Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

Not mask related. Wear the damn mask if you’re asked. Anyway, curious on who is the asshole here, beside me as a general rule. 

We (family of 4) flew transatlantic yesterday and a fellow passenger got salty with us.  Seating configuration was 2-4-2 across in economy since we are not surly 1%. I selected seats and grabbed 1 aisle seat, then three right across that aisle. The reasoning is simple: at times of not full flights, the last seats to be selected are usually single seats next to already occupied seats. We up our chances of getting at least one empty in our row. Kids are at an age they mostly entertain themselves with movies and iPad but do need intervention for water, snacks, every now and then.

Sure enough— we have an empty, the last aisle seat on that middle row. The woman (no pics needed) next to me at the window tells me “why don’t you go sit in that other aisle seat with your family and let me have these two.” Nah, I am happy on the aisle, if that other seat stays empty my kids and wife can spread out some.

She asks the stewardess to move me, that’s a no from the stewardess. I point out that there are multiple empty window-aisle pairs farther back on the plane. She can grab one of them after takeoff. No, she doesn’t want to be any farther back on the plane. “You should have to sit with your family and let me have these two seats.”

Sorry, but no. She chose that seat knowing it was occupied, she can go spread out on a different aisle if she wants. But l am with my family, this worked out exactly as I hoped, I am remaining in the seats we selected. 

Anyway she huffed and puffed and out of spite stayed in the window instead of walking her ass a couple rows back.  Whatever, I was fine with that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

proper "asking a stranger to do you a favor" etiquette is to shut the fuck up about it forever once they say no

dude on a swa flight got salty with me because i had my backpack in the overhead, saying it was for luggage not backpacks. I pulled my briefcase out from under the seat in front of me to illustrate that I had my second piece of luggage in the overhead and he was still a little bitch about it before moving on

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Let me just pause to say that I can't do economy on a transatlantic flight anymore.  I am too tall, too fat, and too old for that shit.  I'll do premium economy.  I obviously prefer business (hardly anybody does First anymore).  But I just can't do economy.

Aside from that, she's definitely the asshole.  You took a chance, and it came up in your favor.  She is now asking you to forfeit your good luck for . . . reasons?  I don't think so.

I've done the same seating config with my family.  If I was in the same situation and she hadn't asked the waitress, er, flight attendant to get involved, I probably would have gotten up on my own and moved to an open pair of seats further back for the space.  But because she made a stink about it, I would have stayed put just to be an ass back to her...

If you put a seat defender on the seat in front of you we have nothing to talk about....civilly that is.  

Yeah fuck her. She wants more room, move.  You were fine right where you were.  You always want to be polite, but she for damn sure wasn't reciprocating IMO.

And... transatlantic flight you say ?  Yeah yer 1%.....

39 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Assuming she was in the window seat when you arrived, right?

I'm leaning towards she's the asshole, unless the remaining vacant aisle/window pairs were next to the lav.

What airline does open seating on transoceanic flights?

Not open seating. That window was vacant when I seat selected 24 hours in advance. She either chose it on her own, or the airline plopped her there at checkin. 

29 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Whenever I'm booking for the family, there are always three together and one several rows away.  

Funny how it works out like that when you are the one booking the seats, isn't it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sure enough— we have an empty, the last aisle seat on that middle row. The woman (no pics needed) next to me at the window tells me “why don’t you go sit in that other aisle seat with your family and let me have these two.” Nah, I am happy on the aisle, if that other seat stays empty my kids and wife can spread out some.[/quote]

That is odd.

She asks the stewardess to move me, that’s a no from the stewardess.

That is out of line.

Edited by RDCanecutter

I don't understand what it is about airplanes that turns people into miserable, entitled weirdos (not OP). Was she just wanting to spread out, like sleep across all 3 seats? Yeah, that's on her to move if she wants no one on the aisle. 

