Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.

SDG

Most of non-revenues really stepped it up to get us the win. 

VB: NCAA runner up

MSD: Champions

MTN: Top 4 finish

WTN: champions

ROW: champions

M/W TF: top 10 finishes 

WSD: 3rd place

SB: top 16 finish

W GOLF: top 8 finish

WBB (top 8 finish) and Baseball (top 3 finish) contributed a lot.

Soccer, football, men’s golf and MBB didn’t do dick 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Most of non-revenues really stepped it up to get us the win. 

VB: NCAA runner up

MSD: Champions

MTN: Top 4 finish

WTN: champions

ROW: champions

M/W TF: top 10 finishes 

WSD: 3rd place

SB: top 16 finish

W GOLF: top 8 finish

WBB (top 8 finish) and Baseball (top 3 finish) contributed a lot.

Soccer, football, men’s golf and MBB didn’t do dick 

This is what it takes. It’s why Stanfraud has won every year, playing EVERYTHING.

• 10 months later...

Thanks to the spring, we should be on pace to perform very well again.  After the winter sports, we were 5th with 679.5 points

Baseball - TBD, but at least 25 points for making the NCAAs, can go all the way up to 64 for making supers, 73 for making Omaha and 100 points for winning it all
W GOLF - 14th place, so 61.5 points
M GOLF - TBD, but minimum 80 points for making the match play semfinals, 
Rowing - 100 points for winning the title
Softball - TBD, but minimum of 73 points for making the WCWS
W Tennis - 100 points for winning the title
M Tennis - 12th, so 64 points
W Outdoor T&F - TBD, projected to finish top 3, so 85-100 points
M Outdoor T&F - TBD, projected to finish top 3, so 85-100 points

Texas currently has 1,005 points after adding in W GOLF, rowing, M/W Tennis.  Baseball, softball, M Golf and the track teams can add a lot of points. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thanks to the spring, we should be on pace to perform very well again.  After the winter sports, we were 5th with 679.5 points

Baseball - TBD, but at least 25 points for making the NCAAs, can go all the way up to 64 for making supers, 73 for making Omaha and 100 points for winning it all
W GOLF - 14th place, so 61.5 points
M GOLF - TBD, but minimum 80 points for making the match play semfinals, 
Rowing - 100 points for winning the title
Softball - TBD, but minimum of 73 points for making the WCWS
W Tennis - 100 points for winning the title
M Tennis - 12th, so 64 points
W Outdoor T&F - TBD, projected to finish top 3, so 85-100 points
M Outdoor T&F - TBD, projected to finish top 3, so 85-100 points

Texas currently has 1,005 points after adding in W GOLF, rowing, M/W Tennis.  Baseball, softball, M Golf and the track teams can add a lot of points. 

Is there an ongoing ranking tracker anywhere?

I can't believe the freaking soccer coach still has a gig.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Is there an ongoing ranking tracker anywhere?

I can't believe the freaking soccer coach still has a gig.

No, the NCAA only updates it at the conclusion of each athletics "season."   

I was wrong, we are 6th currently - the 5th place was before the Bowling, Hockey and Gymnastics was added on April 21.

Next update: June 16 - Water Polo, Men's VB, Beach VB, Lax, Tennis, Golf, Rowing, Softball, Outdoor T&F (should be a big points season for us with 2 titles so far, potentially 1-3 more for M GOLF and T/F, top 15 W GOLF finish and a top 8 softball finish) 
July 1 or July 5: Baseball (final update and declaration of winner) 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So that’s 6 sports we don’t field a team in. 

7 - bowling, hockey, gymnastics, water polo, men's VB, beach volleyball, lacrosse

God damnit Elliot, let us have beach! 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought we had a beach team

Texas does not have a beach team.  TCU is the only major Texas program with beach

It is pretty known that Elliot is against a beach program.  Which, his wife is an accomplished beach player, so weird. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the beach team pulled from the current vb roster, would it even affect Title IX to add it?  Just a few travel dollars?

wouldn’t hurt to add mens wrestling and womens gymnastics too. 

It would only add a few more scholarships on the womens tally, so probably not enough to add a mens program. 

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the beach team pulled from the current vb roster, would it even affect Title IX to add it?  Just a few travel dollars?

wouldn’t hurt to add mens wrestling and womens gymnastics too. 

