ESPN Has NBA Coverage Issues

Patrick Bateman

I understand this is a sensitive issue and has the potential to tumble down a rabbit hole, but hopefully everyone can post about it respectfully here, because it's basketball news.

This is interesting.  A little context, Nichols, who has a very long career with ESPN and other outlets and is generally respected, pounced on being one of the lead NBA reporters and media talking heads when Michelle Beadle started getting shit for her political takes and tiring of the new ESPN hierarchy and position on social issues.  Nichols mother-in-law is also Diane Sawyer and it's thought that she certainly may have helped her with contacts and access...... it's who you know.  Nichols history is pretty clean regardless and she positioned herself as the "let's stick to the game" girl for ESPN and now this....

Two weeks seems light for breaking privacy policies in this manner.  I doubt my firm would react so lightly.

Apparently there was almost a planned boycott from the NBA Finals team including Woj.  Maria's contract is up potentially during the NBA Finals.  This is a fucking mess for them considering this was the type of social content they explicitly were trying to avoid.  It seems obvious someone's gonna go and it looks like Taylor has all the leverage right now.  She was offered 5m/year per reports a few days ago and turned it down.... Damn.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is tangential at best but back when I used to watch sports center I hated basketball season because they would show sooooooooo many nba scoring plays and half the top 10 would be random dunks. Worth 2 points same as a 12 foot jumper.  And I just don’t care for basketball enough to want to see all of that.  I assume the same for a non baseball fan when they fill the show with mid inning home runs.   But at least in baseball (and football and hockey) there’s only a handful of scoring plays each game. In basketball there’s a hundred scoring plays a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Team Taylor. If Woj and the rest of the group support her I feel good about this. He lands on the right side of these issues and I am sure there is more there than what has been reported. This is just the issue coming to a head publicly. 

Rachel Nichols is, as stated, the beneficiary of her mother-in-law helping her. Maria Taylor is someone I listen to when I do see her on ESPN because she is good at her job. I have a friend that likes her too, but purely for how she looks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nichols really didn’t say anything too bad. If anything she is spot on with her criticism of ESPN. She is pretty good at her job and she should have been in the Finals seat. She is going to be hurt in this because of her target. Taylor is also really good and doesn’t deserve to be in this mess. But the story should be about ESPN’s inability to keep two excellent women around and happy instead of an insane amount of mediocre male reporters and analysts. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Apparently there was almost a planned boycott from the NBA Finals team including Woj.  Maria's contract is up potentially during the NBA Finals.  This is a fucking mess for them considering this was the type of social content they explicitly were trying to avoid.  It seems obvious someone's gonna go and it looks like Taylor has all the leverage right now.  She was offered 5m/year per reports a few days ago and turned it down.... Damn.

If you're referring to the same reports that I read, that 5m/year reported offer was couched in terms that were extremely vague and those numbers seemed to only be mentioned as a means to paint Taylor as a diva. In fact I believe this recent Rachel Nichols news was leaked in direct response to ESPN attempting to characterize Taylor as a temperamental, difficult person while conducting contract negotiations. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Nichols really didn’t say anything too bad. If anything she is spot on with her criticism of ESPN. She is pretty good at her job and she should have been in the Finals seat. She is going to be hurt in this because of her target. Taylor is also really good and doesn’t deserve to be in this mess. But the story should be about ESPN’s inability to keep two excellent women around and happy instead of an insane amount of mediocre male reporters and analysts. 

This 100%

47 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If you're referring to the same reports that I read, that 5m/year reported offer was couched in terms that were extremely vague and those numbers seemed to only be mentioned as a means to paint Taylor as a diva. In fact I believe this recent Rachel Nichols news was leaked in direct response to ESPN attempting to characterize Taylor as a temperamental, difficult person while conducting contract negotiations. 

