2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What should happen, is that the NCAA should absolutely hammer aTm. Like just short of the death penalty. "NIL is not permission to pay high school football players cash to attend your school."

But, it won't. 

I say let’s just continue to operate by different rules than everyone else. Surely our ethics and the university of Texas degree will win out in the end!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

aggy probably did it right.  just go all out, illegally, to try to get to the top so you have some leverage later.

23 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

What they did isn't illegal and it's not even against the rules, for the most part. NCAA has made rulings on some of this stuff in the past and has left loopholes in the rules even after some reform bills. It's not illegal. There's only one place you're getting that line of thinking but unfortunately they're off limits for discussion here without a Firestorm.

Just to make sure we're absolutely clear

You two chucklefucks believe that overpaying 18yo's before they hit campus was the appropriate reaction to cfb free agency, and that aggy's payments to recruits and their families was entirely above board?

You're either being aggressively contrarian or are a case study in Dunning-Kruger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What should happen, is that the NCAA should absolutely hammer aTm. Like just short of the death penalty. "NIL is not permission to pay high school football players cash to attend your school."

But, it won't. 

They aren't breaking the rules. This stuff has been legal for a while. Not only has the NCAA said so but even during reforms they've deliberately left open loopholes to keep it legal. You just can't pay players directly. Your line of thinking is all coming coming out of the 40.

If you want get after ATM, the criminal coverups, illegal practices, many other immoral stuff going on over there would be a better statement to make. It's the wild, wild west over there.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You two chucklefucks believe that overpaying 18yo's before they hit campus was the appropriate reaction to cfb free agency, and that aggy's payments to recruits and their families was entirely above board?

You're either being aggressively contrarian or are a case study in Dunning-Kruger. 

Look at Georgia and what they got by them doing the exact same thing. Look at Alabama, look at Clemson, look at Ohio state. All have done it to get to where you want to be. Doing anything other is pissing in the wind. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You're misunderstanding my point. All of these efforts matter. They've had a major impact in recruiting talent to Austin. They've very good things.

I'm saying that structuring these NIL deals in a way that conforms with existing NCAA regulations doesn't seem to matter to the NCAA. What's going to happen is that boosters are going to give millions to an "NIL collective" which will then have the opportunity to recoup those investments with individual NIL deals. And whether or not those investments are recouped will not matter.  

It's not that they don't conform to the rules of NIL. We always knew there was going to be a bit of wild west action. The problem is these well funded boosters seem to think they are buying players and their abilities, when typically if that is the engagement you would have performance based pay, which is not only explicitly excluded from NIL, but has economic impact as well. I have had an offline argument with CTJ about this thing specifically where I don't believe that people are so stupid they are willing to part with millions of dollars with no benefit over an extended period of time. The counter claim is that fanatics turn their brains off and start making purely emotional decisions. I don't think the wealthy types continue to make these types of decisions without at least a little bit of dopamine in return and I don't think we are in store for much dopamine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What it comes down to is a we have a losing culture. You can blame it on all sorts of different things, but the reality is we don’t find ways to win. 

The best question to ask is how did we get so good under Mack Brown? If you can answer that, you can see the path forward to fixing this deal. There is a shocking amount of naivety in our fan base regarding the answer to that question.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Barbacoa said:

What it comes down to is a we have a losing culture. You can blame it on all sorts of different things, but the reality is we don’t find ways to win. 

The best question to ask is how did we get so good under Mack Brown? If you can answer that, you can see the path forward to fixing this deal. There is a shocking amount of naivety in our fan base regarding the answer to that question.

By hard work, dedication, and just a little luck? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Because the SWC was paykg players directly (which IS against the rules..it must be done by a 3rd party and to a 3rd party). They all got busted by a journalist egged on by Texas to investigate. After that, no one, not even out of state, wanted to buy players in the state again. It took a decade for Saban to figure out how to do it legally and then the state was open for business again. It was the begining of the end. Don't get me wrong, Mack's laziness and other factors sped up the process, but it was coming. And Mack isn't completely above board in recruiting, he's just not at a systematic level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY ABOUT ME, YOU LITTLE BITCH? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I GRADUATED TOP OF MY CLASS IN THE NAVY SEALS, AND I'VE BEEN INVOLVED IN NUMEROUS SECRET RAIDS ON AL-QUAEDA, AND I HAVE OVER 300 CONFIRMED KILLS. I AM TRAINED IN GORILLA WARFARE AND I'M THE TOP SNIPER IN THE ENTIRE US ARMED FORCES. YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME BUT JUST ANOTHER TARGET.

*GUERILLA

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Good kids from good families that graduate

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't think the wealthy types continue to make these types of decisions without at least a little bit of dopamine in return and I don't think we are in store for much dopamine. 

Two common ways to get the wallets to open up...

1 - Win

2 - Change coaches

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

listen chucklefuck, you have a severe reading comprehension problem.  I said aggy probably did it right because the NCAA isn't gonna do shitall to them. If you knew how to read you would know that means I am saying it was illegal.

Furthermore, asswipe, I didn't say anything about what was appropriate you dumbfuck.

Did you graduate from Texas?  oh the irony in mentioning dunning-kruger when you have 3rd grade reading comprehension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

Murphy, Worthy, Collins, Sweat, Crawford, Barron and Blue have been recruited by other squads this spring. Some harder than others. Worthy was paid handsomely to ensure he will continue to be a part of the program. He was the guy recruited the hardest followed by Collins and Murphy. There are programs that think Murphy could be a game changer and some that think they could better use Collins. A Big 12 team wanted Sweat pretty bad. The coaches are aware of all of this. 

