2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Last day for this thread. Please follow @Sandbagging Steve's stellar example and store your embarrassing diatribes here so we can summarily avoid them. 

Thanks for your cooperation

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY ABOUT ME, YOU LITTLE BITCH? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I GRADUATED TOP OF MY CLASS IN THE NAVY SEALS, AND I'VE BEEN INVOLVED IN NUMEROUS SECRET RAIDS ON AL-QUAEDA, AND I HAVE OVER 300 CONFIRMED KILLS. I AM TRAINED IN GORILLA WARFARE AND I'M THE TOP SNIPER IN THE ENTIRE US ARMED FORCES. YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME BUT JUST ANOTHER TARGET. I WILL WIPE YOU THE FUCK OUT WITH PRECISION THE LIKES OF WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE ON THIS EARTH, MARK MY FUCKING WORDS. YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH SAYING THAT SHIT TO ME OVER THE INTERNET? THINK AGAIN, FUCKER. AS WE SPEAK I AM CONTACTING MY SECRET NETWORK OF SPIES ACROSS THE USA AND YOUR IP IS BEING TRACED RIGHT NOW SO YOU BETTER PREPARE FOR THE STORM, MAGGOT. THE STORM THAT WIPES OUT THE PATHETIC LITTLE THING YOU CALL YOUR LIFE. YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD, KID. I CAN BE ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, AND I CAN KILL YOU IN OVER SEVEN HUNDRED WAYS, AND THAT'S JUST WITH MY BARE HANDS. NOT ONLY AM I EXTENSIVELY TRAINED IN UNARMED COMBAT, BUT I HAVE ACCESS TO THE ENTIRE ARSENAL OF THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS AND I WILL USE IT TO ITS FULL EXTENT TO WIPE YOUR MISERABLE ASS OFF THE FACE OF THE CONTINENT, YOU LITTLE SHIT. IF ONLY YOU COULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT UNHOLY RETRIBUTION YOUR LITTLE "CLEVER" COMMENT WAS ABOUT TO BRING DOWN UPON YOU, MAYBE YOU WOULD HAVE HELD YOUR FUCKING TONGUE. BUT YOU COULDN'T, YOU DIDN'T, AND NOW YOU'RE PAYING THE PRICE, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT. I WILL SHIT FURY ALL OVER YOU AND YOU WILL DROWN IN IT. YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD, KIDDO.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Being followed by the staff since his name hit. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Good catch. Looks like Marion, Banks, Terry Joseph, PK and Sarkisian.

He’d be an interesting pickup. His HC was just in Austin speaking at the UT football coaches clinic. 

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

That would be a shocker, I’m thinking it was a DB. X has been far too vocal and invested, i think he legitimately loves Texas.

Has nothing to do with being invested or love/not love Texas - its all about the leverage that players now have.  They'd be stupid to not take advantage of it.  The player doesn't matter - the story is that players now have this power and will exercise it - regardless of how 'invested' they are in a team.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Has nothing to do with being invested or love/not love Texas - its all about the leverage that players now have.  They'd be stupid to not take advantage of it.  The player doesn't matter - the story is that players now have this power and will exercise it - regardless of how 'invested' they are in a team.

Your point makes perfect sense but still it would really shock me if it was him. He’s probably making bank already and has a chance with two years of Ewers to make himself a top 10 pick. It might be all about money but the logic still says he is in the best position where he’s at to succeed. I just think a Jahdae Barron or a Byron Murphy are more likely to have been the player in question than X.

Looks like GA and USC are 2 schools who have learned how to play the transfer game.

interfere, interfere, interfere, and then dangle $$$$. what's the ncaa gonna do? write a sternly worded letter? we don't have the balls to do either.

still fucking funny as shit they we chose to join a league of cheaters but want to play by some imaginary rules that we think everyone is following. it's a fucking recipe for even more disaster.

• Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Bobby Burton says we almost lost someone to the portal yesterday. But we got him paid. Didn't say who, obviously.

There’s really only two guys on this roster who haven’t already used their free transfer and who anybody wants bad enough to recruit before they enter.   And one wasn’t going anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Your point makes perfect sense but still it would really shock me if it was him. He’s probably making bank already and has a chance with two years of Ewers to make himself a top 10 pick. It might be all about money but the logic still says he is in the best position where he’s at to succeed. I just think a Jahdae Barron or a Byron Murphy are more likely to have been the player in question than X.

