Crosby, Stills, & Nash (and Young)

Sbbruin

Doesn’t appear there is a thread on my favorite band, and it’s not even close.  My boat is named “Southern Cross” and my best friend dog who just passed was named Crosby.  I’ve seen them live maybe 10 times, and Crosby’s long lost bastard son lives 3 doors down from me. I love this band more than any other.  Anyone else a fan?

• Hook 'Em 1

I really love a handful of their songs and can't stand a handful of them.  There aren't a lot of bands whose catalog is as polarizing to me.

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes was always the first song I put on the jukebox at Thumb's Lounge in Ames.  It bought me 7.5 minutes to pick the rest of my selections, and the last minute is basically 60's pop rock perfection.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

my favorites too.  Stills is criminally underrated as a musician and songwriter.  

And a complete kook.  

Have always been a casual CSN fan.  Hated Neil Young growing up but as I matured I have grown to appreciate him.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:06 PM, Sbbruin said:

Listening to them now, and anyone who doesn’t love them is a communist. The most harmonious trio in history.

Actually, during their heyday, many of their fans would’ve been described as communists by the people in power at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Of CSNY, Young was the biggest asshole, and that's really saying something.   

Refusing to be in the Woodstock movie, abandoning Stills mid-tour, etc.  

From the perspective of looking back on their (almost completed) careers, Young was by far the most versatile and prolific, and I'd argue the most talented.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

From the perspective of looking back on their (almost completed) careers, Young was by far the most versatile and prolific, and I'd argue the most talented.  

I'm going with Stills.  Crosby, BTW, agrees with me.  Says he was the best musician, best singer, best songwriter in the band.  

If you can't be 

with the one you lo-ove

love the one you're with

That's the most Rock and Roll line in history. 

the stories about stills' coked our rampages on the 74 csny tour are great. dude was delusional, told stories to the audience about being in vietnam, despite the fact that he was never in vietnam. 

7 minutes ago, stc said:

the stories about stills' coked our rampages on the 74 csny tour are great. dude was delusional, told stories to the audience about being in vietnam, despite the fact that he was never in vietnam. 

At least he didn't say he was a golden God before doing a gainer into a pool from a roof top on acid .  

He was on acid, not the roof top.

Thought I should mention:  Crosby was on Stern a couple weeks ago and said somebody (I forgot who) is working on a big CSNY documentary.   He said that he's met with the filmmakers and think they will do a great job, and that they have his full cooperation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:25 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

"Sourhern Cross" features some of the best harmony vocals outside of the Everly Brothers. Impossible not to (try) to sing along to. I admire their talent, but own none of their albums. Maybe I should change that.

One of my top 5 all time songs.

CSB, When I was around 20, broke up with this girl, had that song running through my head, decided it would be cool to see the actual Southern Cross and travel around for a few years, decided the military was the cheapest/best way to do that, particularly the Navy.  Went to the recruiters, and while I was not particularly picky the only MOSes (they called it something else) they had open at that point in time did not seem very conducive to what I was hoping to do - they either all seemed shore-based or just extremely shitty.

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm going with Stills.  Crosby, BTW, agrees with me.  Says he was the best musician, best singer, best songwriter in the band.  

If you can't be 

with the one you lo-ove

love the one you're with

That's the most Rock and Roll line in history. 

I’ve always hated that line. It’s a loser’s line. It’s about settling. Taking whatever you can get. And none of the other members of the band will even speak to Crosby today. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

One of my top 5 all time songs.

CSB, When I was around 20, broke up with this girl, had that song running through my head, decided it would be cool to see the actual Southern Cross and travel around for a few years, decided the military was the cheapest/best way to do that, particularly the Navy.  Went to the recruiters, and while I was not particularly picky the only MOSes (they called it something else) they had open at that point in time did not seem very conducive to what I was hoping to do - they either all seemed shore-based or just extremely shitty.

Sir, I'd like my nickel back, that story sucked.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I absolutely love CSNY.   Suite- Judy Blue Eyes, Carry On, Woodstock, Southern Cross; some of my favorite harmonies ever made.   Been listening to them since I was a kid since both my parents loved them.   

They're an intregal part of the soundtrack to the 60's, and early 70's.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They're an intregal part of the soundtrack to the 60's, and early 70's.

I was born in 80, so the soundtrack of my life was listening to 60’s/70’s Rock when I was born through 8, hearing the radio rock and country of the day at the house and in the car, and then straight into the 90’s.   If I remembered as much about mathematics or cared to remember it as I do song lyrics from  literally thousands of songs in different genres, I’d have been a billionaire.   

What I find interesting about Southern Cross is that it's well known that Crosby didn't sing on the track, but he was in the music video making it appear as if he was involved in the recording.

Then you see the artists who DID sing on the track. Holy shit.

Art Garfunkel

Timothy B. Schmit

Mike Finnigan

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve always hated that line. It’s a loser’s line. It’s about settling. Taking whatever you can get. And none of the other members of the band will even speak to Crosby today. 

Crosby said that he and Stills speak.  He said that on the Stern show a couple of weeks back. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Crosby said that he and Stills speak.  He said that on the Stern show a couple of weeks back. 

Graham Nash definitely won’t have anything to do with him. There was a piece on CBS Sunday Morning within the last few weeks about the 50th Anniversary release of Déjà Vu, which was supposed to come out last year but got delayed due to Covid. Crosby, Stills, and Nash were all interviewed separately. Nash was outspoken about his disdain for Crosby. I don’t recall Stills saying they still speak. Maybe he’s the contact for business matters. I get the impression that none of them are friends. Young declined to be interviewed.