I will be glass half-full guy and just reiterate this point. We didn’t lose a single guy that anyone cared about. At least we are doing that much right so far. Another crap season and there will likely be an exodus, but they managed to get through this portal season doing something right at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like 3 million+ for one year rental of Biletnikoff winner.

I love takes like this from Carlo as if paying these kids is stealing from the coffers of the poor, downtrodden NCAA. How will they keep their lights on?

There is excess in the market right now as it’s a bidding war for talent. Valuations will normalize as this pace isn’t sustainable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I love takes like this from Carlo as if paying these kids is stealing from the coffers of the poor, downtrodden NCAA. How will they keep their lights on?

There is excess in the market right now as it’s a bidding war for talent. Valuations will normalize as this pace isn’t sustainable. 

Disagree, what you are going to get is team like aggy that say now or never and that year they will invest in everyone.. different team the next year. There will be no stabilization for a long time. At that point it will be the teams that played the game that will still sit at the top being known as the ones most likely to pay because they at least saw dividends and their programs rise. What it will also do in this time is completely level all non top tier teams into basically juco programs that lose all their top talent each year.  You are either all in or all out. The middle will die.

1 minute ago, Reese Bennett said:

So how does a deal like this Addison/USC thing get done in a few hours? Are there any enforceable rules against tampering? Seems like there had to be an uncle or high school coach or trainer acting as the middleman before the portal announcement.

I think they probably just called him directly on speakerphone outside of the NCAA office because they don’t do shit. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The point of NIL wasn’t for players to get compensated at their market value?

The point of NIL was to compensate them for their name, image, and likeness market value, not for their value to the football team.  Though in some cases it does correlate, in others it will not.

The entire point was to allow students to maximize their value they have created in their own local market and we have now bastardized it into a form of a free agency period. Part of this is due to the free transfers tied to COVID and part is due to the blatant tampering occurring across all NCAA sports.

I have embraced the idea of trying to maximize whatever we can due to my allegiance to the university, but that does not mean I can't see how this will eventually have tremendous consequences to college athletics.

We are rapidly straying into unintended consequences land, and in many ways, things may become worse for the common everyday player if we continue to treat NIL as an acquisition cost and not a reward for performance at school.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Are there really hardcore cfb fans that didn’t see this coming? The end game of all of this was never going to be pretty. We just happen to have a chance to be one of the survivors. 

This. I remember as soon as the NIL ruling came down, it would come to this

not sure why anyone is shocked, at all. Also not sure why we as a university werent better prepared

• Hook 'Em 1

The middle of college football has been becoming irrelevant long before NIL. Is it going to get more top heavy? Obviously, but the end results every year will be pretty damn similar to what we’ve been seeing for years. If we can figure our shit out it doesn’t change shit for me as a Texas fan. If we ultimately shit the bed with NIL and continue to suck ass I’ll agree it ruined the sport though.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. I remember as soon as the NIL ruling came down, it would come to this

not sure why anyone is shocked, at all. Also not sure why we as a university werent better prepared

I don’t understand the whole “UT isn’t prepared” thing. If we the school/BMDs really weren’t prepared, I don’t think we would have corralled millions of dollars for Ewers to come back. I think, to CTJ’s and Barbocoa’s earlier points, there is some strange selectiveness to when the admin/staff are allowing the NIL machine to ramp up. I don’t know if that’s incompetence in seeing the bigger picture (I.e. that NIL needs to be big for defensive players too) or if that’s us as fans not being able to see another side of this (that the staff has some plans for where they want money deployed and don’t want it squandered upfront).

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Disagree, what you are going to get is team like aggy that say now or never and that year they will invest in everyone.. different team the next year. There will be no stabilization for a long time. At that point it will be the teams that played the game that will still sit at the top being known as the ones most likely to pay because they at least saw dividends and their programs rise. What it will also do in this time is completely level all non top tier teams into basically juco programs that lose all their top talent each year.  You are either all in or all out. The middle will die.

But now aggy has to maintain this on a year over year basis. If they raise the stakes for the next class, the previous class threatens to transfer unless they get more money. There will not be any sustainable success under that model and schools will be discouraged to use it.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

But now aggy has to maintain this on a year over year basis. If they raise the stakes for the next class, the previous class threatens to transfer unless they get more money. There will not be any sustainable success under that model and schools will be discouraged to use it.

You only have to pay more than the next guy. Aggy has spent hundreds of millions the past few years for little results and you don't think they will come up with tens of millions for a championship program?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You only have to pay more than the next guy. Aggy has spent hundreds of millions the past few years for little results and you don't think they will come up with tens of millions for a championship program?

Georgia has been paying much longer than Aggy and it took Saban hiring a baboon for his OC for them to win

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

4BE97122-642F-4AE7-A859-D7184B6DA6BB.jpeg.653690f5e2ae994181c2f7d67f557ca7.jpegC0A68D07-C269-4A79-9CBE-FC391F0BB72C.jpeg.13bd0371fa49c415a93d979150d0b89c.jpeg

Only answer I could think of, talent at the QB position. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Can you imagine if all the best players just go to the highest bidders? There would be like 6 good teams that would just rotate going to the playoffs. That’s not the kind of CFB that I want to see. 

Sorry if my sarcasm meter is off, but this is the way it is now. We just aren’t one of the six and we can be with NIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)