2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sure but now you don't even have to develop them, you can just poach them. Should shorten the timeframe.

You make a good point but this is the most overrated word in college football. Development in this game isn't rocket science. Most of these coaches can do it with the right kind of talent.  All these coaches have a huge lists of busts on their resumes and I don't see many taking slow, undersized kids and pulling magic tricks.

Just now, Sandbagging Steve said:

You make a good point but this is the most overrated word in college football. Development in this game isn't rocket science. Most of these coaches can do it with the right kind of talent.  All these coaches have a huge lists of busts on their resumes and I don't see many taking slow, undersized kids and pulling magic tricks.

Forgot to add: but your point about a quicker turnaround thru the portal is a good point.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

listen chucklefuck, you have a severe reading comprehension problem.  I said aggy probably did it right because the NCAA isn't gonna do shitall to them. If you knew how to read you would know that means I am saying it was illegal.

Furthermore, asswipe, I didn't say anything about what was appropriate you dumbfuck.

Did you graduate from Texas?  oh the irony in mentioning dunning-kruger when you have 3rd grade reading comprehension.

The sticks and stones appeared to have obscured my point from your view, apologies. And I lumped your idiot ideas together and attributed them to both, apologies  

aggy has paid handsomely to be the first stop in the early, unregulated years of college free agency. While paying market rate for proven commodities has become a reality, they’ve chosen to take the more well trodden, illegal route of securing elite prospects. I understand that you think aggy made the smart move by signing an incredible class. My point is that aggy is the first stop for 75% of those guys, busts included, and it is a poor move in retrospect. Financially and strategically. It escalated more quickly than their plan hoped for. 

Is this not the common sentiment? What’s the alternative opinion? They’ll future pay legitimately the ones that perform to stay in College Station and not go closer to home/bama/more money/out of cs? I just don’t understand that perspective. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
Their* yeah yeah

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin said the staff is aware of Land and is likely pursuing.

Sounds like Georgia is the one who recruited him into the portal though.

Sark, PK, Marion, Terry Joseph, Gary Patterson, Tashard Choice, Jeff Banks and several support staffers have all followed this kid on the twitter machine today.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

It's not that they don't conform to the rules of NIL. We always knew there was going to be a bit of wild west action. The problem is these well funded boosters seem to think they are buying players and their abilities, when typically if that is the engagement you would have performance based pay, which is not only explicitly excluded from NIL, but has economic impact as well. I have had an offline argument with CTJ about this thing specifically where I don't believe that people are so stupid they are willing to part with millions of dollars with no benefit over an extended period of time. The counter claim is that fanatics turn their brains off and start making purely emotional decisions. I don't think the wealthy types continue to make these types of decisions without at least a little bit of dopamine in return and I don't think we are in store for much dopamine. 

If you’re going to bastardize the discussion and turn it into a cartoon, do it with someone else, as that shit pisses me off. 

I’ve said all along that you’re whole position around “cooler heads prevailing” and NIL not being a long term gamechanger is wrong and I’ve been right the whole way. The markets will remain irrational far longer than your view will remain solvent. 

Do things eventually find some kind of equilibrium and will there be some normalizing of how money is traded? Sure. That will take a while and finish at a far higher floor than you think it will. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Are there really hardcore cfb fans that didn’t see this coming? The end game of all of this was never going to be pretty. We just happen to have a chance to be one of the survivors. 

I think most fans knew a major upheaval was coming. But most fans think it will all work out nicely and Texas will have a nice seat at the top with a few other big swinging duck NIL programs. I don’t have this view. I think the sport is going to turn into an even bigger joke for several years. Hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

The point of NIL wasn’t for players to get compensated at their market value?

As others have told you - NIL has nothing to do with on field performance and they are being conflated to the point where they are the same. 

Endorsement value vs salary value. Some players are worth big endorsement dollars (sometimes even more than salary) others are only worth salary and are untouchable from endorsements. 

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sark, PK, Marion, Terry Joseph, Gary Patterson, Tashard Choice, Jeff Banks and several support staffers have all followed this kid on the twitter machine today.

