Tell Me About The Houston Oilers

ButtFumble

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.9818a4c70857e72ba6884c5a54d3c59d.jpg

cleaning out my mom's house for a move and found these Pizza Hut Oilers menus

get them at the estate sale or Surly special price of $500 each or 4 for $1,999 😁

Still looking for my "Houston Oilers #1" 45 record shaped like a football

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bud Adams bought the Oilers for $25,000, attempted to extort the county, before shipping the team to Tennessee. A few years later, the County happily funded a new stadium for a different team.

He died in 2013 and is buried in Forest Park Westheimer Cemetery. Caretakers there complain that so many people have pissed on his grave that they’re having a tough time keeping it dry enough for people to dance on it.

he was negotiating with the City for the land where toyota center is today as the Harris County/ Houston Sports Authority did not exist at the time it was really a personal grudge between he from Bob shit for brains Lanier  that resulted in the Houston Oilers leaving

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Ahem...

Breaking: The Tyler Rose, Earl Campbell backs vote on Robert E. Lee High  School name as action gains support | Local News | tylerpaper.com

The Tyler Rose is my alltime favorite football player. Period.

Obvious choice of alltime great Oiler is obvious.

The city of Houston quit on the Oilers before Bud Adams quit on Houston; anything to the contrary is revisionist history bullshit. I have season ticket stubs with my name on them from those last three years, any of you big fans or your big fan daddy’s can say the same?

Edited by Ignatius

The people in the know say Adams’s ho skank daughter is steadfast in keeping the name and/or color scheme from the Houston franchise. We should all plan to take a dump on her grave too. 

Entitlement is a term that gets thrown around a lot these days, but this lady was born into a nearly billion dollar inheritance and still feels that her or her father’s attachment to the Oilers nickname is greater than the sum of millions of Houstonian’s passion for the team. Bud is dead. Carpet bagger Bob Lanier is dead. Give/sell the name back, Amy Adams Seaskank!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Season ticket holder for most of the Moon era.

The only teM in the league without a TE on the roster for many years, IIRC.

1990-1994, and that’s sort of true. Detroit didn’t have one 1990-1991 and Atlanta had only a couple in name only but rarely used them.

• Like 1

The city of Houston quit on the Oilers before Bud Adams quit on Houston; anything to the contrary is revisionist history bullshit. I have season ticket stubs with my name on them from those last three years, any of you big fans or your big fan daddy’s can say the same?

He killed the Oilers. Flaunted its execution. Why would fans support the Oilers when they seemed to be headed out the door?

Walter O’Malley had good reasons for moving the Dodgers to LA. Never seen Brooklyn natives carrying his water.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

He killed the Oilers. Flaunted its execution. Why would fans support the Oilers when they seemed to be headed out the door?

Walter O’Malley had good reasons for moving the Dodgers to LA. Never seen Brooklyn natives carrying his water.

Bud had good reasons too. All he wanted was what every other owner got and the same deal we gave McNair. I think we carry his water now because we got an even worse owner in terms of on-field product and all-around fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Bud had good reasons too. All he wanted was what every other owner got and the same deal we gave McNair. I think we carry his water now because we got an even worse owner in terms of on-field product and all-around fun. 

he got $67 million to renovate The Astrodome that was not even paid off when he started to want another stajium.....$67 million on renovations seems like nothing now, but it was a shit load of money back then and it added 10,000 seats and took out the best score board in all of sports

he also needed to understand the state of the Houston and Texas economy in the mid 90s especially as someone that had made their money on oil....but he did not want to work with Houston and Harris County he wanted to be demanding and cheap on what he was offering to pay as part of a new stajium

also anyone that was a life long fan knew he was a cheap asshole for years.....he would get some great players, but he was always way too cheap to fill in a glaring hole on the team that was holding them back usually at QB......he ran Earl into the fucking ground while saddling him with QBs that were old and worn out.....when he had a really good Oline he paid shit for skill players or rode the few he had into the ground

he was just a cheap fuck....and Houston fans could look up the road to a team that was willing to pay to make things happen even in the same Texas economy and a team that played in a very old stajium even years after The Oilers left

The Cowboys stayed in their stajium for 10 years after The Oilers left and they won big while doing so....the stajium was not the issue

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Fans gave up on the Oilers a full season before negotiations with Nashville began, basically as soon as the game against KC ended. People complained about Adams breaking up the team, but 1994 was the first year of the cap and the Oilers were going to be millions over. Keeping it intact wasn’t an option. Funny, the initial cap was like $34MM; Patrick Mahomes would kill that alone today.

Houston also bailed on the Luv Ya Blue Oilers after the playoff loss against Oakland and stayed away for 8 years. The Oilers won a playoff game in 1987 for the first time in years, and won their 1988 opener on the road. Their home opener the next week against Oakland drew 33K. Band-fucking-wagon…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

A friend went nuts on me in high school for claiming I pocketed one of the old Shell station Houston Oilers high ball glasses during a house party. I did not. 

