attachment to the school/players etc. Let him have some closure by saying a public goodbye.

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

maybe Josh should try asking a Texas side. We've been mentioning Sanders as a possibility for a week or so.

You know how it is.  Ain’t about being correct.  It’s about being first.  

Could go hop on any fans board and say sources have said player X is coming to school Y and it’ll get shared. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

EricNahlin

This should be a busy week with transfer movement. As a one-stop reference here's a list of guys we're currently tracking. We believe a couple more relevant names could be added; one wide receiver (at least) and and also an off-the-ball linebacker we're tracking to see if he elects to transfer from his current school.

We still don't expect the staff to pursue an offensive lineman.

Reminder, transfers are allowed to take official visits within 7 days of classes starting. Classes start at UT on the 17th so we're within than window.

WR Mario Williams, Oklahoma (2021 HS class): Originally from Tampa. Currently on an official visit to Texas. He's a clear priority target for the football staff with the baseball staff lending an (outfield) assist. USC is the favorite, however Texas is all in. Baseball matters to him, and he'd rather be closer to Florida.

TE Jahleel Billingsley, Alabama (2019 HS class): Originally from Chicago. Talented receiving tight end but he's spent a lot of time in Saban's doghouse. He had a very poor game on Monday. Sark and Jeff Banks will have all the info they need here and will know if he's worth the risk. It's possible UT would be seen as the best chance to repair his draft stock.

TE Michael Trigg, USC (2021 HS class): Originally from Tampa. We haven't heard anything regarding UT but he could fit what they're looking for. His step-brother is Mykel Williams, who was On3's No 4 prospect in the nation for the most recent class. He signed with Georgia, so Trigg might be heading that way as well.

EDGE Drew Sanders, Alabama (Buck) (2021 HS class): Originally from Denton. Originally committed to OU to play tight end but flipped to Bama late to play defense. He's an NFL talent at both positions. Despite modest stats at Bama, he's highly talented and would start at nearly every school in the country. As such, the market is going haywire. It's tough to get an accurate read on where UT currently stands, but we will say, Sanders entering the portal wasn't a surprise to IT. We'll see where he elects to visit in the coming days.

EDGE Ochaun Mathis, TCU (Jack, maybe Buck) (2018 HS class): Originally from Manor. Texas recruited him a little originally but he wasn't viewed as a great fit for the TITE front. Production dropped off significantly this past season despite playing two more games. Traits and ability are not in doubt and he'd fill a major need.

This is so useful to fans who don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of high school talent that some of you do. I'll also appreciate occasional links to players who are generally known to the regulars here but not to we the great unwashed.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Saw Hunter Johnson is in the portal, not really Texas related but what's his story? I remember him being a highly touted high school prospect.

https://247sports.com/Player/Hunter-Johnson-32003/high-school-56338/

Clemson, then Northwestern, now transferring again. I guess just didn't pan out?

I might be wrong on this, but I feel like I watched Johnson play during 2020 at NW and thought "man, that guy wasn't even close to being worth the hype" and that was after the plucky starter, who'd beaten Johnson out after the fans and media handed Johnson the job, tore his knee up in a game and Johnson came in for him. I don't know if I'm getting players wrong on that, but I swear I watched that unfold last year between NW and somebody. 

Really helpful, I know. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I might be wrong on this, but I feel like I watched Johnson play during 2020 at NW and thought "man, that guy wasn't even close to being worth the hype" and that was after the plucky starter, who'd beaten Johnson out after the fans and media handed Johnson the job, tore his knee up in a game and Johnson came in for him. I don't know if I'm getting players wrong on that, but I swear I watched that unfold last year between NW and somebody. 

Really helpful, I know. 

I was in attendance for NW @ Wisconsin in 2019 and couldn't believe he had been a 5* recruit.  Wisconsin defense was pretty stout but the guy looked so lost out there. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, if @BurntOrange&White is making you feel bullied, it might be time to change handles and start over. 

I've always felt like that, just come out and said it. He isn't the only one either. I ain't changing shit and I doubt he will either. He lives on here and is impossible to avoid, just irritating at times.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Longhornlove said:

I've always felt like that, just come out and said it. He isn't the only one either. I ain't changing shit and I doubt he will either.

I think he's pretty much a weasel, myself. But, he's an awfully voluminous poster and, in the end, we see eye-to-eye on the best way to continually fuck up a recruiting forum. We're in the business of posting recruiting news, rumors, and non sequiturs, Longhornlove. That is a responsibility we have to take pretty seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, dcar00 said:
not picking on this guy in particular, mainly because he was there 4 years, but does anyone see these as worthless in the age of the portal/free transfer.  I get a grad transfer, you and the school made a commitment and completed it, but who cares if some sophomore transfers out because he only played in 3 games.
I suppose these will become like the "OMG, the coach didn't talk to his team before everyone found out he was leaving or he didn't have a team meeting" type things.  no one gives a shit, pack your bags and get the F out.  

Meh, I'll allow it. The kid did spend 4 years there and has an attachment to the school/players etc. Let him have some closure by saying a public goodbye.

that is why I said not really picking on this guy because he was there 4 years.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)