ESPN Has NBA Coverage Issues

Patrick Bateman

10 hours ago, d2o said:

For the 'no one is watching crowd"

“No one” is a stretch but it’s not good at all. 

8.56 million

ABC

Suns 118, Bucks 105

7.41 million

ABC

Lakers 116, Heat 98

12.31 million

ABC

Raptors 118, Warriors 109

17.67 million

ABC

Warriors 124, Cavs 114 (OT)

18.74 million

ABC

Warriors 113, Cavs 91

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

8.56 million

ABC

Suns 118, Bucks 105

7.41 million

ABC

Lakers 116, Heat 98

12.31 million

ABC

Raptors 118, Warriors 109

17.67 million

ABC

Warriors 124, Cavs 114 (OT)

18.74 million

ABC

Warriors 113, Cavs 91

No LeBron, no Steph, no KD. This isn't rocket surgery. If the Lakers and Nets had rampaged through their conferences, setting up a heavyweight battle in the Finals, Game 1 would have easily been in the teens. Pretty much only the NFL has people tune in for games that don't involve the league's polarizing heavy hitters.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They certainly won’t starve but I doubt they are as blasé about a 54% decline in 4 years than you are. 

I doubt they give any shits whatsoever.

The viewership share for this year's playoffs — the percentage of people with TVs in use that are watching the NBA — is at its highest since the league first began logging that data during the 2002-03 season. The NBA also happens to feature the youngest audience across major sports, one advertisers covet. Even as ratings declined during the pandemic, the NBA secured business partnerships with at least nine major brands, including Hotels.com, CarMax, Clorox, Michelob Ultra, Oculus from Facebook and Microsoft.

"The NBA, as far as the demographics, that's where everything matters," said Lewis. "Phil Mickelson won the PGA Championship and comfortably beat Lakers-Suns Game 1 in total viewership, but guess what? That was only in 50+. That was Phil's demo. In every other demographic, including the ones advertisers care about most, [ages] 18-49 and 18-34, the NBA game won. The demographics are the story here. If demographics didn't matter, then Harry's Law would still be on with Kathy Bates. The fact is, people in advertising are looking for a specific demo, and the NBA does well in demos that advertisers care about."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/you-dont-really-have-to-care-about-nba-television-ratings-180944196.html

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It also doesn't count global viewership and streams which were up about 25% earlier these playoffs from 2019.  The NBA doesn't have too much to worry about as it becomes the most global game export the US has.  Football rules here in the states and certainly will continue to do so, but the NBA is doing fine as it continues to see healthy growth globally and from cord cutters who stream.  As noted, it has the youngest audience of the major 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Kermit said:

To add to what you quoted from the same article:

"Ratings are only a fraction of the NBA's audience

Armchair TV ratings experts often cast aside the nuances of an inherently flawed metric that is increasingly under fire (i.e., the exclusion of regional network simulcasts, and Nielsen only began including out-of-home viewership — an expected double-digit numbers increase — in October, when sports bars were mired in a pandemic), they also ignore the fact that TV ratings account for a fraction of the NBA's media consumption. 

The NBA reaches a billion people in more than 215 countries across the world, and roughly three quarters of its viewers are outside the U.S., boosted by the popularity of Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Luka Doncic, four of the top six vote-getters in the MVP race. Global viewers on League Pass for the playoffs are up 18% from last year and 24% from 2019, per the NBA. None of them are included in Nielsen ratings.

Neither is the majority of the NBA's 56 million Instagram followers, an audience that generated 6.55 billion views and counts about twice the following of the NFL, NHL and MLB combined. The league is approaching 9 billion lifetime views on YouTube — again, almost as many as the three other major American sports leagues combined. Nearly 70% of the NBA's social media followers are outside the U.S."

It's interesting that the NBA's ratings are such a hot topic among a certain group of people.  It's almost as though they have a vested interest in NBA ratings going in a certain direction.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Last year. The year before….

I wrote out "except in a bubble year" in my post, but then deleted it because I figured that it was too obvious that that year was an anomaly across the sports' landscape.

Would you just get to the point that you want to get to--that the NBA's politics have DOOMED them--already?

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wrote out "except in a bubble year" in my post, but then deleted it because I figured that it was too obvious that that year was an anomaly across the sports' landscape.

Would you just get to the point that you want to get to--that the NBA's politics has DOOMED them--already?

Lol. What a ridiculous projecting response. I’ve done nothing but post factual ratings with no opinion and link an article that actually dismissed the political angle. The ratings are less than half what they were four years ago.  

Im sorry my link squashed the theory that ratings were great just because they beat last year. But hey, you don’t like what I linked from noted conservatives like the Athletic and Stewart Mandel, so let’s make it political. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Lol. What a ridiculous projecting response. I’ve done nothing but post factual ratings with no opinion and link an article that actually dismissed the political angle. The ratings are less than half what they were four years ago.  

Im sorry my link squashed the theory that ratings were great just because they beat last year. But hey, you don’t like what I posted from notes conservatives like the Athletic and Stewart Mandel, so let’s make it political. 

You've also ignored the posts that have completely squashed the black and white and incomplete nature of only looking at TV ratings.

Imagine that.

Remind me what 4 years ago was. Defending champion LeBron James battling a polarizing as shit super team in KD's first year in the Bay. Both teams were untouchable in conference play.

If I'm not mistaken, that was one on the highest rated games in NBA history. Yeah, Phoenix vs. Milwaukee getting half of that isn't exactly shocking.

What were the ratings the last non-LeBron/Steph/Lakers year? I honestly don't know, but I'd bet any amount of money that it's a hell of a lot closer to this year than 2017.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You've also ignored the posts that have completely squashed the black and white and incomplete nature of only looking at TV ratings.