Edited by mdmost

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Asking others to move is inconsiderate and selfish.  I may offer to move, for your grandmother or other as needed scenario, at will but that's my choice.  Plan better or spend the money to get the seats you want.  

That's me too.  Touchy keyboard warrior in private, overly polite and gracious in public.

But like a puffer fish, I will try to look artificially unappealing to encourage people on half-full SWA flights from sitting next to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't understand what it is about airplanes that turns people into miserable, entitled weirdos (not OP). 

It isn't turning them into that it's who they are.  99% of people can keep it together for a few minutes, line in a store, passing on a sidewalk etc....but when time starts spinning and geography is limited true character is often revealed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

proper "asking a stranger to do you a favor" etiquette is to shut the fuck up about it forever once they say no

dude on a swa flight got salty with me because i had my backpack in the overhead, saying it was for luggage not backpacks. I pulled my briefcase out from under the seat in front of me to illustrate that I had my second piece of luggage in the overhead and he was still a little bitch about it before moving on

i hope someone smashed your backpack with the wheels they just dragged through the dirtiest airport bathroom in america. 

29 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't understand what it is about airplanes that turns people into miserable, entitled weirdos (not OP). Was she just wanting to spread out, like sleep across all 3 seats? Yeah, that's on her to move if she wants no one on the aisle. 

It's not the airplane; they're always terrible. Airplane just forces you into sustained proximity with the miserable, entitled weirdos

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

She asks the stewardess to move me, that’s a no from the stewardess. I point out that there are multiple empty window-aisle pairs farther back on the plane. She can grab one of them after takeoff. No, she doesn’t want to be any farther back on the plane. “You should have to sit with your family and let me have these two seats.”

"Ma'am, I booked this seat so I wouldn't have to sit with them." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The OP was clearly in the right. The tougher call is when I’m asked to give up my relatively comfortable aisle seat for a shitty middle seat between two fatties so a mom can sit next to her teen age kids. On short flights I’m happy to do it but on a long flight I generally say I’m happy to move so long as I get a comparable aisle seat.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Asking others to move is inconsiderate and selfish.  I may offer to move, for your grandmother or other as needed scenario, at will but that's my choice.  Plan better or spend the money to get the seats you want.  

This.  And certainly don't be in my seat before I'm in it forcing me to make a stink with you.  Especially don't ask me to move from an aisle seat to a middle seat so your kid can be across the aisle from you and then try and get loud when I say no.  Plan better or suck it up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I presume your response was to fart for the entire flight.

That's my typical response.

Well, not a "response" so much as a "standard operating procedure no matter what," but still, you know, there's a point to be made.

Why punish every other passenger on the flight?

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

The OP was clearly in the right. The tougher call is when I’m asked to give up my relatively comfortable aisle seat for a shitty middle seat between two fatties so a mom can sit next to her teen age kids. On short flights I’m happy to do it but on a long flight I generally say I’m happy to move so long as I get a comparable aisle seat.

If it's really little kids sure I would move.  Teenage kids, get the fuck out of here. 

Since airlines (at our behest mind you) have turned using their service into a mostly no frills, shitty transportation experience just a step or two above hopping in the back of a C-130 people should view it as such.  Sit down, shut the fuck up take your ride get off and be on your way.  "Hey mom if dad was driving would you hop in the back of the family suburban with your three teenagers?"  They don't want to sit by you any fucking way and are just going to stare at their phone the entire way.  

33 minutes ago, HouTex said:

You need to come bearing an equal or better seat. Aisle for aisle or an aisle for window. And for teenagers, hell no. If they need you they know where you are. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So how did Window Woman know that the people across the aisle were OP's family? Did OP give them permission to speak? Were OP and Wife and Children braying in Fran Drescher voices? Were they doing that Tense Americans in Europe thing, where everyone is yelling what to do as if the ramp is about to drop on the landing craft? Was OP screaming at his Wife to give him liquor? Did OP introduce his family to Window Woman, but then tried to claim her as his "Airplane Wife?"