But the point is that he could have threatened to hit the portal with no intention of ever leaving.  Its like an NFL player sitting out camp until they get a new deal - sometimes all it takes is the threat.  I have no idea if it was 'X' and I really don't care.  Any player with his power, who doesn't maximize their NIL, is cheating themselves.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Nothing should be shocking given Addison portal news. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Looks like GA and USC are 2 schools who have learned how to play the transfer game.

interfere, interfere, interfere, and then dangle $$$$. what's the ncaa gonna do? write a sternly worded letter? we don't have the balls to do either.

still fucking funny as shit they we chose to join a league of cheaters but want to play by some imaginary rules that we think everyone is following. it's a fucking recipe for even more disaster.

Add bama and yeah

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

X would be my guess. 

It was Ewers: He's looking at Bama - He would get a chance to redshirt and learn the system instead of being thrust into action before he was ready. Plus, supposedly Maalik has been coming along faster than expected. Campbell and Banks and Neto were also approached, but they first want to see what UT has to offer.

• Haha 3

it was really bad timing to suck shit through a straw during Charlie and then be completely average during Herman before the bomb dropped.

the programs that have been at the top can say come here and enjoy the winning, you'll make money.  the others have to pay way over market.

aggy probably did it right.  just go all out, illegally, to try to get to the top so you have some leverage later.

the ironic thing is some of these good college players who have been told only x% of college players are making the NFL, average NFL career is 4 years, etc., are finally going to listen...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Honest question, are we thought to have recruited anyone into the portal, or are we just waiting to see who pops up? Watts maybe?

I was told that we're Texas and that everyone is born wanting to play here. Our logo, name, and the fact that Austin offers so many "things to do" is enough motivation alone. Why would any serious football player even consider Tuscaloosa, Norman, or Lincoln, NE???

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I was told that we're Texas and that everyone is born wanting to play here. Our logo, name, and the fact that Austin offers so many "things to do" is enough motivation alone. Why would any serious football player even consider Tuscaloosa, Norman, or Lincoln, NE???

Dad? 

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There’s really only two guys on this roster who haven’t already used their free transfer and who anybody wants bad enough to recruit before they enter.   And one wasn’t going anywhere. 

Others have alluded to plenty of our guys being recruited elsewhere, so I don’t think this is right. Plenty of young guys that other teams would like to have even if they haven’t produced a ton for us yet.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Others have alluded to plenty of our guys being recruited elsewhere, so I don’t think this is right. Plenty of young guys that other teams would like to have even if they haven’t produced a ton for us yet.

Murphy, Worthy, Collins, Sweat, Crawford, Barron and Blue have been recruited by other squads this spring. Some harder than others. Worthy was paid handsomely to ensure he will continue to be a part of the program. He was the guy recruited the hardest followed by Collins and Murphy. There are programs that think Murphy could be a game changer and some that think they could better use Collins. A Big 12 team wanted Sweat pretty bad. The coaches are aware of all of this. 

• Hook 'Em 8

53 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

yep. it is unlimited free agency.  you have to be tampering to have some leverage over players currently on your roster.  there should be no rules(dates to declare, pay for play, having to sit at all at any point)at all.  if we are going to do this, lets go all the way. 

treat them exactly like any worker.  you can leave one job and start another job the next day if you want.

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it was really bad timing to suck shit through a straw during Charlie and then be completely average during Herman before the bomb dropped.

the programs that have been at the top can say come here and enjoy the winning, you'll make money.  the others have to pay way over market.

aggy probably did it right.  just go all out, illegally, to try to get to the top so you have some leverage later.

the ironic thing is some of these good college players who have been told only x% of college players are making the NFL, average NFL career is 4 years, etc., are finally going to listen...

What they did isn't illegal and it's not even against the rules, for the most part. NCAA has made rulings on some of this stuff in the past and has left loopholes in the rules even after some reform bills. It's not illegal. There's only one place you're getting that line of thinking but unfortunately they're off limits for discussion here without a Firestorm.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep. it is unlimited free agency.  you have to be tampering to have some leverage over players currently on your roster.  there should be no rules(dates to declare, pay for play, having to sit at all at any point)at all.  if we are going to do this, lets go all the way. 

treat them exactly like any worker.  you can leave one job and start another job the next day if you want.