I agree with this. The trope of painting a black woman as angry anytime they take a hard line in the sand on things, in this case contract issues that may or may not even exist right now, is old and needs to be retired. Pay the woman and tell a few of the guys on staff not carrying their weight that they are free agents.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yea, I've read this opinion and it doesn't make sense to me unless ESPN is resigned to lose her.  Why burn another on-air talent for leverage with Taylor?  All you're doing is painting Taylor as the victim and giving her more juice.  That's a media debacle and illogical.  Now maybe ESPN misjudged the leak and is surprised by the blowback, but they pay firms multi-millions of dollars for media branding and marketing, they should be smarter than this.  If it makes Nichols and ESPN look bad, while making Taylor a sympathetic figure then it would figure this was leaked by Maria's team or maybe it's just happenstance, but I find that hard to believe.  Personally, I think if Taylor is amenable to coming back, she has ESPN over a barrel here and she gets to set a market she's probably not worth, but fuck it, I say get your money, Maria.  Nichols may be fucked here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, I've read this opinion and it doesn't make sense to me unless ESPN is resigned to lose her.  Why burn another on-air talent for leverage with Taylor?  All you're doing is painting Taylor as the victim and giving her more juice.  That's a media debacle and illogical.  Now maybe ESPN misjudged the leak and is surprised by the blowback, but they pay firms multi-millions of dollars for media branding and marketing, they should be smarter than this.  If it makes Nichols and ESPN look bad, while making Taylor a sympathetic figure then it would figure this was leaked by Maria's team or maybe it's just happenstance, but I find that hard to believe.  Personally, I think if Taylor is amenable to coming back, she has ESPN over a barrel here and she gets to set a market she's probably not worth, but fuck it, I say get your money, Maria.  Nichols may be fucked here.

Which is stupid because she did nothing wrong. 

51 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This too.

And NBA Countdown will never be inside the NBA no matter how hard it tries.

Inside the NBA is way more entertaining, but it's "analysis" actually sucks for the modern game.  All 3 of the analysts are fun and have good chemistry but Shaq and Charles particularly look like dinosaurs who are screaming "Get off my lawn", when discussing the intricacies of the modern game.  ESPN should try to counter that with great content, but the model has been time tested..... lady/vet anchor, surround them by entertaining ex-jocks who have specious credibility and arbitrarily create debate or conflict..... rinse and repeat.  Fans deserve better actually..... but again, highly entertaining, for nothing more than they're always showing their ass when trying to break stuff down....

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Inside the NBA is way more entertaining, but it's "analysis" actually sucks for the modern game.  All 3 of the analysts are fun and have good chemistry but Shaq and Charles particularly look like dinosaurs who are screaming "Get off my lawn", when discussing the intricacies of the modern game.  ESPN should try to counter that with great content, but the model has been time tested..... lady/vet anchor, surround them by entertaining ex-jocks who have specious credibility and arbitrarily create debate or conflict..... rinse and repeat.  Fans deserve better actually..... but again, highly entertaining, for nothing more than they're always showing their ass when trying to break stuff down....

Most fans are fucking idiots and would change the channel if some intelligent being broke down plays and explained strategy. The NFL does the same shit. Both coverages are Days of Our Lives. 

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Which is stupid because she did nothing wrong. 

200.gif?cid=95b2794411ad009da73280e4c76e

Tend to agree, but those hot mics, man...... Gotta be more careful.  It does show a little lack of awareness, but I absolutely can understand and sympathize with her perspective.  It's a little duplicitous if the rumors are true about her tact when she slipped in Beadle's spot when she was going thru her stuff, but turnabout looks to be fair play at the worldwide leader.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I guess I wasn't clear. The theory is that ESPN released Maria's contract demands and in response Maria's team released the Rachel Nichols "Maria only got the job because she's black" recordings. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

200.gif?cid=95b2794411ad009da73280e4c76e

Tend to agree, but those hot mics, man...... Gotta be more careful.  It does show a little lack of awareness, but I absolutely can understand and sympathize with her perspective.  It's a little duplicitous if the rumors are true about her tact when she slipped in Beadle's spot when she was going thru her stuff, but turnabout looks to be fair play at the worldwide leader.

ESPN has also gotta worry about getting sued to Bolivia if Tits McGee gets demoted or fired over this. 

• Fuck You 1

For some reason Espin rolls with guys who did absolutely nothing worthy during their careers. And rolls them out like basketball royalty. I can't figure why they don't use Bruce Bowen more.

Hell I would rather listen to C Webb than Jay or Jalen.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

For some reason Espin rolls with guys who did absolutely nothing worthy during their careers. And rolls them out like basketball royalty. I can't figure why they don't use Bruce Bowen more.

