Tell Me About The Houston Oilers

ButtFumble

On 7/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, markstanco said:

Most of y’all here are good fans. But when a team leaves town it says more about the fans and city than the owner.

Imagine the cowboys or giants moving. No way. Real fans there.

I don't think that applies to oilers fans and their s*** f*** owner Bud Adams.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would not blame the failures of the Oilers or the Texans on HLSR. Reliant/NRG being designed to function for rodeo doesn’t make it an inferior NFL venue. Rodeo doesn’t cause Adams to be a cheap asshole or the McNairs to be Joel Osteen-loving idiots. 

Bob Lanier was also an asshat. How did that carpet bagging jerkoff get the Grand Parkway 99 named after him?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I would not blame the failures of the Oilers or the Texans on HLSR. Reliant/NRG being designed to function for rodeo doesn’t make it an inferior NFL venue. Rodeo doesn’t cause Adams to be a cheap asshole or the McNairs to be Joel Osteen-loving idiots. 

Bob Lanier was also an asshat. How did that carpet bagging jerkoff get the Grand Parkway 99 named after him?

He was from Baytown...weird definition of carpetbagger but i'll allow it.

What did y'all think of the third and long call for the Texans in the first half of the Brown's game? Third-and-15 from Houston's own 38 yard line. Taylor connected with Brandin Cooks for a 13-yard gain, setting up fourth-and-2 from the Cleveland 49. However, the Brown's jumped offsides. The Texans declined the offsides call and then punted the ball. It went for a touchback.

Edited by Bevo
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

What did y'all think of the third and long call for the Texans in the first half of the Brown's game? Third-and-15 from Houston's own 38 yard line. Taylor connected with Brandin Cooks for a 13-yard gain, setting up fourth-and-2 from the Cleveland 49. However, the Brown's jumped offsides. The Texans declined the offsides call and then punted the ball. It went for a touchback.

Texans are dead to me. This year, I like the Raiders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

2125905803_Texanssuck.thumb.png.c380d2ba24fd7876b466119230ad3ac0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, tx ind said:

Nothing but love for Les and Crane.  All the others can suck it.

Yeah the Houston sports owners have largely sucked or been vastly ineffectual.  To me the jury is still out on Crane due to firing of Luhnow and I'm still not thrilled about the AL move.  Les Alexander largely got lucky winning the two championships in his first two seasons but his insistence on fighting for mediocrity over a tank and rebuild approach was super annoying and largely why the team still has the albatross contracts.  It's important to note that the Rockets will have played in 55 seasons after this year they won the NBA Finals in their 27th year of operation.  This will be the 27th consecutive season without an NBA Finals appearance including a run of 16 out of 17 seasons without a single playoff series win.

It's a sad state of affairs that those are our high water marks.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:38 AM, Bevo said:

Never seen that in my life, and I’ve seen a lot of football in 53 years. There’s a reason that guy has never been a head coach. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Never seen that in my life, and I’ve seen a lot of football in 53 years. There’s a reason that guy has never been a head coach. 

I could see it being the right move when it is 3rd and 40 and you pick up 30 with an offsides, but never anything like that.

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, markstanco said:

Most of y’all here are good fans. But when a team leaves town it says more about the fans and city than the owner.

Imagine the cowboys or giants moving. No way. Real fans there.

I'm new to this thread, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. But this might be the worst take on the internet ever. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

New here, huh.  It was also the most obvious troll on the internet ever.  Whoosh. 

Hey dipshit - You lost any and all privileges to call someone out for being gullible with this unbridled stupidity: 

Fucking moron. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I promise you there is nothing politically partisan about calling @markstanco a dumbass. In fact, I think if everyone took a second to stop and reflect on @markstanco's dumbassery, we could all come together as a country and heal. I believe that if all the children of the world came together, held hands, and sung songs about how much of a dumbass that @markstanco is, we could probably have world peace.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

The Oilers moving was a travesty. They were an easy team to root for. Loved Moon.

We played a lot of street football when I was a kid, dodging cars, etc. I had a good stretch of throws at QB, won some games. I was pretty proud when we were picking positions one game and someone said “QB should be Dan Pastorini here.”

I was immediately tackled and broke a rib.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

New on the YT.

It's a shame I wasn't alive to see Kenny Burrough play (or see any of the Luv Ya Blue! era). I guess the closest comparison I have for Burrough is Haywood Jeffires.

