ESPN Has NBA Coverage Issues

Patrick Bateman

I have never and will never watch a sporting event because of whom is calling a game from the booth or is reporting from the sideline. Don't renew either of their contracts and replace them with any hot chick with big tits that's halfway intelligent, pay them $500 k a year and I'd wager their ratings don't take a hit at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That story is trending..... it's going crazy and is the Ersan and Rachel rumor.  

Interesting perspective.  They're 5 parts, but interesting.  I think maybe what's being lost in the story of some catfight is how shitty ESPN is with managing these things and the culture there has always been talked about as..... challenging.  The higher ups have known about this situation for months but couldn't manage it well, maybe they shouldn't be in management then.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

anybody here watch Big Brother? the cast is incredibly formulaic every year, and when the cast list is released you can pretty much always pencil in one angry black woman and one black dude included to keep her company. this year the cast comes out and there's POC everywhere. it was so noticeable. what's different this year? CBS has a new POC quota that they're filling. if i say, "CBS upped the black cast members by 400% because of their policies", is that a racist statement? of course not. and that's essentially all RN said. you can't just throw around words like "racism" all willy nilly like that. 

"Black people don't deserve to host this show." = inherently racist

"I believe the only reason this lesser qualified person got my job is because my employer has an agenda to get more POC on air." = not inherently racist.

the second sentence might come off as classless, butthurt, or jealous, but it is absolutely not inherently racist. again, that's a fact. 

So let me get this straight. When Big Brother was 95% white it wasn't manufactured or contrived or anything. It was totally reflective of society at large? They really went and jumped the shark when they

.....check notes.....

made cast 60% white instead of the 95% they had in previous years? 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That story is trending..... it's going crazy and is the Ersan and Rachel rumor.  

Interesting perspective.  They're 5 parts, but interesting.  I think maybe what's being lost in the story of some catfight is how shitty ESPN is with managing these things and the culture there has always been talked about as..... challenging.  The higher ups have known about this situation for months but couldn't manage it well, maybe they shouldn't be in management then.

Hill says that he would get into trouble for saying something in which a white reporter would not face consequences. To me, you can't drop an unspecified accusation like that without more details. I skeptical of one employee being fully aware of another employee facing consequences.

Also what does he mean by trouble? His boss being critical of a comment or story, or was he suspended?

Overall, everyone has to be careful about what you say/do around electronic devices when you think they're off. I've been busted in a virtual work meeting with my laptop microphone on, while I'm typing away on something other than that meeting. I got a meaningless rebuke to mute my microphone. But some coworkers have had conversations not know the mic was on. Nothing too juicy but you have to be careful. It's on another level but jeffrey toobin learned this lesson.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So let me get this straight. When Big Brother was 95% white it wasn't manufactured or contrived or anything. It was totally reflective of society at large? They really went and jumped the shark when they

.....check notes.....

made cast 60% white instead of the 95% they had in previous years? 

where on earth are you getting that from? i, and many BB fans, especially the ones on shaggy, have been complaining about the way they normally cast the show for years now. i never said or even insinuated otherwise. the only reason i mentioned the show is because it's a relevant example (the new season debuts in a week or two and the cast was just revealed) of a network that now has POC quotas that it's filling. that's all. 

F27E68A2-2FC8-4F96-9BCD-FC3122439B96.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hill says that he would get into trouble for saying something in which a white reporter would not face consequences. To me, you can't drop an unspecified accusation like that without more details. I skeptical of one employee being fully aware of another employee facing consequences.
Also what does he mean by trouble? His boss being critical of a comment or story, or was he suspended?
Overall, everyone has to be careful about what you say/do around electronic devices when you think they're off. I've been busted in a virtual work meeting with my laptop microphone on, while I'm typing away on something other than that meeting. I got a meaningless rebuke to mute my microphone. But some coworkers have had conversations not know the mic was on. Nothing too juicy but you have to be careful. It's on another level but jeffrey toobin learned this lesson.

I must say I admire your bravery even though your return to air was super awkward and cringe worthy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2021 at 4:04 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

I understand this is a sensitive issue and has the potential to tumble down a rabbit hole, but hopefully everyone can post about it respectfully here, because it's basketball news.

This is interesting.  A little context, Nichols, who has a very long career with ESPN and other outlets and is generally respected, pounced on being one of the lead NBA reporters and media talking heads when Michelle Beadle started getting shit for her political takes and tiring of the new ESPN hierarchy and position on social issues.  Nichols mother-in-law is also Diane Sawyer and it's thought that she certainly may have helped her with contacts and access...... it's who you know.  Nichols history is pretty clean regardless and she positioned herself as the "let's stick to the game" girl for ESPN and now this....

Two weeks seems light for breaking privacy policies in this manner.  I doubt my firm would react so lightly.