Wake me up when Eltife starts following him

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds about right. A lot of folks felt UT should wait for post-spring ball portals transfers, but I've always felt the best portal transfers are going be the post-regular season transfers. Most of the post-spring ball portal transfers are guys who are unhappy with their depth chart spot during Spring Football (the part of the year when every school will have it's lowest roster depth). If a player isn't good enough for the depth chart during spring football, how good are they?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I thought agents were only allowed for NCAA players that are entering into pro sports drafts. Since when are current players going into another season of NCAA eligibility allowed to have an agent?

"NIL" agents

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The glass half empty guy would say that is because we had shockingly few players anyone cared about, so it was easy to keep them all paid and keep them all under the impression they would play big roles  for us next season.

The post I was reiterating listed several of our players who apparently were targets of other teams and we managed to fend off the poachers. It’s not like Pitt had a ton of great players and they lost their best one. The fact that we were able to hold onto players like Bijan and Worthy is not nothing. 

53 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The sticks and stones appeared to have obscured my point from your view, apologies. And I lumped your idiot ideas together and attributed them to both, apologies  

aggy has paid handsomely to be the first stop in the early, unregulated years of college free agency. While paying market rate for proven commodities has become a reality, they’ve chosen to take the more well trodden, illegal route of securing elite prospects. I understand that you think aggy made the smart move by signing an incredible class. My point is that aggy is the first stop for 75% of those guys, busts included, and it is a poor move in retrospect. Financially and strategically. It escalated more quickly than their plan hoped for. 

Is this not the common sentiment? What’s the alternative opinion? They’ll future pay legitimately the ones that perform to stay in College Station and not go closer to home/bama/more money/out of cs? I just don’t understand that perspective. 

Aggie is doing exactly as Georgia did a few years ago and what was the result from Georgia?

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think most fans knew a major upheaval was coming. But most fans think it will all work out nicely and Texas will have a nice seat at the top with a few other big swinging duck NIL programs. I don’t have this view. I think the sport is going to turn into an even bigger joke for several years. Hope I’m wrong. 

I think I've seen this BMD before...

2804e27fe218b1c4337ab029eaae0484.jpg

• Haha 4

Nahlin said the staff is aware of Land and is likely pursuing.
Sounds like Georgia is the one who recruited him into the portal though.
I know that no one is implying we'll get him, but I'm not too high on our odds of landing a defensive guy Georgia recruited into the portal when fucking Nebraska just landed the guy we recruited into the portal.
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, immamac said:

As others have told you - NIL has nothing to do with on field performance and they are being conflated to the point where they are the same. 

Endorsement value vs salary value. Some players are worth big endorsement dollars (sometimes even more than salary) others are only worth salary and are untouchable from endorsements. 

This is such a naive approach. It was always going to be pay for play approach. The value associated with the NIL of a player was always 100% revolved around performance or what a school thought said player would do for their team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is such a naive approach. It was always going to be pay for play approach. The value associated with the NIL of a player was always 100% revolved around performance or what a school thought said player would do for their team. 

The only realm in which players are going to be paid for their marketing value is hot women's sports athletes hocking diet pills and yoga pants on Instagram, and even that will be mostly BS.

Taylor Swift, international megastar, got $26M to peddle Diet Coke for a two-year ad run. Beyonce got $50M from Pepsi for even more years. These are the hottest celebrity properties in existence. Ochuan Mathis isn't 1/26th of a Swift in terms of marketing power. He's not even 1/26,000th.

Unless we're going to start legally requiring marketing deals to include strict comps to justify the amount spent or organize a salary cap, this shit is just the beginning and I'm loving every second of it.

(And as for comparing the NIL deals to major league salaries... those salaries are only that low because of salary caps. Trevor Lawrence is making $9M/yr on his rookie deal. Without a cap add a 0 to the end of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The only realm in which players are going to be paid for their marketing value is hot women's sports athletes hocking diet pills and yoga pants on Instagram, and even that will be mostly BS.

Taylor Swift, international megastar, got $26M to peddle Diet Coke for a two-year ad run. Beyonce got $50M from Pepsi for even more years. These are the hottest celebrity properties in existence. Ochuan Mathis isn't 1/26th of a Swift in terms of marketing power. He's not even 1/26,000th.

Unless we're going to start legally requiring marketing deals to include strict comps to justify the amount spent or organize a salary cap, this shit is just the beginning and I'm loving every second of it.

(And as for comparing the NIL deals to major league salaries... those salaries are only that low because of salary caps. Trevor Lawrence is making $9M/yr on his rookie deal. Without a cap add a 0 to the end of that.