Imagine that.

Remind me what 4 years ago was. Defending champion LeBron James battling a polarizing as shit super team in KD's first year in the Bay. Both teams were untouchable in conference play.

If I'm not mistaken, that was one on the highest rated games in NBA history. Yeah, Phoenix vs. Milwaukee getting half of that isn't exactly shocking.

What were the ratings the last non-LeBron/Steph/Lakers year? I honestly don't know, but I'd bet any amount of money that it's a hell of a lot closer to this year than 2017.

Spurs v. Heat. They did alright for a Spurs Finals.

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Imagine that.

Is the fact that the two time defending MVP can’t bring in ratings a problem for a “star driven league?”  Is Giannis not a star?

To answer your question, you’d have to go back 17 years to Mavs-Heat #1.  Game 1 was 13 million viewers. 

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Is the fact that the two time defending MVP can’t bring in ratings a problem for a “star driven league?”  Is Giannis not a star?

To answer your question, you’d have to go back 17 years to Mavs-Heat #1.  Game 1 was 13 million viewers. 

Lebron played in that one too.

30 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

According to wiki, Game 1 was 11.5M viewers. With Shaq. The following year, the Spurs and a boring Cavs' team with a pre-best player in the league LeBron drew 9.2M. The NBA is used to having its premier players and teams in the Finals.

No, Giannis in Milwaukee isn't a star when it comes to marketability. If the NBA is worried about anything it's who will be the next big ticket once LeBron ages out and if the Warriors are done competing for titles. Tons of talent in the league--a lot of it European--but casual American fans need the huge names (player or team) to root for or against.

• Hook 'Em 1

How people consume sports is also much different than 5, certainly 10 years ago. I think the Nielsen numbers are starting to capture streaming from services like YouTube TV, but they still struggle in that area. Blindly comparing numbers is pointless. 

For tracking pirated streaming services, forget about it, and as more and more people cut the cord, they rely on these avenues, especially the coveted younger viewers.  

Edit - which is not to say that the lack of trackability isn't an issue for tracking ad $. I just don't buy the straight % drop numbers. 

Edited by Blotto

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

No LeBron, no Steph, no KD. This isn't rocket surgery. If the Lakers and Nets had rampaged through their conferences, setting up a heavyweight battle in the Finals, Game 1 would have easily been in the teens. Pretty much only the NFL has people tune in for games that don't involve the league's polarizing heavy hitters.

I think the numbers would be better but, I think one thing the Covid pandemic showed people is that there is a lot out there that matters, much more than watching TV sports. No CloakRoom here but I also think that there are a lot of people who may not be as vocal as the Bron is a Commie Crowd but, they just don't care as much as they used to when they grew up watching Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Duncan, etc.

And, younger people don't have the attention span to, on a consistent basis, watch 2+ hours of basketball a night.

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

To add to what you quoted from the same article:

"Ratings are only a fraction of the NBA's audience

Armchair TV ratings experts often cast aside the nuances of an inherently flawed metric that is increasingly under fire (i.e., the exclusion of regional network simulcasts, and Nielsen only began including out-of-home viewership — an expected double-digit numbers increase — in October, when sports bars were mired in a pandemic), they also ignore the fact that TV ratings account for a fraction of the NBA's media consumption. 

The NBA reaches a billion people in more than 215 countries across the world, and roughly three quarters of its viewers are outside the U.S., boosted by the popularity of Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Luka Doncic, four of the top six vote-getters in the MVP race. Global viewers on League Pass for the playoffs are up 18% from last year and 24% from 2019, per the NBA. None of them are included in Nielsen ratings.

Neither is the majority of the NBA's 56 million Instagram followers, an audience that generated 6.55 billion views and counts about twice the following of the NFL, NHL and MLB combined. The league is approaching 9 billion lifetime views on YouTube — again, almost as many as the three other major American sports leagues combined. Nearly 70% of the NBA's social media followers are outside the U.S."

It's interesting that the NBA's ratings are such a hot topic among a certain group of people.  It's almost as though they have a vested interest in NBA ratings going in a certain direction.  

Interesting numbers for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

She is taking over for Tirico, as Tirico is taking over for Al.

You mean covering the Olympic main desk?  Or the Sunday Night Football desk?

Edited by d2o

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If she is getting paid comparable money and also has to cover way less events than she would at ESPN, then that’s hard to beat.   One Notre Dame or NFL game a week in the fall, and then the Olympics and maybe some golf tournaments is really all NBC does, right?  

They do have their own sports network too.   I have no idea what they actually cover no it though.   I think they have NHL and NASCAR features.

Good for her and all of these ESPN reporters for being amazing salesmen of themselves. I’m not sure 10% of sports fans would realize/give a shit  if you rotated sideline reporters annually. You only remember the hot ones, and any hot one will do.

You would think eventually ESPN would put it together that the majority is not tuning in for the personalities.  

• Like 2

They do have their own sports network too.   I have no idea what they actually cover no it though.   I think they have NHL and NASCAR features.
I think their sports network is closing up after the Olympics.

Besides the NHL, all I ever saw was the car auction. That's worse sport tv than poker.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably rebrand it with someone else....  Same type of content.  I agree, it's a good basketball show.

I kinda get it cause it was "her" show that she was on from the start.   That said, they kept the HQ name after dumping Lebetard and Papi and I'd argue that show was way more his property than the Jump is Rachel's

22 minutes ago, Kermit said:

He also had some pretty offensive comments about a certain Japanese baseball player.

Then followed them up with ridiculous and racist comments about the Nigerian basketball team.     They've really hitched their wagon to him and I don't totally understand why.    I don't know anyone who enjoys him.