Paul Warfield

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

New on the YT.

It's a shame I wasn't alive to see Kenny Burrough play (or see any of the Luv Ya Blue! era). I guess the closest comparison I have for Burrough is Haywood Jeffires.

Haywood is the closest comparison as far as height, but 00 was an accomplished route runner as well; I thin the best comparison there would be Drew Hill.

It’s hard to compare these guys though because 00 played a lot of his career in the days when you could push guys all the way down the field until the ball went in the air. It required a lot different type of receiver, though to be fair it required a lot different kind of CB….

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

I watched this game live on TV as a young boy. Even back then, I wondered how these guys could play in the winter cold. If you've ever visited Cleveland in December, it is not pleasant.

William Fuller was a hell of a defensive end. The Oilers had Allen Pinkett and Lorenzo White in the same backfield! Warren Moon was doing Moon things making all the wideouts look good in the Run and Shoot offense which featured exactly zero TEs.

And how did Matt Stovall miss that 18 yard FGA? I guess the field was just that slippery. 

All around this game was a good memory.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Oilers are worth next to nothing to the Adams family. The Texans franchise value would increase about a $billion if they acquired the Oilers rights. Everything has a price.

Spite has a price tag, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bud had a stipulation in his will that his descendants could not sell the Oilers rights to a team in Houston. 

Goodell and the other NFL owners could use pressure and leverage to make it happen if they were so inclined. I don’t think anyone, even Titans fans, can honestly say the world and NFL is better off without the nickname Oilers and those uniforms in Houston. Bob McNair incorrectly assumed it was better to start with a clean slate after the bad taste Adams and raccoon toupee left in Houstonians’ mouths. The McNair family’s pride makes them not want to make a change either. 

26 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

If they bring back the Oilers, the coach should be required to coach every game in a pimp coat and a cowboy hat.  C9E245E0-D559-4312-A540-152B5CA2FE54.jpeg.3b40bf4a2acc9faf9b193b56ef9e5c4c.jpeg

Met Bum at the Simonton rodeo when I was a kid.  

But, I agree with Horn Dogg... only NFL team I care about it the Oilers... Texans are some team that plays in Houston... bring back the Oilers and I'm on board, too.  No... not the Tennessee Oilers.  The Houston Oilers.

Missing Rings: 1979 Houston Oilers – Luv Ya' Blue | Taylor Blitz Times

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’ve never been able to bring myself to like the Texans.  If they became the Houston Oilers again I would be right back on board.  I don’t know what kind of psychology is involved here, but I can’t stand seeing another Houston NFL team named anything other than the Oilers.

Same

• Hook 'Em 1

Spite has a price tag, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bud had a stipulation in his will that his descendants could not sell the Oilers rights to a team in Houston. 

Goodell and the other NFL owners could use pressure and leverage to make it happen if they were so inclined. I don’t think anyone, even Titans fans, can honestly say the world and NFL is better off without the nickname Oilers and those uniforms in Houston. Bob McNair incorrectly assumed it was better to start with a clean slate after the bad taste Adams and raccoon toupee left in Houstonians’ mouths. The McNair family’s pride makes them not want to make a change either. 

Any legal eagles want to weigh in?

“You can lose a trademark in a variety of ways. You can lose a mark through abandonment. A mark will be considered abandoned if you stop using it for three consecutive years and you have no intent to resume its use. You can also lose a mark through improper licensing or improper assignment.”

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Any legal eagles want to weigh in?

“You can lose a trademark in a variety of ways. You can lose a mark through abandonment. A mark will be considered abandoned if you stop using it for three consecutive years and you have no intent to resume its use. You can also lose a mark through improper licensing or improper assignment.”

They are using the mark. You can buy all sorts of "Titans throwback" merch on-line. https://shop.tennesseetitans.com/collections/titans-throwback-collection 

This one would be my favorite, if it weren't blasphemy ... https://shop.tennesseetitans.com/products/ttannv0430-oilers-earl-campbell-4x6-plaque

Luv Ya Blue

If you are a Houstonian born before 1990 and have accepted the Texans as a replacement for the Oilers I probably don’t want to know you.

if the Texans came along when you were a kid that’s one thing but to jump on the Texans bandwagon having once loved the Oilers is another. And what a lame outfit to sell out for. These so called fans deserve this shitty franchise. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1