Did I compare to major league salaries? Comparing NIL to structured NFL draft compensation is retarded. Value is what donors and the power brokers determine it to be. If you want to get great players and compete at the highest levels you best bring your checkbook going forward. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. I remember as soon as the NIL ruling came down, it would come to this

not sure why anyone is shocked, at all. Also not sure why we as a university werent better prepared

not shocked at all and we weren't prepared because in typical fashion we still think this is about education...that ship sailed years ago.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bad comparison. Lebron got $1B from Nike. Hell, Aaron Gordon has a massive shoe deal. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/bestsneakers28701805/aaron-gordon-new-sneaker-ready-nba-dunk-contest

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

The post I was reiterating listed several of our players who apparently were targets of other teams and we managed to fend off the poachers. It’s not like Pitt had a ton of great players and they lost their best one. The fact that we were able to hold onto players like Bijan and Worthy is not nothing. 

That will get you 5 wins which I guess is something.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

not shocked at all and we weren't prepared because in typical fashion we still think this is about education...that ship sailed years ago.

We need more of this. If people would pick up the phone and voice their displeasure, it could speed things up. We are getting to the tipping point (finally, after all these years) where the fans and alumni can finally do something about it. Withhold donations to the athletic side if there are no changes. Give it to the academic side or to CTJ, if you still want to give it away. Make your voice known why.

The BMDs don't have time for this. They just do what they are told to do...For decades they've been told it's immoral to pay student-athletes (it's not) and will lead to embarrassment and sanctions (was never going to happen). Now, the excuses ring hollow. If the fanbase puts pressure on admin, they will get the BMDs onboard. 

It's going to take a large group of BMDs to make this fully operational.

Heck, Texas has the power to pickup the phone and end the NCAA tomorrow. The presidents run that shit organization. Only five schools can pull that off: Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, tOSU and Michigan.

That's my opinion on this matter.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That will get you 5 wins which I guess is something.

Let’s try it this way - I seem to remember you are predicting us at 8 wins next season. What would your prediction be if USC had poached Worthy and UGA lured away Bijan?

I’m not trying to oversell this as an indicator that this staff is going to have us in the CFP in the next few years. Star player retention is one factor among many in running a successful program these days, and for this cycle, at least, they were successful. That’s all I’m saying. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

apologies that your idiot idea is that anyone at aggy cares about losing money when it comes to buying football players illegally.  they'll just keep doing it. if a guy leaves they stop paying him and use that money to pay for another recruit.  if they never win, which is possible, it won't matter. 

hell SMU only stopped paying when the NCAA dealt them the death penalty.  They could even say, you want to transfer, fine. you go to Texas no money.  anywhere else you get X(new number) still.

Until a player takes someone to court for not paying some promised "NIL", no one will care.  I suppose it is possible that day may come soon.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

apologies that your idiot idea is that anyone at aggy cares about losing money when it comes to buying football players illegally.  they'll just keep doing it. if a guy leaves they stop paying him and use that money to pay for another recruit.  if they never win, which is possible, it won't matter. 

hell SMU only stopped paying when the NCAA dealt them the death penalty.  They could even say, you want to transfer, fine. you go to Texas no money.  anywhere else you get X(new number) still.

Until a player takes someone to court for not paying some promised "NIL", no one will care.  I suppose it is possible that day may come soon.

ATM got busted before SMU and got off on a technicality. And then they didn't stop one damn. They didn't even try to find a new way, much less a legal way, to pay recruits and players. They just kept handing bags out (literally) on the front desk of high school coaches, right in the wide open. And then FedEx. LOL, they finally got busted again. And then they got busted one more time after getting penalized. They've never had any moral values.

What they are doing right now is actually 100% within the rules. Go ask Mark Emmert. It's the same thing all the other schools are doing and it is legally within the rules. A third party can pay a third party completely within the rules.

Just now, Sandbagging Steve said:

ATM got busted before SMU and got off on a technicality. And then they didn't stop one damn. They didn't even try to find a new way, much less a legal way, to pay recruits and players. They just kept handing bags out (literally) on the front desk of high school coaches, right in the wide open. And then FedEx. LOL, they finally got busted again. And then they got busted one more time after getting penalized. They've never had any moral values.

