Tokyo Olympics 2021

shadow_operative

Sorry if I'm being wordy or too impassioned - I'm in my cups a bit. This is just rightfully infuriating and I truly bleed for our national basketball and soccer teams. 

I don't hate Tatum or Lavine. They're incredible basketball players that I hope figure it out and help us take home gold. This shit just... sucks... and I'm expressing as much. 

Go USA and here's to these guys figuring it out and meshing and taking home gold.

Not giving up, just... concerned.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Defense has to get way better and more intense.  This is looking like Shaka Smart Texas vs. Abilene Christian where somehow the much less athletic team is the one that plays more disruptive defense while the team with better athletes just stands around and causes exactly zero havoc.

This isn’t a “world has caught up” thing, either.   We should still be locking down other countries, turning them over and getting fast break dunks.  That’s not a relic of the 1992 basketball landscape.  Lebron, DWade, Westbrook, Chris Paul, and others all have been steal machines for us in the last few Olympics.

Those guys aren’t playing. Would be nice to have at least one of those Guys you mentioned. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, Popovich - wtf, man?  How do you pick a roster with like 9 guys who don’t play defense? And how do you not get your guys to at least play as hard as they do for a college coach?  

Wasn’t Pop all bitchy about Coach K getting to coach the team instead of an NBA coach, too?  Oops.

He doesn’t pick the roster. That’s all Jerry Colangelo. Also, shitty timing and injuries played a part. 

58 minutes ago, Kermit said:

The world caught up, our best are at home (sans KD), and we’re going to have to get used to the fact that this is now the norm.

This.  Seems like every 15-20 years or so, we have to be reminded that while we have the best players, we don't always send the best team.  I remember when I saw the roster, I was like, this is a really bad mix of guys.  A lot of volume scorers who like to have the ball.  No real move guys and while we have some guys who can play defense, I feel like they won't play like dogs on the perimeter against non-US guys.  4-5 guys should never really have sniffed making this team and now they're huge cogs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Probably has nothing to do with having Lebron James

It really has little to do with having LeBron. Kobe would have choked Tatum out at halftime tonight. Durant is just as good as LeBron ever was right now (okay maybe not as good but it's marginal - Durant was on a gold medal team with and without LeBron). The rest of the world has caught up and we have a poorly constructed roster. 

Edited by ztejas

One of the best seven USA players is under 30 years old. 

This list should be objective and I'm not debating it:

KD, LeBron, Kawhi, Curry, AD, Harden, Dame. 

AD is the only player under 30 and he's 28 with a laundry list of injuries. 

That doesn't bode well for our future. Reminder that this team shouldn't have Durant on it - he has no reason to commit to this shit. 

The next 3 on this list is probably Kyrie, Tatum, Trae. So call it 0/10. 

Edited by ztejas

Do you dumb fucks realize that LeBron was on the 04 roster that comfortably took Bronze? And that LeBron wasn't on the 2016 roster that took gold? 

No, of course you don't. Because you're morons. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you dumb fucks realize that LeBron was on the 04 roster that comfortably took Bronze? And that LeBron wasn't on the 2016 roster that took gold? 

No, of course you don't. Bevause you're morons. 

Dude, he didn’t play in 2004. Larry Brown kept Lebron, Wade, and Melo glued to the bench. 

Here’s the box score from the Argentina game, just in case you want to throw up a little.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/boxscores/2004-08-27-argentina.html

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Dude, he didn’t play in 2004. Larry Brown kept Lebron, Wade, and Melo glued to the bench. 

I don't think that's true regarding LeBron but I don't feel like looking it up. It's still true that he was on the team. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't think that's true regarding LeBron but I don't feel like looking it up. It's still true that he was on the team. 

He was, Larry Brown didn’t play him.  He did play Richard Jefferson a lot. That alone should tell you everything you need to know.

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Here’s the box score from the Argentina game, just in case you want to throw up a little.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/boxscores/2004-08-27-argentina.html

All I see is Manu being amazing

Just now, Kermit said:

He was, Larry Brown didn’t play him.  He did play Richard Jefferson a lot. That alone should tell you everything you need to know.

Either way it doesn't detract from my point (*cough* fuck Richard Jefferson). We've won plenty without LeBron. LeBron was nowhere close to the best player in the league this season. Swap him and Durant and this US team still has the exact same issues.

But, oh right, LeBron isn't playing and Durant is. 

Hurts my heart to see a team with Durant suck shit through a straw but the NBA is trash and this is really showing   Exhibition or not   LeFlop can suck a covid flavored dick I’m glad he’s not here

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Also fuck Pop. The dickhead to the media shit is tired and uncomfortable. Lillard looked like Mike Myers up there when Pop started going off on the guy with the whole "we never used to blow teams out" weak ass gaslight he was trying to pull

this. his shtick is old and tired.  dude is as fake as a 3 dollar bill.

No, of course you don't. Because you're morons. 