Hell I would rather listen to C Webb than Jay or Jalen.

Do they still employ Tim Legler? The one hire they have on any platform that makes no sense to me is Dan Orlovsky. I am sure he is a nice guy, but every time I see him all I think of his him running right out of the end zone for a safety during that 0-16 Lions season in 2008.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do they still employ Tim Legler? The one hire they have on any platform that makes no sense to me is Dan Orlovsky. I am sure he is a nice guy, but every time I see him all I think of his him running right out of the end zone for a safety during that 0-16 Lions season in 2008.

Oh that's a good one. I'm pretty sure he is still there.

57 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Maybe just shut up grandpa, wait for the box score in your daily newspaper.

It won't be for the shitass NBA...

How's the unemployment these days?

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Dan Orlovski is a self righteous douchebag who suffers from delusions of grandeur. he's also infatuated with his admittedly large hands, and cannot say a single word without gesticulating in some form or fashion. i don't even watch espn if it isn't PTI or live sports,  it I've seen enough of Orlovski to megaloathe him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slorch said:

It won't be for the shitass NBA...

How's the unemployment these days?

If you hatew the NBA and ESPN why even bother posting in this thread. Everything with you is the same, you have total ignorance of the subject and you pop in with your Bill Cosby beliefs about how great pudding pops are.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If you hatew the NBA and ESPN why even bother posting in this thread. Everything with you is the same, you have total ignorance of the subject and you pop in with your Bill Cosby beliefs about how great pudding pops are.

So the people in the OP are household names?

No they aren't.  Not even fucking close.  They never will be either.

Bill Cosby shot?  LOLz  what's the connection there? 

Edited by slorch

Accidentally recording yourself venting your sour grapes over getting passed over for a gig, uploading it to the work server, and then calling it a “spy video of a female alone in her hotel room” is a bit much. Spare me the self-righteous victim status because you didn’t know how to work your phone. 

We all need a space to vent our ugly thoughts about colleagues, but if we upload those thoughts on the shared work drive, don’t be surprised if some bridges are burned.

• Like 1

I don't think Nichols offense was that great but the fundamental issue with it is that she expressed that she thinks the only reason Taylor could rise to her position is essentially because of affirmative action. Not that she's good enough at her job, or that she works her ass off, it would have to be a diversity hire. It's tough to be white these days. I mean I'm kidding but it sort of is. A person's first reaction when something they've worked for may be taken away from them is to try to hold on to that because they think they are the best at what they do. But the mindset has to change that somehow if a person of color is on the other side of that, that you assume that it must be a diversity thing. I can totally see why Taylor was hurt by this but I'm surprised that Team MT can't sympathize a bit more with RN unless there is more to the story. Then again I'm not in those shoes. 

The bottom line though to me is who fucking cares, ESPN's NBA show sucks and I would never make it a point to tune in other than to ogle Maria Taylor. Meanwhile Inside is basically my favorite show on TV. I legitimately get pissed when I realize that a big game is on the 4 letter instead of TNT. 

25 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't think Nichols offense was that great but the fundamental issue with it is that she expressed that she thinks the only reason Taylor could rise to her position is essentially because of affirmative action. Not that she's good enough at her job, or that she works her ass off, it would have to be a diversity hire. It's tough to be white these days. I mean I'm kidding but it sort of is. A person's first reaction when something they've worked for may be taken away from them is to try to hold on to that because they think they are the best at what they do. But the mindset has to change that somehow if a person of color is on the other side of that, that you assume that it must be a diversity thing. I can totally see why Taylor was hurt by this but I'm surprised that Team MT can't sympathize a bit more with RN unless there is more to the story. Then again I'm not in those shoes. 

The bottom line though to me is who fucking cares, ESPN's NBA show sucks and I would never make it a point to tune in other than to ogle Maria Taylor. Meanwhile Inside is basically my favorite show on TV. I legitimately get pissed when I realize that a big game is on the 4 letter instead of TNT. 

I guess I'm on the complete opposite side of this. Why would Team MT sympathize with someone who appears to fundamentally believe that MT isn't qualified for her job?