Most beach players are fifth year seniors who use their final collegiate eligibility year for a different sport (beach) since you have 5 years to play 4 in any single sport, but you technically have 1 year left of collegiate eligibility for....something.  Texas would have to fund those grad scholarships for a beach program.  

Also who is going to coach it?  Elliot may not want him or his staff pulling any double duty. 

Edited by Js1

of the 37 ncaa sanctioned sports, we do not compete in 17 sports including:

Fall

Men's Soccer (acc vs. pac12 sport)

Field Hockey (northwestern just won the first ever championship in d1)

Men's Water Polo (this sport exists entirely for stanford, cal, ucla, and usc to pad their stats)

Winter

Bowling (LOL, surprise...nebraska dominates this shit)

Fencing (ivy league, penn state, and notre dame dominate)

Men's Gymnastics (who cares)

Women's Gymnastics (who cares)

Men's Ice Hockey (denver vs. the big 10)

Women's Ice Hockey (state of minnesota v. state of wisconsin)

Rifle (by the way, big 12 teams west virginia and tcu do compete in this and have won quite a few championships)

Skiing (utah's intramural exposition)

Wrestling (okie state, iowa, and penn state every single year)

Spring

Beach Volleyball (brand new sport since 2016...usc and ucla have won every single title)

Men's Lacrosse (acc nirvana)

Women's Lacrosse (maryland and northwestern have lots of chicks that like to play lacrosse)

Men's Volleyball (california schools padding)

Women's Water Polo (like men's, this sport exists entirely for stanford, ucla, and usc to pad their stats.  those teams have won literally every championship)

if i could choose to add any of those sports, i would love to see us with a men's soccer team and a women's water polo team.  i have zero interest in any of the rest.

Edited by sidis

I’m of the opinion that if it’s a UIL-sponsored sport, if a kid is good enough they ought to be able to continue their career at the flagship university of their home state.  We coulld be pretty good pretty quickly in a few of those. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd argue Texas should add women's gymnastics. At the junior levels, Texas is a hotbed and there's so many elite clubs in the state (WOGA, Stars, Metroplex, World Champion Centre, Texas Dreams, etc.).

Also gymnastics is huge in the SEC (I'm thinking about the sell out crowds at LSU and Georgia).

Just now, Aleemay said:

I'd argue Texas should add women's gymnastics. At the junior levels, Texas is a hotbed and there's so many elite clubs in the state (WOGA, Stars, Metroplex, World Champion Centre, Texas Dreams, etc.).

Also gymnastics is huge in the SEC (I'm thinking about the sell out crowds at LSU and Georgia).

OU is a powerhouse too

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Most beach players are fifth year seniors who use their final collegiate eligibility year for a different sport (beach) since you have 5 years to play 4 in any single sport, but you technically have 1 year left of collegiate eligibility for....something.  

This no longer true. I follow the beach scene rather closely, there are still some 5th year transfers, but way more underclassmen now. 

Great sport to watch for free at TCU. 

No school has won more than 6 NCAA team national titles in an academic year. Texas is sitting at 4 with baseball, softball, Mens outdoor T&F, and Womens outdoor T&F still left to be decided. We will be one of the favorites in track and field for both mens and womens. We're in the softball CWS and baseball is the #9 overall seed. This is a historical year for UT athletics no matter what happens this month.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No school has won more than 6 NCAA team national titles in an academic year. Texas is sitting at 4 with baseball, softball, Mens outdoor T&F, and Womens outdoor T&F still left to be decided. We will be one of the favorites in track and field for both mens and womens. We're in the softball CWS and baseball is the #9 overall seed. This is a historical year for UT athletics no matter what happens this month.

It would be crazy if Texas pulled off 6 championships and 1 of those wasn't in men's swimming and diving. 

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 8:40 PM, Wizlon said:

FWIW some guy on Stanford forums that keeps track of the Director's Cup standings every year thinks there is no way Stanford beats Texas this year.

1.PNG

It's interesting that he notes about Texas "One would think they have focused on the 15-sport limit."

I don't think that is directly true, although Texas has clearly, traditionally focused on a lot fewer sports than Stanford has.  The Director's Cup points system was revamped in order to NOT so severely penalize schools that don't field a ton of sports, and that change to the scoring system has certainly benefitted Texas and some other schools that field fewer teams.  But I wouldn't agree that Texas is "focusing on the 15-sport limit" as some attempt to game the system.  It's simply a result of the changes in the way the points are awarded, and that change is working as intended. 