Lebron was 19 in 04. I don’t think he’d be an effective International player at that time with his then undeveloped skill set

They don't have good point guard play to me.  It's a poorly constructed roster with more scorers than playmakers.  LeBron would help a little given his passing, but he's not the same player he was five years ago.  A LeBron in his prime would probably solve a lot of their playmaking problems, but that player is gone now and he's not coming back.  I mean you can say a Michael Jordan in his prime would do wonders too I suppose.  Not fair to use once in a generation players as a comparison.  But even a CP3 would do wonders for this team in my opinion.  Dame's a great player, but he's not really an elite playmaker either.  It's not like this team has a ton of defensive stalwarts either.  The parts just don't seem to mesh well, I mean why in the world for example is LaVine on the team?  What does he bring that others of a similar skillset don't already do better?  Tatum on paper is supposed to be a plus at worst and almost elite defender at best but I haven't seen it yet.  Maybe they will take it more seriously later, but the real worry is maybe they are already playing kind of hard...yikes.        

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Game 6 if necessary of the Finals is scheduled for July 20 and if necessary a Game 7 would be July 22.

Olympics start July 23 with USA first game vs France on July 25, so there’s a decent chance the Suns/Bucks players opt out.

As they should. All these guys should be a home, with the roster consisting of college and G League players. I’m legit worried that one of these guys is going to significantly injure themselves due to overuse.

50 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Game 6 if necessary of the Finals is scheduled for July 20 and if necessary a Game 7 would be July 22.

Olympics start July 23 with USA first game vs France on July 25, so there’s a decent chance the Suns/Bucks players opt out.

They should have already done so.

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

They don't have good point guard play to me.  It's a poorly constructed roster with more scorers than playmakers.  LeBron would help a little given his passing, but he's not the same player he was five years ago.  A LeBron in his prime would probably solve a lot of their playmaking problems, but that player is gone now and he's not coming back.  I mean you can say a Michael Jordan in his prime would do wonders too I suppose.  Not fair to use once in a generation players as a comparison.  But even a CP3 would do wonders for this team in my opinion.  Dame's a great player, but he's not really an elite playmaker either.  It's not like this team has a ton of defensive stalwarts either.  The parts just don't seem to mesh well, I mean why in the world for example is LaVine on the team?  What does he bring that others of a similar skillset don't already do better?  Tatum on paper is supposed to be a plus at worst and almost elite defender at best but I haven't seen it yet.  Maybe they will take it more seriously later, but the real worry is maybe they are already playing kind of hard...yikes.        

Bingo.   Not sure if Ja was asked but I think he would help plenty.   

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

Remember that this team barely even qualified for the Olympics and completely shit the bed at the World Cup in 2019 (which was used for qualifying). 

Don't be surprised if this team doesn't medal. 

??? This team has been playing together a week. And it has no relationship to the 2019 World Cup team:

image.png.b084266e30f6c9c4ae02681ec2eb8a96.png

Ripping on Pop for not having the current team playing at a high proficiency in exhibition games less than a week into practice is stupid. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

??? This team has been playing together a week. And it has no relationship to the 2019 World Cup team:

image.png.b084266e30f6c9c4ae02681ec2eb8a96.png

Ripping on Pop for not having the current team playing at a high proficiency in exhibition games less than a week into practice is stupid. 

the point is that the '19 team was still full of NBA players and struggled. 

I'm not bagging on Pop - it's just that recently the teams we've put together haven't been all that great for whatever reasons.

Does anyone actually watch the games? Draymond has been one of the top 3 players on the floor. Grant has been all energy, all defense, blocked shots, max effort. Both guys are going to be key pieces for this team if it is going to medal. 

When Holiday and Middleton (and Book) join after the Finals this team can throw a lot of defensive flexibility out on the floor. You can put a team out there with Jrue, KM, KD, Dray/Grant, Bam/Dray. No one is going to be scoring on that team. 

I'm not too worried yet. To me the defense will take care of itself and I'm more worried about these guys that are all used to being Option 1 all figuring out how to gel together on Offense. 

21 hours ago, The Dog said:

Remember that this team barely even qualified for the Olympics and completely shit the bed at the World Cup in 2019 (which was used for qualifying). 

Don't be surprised if this team doesn't medal. 

Negged for being a fucking moron. Please do us a favor and find somewhere else to post. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Negged for being a fucking moron. Please do us a favor and find somewhere else to post. 

returning the favor because this team is shitting the bed right now and anyone who watches sports knows it.

don't try to polish a turd.

My wife’s cousin is a camera operator and usually shoots B roll and the backstories for US athletes in the Olympic village and on location for the past several Olympics.

NBC sent him a spit test kit and he ended up positive in the two tests he took. He freaked out and went to his doctor’s office that has a test for 11 different things. Turns out he was positive for the common cold but negative for Covid. Took a third spit test the next day and was negative and thought he was in the clear.

Unfortunately, he let someone at NBC sports know of the first false positives right as it was happening and now can’t go because you have to answer “have you tested positive for Covid in the past 14 days” and even though they were false positives, NBC doesn’t want the potential incident it could cause. Sucks for him but with not being allowed out of the dorms except to go to events, it was probably going to be more of a pain anyway.