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe it's because every time I see her she's talking to Jalen rose, but I don't think Taylor is that good. Not like Nichols is hall of Fame material either. Everybody loses. ESPN will continue to show more Stephen a Smith until that's all it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yup, all this.

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Legler is still there but only gets segments every so often.  He is still doing his segments from home

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Dan Orlovski is a self righteous douchebag who suffers from delusions of grandeur. he's also infatuated with his admittedly large hands, and cannot say a single word without gesticulating in some form or fashion. i don't even watch espn if it isn't PTI or live sports,  it I've seen enough of Orlovski to megaloathe him.

Cant sand that fucker.    And its not cause I'm a fan of the Lions.    Its cause he's a jackass who thinks he is the smartest dude in the room.

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I guess I wasn't clear. The theory is that ESPN released Maria's contract demands and in response Maria's team released the Rachel Nichols "Maria only got the job because she's black" recordings. 

This is the way I took it.

14 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

If you are an African American in the business world, by the time you get to a solid level of employment you have heard the age old Affirmative Action claims umpteen times, even though any AA can tell you it's exactly the OPPOSITE of affirmative action inside of most businesses. Not only are you NOT going to be sympathetic about those comments, but you are likely to be pretty damned mad. Yet again someone is making the claim that you didn't work hard to get where you are. IMO, she played this exactly how she was supposed to. A woman publicly announced that the only reason you got the job is because of diversity. The company the woman is talking about is publicly trying to shame you by using the age old "Angry Black Woman" label, to gain leverage in their contract negotiations. Choose the right time to drop the recordings to regain leverage from both parties and get that once in a lifetime contract.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not clear in the article, did ESPN replace RN for the 2020 NBA playoffs with MT?  Or was RN simply commenting on her being added to the broadcast team for that event?  

The former. Rachel wanted the gig hosting. Maria got it. 

I'm biased because I think that, at least pre-pandemic and doing shows over Zoom, The Jump was the best original content that ESPN has created since the original round of 30 for 30's. Pretty much the only show on their network that focused on the positive aspects of sport, rather than tearing guys down; some decent analysis without going to deep in the analytics weeds; and just enough dorky NBA humor to keep it fun. Of course, ESPN didn't bother ever promoting it, and stuck it on shitty time slots in favor of their "dudes yelling at each other" shows

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm biased because I think that, at least pre-pandemic and doing shows over Zoom, The Jump was the best original content that ESPN has created since the original round of 30 for 30's. Pretty much the only show on their network that focused on the positive aspects of sport, rather than tearing guys down; some decent analysis without going to deep in the analytics weeds; and just enough dorky NBA humor to keep it fun. Of course, ESPN didn't bother ever promoting it, and stuck it on shitty time slots in favor of their "dudes yelling at each other" shows

Agreed.  I love the Jump and overall have liked Nichols.   She said a shitty thing though.   It could be indicative of deeper thoughts it could just be her being a sore loser.   Either way its not a good look.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

sounds like this is the best thing that could possibly happen to a show that nobody, including ESPN execs, cares about.

This. We are discussing ESPN's pre-game show the day before the NBA finals. This is the best thing that ever happened to that show. I might actually pay attention to it for once.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slorch said:

So the people in the OP are household names?

No they aren't.  Not even fucking close.  They never will be either.

Bill Cosby shot?  LOLz  what's the connection there? 

If you don't know about something, maybe just read and learn.  And Maria Taylor is on College Gameday, ABC College football and does sideline for the NFL.  She was a college volleyball player and women's basketball player.  She's in the prime of her career and on the cusp of being a household name to people that bother to pay attention, if she's not already.  You're posts come across like this....

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gotcha.  I misunderstood.

“I just want them to go somewhere else — it’s in my contract, by the way; this job is in my contract in writing,” Nichols told Mendelsohn, referring to hosting coverage during the N.B.A. finals a few minutes after saying ESPN was “feeling pressure” about racial diversity.

So this is the most interesting quote from Nichols IMO.  If she's correct (she probably wasn't), then ESPN is in breach of contract and she could sue them, but to what end.  It's fairly well known that talking head personalities don't do well away from ESPN except for rare exceptions so she probably just took it for the team and planned her next move.  These quotes are going to blow that up for her.

• Hook 'Em 1