Apparently there was almost a planned boycott from the NBA Finals team including Woj.  Maria's contract is up potentially during the NBA Finals.  This is a fucking mess for them considering this was the type of social content they explicitly were trying to avoid.  It seems obvious someone's gonna go and it looks like Taylor has all the leverage right now.  She was offered 5m/year per reports a few days ago and turned it down.... Damn.

Thanks for the context. Didn't know much of this.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:19 AM, Llogg said:

If ESPN wanted to right the ship of NBA coverage they'd get rid of Jay Williams, Jaylen Rose and really any one else on their NBA studio crew currently. Hire the Knuckleheads podcast to do what they do live. If you have to have a lady, steal Candace Parker and let her bring the technical analysis. Profit.

Gonna try the Knuckleheads. Is there a basketball pod with good, in-depth analysis that you like? Stats are fine, but I know those. I'm talking about game play strategy.

Could've sworn that both Nichols and Taylor hosted the NBA countdown show for the remainder of that season after Beadle left. They switched in and out. Sometimes going with The Jump style NBA countdown show, which Nichols would host, and then going with Taylor as the host in a conventional setting. ESPN didn't choose to go with Taylor as the sole host over Nichols until the bubble. A decision which is clearly what Nichols was responding to in her conversation with Mendelsohn. Interesting that Nichols felt entitled to a a position that ESPN clearly demonstrated they were both auditioning for during the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

where on earth are you getting that from? i, and many BB fans, especially the ones on shaggy, have been complaining about the way they normally cast the show for years now. i never said or even insinuated otherwise. the only reason i mentioned the show is because it's a relevant example (the new season debuts in a week or two and the cast was just revealed) of a network that now has POC quotas that it's filling. that's all. 

F27E68A2-2FC8-4F96-9BCD-FC3122439B96.jpeg

That's fair and I probably short cutted to how these conversations usually go. Typically when references to quotas and diversity hires are made it's as a stand in for hiring people who aren't qualified while most people of color view it as a mechanism to combat entrenched, prejudicial tendencies in hiring practices. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, quigley said:

Candace Parker is the best part of that show.

She's only on the Tuesday broadcast..........unfortunately.    I agree completely.   She is a star in the making

• Hook 'Em 1

Good color on the behind the scenes stuff pertaining to this issue on Dan Le Batard Show's podcast 

The discussion begins about 25 minutes into the link. Goes into the poor management practices at ESPN and essentially setting up this Highlander, "there can only be 1" situation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/local-hour-jemele-hill/id934820588?i=1000528005298

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I really hate that so often in America we focus on those things that divide us and not what unites us. We need to come together as a country and celebrate the diversity that makes us a great country. I have recently been watching some online documentaries with strong female characters and my hope is that Rachel and Maria can lead the way to unity as glowing examples of what it means to be selfless and put others first. Maybe they could sit down for a televised one-on-one conversation. And of course there is a lot of animosity on both sides and understandably so. Sure there will be some fighting at the beginning and some clothes may be ripped in the physical altercation. However, they are going to quickly realize how much they have in common. Maybe they'll begin to explore those similarities, first in their words and then physically. Maybe Maria will realize that she can learn a lot of techniques from the veteran Rachel. And maybe in the process Rachel will watch Maria and reignite the enthusiasm she had in her younger years.

I don't know, maybe I'm just an optimist. But my hope for this country is that these two talented women can put aside their differences in a way that will sell many pay-per-view subscriptions. 

• Haha 3

After listening to the podcast I've changed my mind a bit on this issue. ESPN really is a poorly managed company and they essentially setup this situation where these women would view each other as threats. They even gave voice to the idea that Nichols claims of the role being in her contract may actually be true and it's part and parcel with ESPN's inability to make tough decisions before they get to a boiling point. And Amin called the claim that Rachel's TVU app malfunctioned or was somehow operator error complete bullshit. Apparently the app can be controlled remotely by ESPN employees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I doubt there is one employee in the history of employment that hasn’t bitched about someone else getting promoted or whatever. Seems like Nichols did the right thing in talking to someone she trusted outside the company. That is 10x than talking internal. But unfortunately her words were recorded  and then someone decided to fan the flames by sharing it. I know that employee was only suspended but I would fire that person since she intentionally wanted to create problems. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I doubt there is one employee in the history of employment that hasn’t bitched about someone else getting promoted or whatever. Seems like Nichols did the right thing in talking to someone she trusted outside the company. That is 10x than talking internal. But unfortunately her words were recorded  and then someone decided to fan the flames by sharing it. I know that employee was only suspended but I would fire that person since she intentionally wanted to create problems. 

