Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

Let's start this off with, no joke, a video of Zach Lavine learning what a travel is, as he prepares to compete in a tournament where they actually call traveling violations. The number of genuine questions he has about what constitutes a travel cracks me up. 

he's like, "so if i take two steps without dribbling...that's a travel?"

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

I read some article about this the other day. The NBA has something called the "gather provision". I'm not sure when it was instituted, but suffice to say some time between my last high school game in 1995 and now, a change was made. Or at the very least a change in how the rule is interpreted was explicitly changed by NBA head honchos. It boils down to how lenient the NBA is vs other leagues on the gather step. Essentially the NBA doesn't count the gather step as part of your 2 allotted steps after picking up your dribble. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

There's a little grumbling in SA re: Pop. San Antonio (Santa Antonions?) Got spoiled with success and his political stances don't make the $ people nor ownership particulary happy. The team is down.

I think he'll take more crap if we don't win it all. Great coach. 

Obviously a number of top guys aren't playing on the team, and there has been criticism of the roster (Love).  After seeing today that Japan is in a State of Emergency, I wondered....are the participants required to be vaccinated?  Is that what turned a number of players away?

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Obviously a number of top guys aren't playing on the team, and there has been criticism of the roster (Love).  After seeing today that Japan is in a State of Emergency, I wondered....are the participants required to be vaccinated?  Is that what turned a number of players away?

I'm not aware of any NBA players who aren't already vaccinated.

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Most haven't said one way or the other, which is strange because they could really do a lot to promote it.

The NBA had a different set of protocols if a teams had over 75 or 85% of their players vaccinated. When Dennis Schroeder went on an extended quarantine it meant that at least 2 of the Lakers weren't vaxed at the time. People theorized that it was Schroeder and Lebron who weren't vaccinated at time because comments made by Schroeder about this length of his quarantine. I say all this to say that a certain point of the season most teams were over that 85% threshold. 

I would say that the short off-season from a cramped season that had its own short off-season is the main reason for players dropping out. 

Everybody and their mother getting hurt in the playoffs only confirmed the decisions that they had probably already made in their heads.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I would say that the short off-season from a cramped season that had its own short off-season is the main reason for players dropping out. 

Everybody and their mother getting hurt in the playoffs only confirmed the decisions that they had probably already made in their heads.

Absolutely I see that as the main reason.  Just seeing the State of Emergency in Japan made me wonder if any players would drop out due to it, especially if not vaccinated.  The it hit me that they probably are required to be vaccinated for international competition and anyone who isn't wouldn't be allowed to be on the team.

It really is amazing that a league as socially conscience as the NBA hasn't had players front and center promoting the vaccine.  Think about how influential it would be for Lebron to video himself getting the shot on his twitter.  I bet over a million people across the world would follow suit.  

Instead, his coyness (he's not alone) on the issue leads one to believe he isn't vaccinated.  Make me wonder if the players have an agreement that vaccinated players will not promote the vaccine as it would indirectly shame those who haven't promoted.

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

We're in a transition period where a lot of guys shouldn't be expected to keep coming back for the Olympics (like Curry, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden, Durant). And on top of that there have been a bunch of injuries combined with some shortened season stuff. 

It's why Durant playing is so amazing and why he deserves the lion's share credit if/when we win. This roster could have been a huge question mark but he stepped up despite coming off of an Achilles injury and burning himself out during the playoffs. Pretty legendary stuff - there's no reason for him to be on this roster. He just loves hooping.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

We're in a transition period where a lot of guys shouldn't be expected to keep coming back for the Olympics (like Curry, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden, Durant). And on top of that there have been a bunch of injuries combined with some shortened season stuff. 

It's why Durant playing is so amazing and why he deserves the lion's share credit if/when we win. This roster could have been a huge question mark but he stepped up despite coming off of an Achilles injury and burning himself out during the playoffs. Pretty legendary stuff - there's no reason for him to be on this roster. He just loves hooping.

Curry has actually never played in the Olympics.  A little shocked he’s not playing.

21 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Absolutely I see that as the main reason.  Just seeing the State of Emergency in Japan made me wonder if any players would drop out due to it, especially if not vaccinated.  The it hit me that they probably are required to be vaccinated for international competition and anyone who isn't wouldn't be allowed to be on the team.

It really is amazing that a league as socially conscience as the NBA hasn't had players front and center promoting the vaccine.  Think about how influential it would be for Lebron to video himself getting the shot on his twitter.  I bet over a million people across the world would follow suit.  

Instead, his coyness (he's not alone) on the issue leads one to believe he isn't vaccinated.  Make me wonder if the players have an agreement that vaccinated players will not promote the vaccine as it would indirectly shame those who haven't promoted.

They have. They've had numerous PSAs with some of the league's stars, including some of the "elder statesmen" like Russell, Kareem, Magic, and Irving. Steph has pushed the hell out of the vaccine, has CDC links on his webpage, and has interviewed Fauci on his podcast. So really you're mostly talking about LeBron. Agreed that him being more up front would be beneficial, but, as others have mentioned elsewhere, the history of injections and black Americans is a complicated one.

To the point of your initial post, I highly doubt the potential need to be vaccinated for international play made anyone's decision not to play in Japan.

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

They have. They've had numerous PSAs with some of the league's stars, including some of the "elder statesmen" like Russell, Kareem, Magic, and Irving. Steph has pushed the hell out of the vaccine, has CDC links on his webpage, and has interviewed Fauci on his podcast. So really you're mostly talking about LeBron. Agreed that him being more up front would be beneficial, but, as others have mentioned elsewhere, the history of injections and black Americans is a complicated one.

To the point of your initial post, I highly doubt the potential need to be vaccinated for international play made anyone's decision not to play in Japan.

No.  I'm talking about most of the league's stars.  Guys who have a lot of influence.  Good for Steph.

I don't get why anyone would get vaccinated and be secretive about it when they have the ability to save lives.

19 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Yeah, that's crazy. He's one of the best fits for international ball too.

2012 I think he was hurt and if we’re being honest probably a borderline selection at that point.   2016 he opted out to recover from the playoff run, pretty sure his wife was pregnant as well and there was the whole Zika thing going on in Brazil.  

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Just some incredible shooting from Nigeria - I think that's 22 made 3s tonight.

I think it said 20/42 which is ridiculous.

I wasn't able to watch much. Let's see how they play in game 2. This roster isn't exactly optimal - they'll need some time to figure things out. I think Booker will make a difference, too. I trust him much more than Beal or Lavine who would probably make this team better by opting out.