Last week on our flight we had a couple come in and sit in different seats so they could sit next to each other, as opposed to two rows apart that they chose. So next comes another couple whose seats have been taken now, and they absolutely have to sit together because the woman has anxiety, so they get the flight attendant to find them two seats where no one is sitting yet. The flight attendant looked around, and somewhat exasperated said “ok fine, y’all can sit here, I just hope we don’t have anymore people with anxiety show up”, prompting a “oh no need to be a smartaleck!” From the anxiety peoples mom. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious and I really don’t know why people can’t just sit the fuck down and do the same as everyone else is doing. You aren’t special and no one cares about you. 

6 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Last week on our flight we had a couple come in and sit in different seats so they could sit next to each other, as opposed to two rows apart that they chose. So next comes another couple whose seats have been taken now, and they absolutely have to sit together because the woman has anxiety, so they get the flight attendant to find them two seats where no one is sitting yet. The flight attendant looked around, and somewhat exasperated said “ok fine, y’all can sit here, I just hope we don’t have anymore people with anxiety show up”, prompting a “oh no need to be a smartaleck!” From the anxiety peoples mom. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious and I really don’t know why people can’t just sit the fuck down and do the same as everyone else is doing. You aren’t special and no one cares about you. 

The absolute gotdamn rule is that if you’re on a flight with assigned seats. Sit in your gotdamn seat that’s on the boarding pass. And the anxiety couple shoulda just solved the gotdamn issue by telling the other couple to GTFO of their seats. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So how did Window Woman know that the people across the aisle were OP's family? Did OP give them permission to speak? Were OP and Wife and Children braying in Fran Drescher voices? Were they doing that Tense Americans in Europe thing, where everyone is yelling what to do as if the ramp is about to drop on the landing craft? Was OP screaming at his Wife to give him liquor? Did OP introduce his family to Window Woman, but then tried to claim her as his "Airplane Wife?"

We all wore our matching berets. And split a whole apple pie.

image.jpeg.92b84835fa07996e13eb89d229ab5cc7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The absolute gotdamn rule is that if you’re on a flight with assigned seats. Sit in your gotdamn seat that’s on the boarding pass. And the anxiety couple shoulda just solved the gotdamn issue by telling the other couple to GTFO of their seats. 

Probably lost in my rambling is that it was actually an anxiety-off… neither couple would budge even after the FA told the original seat stealers to move. It was just strange all around. Not to mention the fat woman sitting next to me just bounced seats to across the aisle to sit with her friends (I did not mind) and when the flight attendant was trying to place people whose seats were stolen by the anxiety people, she just looked up and said “oh I be moved over here now”…. Fucking morons, all of them. 

3 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Probably lost in my rambling is that it was actually an anxiety-off… neither couple would budge even after the FA told the original seat stealers to move. It was just strange all around. Not to mention the fat woman sitting next to me just bounced seats to across the aisle to sit with her friends (I did not mind) and when the flight attendant was trying to place people whose seats were stolen by the anxiety people, she just looked up and said “oh I be moved over here now”…. Fucking morons, all of them. 

FA shoulda thrown the seat stealers off the plane. 

Also, I am all for less of a stigma around mental illness but shit it is a beating to be around people who are constantly requesting accommodations for some ephemeral bullshit problem you claim to have. Assholes throw that down like a trump card to get what they want and to void social contracts. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It doesn't change anyone, it just reaveals them in a confined space.

The people that are really scared of flying just shouldn’t fly. We were on one of my kid’s spring break trips to Mexico, or maybe the Bahamas, and a woman in her late 20s directly behind us whimpered and cried the entire flight. She just could not settle down. Her young husband or boyfriend tried to console her but nothing would help. It’s distressing to hear an adult cry and whimper for three hours.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That one pisses me off too.  My backpack takes up less space than your suitcase with 1/3 of your earthly possessions but I'm the problem?  If everyone would check their enormous fucking rolling bags we could all be off an on in 5 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1