Tell Me About The Houston Oilers

ButtFumble

If you are a Houstonian born before 1990 and have accepted the Texans as a replacement for the Oilers I probably don’t want to know you.
if the Texans came along when you were a kid that’s one thing but to jump on the Texans bandwagon having once loved the Oilers is another. And what a lame outfit to sell out for. These so called fans deserve this shitty franchise. 

So should they have been Titans fans?

27 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

So should they have been Titans fans?

I had to just accept an orphan state.

Over time I have come to hate the Texans so much I pull for whoever they line up against every week. I thrive on the tears of Andre Ware and Mark Van de Whatshisface. It’s the most consistently rewarding fan experience I’ve ever had. 

it was the Rosencopter game that ultimately got me off the fence and in to this Frankly I Don’t Give a Damn / mockery state. I just ain’t got time for another perennially shitty team. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I had to just accept an orphan state.

Over time I have come to hate the Texans so much I pull for whoever they line up against every week. I thrive on the tears of Andre Ware and Mark Van de Whatshisface. It’s the most consistently rewarding fan experience I’ve ever had. 

Same, same.  On the rare occasion I pay any attention at all.

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Official. Titans will wear oilers unis during season. Moon hints it'd be versus the texans. Hopefully they do it here in Houston. Fill the stadium in Columbia blue, red and white.

they are trolling Houston so hard... Houston should have kept the name, logo, colors and history of the team.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Saint Tacky said:

How could they have done that without owning it?

The NFL allowed Cleveland to retain their name, the Browns, and colors & history when Art Modell moved them to Baltimore. There's a precedent. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

The NFL allowed Cleveland to retain their name, the Browns, and colors & history when Art Modell moved them to Baltimore. There's a precedent. 

The NFL brokered an agreement between Modell and the city of Cleveland. Modell agreed to give up name, logo, colors, etc. The league has zero proprietary interest in the Oilers logo, name, colors, etc., and as such, has no authority to transfer rights to a 3rd party.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

The NFL didn't "allow" anything. That was worked out beforehand and was a concession Modell made to Cleveland in the agreement to facilitate his departure because Cleveland had the leverage to do so.

Just now, Saint Tacky said:

The NFL didn't "allow" anything. That was worked out beforehand and was a concession Modell made to Cleveland in the agreement to facilitate his departure because Cleveland had the leverage to do so.

Okay, but why did Cleveland have more leverage than Houston?

Enlighten us

I don't know what obligations Modell still owed Cleveland. Clearly enough to be compelled to leave the team name and colors behind for the new owner.

I know that even before Bud's contract with Drayton McClane and the Astros expired, he had agreed to move the team. Once that Astrodome lease expired, he owed no obligations to his baseball landlord, the Harris County Sports Authority, or the City of Houston, and was free to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Official. Titans will wear oilers unis during season. Moon hints it'd be versus the texans. Hopefully they do it here in Houston. Fill the stadium in Columbia blue, red and white.

What a weird thing to do. They were the Tennessee Oilers for what, 2 years? People in Nashville don’t give a shit about that name/logo.

I’m all for the throwback thing, but that is usually because it celebrates a different era of the team. I can’t see a celebration of the 1997-98 Tennessee Oilers moving the needle for any fan of that franchise.

Also, it this is done just to “troll” houstonians, I’d change the Texans uniforms to something as closely resembling the oilers as legally possible, including the logo. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

That’s because it was part of the deal (along with the NFL guaranteeing Cleveland the next expansion team) the franchise made with Cleveland in order to drop their lawsuit. When the Oilers moved nobody gave a fuck; the city/county was too busy sucking Drayton “there’s nothing wrong with the Dome!” McLane’s dick. Of course, the second the Oilers announced their move, suddenly the Dome was a miserable piece of shit and Drayton had to have it replaced or he’d have to move to DC. So they built that, and 3 years later built a new football stadium anyway. That was about the time all of these ‘lifelong Oiler fans’ came out of the woodwork….

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I don't know what obligations Modell still owed Cleveland. Clearly enough to be compelled to leave the team name and colors behind for the new owner.

I know that even before Bud's contract with Drayton McClane and the Astros expired, he had agreed to move the team. Once that Astrodome lease expired, he owed no obligations to his baseball landlord, the Harris County Sports Authority, or the City of Houston, and was free to go.

I don't recall if Modell broke his lease at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, or what. He moved his team in the middle of the night in Mayflower trucks, though. Maybe that gave Cleveland some leverage? I don't care enough to look it up.

Just now, DFW Horn said:

I don't recall if Modell broke his lease at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, or what. He moved his team in the middle of the night in Mayflower trucks, though. Maybe that gave Cleveland some leverage? I don't care enough to look it up.

The middle of the night move was the team that left Baltimore (the Colts), not the team that moved to it (Browns)….

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s because it was part of the deal (along with the NFL guaranteeing Cleveland the next expansion team) the franchise made with Cleveland in order to drop their lawsuit. When the Oilers moved nobody gave a fuck; the city/county was too busy sucking Drayton “there’s nothing wrong with the Dome!” McLane’s dick. Of course, the second the Oilers announced their move, suddenly the Dome was a miserable piece of shit and Drayton had to have it replaced or he’d have to move to DC. So they built that, and 3 years later built a new football stadium anyway. That was about the time all of these ‘lifelong Oiler fans’ came out of the woodwork….

The worst part is they haven't done jackshit with the Astrodome. Just implode the sonofabitch already to give Reliant decent parking! Not that I'd buy tickets to a Texans game. Fuck 'em

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

The middle of the night move was the team that left Baltimore (the Colts), not the team that moved to it (Browns)….