What they are doing right now is actually 100% within the rules. Go ask Mark Emmert. It's the same thing all the other schools are doing and it is legally within the rules. A third party can pay a third party completely within the rules.

dcar00: I wasn't disputing you, just adding on to your argument. Sorry, can't edit.

3 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Not according to Texas. 

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not according to Texas. 

That's the brainwashing of our BMDs.  The BMDs aren't the problem.

We once had a larger compliance department than the entire NCAA.  One of the few schools in America that's breathing down the necks of their own "boys" trying to get themselves in trouble. It's both a reflection of terrible business and also how much the NCAA is just there as a façade to cover for amateurism. They once had very few actual lawyers working on infractions. Even lawyers found the place to corrupt to work for and left in droves.

Then there's the cover for the overcorrection that is Title 9. There's a place for that stuff, but it was taken too far. Texas, Stanford and few more are the only one's who continue to celebrate its overreach. It's reverse discrimination as written. And most schools know it and treat it that way. Not Texas.

The NCAA has all been about keeping as much money as possible and sharing as little of the profits with the sweat that made it happen. The old system allowed that. The bloated administrations across the country were cover for one goal: Add expenses to counter the incredible rise of wealth. They would rather pay a buddy to sit around than pay a kid his worth.

Now, the other bluebloods would make sure to get the very elite paid so they could win. If you paid a few elite players per year, the rest would follow them. That's a much cheaper way to keep the gravy train rolling, but at least the other school's cared about winning.

Yeah, I know, not much different than the 10,000 years of civilization you read about in your textbooks. Life is one big fucking loop of greed. We never learn from our mistakes.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I truly don’t understand how Eltife was allowed to push that through, even if he is Chairman of the Board of Regents.  I understand why guys like Joe Jamail, Red McCombs and Tom Hicks had the ability to throw their weight around in the past.  They were billionaires (25 years ago when that was even more exclusive), they made huge donations that got football fields and schools named after them, and with Hicks and McCombs they were even pro sports owners who were plugged into that world with the sponsors and agents.  I understand why they had clout, and why even other big money donors would defer or even have to take a back seat at times. 

But Eltife? I know Eltife is prominent and has political connections, but there are bigger fish.  I guess all of those bigger fish just didn’t give a fuck after Urban said no, because I can’t imagine any of them earnestly tried to oppose this and Eltife was allowed to just ram his choice down everyone’s throats despite real objections.

Other than Urban Meyer, who you going to hire? Who was really out there? The LSU coach wouldn't have recruited well here because we don't pay the players enough and we don't have Catholicism to fall back on. We also just fired a prick because the base couldn't stand his personality.

There aren't many good head coaches out there. Sark at least came here with a reputation as one of the best offensive minds and one the best recruiters in America. He has plenty of warts, but if you can recruit and scheme on offense, all you need to do in today's football is hire a good defensive coordinator and strength coach and get out of the way.

Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, Sark is having a tough time recruiting here because of last year's on season performance and just because our admin makes it tough to recruit here. He, and whatever the NIL deals CTJ put in place, helped Texas at least put together its best class in a very, very long time.

The defense may need a new coach. It definitely needs way more talent. It's much easier to find a solid defensive coordinator than it is to find a genius offensive mind who can scheme his way to points.

I wasn't a fan of the hire at first glance.  With that said, our best bet right now, unless a savior just falls in our lap, is to let Sark buy some good players and get a defensive coordinator who can get it done. Also, take a look at the strength program.

If you have an elite offensive schemer and great talent on both sides of the ball, who's stopping you? Honestly, defense is more about talent and offense is more tilted toward scheme.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you’re going to bastardize the discussion and turn it into a cartoon, do it with someone else, as that shit pisses me off. 

I’ve said all along that you’re whole position around “cooler heads prevailing” and NIL not being a long term gamechanger is wrong and I’ve been right the whole way. The markets will remain irrational far longer than your view will remain solvent. 

Do things eventually find some kind of equilibrium and will there be some normalizing of how money is traded? Sure. That will take a while and finish at a far higher floor than you think it will. 

I just want so desperately for you to be wrong, not because I need to be right, but because I think this is going to spiral out of control if you are right. 

9 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Some posters on OB apparently said the player in question was Barron. Oregon offered him 200k

I wish somebody would have offered Jamison so Barron could start at outside CB like he needs to be. He is the best corner on the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)