2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So uh.......which is it?

The guys I know believe the the first statement to be true. That our linebackers and safeties were so bad that it played a major role in how we deployed the DLine. 

the questioning of Bo coaching up PK’s scheme is just my personal thoughts. I don’t remember Bo every having a unit that looked as bad as ours and I’m pretty sure he has always coached an attacking style. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Interesting. Offense finished 2nd in the Big 12 and defense finished 8th in pts allowed

Offense was 25th in pts per Drive compared to 90th for the defense

But yeah sure, the offense is the bigger issue. 

We couldn't throw a forward pass in almost 1/3rd of the games we played.

Our offensive statistics got inflated the whole season because of Rice and Texas Tech.

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I didn't see that in there. I assume it's about Guilbeau ?

Rumorending

The rumorendo of the week is Jaylon Guilbeau found himself arrested after a car chase with the cops. This on the heels of his recent transgression that saw him suspended from the program but likely to return. He is still going to return.

Per a Houston-area source, Guilbeau was caught speeding well over the limit which increased the charges making it seem he was evading arrest. In reality, it’s a severe speeding ticket. We’re not sure of the exact charge, but it’s not going to end up being a felony.

His biggest crime? He didn’t pick up a talented member from the 2023 class on his way into Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

Interesting. Offense finished 2nd in the Big 12 and defense finished 8th in pts allowed

Offense was 25th in pts per Drive compared to 90th for the defense

But yeah sure, the offense is the bigger issue. 

Nice moving of the goal posts there.  I never said the offense was the bigger issue.  Adding one defensive player who is good but not great wont fix the defense.

It’s not that complicated. The team would improve more by adding a good QB than a good edge.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

We couldn't throw a forward pass in almost 1/3rd of the games we played.

Our offensive statistics got inflated the whole season because of Rice and Texas Tech.

And still won games. The defense is a disaster and an abortion. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Nice moving of the goal posts there.  I never said the offense was the bigger issue.  Adding one defensive player who is good but not great wont fix the defense.

It’s not that complicated. The team would improve more by adding a good QB than a good edge.

I desperately want Mathis on this team - but he is not a 'great' player and he won't have near the effect on the success of the team that Quinn will.

But I definitely still want him at DE.

Please.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not moving goal posts. A quality edge player has the chance to dramatically improve the defense, which was the biggest problem for Texas. 

Texas went out and made me quite happy in getting Ewers, as you know I have said QB play was terrible last year, but I do not think that will have a bigger impact in 2022 than a quality edge player would have. Longer term way bigger return, but the offense for all its inconsistency did  enough to go bowling at a minimum. 

Lets put it this way. If the offense improved 20% on scoring they would score 42.36 pts instead of 35.3 and move from 18th to 3rd in the country

If the defense improved 20% they would give up 24.88 pts instead of 31.1 and move from 99th in the country to 53rd 

Edited by Codaxx

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From the Nebraska 247 board:

Ochaun's NIL package is NOT associated with the University of Nebraska. 

FNBO, Ameritas, Woodhouse Auto Group, Ernie's in Ceresco, and a property management group out of Lincoln/Omaha have put together a total compensation package allegedly worth around $620,000.

i don't believe that amount for a second.

if a guy has been in the portal for months, who had 4 sacks and 7 TFL last year while starting all 12 games can get $620k then good for him. he isn't shit obviously, but there is NO way he is worth that much money.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

if a guy has been in the portal for months, who had 4 sacks and 7 TFL last year while starting all 12 games can get $620k then good for him. he isn't shit obviously, but there is NO way he is worth that much money.

Agreed. He is not worth having to explain to your other players why they aren't getting 650k.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

Agreed. He is not worth having to explain to your other players why they aren't getting 650k.

that's exactly why.

on the flip side, can you imagine the noise Charles Thompson is going to make if Mathis is making that much? he may get so pissed he puts Casey in the portal again!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Nebraska doesn’t have much going for them so puffing their chests about beating Texas for a transfer might be their Super Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not moving goal posts. A quality edge player has the chance to dramatically improve the defense, which was the biggest problem for Texas. 

