Crosby, Stills, & Nash (and Young)

Sbbruin

For the record, Phish has no business in a thread about an all-time great band.  No place at all.

A lot of folks; many, in fact, consider Stills to be a genius.    He's still criminally underrated.   What a musician.  What a guitarist, what a songwriter, what a singer.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Missed this thread the first time around. CSNY are one of my favorite bands ever, no one did harmonies as well as they did. While CSNY were recording Deja Vu the Dead were recording American Beauty in the same studio. Stills wanted a different sound on Teach Your Children and suggested Jerry on the pedal steel which he'd only been playing a couple of months at that point and had never played it on a record. Jerry improvised the pedal steel part and they used his first take.

• Like 2

Great band. Used to work with a guy that lived with Crosby for a while when they were teens. He said it was wild. And that David has skillz that far exceeded his looks. A guitar can do wonders.

Edited by squib

20 hours ago, elguapo said:

Missed this thread the first time around. CSNY are one of my favorite bands ever, no one did harmonies as well as they did. While CSNY were recording Deja Vu the Dead were recording American Beauty in the same studio. Stills wanted a different sound on Teach Your Children and suggested Jerry on the pedal steel which he'd only been playing a couple of months at that point and had never played it on a record. Jerry improvised the pedal steel part and they used his first take.

CSNY traded them with some tips on singing. The Dead’s harmonies took a big step forward on their more countryfide American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead albums.

Jerry played pedal steel for Jefferson Airplane in ‘69.

I’ll spoiler these next two because this isn’t the Grateful Dead thread.

Spoiler

He also played it on The Wheel which appeared on his first solo album and was featured in the opening animated sequence of The Grateful Dead Movie.

.Hey, look! Lucky you if you took the time to check the spoiler. You get a bonus track of Jerry playing live with the New Riders of the Purple Sage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, elguapo said:

Yeah I’ve seen CSN by far more than any other band.  They are, quite simply, my jam.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah I’ve seen CSN by far more than any other band.  They are, quite simply, my jam.  

I'm really sad to say that I was late to the party, and I've only come to really appreciate them since they broke up. 

Now I consider myself a huge fan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not a podcast guy, but I just listened to both parts of Rick Rubin's podcast with Graham Nash. 

We've heard some of the stories before, but Nash is a good storyteller, and, at 80, still sounds quite sharp.  He speaks fondly of Crosby.  Meanwhile, the news today says Nash (elsewhere) says Crosby died of COVID.  Not a big shock. 

Edited by Gil Bang

• 3 weeks later...