Multiple people shared it. Only one person was reprimanded for sharing it. That person shared it with Maria Taylor who was the subject of discussion. Amin made a great point in how ESPN could've easily figured out which employees were working when Rachel had her conversation recorded and gotten down to the bottom of who actually did the recording. However, it didn't seem as though ESPN (a company that in the past has seen one of their main talents surreptitious recorded in the nude) took the fact that it was an invasion of privacy seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

After listening to the podcast I've changed my mind a bit on this issue. ESPN really is a poorly managed company and they essentially setup this situation where these women would view each other as threats. They even gave voice to the idea that Nichols claims of the role being in her contract may actually be true and it's part and parcel with ESPN's inability to make tough decisions before they get to a boiling point. And Amin called the claim that Rachel's TVU app malfunctioned or was somehow operator error complete bullshit. Apparently the app can be controlled remotely by ESPN employees. 

Yep.  It's a terribly run company.  Reactionary.  Lacking Vision.  Unaccountable.  And most of all, they tend to forget the purpose.  They worry about all the white noise -- internal politics, personality drama, money, turf management, etc.  I get it, it's probably a very difficult job with a ton of moving parts, but they get paid very well to handle it and manage it with effectiveness and efficiency and it always seems that ESPN is a shitshow in middle to upper management.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

As if Nichols-Taylor wasn't embarrassing enough. ESPN is trotting out Jackson and Van Gundy tonight. How did the network that refined sports TV fall so damn far?

Breen and his BANG! is rather annoying imo.  

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Amin does a great job on NBA radio. He would be perfect for ESPN's tv show. Too bad he left.

His original True Hoops podcast crew with Ethan Strauss, Tom Haberstroh, Zack Harper, Wosny Lambre, and the occasional Tim Mcmahon pop in on there were all awesome together. There were a few others on as well. They had a rotating cast of characters who all played off each other well. And they told great behind the scene stories when they weren't bossa novaing it to music. And of course like ESPN tends to do, they ruin good things that come about organically. All the talk about ESPN's pregame studio show sucking in comparison to Inside the NBA stems from the fact that they clearly micromanage any authentic behavior right out of their on-air talent. Someone mentioned it earlier, but Michelle Beadle was easily the best pre game host out of any of them, who alongside the right crew (here's a hint Jalen and Jason aint it), would've struck the right balance of funny and basketball analysis.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yep.  It's a terribly run company.  Reactionary.  Lacking Vision.  Unaccountable.  And most of all, they tend to forget the purpose.  They worry about all the white noise -- internal politics, personality drama, money, turf management, etc.  I get it, it's probably a very difficult job with a ton of moving parts, but they get paid very well to handle it and manage it with effectiveness and efficiency and it always seems that ESPN is a shitshow in middle to upper management.

I’ve long thought ESPN’s main problem is that they’ve become partners with the leagues, teams and players that they’re attempting to objectively cover. If the wrong thing is said by a “reporter” or commentator, then the phone rings. There is zero chance that the NBA doesn’t have a decent say in who hosts NBA shows on ESPN. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve long thought ESPN’s main problem is that they’ve become partners with the leagues, teams and players that they’re attempting to objectively cover. If the wrong thing is said by a “reporter” or commentator, then the phone rings. There is zero chance that the NBA doesn’t have a decent say in who hosts NBA shows on ESPN. 

And that's no different than TNT. Shit, Turner Sports owns NBAtv in conjunction with the NBA. They operate under the same parameters as ESPN, but somehow they manage to put out a much better product when broadcasting that same entity. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

And that's no different than TNT. Shit, Turner Sports owns NBAtv in conjunction with the NBA. They operate under the same parameters as ESPN, but somehow they manage to put out a much better product when broadcasting that same entity. 

I wasn’t arguing ESPN is a well run org. By all appearances and what I read they’re not. they have a much wider range of partners than TNT: nfl, mlb, college leagues, numerous minor sports. Their critical business relationships must create conflict with network management decisions and journalism practices.

However I know I’m not a good judge of espn shows. I haven’t watched 5 straight minutes of ESPN in 25 years that doesn’t involve a live event. And even then I usually watch the sound off or I’m not paying attention to it. If some commentary is newsworthy or viral, I may catch it on YouTube or perhaps on their website. 

17 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

As if Nichols-Taylor wasn't embarrassing enough. ESPN is trotting out Jackson and Van Gundy tonight. How did the network that refined sports TV fall so damn far?

We have a mostly drama-free NBA Finals (Phoenix vs. Milwaukee, no LeBron/KD). So of course, ESPN has  to end up manufacturing drama anyway 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, aggie08 said:

I'm biased because I think that, at least pre-pandemic and doing shows over Zoom, The Jump was the best original content that ESPN has created since the original round of 30 for 30's. Pretty much the only show on their network that focused on the positive aspects of sport, rather than tearing guys down; some decent analysis without going to deep in the analytics weeds; and just enough dorky NBA humor to keep it fun. Of course, ESPN didn't bother ever promoting it, and stuck it on shitty time slots in favor of their "dudes yelling at each other" shows

a few years ago they had a late night show hosted by cassidy hubbarth that was a lot of fun.  think it was called nba tonight or something generic like that.  they really should make hubbarth their #1 nba host.  she checks a lot of boxes...