Just now, utee94 said:

It's interesting that he notes about Texas "One would think they have focused on the 15-sport limit."

I don't think that is directly true, although Texas has clearly, traditionally focused on a lot fewer sports than Stanford has.  The Director's Cup points system was revamped in order to NOT so severely penalize schools that don't field a ton of sports, and that change to the scoring system has certainly benefitted Texas and some other schools that field fewer teams.  But I wouldn't agree that Texas is "focusing on the 15-sport limit" as some attempt to game the system.  It's simply a result of the changes in the way the points are awarded, and that change is working as intended. 

i don't know that texas is necessarily "gaming" the system for the benefit of the Director's Cup...which generally, no one really gives a shit about.

i think it is just more that the california schools naturally compete in more aquatic/beach based stuff like men's volleyball, beach volleyball, m & w water polo which are a bigger part of the culture there.  similarly, neither we or stanford compete in skiing or ice hockey.

i still personally think we should add men's soccer, both lacrosse teams, both fencing teams, and both water polo teams.  lots of people seem to want gymnastics and it is certainly a cultural fit but my personal bias is no thanks, don't care.  just like bowling and wrestling.  zero interest whatsoever.

Just now, sidis said:

i don't know that texas is necessarily "gaming" the system for the benefit of the Director's Cup...which generally, no one really gives a shit about.

i think it is just more that the california schools naturally compete in more aquatic/beach based stuff like men's volleyball, beach volleyball, m & w water polo which are a bigger part of the culture there.  similarly, neither we or stanford compete in skiing or ice hockey.

i still personally think we should add men's soccer, both lacrosse teams, both fencing teams, and both water polo teams.  lots of people seem to want gymnastics and it is certainly a cultural fit but my personal bias is no thanks, don't care.  just like bowling and wrestling.  zero interest whatsoever.

Right. We haven't really made any changes to our traditional approach.  Which is obviously quite different than the approach of Stanford and some other schools.

The thing that has changed, is the way the Director's Cup elects to award its points.  I never anything about it, but my assumption is that the change was the result of aneffort to become more inclusive of many schools, rather than simply being the "Stanford Cup" and awarding it to them because they field a huge number of sports which have very little competition within them.

I just thought his working that Texas might specifically be focusing on the 15-sport limit was interesting and a little snarky, because as you note, the all-sports trophies aren't really something Texas cares about, and have never in the past shaped our strategic approach toward which and how many sports we field.  

And my personal opinion is I'm fine with the sports we currently field and don't see any need to expand.  I'd be okay with men's soccer but then of course we'd have to add some amount of women's sports to offset.

The way I've heard it explained on numerous occasions over the years from either donors relatively close to the athletic department or by people within the AD/LHF is as such:

-Stanford views their remit as being responsible for putting athletes into the olympics and setting that standard. Therefore, they pursue competing in as many sports as viable without being ridiculous (ie., avoiding hockey because of regionality and bowling because it is beneath them).

-It should be noted that that raison d'etre was jeopardized by the pandemic. Stanford attempted to shutdown something like 15 sports (I didn't look this up, going off of memory of reading about it a year+ ago, so feel free to fact check) but the alums revolted, with the current athletes throwing a hissy fit, and committed to endow all sports into perpetuity.

-Texas, on the other hand, has long held a belief that spreading itself too thin would weaken their ability to compete for national titles across all sports. As such, they're committed to remaining focused on a limited number of sports that are supported regionally via competition and attempting to finish in the top 10 in all of them every year. 

-As such, if Texas was to add another sport, as they did with rowing, it would be carefully and believing that they had a right to win national titles in the sport. Women's gymnastics fits the latter question, however, there have been longstanding title IX related issues associated to it that someone else can bother explaining. 

-When Del Conte showed up, while the mantra of "staying thin to win" still persisted, the actions didn't support it. He's done well in cleaning that up across the board except as it pertains to women's soccer. Apparently, the dual forces of optics of firing another female coach for a female team that Plonsky hired and amazing recent recruiting classes have continued to buy a stay in execution for that mediocrity Kelly. 

I asked someone recently and there may be consideration of something new once inside the SEC, which I assumed to be WG. 

Texas and Stanford are about as close as any schools to endowing every spot on every roster and now Texas is attempting to build on that with the NIL efforts as well. 