Going for $10 on ebay now. I think he'll survive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333536687816?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=333536687816&targetid=1269994814812&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027637&poi=&campaignid=11613470118&mkgroupid=121068526014&rlsatarget=pla-1269994814812&abcId=9300455&merchantid=7881784&gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21myeXwvmEZe4jMt27kfojD1EFanZL9oMSMoowFhADK2dICLWfoqF0TxoC6g0QAvD_BwE

Adam's daughter appears to not not be a bitch like our old man. The McNairs could make a reasonable offer and buy back the Oilers name and their history. But this will never happen because Cal is regarded. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

he got $67 million to renovate The Astrodome that was not even paid off when he started to want another stajium.....$67 million on renovations seems like nothing now, but it was a shit load of money back then and it added 10,000 seats and took out the best score board in all of sports

The $67MM was in exchange for signing a 10 year lease, starting in 1987. In early 1995 ‘negotiations’ started on a new stadium. While it’s technically true that he started making noise about a new stadium ‘before it was paid off’, this doesn’t seem to me to be the same kind of thing as renewing an apartment lease that you kick off 30 days prior to the expiration date. IIRC, he offered to pay 1/3 of the cost of the new stadium…

Edited by Ignatius

Fans gave up on the Oilers a full season before negotiations with Nashville began, basically as soon as the game against KC ended. People complained about Adams breaking up the team, but 1994 was the first year of the cap and the Oilers were going to be millions over. Keeping it intact wasn’t an option. Funny, the initial cap was like $34MM; Patrick Mahomes would kill that alone today.
Houston also bailed on the Luv Ya Blue Oilers after the playoff loss against Oakland and stayed away for 8 years. The Oilers won a playoff game in 1987 for the first time in years, and won their 1988 opener on the road. Their home opener the next week against Oakland drew 33K. Band-fucking-wagon…

The Oilers from 1981 to 1987 were a pile of shit. 87 was the strike year. What Brent Pease was a draw?

And how the hell do you know the attendance numbers from 1988? Is that from a Bud Adams biography?

So you’re like a Superfan who’s mad at Houstonians for shunning the Oilers and forcing Bud Adams to move?

Family member or not, if you’re blocking the entrance to his mausoleum for me to piss on, you’re going down.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Oilers from 1981 to 1987 were a pile of shit. 87 was the strike year. What Brent Pease was a draw?

And how the hell do you know the attendance numbers from 1988? Is that from a Bud Adams biography?

So you’re like a Superfan who’s mad at Houstonians for shunning the Oilers and forcing Bud Adams to move?

Family member or not, if you’re blocking the entrance to his mausoleum for me to piss on, you’re going down.

Lol motherfucker there’s something called the internet dipshit; you’re on it now. That’s where I get attendance numbers; it took all of 20 seconds.

Im not Superfan but I’m tired off hearing all of these credit card millionaires talk about what huge fans they were back in the day. From the point of view of a person who grew up in West Texas and started buying season tickets the day he moved to Houston, you motherfuckers are all full of shit about your fandom. You went to the games when they were good, you completely bailed when they weren’t. Cowboys fans had way more loyalty than you, and you want to pin it all on Bud fucking Adams…

23 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bud Adams bought the Oilers for $25,000, attempted to extort the county, before shipping the team to Tennessee. A few years later, the County happily funded a new stadium for a different team.

He died in 2013 and is buried in Forest Park Westheimer Cemetery. Caretakers there complain that so many people have pissed on his grave that they’re having a tough time keeping it dry enough for people to dance on it.

dont forget, bud adams was found dead because someone asked the police to go check on him 

• Like 1

A friend went nuts on me in high school for claiming I pocketed one of the old Shell station Houston Oilers high ball glasses during a house party. I did not. 
Going for $10 on ebay now. I think he'll survive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333536687816?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=333536687816&targetid=1269994814812&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027637&poi=&campaignid=11613470118&mkgroupid=121068526014&rlsatarget=pla-1269994814812&abcId=9300455&merchantid=7881784&gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21myeXwvmEZe4jMt27kfojD1EFanZL9oMSMoowFhADK2dICLWfoqF0TxoC6g0QAvD_BwE
Adam's daughter appears to not not be a bitch like our old man. The McNairs could make a reasonable offer and buy back the Oilers name and their history. But this will never happen because Cal is regarded. 

She’s already said that she would never relinquish the name or colors as long as she’s living.

So fuck her.

51 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bud knew what he was doing -- his crypt is about ten feet from the caretaker's cottage at Forest Park...Like the tattletale who had his desk right by the teacher's in school. Pissing / shitting on his grave would not be easy both because you might get caught in the act and then escape would be difficult. 

I defend him now, but only because I can see now in retrospect he was right, and the McNairs are so much worse. So yeah, I get wanting to piss on his grave...Just telling you it requires some commando logistics.