2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

“Will be a ripple effect at Georgia like OSU”

OSU hasn’t had an incoming transfer cause a ripple effect since Fields. 

If you don’t think that was about OSUs log jam this year causing multiple transfers and not a reference to something 2 years ago idk what to tell ya.

52 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

“Will be a ripple effect at Georgia like OSU”

OSU hasn’t had an incoming transfer cause a ripple effect since Fields. 

And I’m the real retard for calling Daniels by Barrett

And for not realizing Blake Vandagriff is a 5 star QB from the class of 21 that would almost definitely transfer and be considered a huge ripple effect, on top of possibly causing two other guys in Bennett and Daniels to transfer. So yeah, I’d say 3 guys, including a 5 star from last year, who could cause other transfers wherever they land, would cause a lot of ripple effects in CFB. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think a player would be punished. I think the University would be punished for admitting they're actively working with a player on his NIL deals, or facilitating them. And publicly writing about it. The school is forbidden from doing anything remotely like that, which is why also why a school can't pay a kid directly. I'm not talking about Williams here, I'm talking about OU. 

You seem to be reading a lot into "...and strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities."  I doubt it'd be very hard to find a CDC (or any other AD) statement about how the University can provide tools for athletes to their NIL branding.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait. That isn't a parody letter like when Scipio wrote to Tinkles the Bullmastiff? 

Also... that abortion of a press release is geared 100% to OU's fanbase to prevent the remaining few who haven't leapt to their death from doing so. Sure, we lost our coach, starting qb, countless recruits and current players, not to mention our entire fucking identity but hey.... most wins in college football since 1999! 

Is there anything in Oklahoma tall enough to leap to death from?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

You seem to be reading a lot into "...and strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities."  I doubt it'd be very hard to find a CDC (or any other AD) statement about how the University can provide tools for athletes to their NIL branding.

As someone who spends way too much time with NIL dealings and the rules behind it, I don't think enough is being read into that to be frank

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

As someone who spends way too much time with NIL dealings and the rules behind it, I don't think enough is being read into that to be frank

I promise you spend infinitely more time on NIL dealings and the rules behind it than I do, and know infinitely more than I do.  Can you explain to me what rule, law, or statute you think that statement indicates is being violated?  I honestly do not know and am curious to learn.

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is what happens when you are a LB who is worth a damn. You go to the school that recruited you into the portal despite having 20 other offers from schools who didn't.

First of all the kid was a true freshman. And secondly you should see the quoted tweets to that tweet. He’s getting lots of buzz.

check the quoted tweets to this one also.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yeah it's obvious what they mean, but just vague enough that they can claim otherwise in the off chance someone comes sniffing.

Just now, gernblansten said:

I promise you spend infinitely more time on NIL dealings and the rules behind it than I do, and know infinitely more than I do.  Can you explain to me what rule, law, or statute you think that statement indicates is being violated?  I honestly do not know and am curious to learn.

image.png.649570908da3f8c11b7d1ae475ab07e7.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah it's obvious what they mean, but just vague enough that they can claim otherwise in the off chance someone comes sniffing.

Certainly, but if it even gets eyes on it and skunks stuff up for them then thats a win for Texas

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

In

Oklahoma, land of

thieves, come messages in odd forms.

A Greecian vase or amphora or bulging bag of dicks

shape to commemorate

the vital message of a choice

for you to please respect 

unlike they do the girls they punch or stab

with a screwdriver.

Shameless romantic.  

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

image.png.649570908da3f8c11b7d1ae475ab07e7.png

So, you don't think that statement can be something as simple as:

"As we continue to evaluate opportunities in the new era of name/image/likeness for all of our student-athletes, working alongside our legal counsel, I am thrilled to announce a new agreement with Brandr for group licensing on Texas-branded and officially licensed merchandise bearing the NIL of Longhorns student-athletes," UT Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte said. "Now fans can purchase Texas Longhorns items like jerseys and t-shirts and support their favorite players, which we have never been able to do before, and the student-athletes are able to profit from those sales through their agreement with Brandr."

