Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

people who know more than i do: what would the Team USA roster look like if it were all guys 25 and under? 

I don't know but we wouldn't win gold unless those guys started practicing with each other year round. 

Is Bam under 25? Trae would be on it optimally. Is Booker under 25? Zion. Tatum. Maybe MPJ. 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Yeah, Zion, Tatum, Booker, Donovan Mitchell, Bam, Jalen Brown, Trae, Lamelo, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Colin Sexton, Dejounte Murray... we could definitely win gold with that group. 

starters:

Trae

Mitchell 

Tatum

Zion 

Bam

Sure we could but they'd all have to commit and they'd need to play with each other more than once every 4 years. 

But fuck man... there's multiple guys on that list that I'd trade for guys on this roster. Give me Trae, Zion and Allen over Beal, Lavine and Middleton. Christ.

Who was the slapdick that was saying LAVINE IS REALLY GONNA SURPRISE YOU GUYS! 

Yeah... surprise us all the way to bronze.

Edited by ztejas

On 7/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, Don Johnson said:

No.  I'm talking about most of the league's stars.  Guys who have a lot of influence.  Good for Steph.

I don't get why anyone would get vaccinated and be secretive about it when they have the ability to save lives.

Cloak Room....go find it

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's face it, this roster is dogshit.  It's probably the weakest roster we've rolled out since Greece or maybe since 88'.  It's really bad.  Love at this stage?  Grant?  Draymond?  It's sort of sad, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we don't win.  KD will have to really carry this squad.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, Don Johnson said:

No.  I'm talking about most of the league's stars.  Guys who have a lot of influence.  Good for Steph.

I don't get why anyone would get vaccinated and be secretive about it when they have the ability to save lives.

You mean like the ex-POTUS?  I agree.  And although many sports stars did step forward and promote the vaccine, more would have certainly helped.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

1.  Exhibition game with an incomplete roster and all other excuses aside, this is bad. I don’t know that Popovich is as good a fit as Coach K in this job.

2. Lavine didn’t appear to be a problem.  He scored 10 on 50% shooting.  Bradley Beal scored 2 points in 25 minutes on 1-7 shooting.  He’s the guy who looked like shit. KD shot 30%, which we can’t have happen to beat the best teams. 

3.  This “Nigeria” team is kind of a sham.  Look at the roster.  Virtually the entire roster is American NBA players who presumably have some Nigerian heritage (and not even necessarily recent heritage - I don’t think most of them have ever even lived in Nigeria).   The guy that torched us was … Gabe Nnamdi Vincent, who was born in Modesto, CA and lived his entire life in the USA.  

Nigeria will likely be a good team and medal contender in the Olympics based on their roster stacking shenanigans, but it’s still a game Team USA should easily win.  It was basically a game of NBA All Stars vs. NBA bench players.   We were 31 point favorites.  Yikes.

The defense has to get a lot better.  The Team USA squads that dominate turn the other team over constantly and blow them out with fast breaks.  That didn’t happen.  Granted, Nigeria has pros, too, but there still should be a decided athletic advantage for Team USA.   We probably needed more intense and active perimeter defenders on this squad.  I don’t know that Lillard and Beal and Lavine can harass and turn over ball handlers even if they really try.  Jrue Holiday might need a lot of minutes when he joins the team.

Vincent's dad is Nigerian and more than that many Nigerians have English surnames which is a function of being a former British colony akin to Indians having surnames like Thomas, Jacobs, or Matthews. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Vincent's dad is Nigerian and more than that many Nigerians have English surnames which is a function of being a former British colony akin to Indians having surnames like Jacobs or Matthews. 

*Mathews. Those Indians were converts to Christianity. That process was started by the Portuguese in India. It has nothing to do with being a former English colony and rather more accepting of biblical names. Also, there are tons of Nigerian Christians that keep their cultural names that are full of letters 'O' and 'I' (i.e. Yoruba and Ibo tribes).

Edited by UDontKnow

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

*Mathews. Those Indians were converts to Christianity. That process was started by the Portuguese in India. It has nothing to do with being a former English colony and rather more accepting of biblical names. Also, there are tons of Nigerian Christians that keep their cultural names that are full of letters 'O' and 'I' (i.e. Yoruba and Ibo tribes).

What part of me saying many Nigerians have English surnames negates the fact that most them have ethnic names? Igbo's are primarily Christians and the overwhelming majority of them have Igbo names, however there are a few, like Vincent's Dad, who have english surnames as well. I highlighted the fact that Gabe's middle name is Nnamdi in my original post.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i worry about KD's health. this tournament is not worth it for him to risk another long term injury. 