I've never studied this, so if someone sees something factually wrong, let me know. I'm going off of a decade of conversations and nothing more.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The way I've heard it explained on numerous occasions over the years from either donors relatively close to the athletic department or by people within the AD/LHF is as such:

-Stanford views their remit as being responsible for putting athletes into the olympics and setting that standard. Therefore, they pursue competing in as many sports as viable without being ridiculous (ie., avoiding hockey because of regionality and bowling because it is beneath them).

-It should be noted that that raison d'etre was jeopardized by the pandemic. Stanford attempted to shutdown something like 15 sports (I didn't look this up, going off of memory of reading about it a year+ ago, so feel free to fact check) but the alums revolted, with the current athletes throwing a hissy fit, and committed to endow all sports into perpetuity.

-Texas, on the other hand, has long held a belief that spreading itself too thin would weaken their ability to compete for national titles across all sports. As such, they're committed to remaining focused on a limited number of sports that are supported regionally via competition and attempting to finish in the top 10 in all of them every year. 

-As such, if Texas was to add another sport, as they did with rowing, it would be carefully and believing that they had a right to win national titles in the sport. Women's gymnastics fits the latter question, however, there have been longstanding title IX related issues associated to it that someone else can bother explaining. 

-When Del Conte showed up, while the mantra of "staying thin to win" still persisted, the actions didn't support it. He's done well in cleaning that up across the board except as it pertains to women's soccer. Apparently, the dual forces of optics of firing another female coach for a female team that Plonsky hired and amazing recent recruiting classes have continued to buy a stay in execution for that mediocrity Kelly. 

I asked someone recently and there may be consideration of something new once inside the SEC, which I assumed to be WG. 

Texas and Stanford are about as close as any schools to endowing every spot on every roster and now Texas is attempting to build on that with the NIL efforts as well. 

I've never studied this, so if someone sees something factually wrong, let me know. I'm going off of a decade of conversations and nothing more.

Have you heard anything regarding men's soccer? There is definitely the recruiting base to succeed there. I know Title IX issues would abound, since WG carries less spots, but that seems to be a no-brainier if they seek to add a men's sport.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That all sounds about right to me, from what I've observed and heard over the decades.

We haven't clinched it yet, but we're in a good position and control our own destiny.

For us to lose, Stanford would need to win the baseball national championship and hope Texas track and field teams bomb the finals.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Have you heard anything regarding men's soccer? There is definitely the recruiting base to succeed there. I know Title IX issues would abound, since WG carries less spots, but that seems to be a no-brainier if they seek to add a men's sport.

Lacrosse as well.  We export a lot of good lax players to the east coast schools every year.

Here's the image from the above post. You have to use the points from the sports highlighted in red. You then pick the next best 15.
1662434714_DirectorsCup2022.thumb.png.64cd3c32e3122bb33a042c334b847d0e.png
Texas softball is now up to a minimum of 78 points after the win against UCLA.

Not 100% sure on how track and field team standings work. We've sent quite a few athletes to the championship. Is there an expected minimum final standing for us?

Top 5 finish for both men and women's track + 1-2 baseball wins in regionals should be enough insurance in the event that Stanford wins the baseball championship.

Obviously if softball and baseball keep winning, we should all but clinch the Cup before track is even completed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, pyrofiend said:

Not 100% sure on how track and field team standings work. We've sent quite a few athletes to the championship. Is there an expected minimum final standing for us?

Top 5 finish for both men and women's track

Texas is slight favorites to win the championship in both men and women's track. Florida the biggest challenger on the women's side and Georgia the biggest challenger on the men's side. 

It would take a major choke for either team to fall outside the top 5. It's more likely Texas wins the national title in both than either team falling outside the top 5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, AP101S said:

A top 15 finish for both track teams will probably be enough to guarantee a cup win. I'd be shocked if we weren't top 3 for both track teams though, so we should win the cup by >100 points easily.

Baseball are both guaranteed a (minimum) 64 points based on making supers.  Texas can add 10 extra points and take the lead for good if they win the softball title (100 points vs. 90 for 2nd place) 

Texas is #1 in Men's T&F - Stanford is #8
Texas is #1 in Women's T&F - Stanford is #19

It would be take monumental upsets in Eugene for Texas not to come out ahead of Stanford. 

Edited by Js1

• SDG changed the title to Your 2021 and now 2022 directors cup champions.