Texas will over complicate and make dumb ass holier than thou reasons why

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Im an idiot, but how in the fuck do we not have NIL money for every player/recruit on the team lined up? Better yet, how are we getting beat by other schools at this? Fucking clown show

I wonder if the thinking was that giving Mathis $600k+ sets an unrealistic floor of what players should expect to be paid at Texas. If it gets out that that Texas paid him that much, then Jaylan Ford and Alfred Collins and Kitan Crawford are all gonna think they deserve that much. Etc. That's too high a price to pay. 

But it doesn't really matter because they're still gonna say "Mathis got that much from Nebraska. You should pay me the same or I'll find someone that will."

Shit's bananas out there....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

I wonder if the thinking was that giving Mathis $600k+ sets an unrealistic floor of what players should expect to be paid at Texas. If it gets out that that Texas paid him that much, then Jaylan Ford and Alfred Collins and Kitan Crawford are all gonna think they deserve that much. Etc. That's too high a price to pay. 

But it doesn't really matter because they're still gonna say "Mathis got that much from Nebraska. You should pay me the same or I'll find someone that will."

Shit's bananas out there....

I agree. Although i also think every.single.scholarship.player. on our roster should be pulling down big money. Like at least six figures at a minimum

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I agree. Although i also think every.single.scholarship.player. on our roster should be pulling down big money. Like at least six figures at a minimum

just wait until they start bitching to HR...do we have a VP of Diversity for the Ath Dept?  I see an opportunity.

• Haha 1

NIL is specifically not a salary or pay for play. This is why some of us who have done things in the NIL arena are pissed about how all this is going down. 

comparing what a player makes in salary to play football in a professional league is not what the market is. The market is the endorsement deals those guys are getting, which for some stars is as much or more than their contracts, but for the vast majority it is not all that much. This is the problem in college, people are conflating NIL with market value of skill and contribution on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

NIL is specifically not a salary or pay for play. This is why some of us who have done things in the NIL arena are pissed about how all this is going down. 

comparing what a player makes in salary to play football in a professional league is not what the market is. The market is the endorsement deals those guys are getting, which for some stars is as much or more than their contracts, but for the vast majority it is not all that much. This is the problem in college, people are conflating NIL with market value of skill and contribution on the field. 

I mean, yeah, ideally. But the NCAA has already shown it's not going to police this in any meaningful way. That's why Aggy's laughable "NIL" shenanigans in the last class are going to go completely unpunished. I know you've done a ton of work to keep things on the up-and-up. And it's very commendable. But it doesn't seem to matter. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, yeah, ideally. But the NCAA has already shown it's not going to police this in any meaningful way. That's why Aggy's laughable "NIL" shenanigans in the last class are going to go completely unpunished. I know you've done a ton of work to keep things on the up-and-up. And it's very commendable. But it doesn't seem to matter. 

What should happen, is that the NCAA should absolutely hammer aTm. Like just short of the death penalty. "NIL is not permission to pay high school football players cash to attend your school."

But, it won't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, chad.ihrig said:

whew, what a relief! Fresh off of all that help with Mathis and now this!?! Fat Gare really moving mountains for the program, isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're barking up the wrong tree. None of this is Gary Patterson's fault. This is the only thing that gets me. Year after year, fans scream at the wrong people.

Below is not regarding you:

It gets really ugly regarding our players, coaches and BMDs on GameDay. Really nasty and it is uncalled for. Not only is it childish (to the point of threats and even beyond that), but it's misguided anger. At least point the finger at the guilty party if you're going to do it. And keep it civil and don't make threats.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

You don’t think pancake factory mattered?

You're misunderstanding my point. All of these efforts matter. They've had a major impact in recruiting talent to Austin. They've very good things.

I'm saying that structuring these NIL deals in a way that conforms with existing NCAA regulations doesn't seem to matter to the NCAA. What's going to happen is that boosters are going to give millions to an "NIL collective" which will then have the opportunity to recoup those investments with individual NIL deals. And whether or not those investments are recouped will not matter.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Yup….

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)