2 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

So, you don't think that statement can be something as simple as:

"As we continue to evaluate opportunities in the new era of name/image/likeness for all of our student-athletes, working alongside our legal counsel, I am thrilled to announce a new agreement with Brandr for group licensing on Texas-branded and officially licensed merchandise bearing the NIL of Longhorns student-athletes," UT Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte said. "Now fans can purchase Texas Longhorns items like jerseys and t-shirts and support their favorite players, which we have never been able to do before, and the student-athletes are able to profit from those sales through their agreement with Brandr."

No, that's totally and completely different. That is them announcing a clothing provider so the kids can sell jerseys. Same as has been done with most other Universities that know what they are doing. That is Texas giving its blessing to allow their licensed gear to be sold by brandr, brandr then enters agreement with the athletes if they so choose. Nothing different than Yeti selling a burnt orange cup, its up to yeti to set up a deal with Bijan to use his NIL on said cup

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

blOU went into last season with the consensus Heisman favorite and #1 QB in the 2021 class (not counting Ewers) backing him up. Next season they'll probably be starting Dillon Gabriel. 

You hate to see it. 

Also the #1 QB in the 2022 class (not counting Ewers)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Why does the highlighted section specify "prospective" student-athletes, but the others don't?  It makes it seems like it doesn't apply to current student-athletes.

it does say prospective so seems like someone who is not on scholarship yet.

the OU release is specifically in relation to  Caleb Williams and how they can discuss strategic NIL opportunities with him. 

and now Williams is in the portal so that makes him a prospective student athlete to OU now correct?

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

No, that's totally and completely different. That is them announcing a clothing provider so the kids can sell jerseys. Same as has been done with most other Universities that know what they are doing. That is Texas giving its blessing to allow their licensed gear to be sold by brandr, brandr then enters agreement with the athletes if they so choose. Nothing different than Yeti selling a burnt orange cup, its up to yeti to set up a deal with Bijan to use his NIL on said cup

I know what Brandr is.  I'm saying it's incredible simple to state "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" means approving such things for Caleb Williams and other players. 

How do you feel about:

The swanky PJs are part of what Yellow Jackets players received in exchange for agreeing to promote TiVo on social media this month. They also got a prepaid debit card worth $404 (Atlanta's area code is 404) and the company's 4k streaming device. As part of the partnership, which was facilitated by Georgia Tech's athletic department, TiVo provided the school an upgrade to its audio/visual equipment in some of the team facilities. 

Georgia Tech helped organize the endorsement deals and present it to the players, which is the latest example of a school taking an active role in trying to create specific opportunities for athletes to cash in on new NIL rules.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31086019/everything-need-know-ncaa-nil-debate

IMHO "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" is a very benign statement to try and assign a violation of any rule, including the highlighted portion in your post.  There isn't an athletic department in the country that isn't presenting recruits with information about how they can maximize their earning potential at X University. I appreciate you taking the time and I won't derail any further.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

I know what Brandr is.  I'm saying it's incredible simple to state "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" means approving such things for Caleb Williams and other players. 

How do you feel about:

IMHO "strategic leveraging of NIL opportunities" is a very benign statement to try and assign a violation of any rule, including the highlighted portion in your post.  There isn't an athletic department in the country that isn't presenting recruits with information about how they can maximize their earning potential at X University. I appreciate you taking the time and I won't derail any further.

thats an ESPN article and references TiVo person saying something and no comment from Georgia Tech that I can see.

the OU thing is an AD release referencing NIL about a specific player.  the funny thing is it could be some type of smoke signal telling their donors we need "cash for caleb".

I get that it may not matter and isn't "OMG! OMG! OU bought Caleb a Gold Trans AM and sent out the receipt to the press!" but it is interesting.

5 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I'm sure Williams going to Miami for their game with 8and4feit is too much to ask.

They're probably gonna need to hire an OC first...

But hey, he's an East Coast guy, Miami can offer some major NIL, and Cristobal had Justin Herbert, so if they get a good OC it doesn't seem crazy at all

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

They're probably gonna need to hire an OC first...

But hey, he's an East Coast guy, Miami can offer some major NIL, and Cristobal had Justin Herbert, so if they get a good OC it doesn't seem crazy at all

Rumor in Miami is they are hiring Joe Brady

Edited by Michael Knight

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Rumor in Miami is they are hiring Joe Brady

If that’s true, I bet they get him. To @quigley’s point, the stated intent is to get him ready for the NFL and no one has been better than Burrow since Mahomes after a year of sitting. Speaks to motivation, otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)