Great project that created some great art but there were so many internal conflicts that they burned out pretty quickly. Sort of like Spirit but with a lot more commercial appeal/success. CSN’s debut performance was at Woodstock. Spirit was offered the spot before Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock but their manager thought that the festival wouldn’t amount to much and it would be a better idea to go on a radio tour promoting their single I Got A Line On You. They also had a new album called Clear coming out the next month. Oops. The band broke up during the recording of their fourth (and best) album Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus which I will never stop promoting. It’s a psychedelic masterpiece that’s on par with Sgt. Pepper’s and Dark Side and came out in 1970 just like Déjà Vu.

Also, Howard Stern is still on the radio?

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Graham Nash definitely won’t have anything to do with him. There was a piece on CBS Sunday Morning within the last few weeks about the 50th Anniversary release of Déjà Vu, which was supposed to come out last year but got delayed due to Covid. Crosby, Stills, and Nash were all interviewed separately. Nash was outspoken about his disdain for Crosby. I don’t recall Stills saying they still speak. Maybe he’s the contact for business matters. I get the impression that none of them are friends. Young declined to be interviewed.

Great project that created some great art but there were so many internal conflicts that they burned out pretty quickly. Sort of like Spirit but with a lot more commercial appeal/success. CSN’s debut performance was at Woodstock. Spirit was offered the spot before Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock but their manager thought that the festival wouldn’t amount to much and it would be a better idea to go on a radio tour promoting their single I Got A Line On You. They also had a new album called Clear coming out the next month. Oops. The band broke up during the recording of their fourth (and best) album Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus which I will never stop promoting. It’s a psychedelic masterpiece that’s on par with Sgt. Pepper’s and Dark Side and came out in 1970 just like Déjà Vu.

Also, Howard Stern is still on the radio?

CSN AND Y played at Woodstock, but it wasn't their first gig.  They played a gig the previous night. 

Young, being a fuckface, refused to be in the Woodstock movie so he wasn't filmed, but he was absolutely there. 

Yes, Stern is still on the radio, if you can afford 6 bucks a month.  And you will hear people like David Crosby say things on his show that you won't hear anywhere else.   Check youtube for the Crosby interview, if you're interested.  It was a fun listen. 

Edited by Gil Bang

• 1 month later...

I never really “got” CSN and/or Y.

I mean they have good songs for sure but they never really resonated with me for some reason.

Now they all just seem like a bunch of old assholes that like to go on documentaries or talks shows or whatever and talk about how awesome and important they were a long long time ago.

Maybe I’m just missing something. Wouldn’t be the first time.

They re-ran that piece on CBS Sunday Morning today where Nash said that he and Stills and Young still speak but none of them speak to Crosby. So I wasn’t imagining that. And Nash pointed out that Young didn’t play or sing on either of his songs on Déjà Vu. But he did talk about meeting with Neil and asking him why he should be in the band and Neil asked him if he had ever heard him and Stephen Stills play guitar together and that sold hIm. I only own Buffalo Springfield’s greatest hits album but that’s a great album.

And I can’t imagine not getting CSN/CSNY. Unless harmony just isn’t your thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean they have good songs for sure but they never really resonated with me for some reason.

Now they all just seem like a bunch of old assholes that like to go on documentaries or talks shows or whatever and talk about how awesome and important they were a long long time ago.

Unpopular opinions thread =>

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They re-ran that piece on CBS Sunday Morning today where Nash said that he and Stills and Young still speak but none of them speak to Crosby. So I wasn’t imagining that. And Nash pointed out that Young didn’t play or sing on either of his songs on Déjà Vu. But he did talk about meeting with Neil and asking him why he should be in the band and Neil asked him if he had ever heard him and Stephen Stills play guitar together and that sold hIm. I only own Buffalo Springfield’s greatest hits album but that’s a great album.

And I can’t imagine not getting CSN/CSNY. Unless harmony just isn’t your thing. 

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I don't know you, but I like and respect you. 

PM me your address, and I'll send you a copy of "Deja Vu" in any format you prefer. 

Give it two listens from start to finish, and then tell us you don't "get" it.

Fucking Stills and Young stabbing at each other on the live (in studio) recording of "Almost Cut My Hair" will get anybody with a pulse. Those two mofos know exactly what and when the other  guy will do. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Saw them (CSN) at Erwin when I was at UT around 1993 or 1994.  I felt like the youngest person there.  Concert was fine, but I think I was outside the window for them as a band and  me as a big enough fan to want to go see them live.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

CSN did some great stuff, iconic great stuff. But frankly, on the whole, I prefer The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield and The Hollies.

Bully for you. All great bands. CSNY was like the superest of super groups combining top talent from those huge bands. And they basically made their debut at Woodstock.

Phish and I have parted ways but they were great back in the day. And apparently my bringing it up is provocative so that inspires me to keep it up. They opened their first concert in 1983, in a cafeteria at the University of Vermont, with a cover of Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress by The Hollies. (Then followed that up with Proud Mary.) They opened up their second set with some Dead tunes, but eventually got bumped by someone playing Michael Jackson on a boom box. But they still got paid.

I was there in Vegas on 10/30/98 when they paid tribute to the first song they ever played live. It was just the second time they played it. (And they only played it once more after that.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

• 2 months later...