That's right.

I get my greedy owners confused in my old age. D'oh

If the titans do the oilers game vs texans. Fans should show up in nothing but oilers gear. Really confuse cal. I agree Houston should have brokered something to keep the name, history, uniforms. The pettiness of the adams family knows no limits. In 25 years have 2 new stadiums built on taxpayers dollar.

I'm a steelers fan but my parents would take me to the astrodome to see them play the oilers every season when they both were in the afc central. 

I live outside Houston now and I see people wear clothes with the old logo and it's still symbolizes Houston.. It's going to be weird seeing TN wear that.. In Houston. 

• Rage+1 1

I went to HS in the mid-late ‘80s in SE Texas and loved the Oilers. The Cowboys were my #1 Team, but it was great that the TV Channels/NFL rarely had them both playing at the same time. One was either 12 or 3 on the clock - back to back.

Love ya Blue! and Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Houston should just tell the NFL that the Texans will have to leave unless the NFL forces the Adams’ to give the rights and history back to the city.  Worst case scenario Houston loses a shitty team that nobody gives a fuck about anyways.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Theres gotta be a big enough skeleton in that cunt Amy or the Adams Family closet in general that if Cal ever got a hold of it (and a pair of nuts) he would be able to use as leverage to get the Oilers name/history back for Houston. Heck I'd prob even be ok if Cal back channeled them some money for their dumb new stadium in exchange for getting the Oilers name back, but looks like they already fleeced the Nashville taxpayers out of enough that they wouldn't need that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

If the titans do the oilers game vs texans. Fans should show up in nothing but oilers gear. Really confuse cal. I agree Houston should have brokered something to keep the name, history, uniforms. The pettiness of the adams family knows no limits. In 25 years have 2 new stadiums built on taxpayers dollar.

Somehow this got smaller over the years?

Oilers.jpg

17 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I went to HS in the mid-late ‘80s in SE Texas and loved the Oilers. The Cowboys were my #1 Team, but it was great that the TV Channels/NFL rarely had them both playing at the same time. One was either 12 or 3 on the clock - back to back.

Love ya Blue! and Hook’em!!!

Same here. ‘87-‘91

My dad was a Dallas fan first (because they were first and Tom Landry being a horn)

Then when the Oilers drafted Campbell pops was in a pickle.  He still loved Dallas, but became a full blown Oilers fan.  Basically gave him an excuse to drink beer for 2 games.

• Hook 'Em 2

More future revenue would come if the Texans held the Oilers rights, even if they were just selling retro gear and did the once per season throwback game. McNair could buy the trademark outright or do profit sharing with them going forward. Adams is straight up trolling Houston NFL fans with her bitch face quotes, Oilers hat during the draft tv broadcast, now wearing Oilers uniforms when playing against the Texans. She isn’t trolling the McNairs since they don’t care. She isn’t trolling Bob Lanier since he’s as dead as Bud. She’s just being spiteful to the fans. That should be reason for Goodell or the owners to jump and in and put pressure on her to make a move or STFU. 

As I mentioned earlier, Texans did some fan feedback with a high priced consultant firm after last season and the first time they failed to sellout the stadium. With astonishment, they learned people wanted Oilers colors and/or logo (but not a knockoff the like the XFL Roughnecks). Hopefully it’s setting the tone against a potential trademark lawsuit from Adams (who somehow owns the right to Columbia Blue-whatever red-white combo on an NFL team), Hannah citing the old HPD police cars and other examples of Houston being linked to a lighter shade of blue, and they are working with a design team for “H-town Blue” to be used in 2024 uniforms. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 12:08 AM, tx 3 putt said:

damn i miss nfl football in houston ...

Our family was in the Dome for that insane rally. I was 7 or 8.

I remember seeing a guy with a giant THE REFEREES SUCK poster and asking my parents if it said what they suck on the back of the sign. The seemingly incomplete sentence boggled my young mind. Subject was rapidly changed.

Still the coolest non-game sporting event I’ve ever attended.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

More future revenue would come if the Texans held the Oilers rights, even if they were just selling retro gear and did the once per season throwback game. McNair could buy the trademark outright or do profit sharing with them going forward. Adams is straight up trolling Houston NFL fans with her bitch face quotes, Oilers hat during the draft tv broadcast, now wearing Oilers uniforms when playing against the Texans. She isn’t trolling the McNairs since they don’t care. She isn’t trolling Bob Lanier since he’s as dead as Bud. She’s just being spiteful to the fans. That should be reason for Goodell or the owners to jump and in and put pressure on her to make a move or STFU. 

As I mentioned earlier, Texans did some fan feedback with a high priced consultant firm after last season and the first time they failed to sellout the stadium. With astonishment, they learned people wanted Oilers colors and/or logo (but not a knockoff the like the XFL Roughnecks). Hopefully it’s setting the tone against a potential trademark lawsuit from Adams (who somehow owns the right to Columbia Blue-whatever red-white combo on an NFL team), Hannah citing the old HPD police cars and other examples of Houston being linked to a lighter shade of blue, and they are working with a design team for “H-town Blue” to be used in 2024 uniforms. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The NFL isn’t going to pressure them at all; they’re going to reward them with a Super Bow for building a new stadium…

It’s been discussed that they put security cameras up because many Houstonians enjoy emptying their bladder on his grave. 

I really don’t understand the point of the Adams family continuing the troll job on Houston. They never stopped living here, Bud is buried here, their offices are here. The elected officials that Bud battled and Draymond McClane are all gone. It’s just Amy Seaskunk being a bitch to Joe Oiler fans.  

• Hook 'Em 1