KD is the type of dude that, if he wasn't on the Olympic team, would be playing 4 hours of pick-up ball a day. In LA, at Ruckers, literally anywhere he could get a high-level game going. "Normal" Olympic basketball (28 minutes/game, not particularly physical, limited defense required) would only be slightly riskier than his normal off-season. But, if this team is going to be as flawed as they look on paper, and he's going to have to single-handedly carry yet another team, the wear and tear is concerning.

I dont know if Tatum is trying to one up KD or what but he needs to get his fucking head out of his ass.

There are too many big ego scorers on this team and it makes me nervous. I'm fine with Dame but Tatum, Beal, Lavine and even Booker to a degree all make me nervous with the "look at me" potential. 

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, staboner said:

just tuned in for a bit. looks pretty sloppy but i guess that is expected. what offensive style is the US trying to do? if any?

Just trying to figure it out right now I think. A lot of moving parts. KD and Dray are clearly stabilizing presences - the problem is that everyone else gets their dicks hard as soon as they touch the ball and think they're prime Kobe. 

The way this team should operate is everyone gets equal attempts, figure out who's hot and feed them. It's a roster full of heat check guys with a lot of below average defenders and distributors. With the shorter 3p line I'd say fuck it, who's feeling it tonight and just let that guy jack it up until he misses.

I'd add that I like what I see from Dame but no shit. He's the 2nd best player on the team. This should clue Boston fans in on the gap between Tatum and a guy like him. Not that I'm hating on Tatum but there's a clear difference in maturity between him and guys like Dame and KD.

Edited by ztejas

No words. Bunch of fucking bums waiting for daddy Durant to bail them out. Show up for your fucking country. Embarassing. Everyone but KD and Draymond and Bam can go home and get fucked for all I care. They better rebound in a big way or they're getting sent home early. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean seriously, when did we become a bunch of pussy AAU bitches that take a backseat to countries that actually play with heart and conviction? Newsflash to everyone aside from Durant - you aren't Luka, you aren't Jokic, you aren't Giannis, you aren't Embiid - you aren't shit. 

This org needs to reevaluate what it takes to win gold from now on. Because this pussy foul-baiting no defense shitshow isn't cutting it. Kobe is rolling in his grave. I can handle one loss but 2 in a row is unacceptable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I mean seriously, when did we become a bunch of pussy AAU bitches that take a backseat to countries that actually play with heart and conviction? Newsflash to everyone aside from Durant - you aren't Luka, you aren't Jokic, you aren't Giannis, you aren't Embiid - you aren't shit. 

This org needs to reevaluate what it takes to win gold from now on. Because this pussy foul-baiting no defense shitshow isn't cutting it. Kobe is rolling in his grave. I can handle one loss but 2 in a row is unacceptable. 

The world caught up, our best are at home (sans KD), and we’re going to have to get used to the fact that this is now the norm.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I get the feeling most of you are taking this about 100x more seriously than the Team USA players. 

And it's not a guarantee that the players will take the real games any more seriously (seriouser?) later this month.

Whether you intended to or not, you ironically just highlighted everyone's chief complaint here.  And "more serious," for the record.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I get the feeling most of you are taking this about 100x more seriously than the Team USA players. 

And it's not a guarantee that the players will take the real games any more seriously (seriouser?) later this month.

I’ve got a lot of excuses cooked up because I love the coach, and some of the players, and it’s our National Team, but goddamn losing to Nigeria sucked. Australia I can understand, but Nigeria? 

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm definitely taking it more seriously than Tatum and Lavine. I wasn't hanging on to every game in 04 so pardon me if I've never really seen such gross incompetence from our national team leading up to an Olympics appearance. 

Good for Tatum though - he had some cute 50 point games in the play-in and playoffs before Durant slapped him in the face with his cock and told him to sit the fuck down. 

This new generation is soft as shit and it's showing. 16 and 17 year olds playing AAU should be paying attention. This is your future - international cats are taking your money. Do something about it. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm definitely taking it more seriously than Tatum and Lavine. I wasn't hanging on to every game in 04 so pardon me if I've never really seen such gross incompetence from our national team leading up to an Olympics appearance. 

Good for Tatum though - he had some cute 50 point games in the play-in and playoffs before Durant slapped him in the face with his cock and told him to sit the fuck down. 

This new generation is soft as shit and it's showing. 16 and 17 year olds playing AAU should be paying attention. This is your future - international cats are taking your money. Do something about it. 

2004 was pretty bad. They lost to Puerto Rico in the actual Olympics. At least this shit is in exhibitions. Carlos fucking Arroyo, man.