Texas went out and made me quite happy in getting Ewers, as you know I have said QB play was terrible last year, but I do not think that will have a bigger impact in 2022 than a quality edge player would have. Longer term way bigger return, but the offense for all its inconsistency did  enough to go bowling at a minimum. 

Lets put it this way. If the offense improved 20% on scoring they would score 42.36 pts instead of 35.3 and move from 18th to 3rd in the country

If the defense improved 20% they would give up 24.88 pts instead of 31.1 and move from 99th in the country to 53rd 

The inference that you're trying to force people to draw here is that adding 1 experienced edge to this defense could improve it by 20%.

You got any basis for that wag, or just throwing out numbers to legitimize your shitty take? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The inference that you're trying to force people to draw here is that adding 1 experienced edge to this defense could improve it by 20%.

You got any basis for that wag, or just throwing out numbers to legitimize your shitty take? 

i didn't read it that way, the 20% seemed to just be a random number showing there was way more room for improvement on defense than offense, which is true.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT works both ways, it assumes Ewers adds 20% to the point total also. It was a merely a way of conceptualize the issues. After watching last year, I think it is quite apparent which side of the ball has coaches that scheme despite deficiencies. I thought that was obvious based on how 2021 played out. 

Edited by Codaxx

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

19 minutes ago, pacman said:

You two are not going to like college football going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

The guys I know believe the the first statement to be true. That our linebackers and safeties were so bad that it played a major role in how we deployed the DLine. 

the questioning of Bo coaching up PK’s scheme is just my personal thoughts. I don’t remember Bo every having a unit that looked as bad as ours and I’m pretty sure he has always coached an attacking style. 

I generally buy the first part. PK has had plenty of defenses that featured attacking DL. Several of those guys were high draft picks. He also usually featured single high looks very prominently, often as his base defense. But that requires a FS with range. The shit we saw last year does not match PK's usual schemes. 

That said, even if he was trying to compensate for the back end, he did so poorly. It was an absolute failure. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What are y'all's numbers for how many we'll see jumping ship over the next few days? My over/under is 6.5.

You including Hookfin in that number? I still have 3 more names I would bet on seeing

Merril

SGW

Prince

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

5 since Tuesday. Myron Warren, Jaden Hullaby, Jordon Thomas, Dajon Harrison, Kelvontay Dixon.

Okay, yeah it's over then if those aren't included. Unless it's 6.5 more....I'll say under on that but barely.

Including the 3 today going forward I'll say over at 6.5

Edited by BurntOrange&White
edited with CTJ's clarification

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We're at 4 already? Are those included in that 6.5? If so I'll take the over.

No, today forward. So there's 3 today, as apparently the Thomas one blew by me. 

I don't expect the staff to head into the summer with any players that they think can't contribute. So I don't expect the 85 man cap to be the real issue. They've been complaining about numerous roster issues for 16 fucking months now, so these idiots better not be heading into a new season with what they view as dead weight. Surely they're not that exceptionally stupid, right? Right, guys? ... Guys?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Viper said:

You including Hookfin in that number? I still have 3 more names I would bet on seeing

Merril

SGW

Prince

Any mix of Hookfin, SGW, Merrill, Prince, Liebrock, Abiara, Ibraheem, Guilbeau (I don't care what IT thinks on him), Sweat, Coburn, Juan Davis, K Thompson, and Collins.

So we're at 3 and more coming. But yeah, Hookfin seems like a certainty.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Agreed, but I would be surprised if they let any of the OL depth take a hit. Merrill isn't actually depth though so who knows. I'd add Ish, Liebrock, and Chucky Wright to your list. 

from the scrimmage game, wouldn't be surprised to see Garth also portal..but then again.. who the hell would take him after seeing him get handled?

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)