What's the most you ever spent on fireworks for 4th of July or New Years Eve?

I'm amazed at the amount of stuff my old neighborhood would blast away on the "Fireworks Holidays."  on NYE, at midnight the sky would light up as if it was daytime. I had neighbors who would buy $1000 worth of shit and go back for more because they started shooting that stuff off on the 2nd or 3rd of July, and didn't think they had enough for Independence Day.

I am pretty sure the most I have ever spent on fireworks was about $120.  We didn't do that much the following year either.

Post a receipt if you'd like, or post why you don't buy any boom-booms...

Edited by slorch

I'm pretty lame. Don't think I've ever spent $100 and that was on fun stuff like bottle rockets and roman candles. Thought it was wiser to watch other people blow their money on the boom booms.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I'm amazed at the amount of stuff my old neighborhood would blast away on the "Fireworks Holidays."  on NYE, at midnight the sky would light up as if it was daytime. I had neighbors who would buy $1000 worth of shit...

We were neighbors?  Never went back though.  Larry and I down the street split it.  So more like $500 each.  

In my old cul-de-sac we used to pool our money and put on a show.  At first it was $50, then $100 until it got to the point that they were asking for $200 per neighbor.  We did it one year but then we started going out to the lake for the weekend.  But that’s the most I’ve ever spent like for just our family was probably around $120-140.  Mostly roman candles, satellites, chasers, and bottle rockets.

around $350.   and that was probably 20 years ago.  Had a roomate whose parents owned a farm about 90 miles from the city.  which was in an unicorporated rural area, so no fireworks rules.  the 3 roommates bought about $1000 worth (mostly morters and multiple shot packs)  and set it off with his family for about 2 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to a friend’s lakehouse for the 4th a few years ago.  We’re driving out there and I suggested we stop and pick up some fireworks.  Guy’s wife started laughing.  Once she stopped I was told they had plenty already.  We arrived  and I was shown the fireworks shed.  Probably a 10x15 structure with shelves on all sides filled completely with the overflow on the floor in the middle.  I was impressed.

51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Went to a friend’s lakehouse for the 4th a few years ago.  We’re driving out there and I suggested we stop and pick up some fireworks.  Guy’s wife started laughing.  Once she stopped I was told they had plenty already.  We arrived  and I was shown the fireworks shed.  Probably a 10x15 structure with shelves on all sides filled completely with the overflow on the floor in the middle.  I was impressed.

Had that happened last weekend at a buddies place outside of Granbury. Never seen that many fireworks outside of stands.

I think I may have spent 80 bucks once. Neighbors always brought the big stuff out so didn't need much

Edited by Zepol87

8 hours ago, slorch said:

I'm amazed at the amount of stuff my old neighborhood would blast away on the "Fireworks Holidays."  on NYE, at midnight the sky would light up as if it was daytime. I had neighbors who would buy $1000 worth of shit and go back for more because they started shooting that stuff off on the 2nd or 3rd of July, and didn't think they had enough for Independence Day.

I am pretty sure the most I have ever spent on fireworks was about $120.  We didn't do that much the following year either.

Post a receipt if you'd like, or post why you don't buy any boom-booms...

A proper 4th of July by  joe dude buying stuff in the good states will be $4-5k easy.  We watched a guy out a barge off the shore of his cottage last night and  he put on a display for an hour .  I bet he dropped about $10k there were at least 2 other people doing it within a quarter mile radius and for the same time .  I project $20k was spent at least at those 3 private launch sites 

it was glorous to watch on the water

• Hook 'Em 1

I usually get an Excalibur mortar pack, the King Assortment and at least one 12+ shot cake for the finally.

I sent my kids to the fireworks shop with a $300 budget to get some as my stash was pretty low and they spent $450. Inflation is real.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A proper 4th of July by  joe dude buying stuff in the good states will be $4-5k easy.  We watched a guy out a barge off the shore of his cottage last night and  he put on a display for an hour .  I bet he dropped about $10k there were at least 2 other people doing it within a quarter mile radius and for the same time .  I project $20k was spent at least at those 3 private launch sites 

it was glorous to watch on the water

This is how you do it. Ex BIL did similar on his place in NC. I think he was buying shit all year long, iirc one of the East coast states sold year round (MD in the late 80's?). He traveled for work so he'd build up a stash and then go nuckin futs. 

• Like 1

We have an in with a big supplier so we are usually able to buy at wholesale.  We buy about $2,000 or so, get the wholesale price plus a 15% discount.  Usually takes about 30-40 minutes to shoot them all and that is moving pretty fast (four tables with 2 people per table).  This year, different story.  Due to supply constraints, had to pay retail so got about a third of the amount that we usually get (still spent the same amount).  Only took about 12 minutes to fire them off this year.  Still was a pretty good show.

One of these days, I'll retire from handling it all and just enjoy it.